Skill Scanner

so i guess my post or others in your thread wasn't what you were looking for? :)

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/technical/106331-help-enviromental-variable.html

it was, but it didnt tell me EXACTLY what to type :p

you must include in the PATH variable the "bin" sub-directory where java.exe and javaw.exe are located. this depends on where did you choose to install it. in my box, it is:

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin

how to add this to the PATH variable, in XP, is very easy:
- Right click on "My PC", select "Properties"
- Go to tab "Advanced options"
- Click button "Environment variables"
- Look for variable "Path" (under "System variables"), and add the directory i typed above.

most probably in vista it will be different, but i don't think that's something you cannot find yourself by googling a bit, eh? ;)

Edit: ok, ok, i looked it up for you :) see here:
http://www.javafaq.nu/murachs-java-se6-book/set-command-path-story.html
it's the same in vista more or less.

Yes you calculate the TT value change of each skill. This is linear, then you back calculate what TT value of skill you would require to reach XX professions. Then (sum(TT_value_required)-sum(current_skills_TT_value))
/ sum(TT_value_change_for_1kped_hunt)

not sure if i understood 100% what you're saying here, but in any case, how do you calculate TT_value_required for each skill?

if we're talking about natural skilling, we could assume skill gains in the same % in which they contribute for the profession, but then, we have cross-profession interactions in skills such as LWT/BLPWP and their (hit) and (dmg) professions; and we don't know how's the natural progress on them. or do we?

so, for instance, starting with LWT at 7500, and laser sniper 60, how can we know where LWT will be when we reach laser sniper 70 (with natural skilling) ?

it's been a long long day at work, so sorry if i'm asking something obvious... :)

argh, ok now the path does show up when i check it in the dos window so that must be correct, but i STILL get the darn error with that it cant find the main class and thus it will exit it says! :eyecrazy:

argh, ok now the path does show up when i check it in the dos window so that must be correct, but i STILL get the darn error with that it cant find the main class and thus it will exit it says! :eyecrazy:

are you trying to launch it from a MS-DOS window, or double-clicking the jar file?

if you try from the MS-DOS window, first move to the directory where you have the file "Scanner.jar"

then, make sure that "java.exe" is in the PATH variable (type C:> java and see if it outputs some text)

then type:

C:> java -jar Scanner.jar

are you trying to launch it from a MS-DOS window, or double-clicking the jar file?

if you try from the MS-DOS window, first move to the directory where you have the file "Scanner.jar"

then, make sure that "java.exe" is in the PATH variable (type C:> java and see if it outputs some text)

then type:

C:> java -jar Scanner.jar

I'm double clicking it. trying the dos window now aswell

nope no text shows up when typing c:> java and no prog runs on either way to start it. :(

GCS0001.jpg

that's what i get

Last edited:
I'm double clicking it. trying the dos window now aswell

nope no text shows up when typing c:> java and no prog runs on either way to start it. :(

at the risk of offending... you didn't type the "c:>" did you?

wow... lol, i just tried executing "c:> java" and it does as you say, no output. I expected some sort of "unable to parse" message.

In any case... just type "java" to see if it is in your PATH.

*edit*
ahh.. right, "c:> java" executes a change of drive "c:" and redirects the output to a file called java

Last edited:
at the risk of offending... you didn't type the "c:>" did you?

wow... lol, i just tried executing "c:> java" and it does as you say, no output. I expected some sort of "unable to parse" message.

In any case... just type "java" to see if it is in your PATH.

i did cause he didnt put any quotes around java :p but i think i tried that aswell, i'll redo to make sure.

ah that put out some text yes. trying the prog again then ok something happened atleast :p

Code:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
        at javax.swing.text.JTextComponent.updateUI(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.text.JTextComponent.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.JEditorPane.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.JEditorPane.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at Scanner.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: -100663296 incompatible with Text
-specific LCD contrast key
        at java.awt.RenderingHints.put(Unknown Source)
        at sun.awt.windows.WDesktopProperties.getDesktopAAHints(Unknown Source)
        at sun.awt.windows.WToolkit.getDesktopAAHints(Unknown Source)
        at sun.awt.SunToolkit.getDesktopFontHints(Unknown Source)
        at sun.awt.windows.WDesktopProperties.setDesktopAAHints(Unknown Source)
        at sun.awt.windows.WToolkit.initializeDesktopProperties(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Toolkit.getDesktopProperty(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.UIManager.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
        ... 5 more

sweet....

http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6503988

something to do with cleartype perhaps?

you beated me to it, carebear.
i was about to post that same link. the guy who got that error apparently tweaked the registry manually (or with the power toy app) to fine tune certain font parameters, and he set them to out-of-range, making the java system crash.
the registry entry was "FontSmoothingGamma", the guy deleted the entry and everything worked ok.

woohoo tis works!! but i havent tweaked the values though, i just have them on, now they are off though. so i guess i'll run with that for some time :D

Yes you calculate the TT value change of each skill. This is linear, then you back calculate what TT value of skill you would require to reach XX professions. Then (sum(TT_value_required)-sum(current_skills_TT_value))/sum(TT_value_change_for_1kped_hunt)

That doesn't work, it's not that simple, as jdegre points out below.

not sure if i understood 100% what you're saying here, but in any case, how do you calculate TT_value_required for each skill?

if we're talking about natural skilling, we could assume skill gains in the same % in which they contribute for the profession, but then, we have cross-profession interactions in skills such as LWT/BLPWP and their (hit) and (dmg) professions; and we don't know how's the natural progress on them. or do we?

so, for instance, starting with LWT at 7500, and laser sniper 60, how can we know where LWT will be when we reach laser sniper 70 (with natural skilling) ?

it's been a long long day at work, so sorry if i'm asking something obvious... :)

I thought this would be something fairly easy for you to calculate, because you must know the skill curves for the chipping optimizer, right?

For example...

You're at level 65.66 laser pistoleer

you go on a 1000 ped hunt

adding those skills gained, you're at level 65.71

couldn't you calculate over and over again what skill levels you'd be at, adding the skill gains from that hunt, and count the number of times you'd have to do it to reach level 70?

I have a request.

Since you know the skill curves, it would be nice if you could, for example, scan your skills, go on a 1000 ped hunt, scan your skills again, and in the progress section, or a new section, it would show you

How many times you'd need to repeat this to reach:

Commando:
Kill Strike:
Combat Sense:
Quickness:
Avoidance:
etc.

Is there a way I can do this now, manually?

Did you ever set up Python to run the messy script i sent? If you have python working i could send you a newer version that can do that with a little manual input.

I thought this would be something fairly easy for you to calculate, because you must know the skill curves for the chipping optimizer, right?

For example...

You're at level 65.66 laser pistoleer

you go on a 1000 ped hunt

adding those skills gained, you're at level 65.71

couldn't you calculate over and over again what skill levels you'd be at, adding the skill gains from that hunt, and count the number of times you'd have to do it to reach level 70?

yeah, it should be pretty straightforward using an iterative process (something similar to what the chipping optimizer does). what i meant with my answer to immortal was that a direct calculation does not seem feasible, at least at first glance.

the only problem would be to cross unlockable skills (such as going from 45 to 55, which crosses 50 and you'll unlock CS), but if we forget about them, then i think it would not be too hard to implement. now the hard part: finding time to do it :silly2:

Did you ever set up Python to run the messy script i sent? If you have python working i could send you a newer version that can do that with a little manual input.

Uhh, no. :ahh: But I can do that, if you can send it.

yeah, it should be pretty straightforward using an iterative process (something similar to what the chipping optimizer does). what i meant with my answer to immortal was that a direct calculation does not seem feasible, at least at first glance.

the only problem would be to cross unlockable skills (such as going from 45 to 55, which crosses 50 and you'll unlock CS), but if we forget about them, then i think it would not be too hard to implement. now the hard part: finding time to do it :silly2:

PM me your boss' phone number. I'll call him and tell him you have more important things to do. :D

I would like to make a nice graph-progress-whatever-table out of this data.

Anyone have a proper idea of doing this?

In this case (as i explain below) i assume that TT gain of skill is the same for each hunt. It's a lot easier to work with real numbers on this one, but say in his 1kped hunt, Xen goes up (a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,j,k,l,m) in related skills, which translates to a TT_value. We then use the template for all hunts. We get the direct % contributions from Xen's data i.e. we assume nothing to begin with, but from data we rationalize that the progression is the same on each hunt - for this to make any kind of sense, it is justifiable that the TT value of the skill gains will be the same, even if the skills themselves are not (we know they are not, due to the curve).

And if the TT value of a skillgain wasn't linear?

Xen said:
Not that simple

Damn right it's not, but I will be happy to give you an approximation if you provide me with figures - all i would need is your exact figures (if you are happy to post them/PM) and i will show what i mean. i think though that 1kped isn't enough, as the changes in TT value is very small so there is always going to be ±0.005 (difficulty arises because the curve itself appears to be a variant of A.exp(B.sin(c.x)), however if jdegre gave a print of TT_value with greater precision, this may clear up some fuzziness.

Yes, difficulty arises (we are talking 12+variables). I think it works much better with numbers - easier to explain that way. Things like combat sense make it harder to work out - besides.... skillgains are in theory avatar dependent - especially with differing hunting tactics.

What i would prefer?
More data. e.g. go on the same hunt three times. Seven times or more preferable because of 1/sqrt(n) error.

But i am happy to work with what you've got :)

Edit: And doer's done it. Wise guy. (his own words btw :D)

Last edited:
Uhh, no. :ahh: But I can do that, if you can send it.

I'd rather you spend a little time checking it to make sure it seems to be correct.

http://esi.coolinc.info/progress.cgi

Paste in the jdegre-CSV file as it shows up in notepad (ie don't paste from excel because it will have tabs, not commas). It should calculate roughly how many repetitions of the activities between the two snapshots would be needed to reach the designated level. It ignores unlocks and attribute gains -- the latter aren't easy to predict and contribute little, anyway.

It can be broken; i'm more interested in knowing if it seems accurate. I tried a few sets and it gave plausible answers for those. I'll be adding more professions.

It tells me it will take 11x more the skilling i did from February to April to unlock Commando, and 25x that much for Kill Strike. Apparently i can unlock Commando in two years. :( And Kill Strike -- in four. :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: Xen
I'd rather you spend a little time checking it to make sure it seems to be correct.

http://esi.coolinc.info/progress.cgi

Paste in the jdegre-CSV file as it shows up in notepad (ie don't paste from excel because it will have tabs, not commas). It should calculate roughly how many repetitions of the activities between the two snapshots would be needed to reach the designated level. It ignores unlocks and attribute gains -- the latter aren't easy to predict and contribute little, anyway.

It can be broken; i'm more interested in knowing if it seems accurate. I tried a few sets and it gave plausible answers for those. I'll be adding more professions.

PS You can use the back button to avoid re-pasting the skills each time.

It tells me it will take 11x more the skilling i did from February to April to unlock Commando, and 25x that much for Kill Strike. Apparently i can unlock Commando in two years. :( And Kill Strike -- in four. :eek:

My data is using handgun and you have only sniper there, so I just switched my handgun and rifle values.

The estimates seem ok, but I don't really know.

My data is using handgun and you have only sniper there, so I just switched my handgun and rifle values.

The estimates seem ok, but I don't really know.

Laser pistoleer/blp pistoleer are both there :scratch2:

9.3 breaks the skill scanner?

They changed the skill interface, which I presume means the Skill Scanner doesn't work any more. Nooooooooooooooo!!! I only just started using it about 3 weeks ago and man what a time saver! Now I'm back to typing my skills in to EntropiaTools.com

Any plays to update it for the new GUI? (I'm guessing it's more than a couple of hours of rework. :mad: )

This was the first thing I thought of when I read about the changes before it came online :hammer:

Data!
Nothing found!

Doesn't work now.

And I hope MA making it white text against a yellow background (progress bar) - low contrast - doesn't make things difficult for jdegre. :rolleyes:

The amount of changes to the skills section has been crazy the last year, almost as though they dont want people to have an easy way to keep track of skills :scratch2: bizarre really because for me its very motivational to my hunting to use it as progress is much clearer.

The amount of changes to the skills section has been crazy the last year, almost as though they dont want people to have an easy way to keep track of skills :scratch2: bizarre really because for me its very motivational to my hunting to use it as progress is much clearer.

Yes, changing it yet again and making it white text on a yellow background kind of makes one think "hmmmmmm...". But MA wouldn't try to keep us from tracking skill gains, would they? I mean then we couldn't spot skill nerfs...

On the other hand, i think the contrast is better now. Why they feel the need to keep changing it, i don't know, but hopefully this is easier to parse. They took out the alternating bars, so counting things by hand is going to require a bit more than it did before.

On the other hand, i think the contrast is better now. Why they feel the need to keep changing it, i don't know, but hopefully this is easier to parse. They took out the alternating bars, so counting things by hand is going to require a bit more than it did before.

You think the white on yellow provides better contrast than the white on green (when the progress bar has reached the number)?

I find it harder to read just with my eyes...

Data!
Nothing found!

Doesn't work now.

And I hope MA making it white text against a yellow background (progress bar) - low contrast - doesn't make things difficult for jdegre. :rolleyes:

Yeah i somehow think it was bothering them that most of us would check value of the skill gain after each hunt or something.. why else would they put a so low contrast between the bar and the number..

Back