Skill Scanner

I jsut found this awesome program and used it ONCE before the VU. Definetly can't wait to be able to keep using it.

I got my own Profession Screen Scanner working but it's going to take awhile to get the Skill Screen Fixed (if ever - not very motivated).

James

my skill scanner is working fine... i get a ruler check to see how many mm the skills bar has then divide by a number i got crossing skills and values and... voila... precision of 0.1 XD
(no use telling the number i got cause it will change from monitor to monitor)

but i really rather use jdegre tool XD

Data!
Nothing found!

Doesn't work now.

anyone that knows what the problem could be?

i really want to get this app working, so that i can see what skills to chip in.

greatfull for answers.

SWEET :) great job

anyone that knows what the problem could be?

i really want to get this app working, so that i can see what skills to chip in.

greatfull for answers.

the problem is that MA has changed the skill panel design in this VU. chech previous posts. i'm working on a new version but it will take time.

in the mean time, if you want to see what skills to chip in for a certain profession goal, you can always enter manually the skills in the chipping optimizer. that's something you don't usually do every day, do you? :)

some good news...

i have a new version now that correctly parses skill text, numbers and progress bar in my computer.

and now the bad news...

it needs much more testing to adapt to a wider gamma range of values, and light conditions. it is pretty different to make the OCR work in my PC than to make it work in all PCs. the fine tuning of the OCR in the previous version of the skill scanner took me more than a week, and i had much more free time back then. so don't expect a new release in a while.

also, i need bitmaps of those un-lockable skills that i don't have yet (which are a lot... hehe).

i'll probably do later on a "call for screenshots" to collect all these data.

cheers,
/jdegre.

Nice work jdegre. Happy to help beta testing as and when you need it.

is it just me who is retarded, cause i cant fiture out how to enter the skills manually.

also, i need bitmaps of those un-lockable skills that i don't have yet (which are a lot... hehe).

Ouch, yeah... of course...

But i am rather positive you have all my unlocked skills :D

the problem is that MA has changed the skill panel design in this VU. chech previous posts. i'm working on a new version but it will take time.

in the mean time, if you want to see what skills to chip in for a certain profession goal, you can always enter manually the skills in the chipping optimizer. that's something you don't usually do every day, do you? :)

is it just me who is retarded, cause i cant fiture out how to enter the skills manually.

Did you try at this site: http://www.jdegre.net/pe/unlocker.php

It can help you chipping in or out, but it does not count your totals. For that we're waiting on the good work jdegre is putting into this.

Did you try at this site: http://www.jdegre.net/pe/unlocker.php

It can help you chipping in or out, but it does not count your totals. For that we're waiting on the good work jdegre is putting into this.

well, it does count your totals :)
just select from the profession list "show all skills", and the "level" shows your total skills. you can use it as any other profession, setting a target of, say, 150k skills, and let the program tell you the cheapest path.

Got no idea, how those scanners work.
Do you scan the bars or "read" the skill number ?
Are the new colours that problematic ?

Got no idea, how those scanners work.
Do you scan the bars or "read" the skill number ?
Are the new colours that problematic ?

it is easier to read the numbers if the contrast between the font color and the background is high.
white over black is easy; white over a gradient of yellow/white is hard.

well, it does count your totals :)
just select from the profession list "show all skills", and the "level" shows your total skills. you can use it as any other profession, setting a target of, say, 150k skills, and let the program tell you the cheapest path.

Ah, nice! There's something new to learn every day ;)

some good news...

i have a new version now that correctly parses skill text, numbers and progress bar in my computer.

and now the bad news...

it needs much more testing to adapt to a wider gamma range of values, and light conditions. it is pretty different to make the OCR work in my PC than to make it work in all PCs.

Me three. Do i smell a pathetically small bounty due to all the tightwads? :laugh: Any chance i can test this today, as i'm tired of skilling the same two mostly orthogonal professions and want to change mobs &tc.? (Yes, i'm a bit OC...) :D

and probably blind (as usual) but does this awesome tool still working for the updated skill panel? :)

Borr: yes, i've tried that site. and the thing is, i can nor log in, and i dont understand how to get my skills into there.. cause i dont understand how to get my skills into wiki either.

so, please someone. help me.

after looking into the site a little bit more, i found out how do get the skills in there.. but ty anyway.

and probably blind (as usual) but does this awesome tool still working for the updated skill panel? :)

some good news...

and now the bad news...

it needs much more testing to adapt to a wider gamma range of values, and light conditions. it is pretty different to make the OCR work in my PC than to make it work in all PCs. the fine tuning of the OCR in the previous version of the skill scanner took me more than a week, and i had much more free time back then. so don't expect a new release in a while.

i'll probably do later on a "call for screenshots" to collect all these data.

cheers,
/jdegre.

There ya go.

Me three. Do i smell a pathetically small bounty due to all the tightwads? :laugh: Any chance i can test this today, as i'm tired of skilling the same two mostly orthogonal professions and want to change mobs &tc.? (Yes, i'm a bit OC...) :D

i'm not doing this for the bounty (although any bounty small or big is appreciated, of course, hehehe). i'm doing it because:
- i want this functionality myself :D
- for all the people that have donated and contributed supporting the development of the tool
- because i enjoy doing it (but if you ask me, i'd prefer not having to do it after every new VU :laugh:)

now, having said that, and if i eventually manage to make a new version as "reliable" as before, well, of course people are very welcome to "support" my efforts in the way they prefer.

I am very happy to see that the initial impression of "It's going to be impossible to fix the skill scanner" has been replaced with a "It now works, and needs fine tuning before release."

Way to go Jdegre.
+ rep.

As a side note:

I am sure that MA must make backups of the data relating to EU at least once a day.
With this in mind, all they should need to do is add in a section of code that then scans this backup, and extracts the skills for each active avi (IE an avi who has logged in since the last backup) and updates the (I wish it existed) "My skills" page.
I am sure most players would be perfectly happy with a "my skills" page that was updated once a day (I would be happy with once a week!).
I don't want/need to know my skills down to the very second, and I am sure all members feel the same, most of the time.
There are, of course, times when a person undertakes an "experiment/research" and wishes to know the skills at the start and end, but this is not an everyday thing, nor does it apply to everybody. Under these circumstances it is not hard work to write down the 14 skills relating to "BLP sniper (Hit)" both before and after the "experiment".
It's just a major pain in the ass to do it for the 80 (Ish) skills, even if you only do it once a month.

I am very happy to see that the initial impression of "It's going to be impossible to fix the skill scanner" has been replaced with a "It now works, and needs fine tuning before release."

Way to go Jdegre.
+ rep.

Yeah, that's good news. :yay:

I am sure that MA must make backups of the data relating to EU at least once a day.
With this in mind, all they should need to do is add in a section of code that then scans this backup, and extracts the skills for each active avi (IE an avi who has logged in since the last backup) and updates the (I wish it existed) "My skills" page.

A database query to insert the current skills into a web page is so "cheap" as to be inconsequential, especially compared to the volume of those that happen every second in the game. In fact, adding a "My Skills" page would be extremely easy in the spectrum of game development difficulty (slightly more involved than changing the skills panel, i expect), and the fact that they told jdegre they had no intention of doing so is a strange enough response as to evoke conspiracy theories (as Jimmy B mentioned). What is it about our skills that they are so afraid about everyone knowing?

now i've got the skills into the site.
and the there comes another problem. how do i do to save them? do i have to get an account or is there another way?

now i've got the skills into the site.
and the there comes another problem. how do i do to save them? do i have to get an account or is there another way?

you need an account to save them in the tool's database; accounts are given as a gift to donators.
however, you can enter your skills in entropiawiki.com, and import them from there.
also, you can generate a CSV file manually, and use it as an import source as well.

all this is explained in the tool instructions, btw :)

I donated a couple months ago. :)

And maybe I'm a bit OC in some regards also... please can I test? :laugh:

Yeah, that's good news. :yay:

A database query to insert the current skills into a web page is so "cheap" as to be inconsequential, especially compared to the volume of those that happen every second in the game. In fact, adding a "My Skills" page would be extremely easy in the spectrum of game development difficulty (slightly more involved than changing the skills panel, i expect), and the fact that they told jdegre they had no intention of doing so is a strange enough response as to evoke conspiracy theories (as Jimmy B mentioned). What is it about our skills that they are so afraid about everyone knowing?

Well, I think it's reasonable to suspect that they would prefer us to not notice skill nerfs.

Well, I think it's reasonable to suspect that they would prefer us to not notice skill nerfs.

Traditional skill nerfs are pretty easy to spot as in the past they've just increased the skill volume needed to fill an the same amount of ESI. So anyone who chips much will notice it almost straight away.

If they lowered skill gain rate instead I guess that'd be harder to spot but I reckon people would notice fairly quickly anyway.

i've made a new version of the skill scanner that, hopefully, will work with the new skill screens.

i've been testing v0.11 it with a closed group of testers, and so far, it doesn't look too bad. most of them have reported success in the OCR, while others have reported errors, which should be fixed now in this version (v0.12).

so, everyone willing to do further testing, please go to:

http://jdegre.net/pe/scanner

and start testing with the new screens.

please, remember, this is beta; it might not work ok (the OCR part), and you could have your skill numbers completely wrong. so, don't do anything "serious" with these data until the new version is more stable.

also, posting here "i had errors in the OCR" does not help; instead, taking screenshots of the failures and sending them to me does help a lot.

/jdegre.

Worked like a charm.
Only two quirks found are the missing material designer and material manufacterer.

Back