Skill Scanner

Just tried the new version and it works well in combination with autoscreen ( autoscreen does a screenshot too but thats obvious)

great to hear that! let's keep finger crossed, thou :)

My only issue (a minor one) is the parsing time using win2k ... parsing the skill values takes 12-15 sec which seams a bit much but might be just a problem on my pc

i guess you're running EU in high-res (1600x1200) or so? if so, this time is normal, although it can be highly optimized. in my case, i run EU in 1024x768, full-window, and it takes no more than 2-3 secs./panel.

something to remember is to press ALT + PrntScrn when in windowed mode. It would work fine by pressing just PrntScrn, but that would make my program to do extra work looking for the skills panel in your windows desktop :silly2:

i guess you're running EU in high-res (1600x1200) or so? if so, this time is normal, although it can be highly optimized. in my case, i run EU in 1024x768, full-window, and it takes no more than 2-3 secs./panel.

Ahh yes did not think too much about it :silly2: Anyway great tool and even with 20 secs to parse better than do it by hand :laugh:

Tested version 0.4 in conjunction with PE ass.

It works as far as i can see flawlessly

+ rep

Updated my stats on entropiawiki.com

Cheers
Richard
(ingame Siam)

Just tested version 0.4 yesterday ... Works perfectly with my setup (windowed mode, with prtsc key... also gamma works fine!)
Gave you a rep+ for the nice program! This gives me a lot of headaches less because now I don't have to use a calculator anymore! :yay:
NRF was nice... but this program is build much very userfriendly, way to go! :wtg:

Keep up the good work!

Tested right now with Fraps running works prefect :) i hate counting skills manually big +rep :)

Excellent, jdegre - how I have missed this functionality since 9.1 :) +rep
Works perfectly for me.

Is it possible for it to ignore irrelevant clipboard entrys? So that if it does not find the skill window, or you copy/paste text in another application, it ignores it transparently? As it is now, it kills other additions to the clipboard (copy/pasting text does not work).

Out of curiosity, which takes more time - finding the skill window or parsing the skills?

Excellent, jdegre - how I have missed this functionality since 9.1 :) +rep
Works perfectly for me.

Is it possible for it to ignore irrelevant clipboard entrys? So that if it does not find the skill window, or you copy/paste text in another application, it ignores it transparently? As it is now, it kills other additions to the clipboard (copy/pasting text does not work).

Out of curiosity, which takes more time - finding the skill window or parsing the skills?

did you try with latest version (0.04) ?... the copy/pasting not working should be also a consequence of a bug with version 0.03, the same bug that created interferences with PEAss, AutoScreen, etc; now, people are reporting that these inteactions are gone, and in fact, copy/pasting works fine for me in my machine... :scratch2:

the time spent finding the skill window depends heavily on you screen resolution. for me, at 1024, it takes no more than 1-2 second, but in 1600 it could take 6-7 seconds or more.
once the skill window is located, the parsing time is the same for all resolutions (around a couple of seconds).

Dont get a errormessage in fullscreen, when i tab out the program is 100% white.. No text, no nothing..

So i buggfixxed it myself.. started the game in windowmode, captured, restarted.. works like a charm ;)

I have the same issue as Zabler, whenever I run fullscreen and tab out only the "frame" of the program is visible, the inside is filled with whatever was on the EU screen. Moving another program over it replaces it with that content. Seems like it's not updated somehow. I still works as supposed, except that you can't see it. You can even export the skills if you manage to hit the invisible button...but needless to say that's a little tricky. The dialog that pops up asking where to save the info is also invisible, except the title bar.

Update: if you manage to hit the export button, then close the dialog button, the bottommost info window and the buttons become visible again, but the skills panel and most other stuff is still invisible.

Problem is solved for me by turning off anti-aliasing.
I tried using both the CL option for using AA and the NVIDA Control Panel thing of forcing it to use it and both methods result in the aforementioned problem. When disabling it it works like it should.

If I remember correctly, and since PEAss is mentioned a lot here, I have an AA problem with that too. This one prevents me from running EU after enabling AA in the CL; get the error message "Renderer creation error, DirectX renderer could not be created.", but forcing it through the NVIDIA CP works fine. Probably isn't the same issue as I don't get any error messages when using the skill scanner, but I'd rather give too much than too little info.

The program is very nice when it works. :)

Just tried version .4, and worked very well, but a few comments:

Missed a few newer skills:

Explosive Projectile Weaponry Technology
Material Extraction Methodology
Texture Engineering
Texture Pattern Matching
and was wondering if you might consider a tool to read the professions stats?

:D

Another great tool by one of our finest entropians !

thx a lot jake for the detailed report. tbh, i'm totally clueless wrt what might be causing this problem. the GUI of the program is using 100% standard Java APIs (100% swing components), so i can only think on some problems (bug) with the Java system itself and EU/DirectX for certain graphic drivers.
i'm using also nvidia cards, with AA activated and full-screen mode, and i can tab out from EU and use the program with no problem. i'll keep an eye on this, but as i said, i don't know even where to start from, to find the cause of the problem :)

at least, it's nice to know there's a workaround, either using window-mode, or deactivating AA

+rep for a exlent app!!

Is there any reason to download later versions (so far) if the first version works for us?

Just tried version .4, and worked very well, but a few comments:

Missed a few newer skills:

Explosive Projectile Weaponry Technology
Material Extraction Methodology
Texture Engineering
Texture Pattern Matching
and was wondering if you might consider a tool to read the professions stats?

:D

hmmm, these skills should be handled by the program and they are working ok for other people (there are certain high-level ulockable skills which are indeed unrecognized by the program yet, since i need screenshots for them).

when you are parsing the skill panel with one of these skills, could you please try to see what's in the text console, at the bottom of the app.? there should be text there telling which skills have been found.

if you are 100% positive that the program is not parsing them, could you please send me a screenshot of your skill panels, to see if i can reproduce the bug? please, send it to (jdegre AT gmail DOT com)

@Xen: no need. version 0.04 only includes the bug fix for the clipboard problem interaction with peass and autoscreen.

Great! it works Fine! :yay: +rep!

Could you tell me if the Program works for Profession levels too? :rolleyes:

I have the same issue as Zabler, whenever I run fullscreen and tab out only the "frame" of the program is visible, the inside is filled with whatever was on the EU screen.
(...)
Problem is solved for me by turning off anti-aliasing.
I tried using both the CL option for using AA and the NVIDA Control Panel thing of forcing it to use it and both methods result in the aforementioned problem. When disabling it it works like it should.

thx a lot jake for the detailed report. tbh, i'm totally clueless wrt what might be causing this problem. the GUI of the program is using 100% standard Java APIs (100% swing components), so i can only think on some problems (bug) with the Java system itself and EU/DirectX for certain graphic drivers.

i think i found the issue here:

Bug ID: 6311320 Swing applications are blank or blurry when fullscreen-AA is enabled in video card settings

effectively, it seems to be a bug with Java 5 (only?), that makes java GUIs (based on Swing, as mine) to fail in the rendering when AA is activated.

i'm running Java 6 and did not experience the issue. maybe you and zabler could try with latest Java version (if that's not what you're already using).

if you guys are already running java 6, then maybe it is time to file a bug report to the java creators :D

@levitanikos: not, it does not work with the profession panel

i think i found the issue here:

Bug ID: 6311320 Swing applications are blank or blurry when fullscreen-AA is enabled in video card settings

effectively, it seems to be a bug with Java 5 (only?), that makes java GUIs (based on Swing, as mine) to fail in the rendering when AA is activated.

i'm running Java 6 and did not experience the issue. maybe you and zabler could try with latest Java version (if that's not what you're already using).

if you guys are already running java 6, then maybe it is time to file a bug report to the java creators :D

I thought I was using Java 6 but downloaded the update just to be sure. java -version gives me <build 1.6.0_04-b12> so I assume that's indeed the case.

The problem remains. I'll check if downloading the new SDK as well does any difference, I only have 1.5 there.

Thanks for trying. :)

EDIT: SDK didn't change anything, no.

Last edited:
Works a treat. The best things in life are simple. And this app is the best. No mistakes. Thankyou jdegre. It's awesome. Plus rep.

I thought I was using Java 6 but downloaded the update just to be sure. java -version gives me <build 1.6.0_04-b12> so I assume that's indeed the case.

The problem remains. I'll check if downloading the new SDK as well does any difference, I only have 1.5 there.

Thanks for trying. :)

EDIT: SDK didn't change anything, no.

well, that is bad news.... i can only suggest the following:

- try with other java apps (from Sun themselves), and see if they show the same behaviour; that would help determine if the problem is with Java of with my app.; for instance, you can try with the following swing demo:
Password Store
and try alt-tabbing out from EU full-screen, and see what happens...

- try uninstalling all jdk and jre versions, and do a fresh install of latest version

Been doing some more testing.
Autoscreen needs to be closed on my PC, or I get crashes. It's not the Skillscanner that crashes tho, nor the autoscreen, but the result is no pictures taken.
No worries tho, that conflict is easily fixed, and it only takes 5 seconds to start autoscreen again when finished skill counting ;)

Steve Mischief

How about adding auto-screenie functionality to your app?
It already captures images, so maybe it doesn't involce much additional work to grab a screenie when the global/hofs files are invoked, and then save the image?

Just a thought ;)

How about adding auto-screenie functionality to your app?
It already captures images, so maybe it doesn't involce much additional work to grab a screenie when the global/hofs files are invoked, and then save the image?

Just a thought ;)

hmmm, i don't think it could be done in a platform-independent manner; most probably it would imply writing windows-specific code, and that's not an option so far.

also, it is kindof unrelated to the skill-oriented nature of my app, so i think it is better to have different small specialized apps, instead of a single mega-bloated app.

otoh, i'm focusing in adding other features (which, i believe, are pretty uselful, and i bet you'll love it).... :) i'll try to upload a new version later tonight

Hope you put Profession Level Scanning in the new Update :)

well, that is bad news.... i can only suggest the following:

- try with other java apps (from Sun themselves), and see if they show the same behaviour; that would help determine if the problem is with Java of with my app.; for instance, you can try with the following swing demo:
Password Store
and try alt-tabbing out from EU full-screen, and see what happens...

- try uninstalling all jdk and jre versions, and do a fresh install of latest version

Good idea, I tried that app and get the same problem when alt-tabbing out of EU. This confirms that it's not your program that is the cause, as we both thought. :)
However, and this is kinda weird in my opinion, I tried running the Crysis demo instead of EU and did the same alt-tab thing. This works perfectly, and I made sure that it also uses anti-aliasing...so it's a problem with EU itself? I'm stumped. Might try reinstalling java all over tomorrow, not really up for that tonight.

But anyway, thanks for the help. :) I'll probably just disable AA when using this excellent app and stop looking for a cause now...a little above my level I feel, and kinda time-wasting.

incorrect reads....

Great tool so far but I have a glitch to report:

The reading of the skill levels can sometimes be incorrect. For example

Wounding is 5964 but read as 594.43
Weapon Handling is 6160 but read as 610.09
Sweat Gatherer is 136 but read as 13.64
Shortblades is 1852 but read as 182.54

If you need anymore examples let me know. I would estimate that about 20 skills are read incorrectly however the majority are correct.

System info (time for a new computer)

res = 1024/768
Full screen mode
Color depth = 16 bit
Antialiasing = No AA
Visual Quality = Minimum

Great work jdegre and a +rep for you :)

Tekkie.

Last edited:
Great tool so far but I have a glitch to report:

The reading of the skill levels can sometimes be incorrect. For example

(...)

System info (time for a new computer)

res = 1024/768
Full screen mode
Color depth = 16 bit
Antialiasing = No AA
Visual Quality = Minimum

Great work jdegre and a +rep for you :)

Tekkie.

hi tekkie,
i'd need screenshots with the skills that were incorrectly parsed; could you please send them to the email address in the chipping optimizer page? (in BMP format, if possible; PNG would also be ok, but not JPG).

most probably, the cause is the color depth (100% of screenshots i could test with, were all at 24 or 32 bits depth).
thx for reporting!

Great program, fills the gap created by VU 9.1 making NRF not work. Thanks.

version 0.05

i have just uploaded version 0.05; i have included a new feature, which calculates skill volume (tt value of the equiv. ESI chip) and market value of your skills, everything on the fly, at the same time of the scanning process. columns are sortable too, so you can sort your skills per market value descending, and see in the first positions where do you have a higher cash "potential".

i have uploaded a screenshot with some random skill values:

enjoy :)
/jdegre.

Back