Skill Scanner

It doesn't currently parse professions. NRF may still work for that. I haven't tested recently.

yeah, and EUComp should work for professions too.

i'm still undecided about implementing it or not in the skill scanner. it turns out that MA has localized the profession texts, so this adds an extra complication that was not planned. fortunately, they have kept english-only text for skills. i don't know if this feature will ever make it to the skill scanner.

Except in the case of professions that haven't been fully deconvoluted yet, you can always find your professional standings based on your skills in the chipping optimizer.

i would be much more inclined to implement a feature in the skill scanner that sends a request to the server (jdegre.net) and, together with the current skill market value calculations, returns the pro standings associated to this set of skills.

i'll give it a thought, but i like this idea much more than writing the parser for professions.

/jdegre.

For some reason skill scanner .08 has stopped working for me (was working fine for a few weeks before this started), and I can't figure out anything different besides that I installed autoscreen (not running atm).

I checked the clipboard - everything looks just fine there.

It gets to the "Data!" point then nothing further happens. I can 'clear skills' and get a "Cancelled!" message, but that's about it.

tnx for any help...

jt

version 0.09

hi,
i've just uploaded version 0.09, and it includes a feature that, imo, is really useful; it allows you to compare the skill gains between 2 different skills sets, your current scan, and a skill set saved in the chipping optimizer.

so, for instance, this is a screenshot taken just a few minutes ago from my real skills, after a 100k ammo run (well, it was actually 4 runs of 25k ammo each); you can check the skills gains:

as you can see, there are now 3 tabs:
- current scan: the values you are currently scanning from ingame skills
- saved skills: your skill set stored in the chipping optimizer. you can load them in just 1 click with the button "Load skills from...."
- Progress: the difference (in skills points, tt, and market value) for each skill, and also for the whole skill set

once you have finished comparing your old and new skill sets, you can save your current scanned skills in the database, and use them as a reference for further progress checks.

well, hope you find it useful....

(also, i have added minor corrections and improvements to the scanning algorithms, but they are not critical, except if you're running a localized version of EU; past versions only worked in the english EU client, this one should work in all languages).

cheers,
/jdegre.

I find that feature really useful, jdegre!

Would it be possible to load our "old" skills from our Hard Disk ? :)

I find that feature really useful, jdegre!

Would it be possible to load our "old" skills from our Hard Disk ? :)

well, i have reserved on purpose this feature to donators (i.e. account holders).

hope you understand :)

cheers,
/jdegre.

well, i have reserved on purpose this feature to donators (i.e. account holders).

hope you understand :)

cheers,
/jdegre.

ah ok. I do understand and absolutely agree with that !
Keep up the good work :)

just got the scanner and it loads fine so i go ingame press k for the skill window to open and then press alt print screen i hear the capture button then a few seconds later the confirmation sound then i goto the skill sanner andin the log box it shows Data and then then the line under it says nothing found?

any one else had this problem or am i doing something wrong maybe its me because i carnt get nrf to work either

lulu

just got the scanner and it loads fine so i go ingame press k for the skill window to open and then press alt print screen i hear the capture button then a few seconds later the confirmation sound then i goto the skill sanner andin the log box it shows Data and then then the line under it says nothing found?

any one else had this problem or am i doing something wrong maybe its me because i carnt get nrf to work either

lulu

the "nothing found" text means that the program could not find the position of the skill window. could you please take a screenshot (in BMP) and email it to me to this address: <jdegre at gmail dot com> ?

i assume that you're running version 0.09, right?. version 0.08 does not detect correctly the skill window if you are using a non-english EU client.

lulu

Forgive the stupid question, but did you press Alt-<prtsc> while you had the EU window active? If you had a different window in the foreground, it won't capture EU.

:ahh:

Forgive the stupid question, but did you press Alt-<prtsc> while you had the EU window active? If you had a different window in the foreground, it won't capture EU.

:ahh:

@doer
i was pressing alt printscreen and sometimes just print screen

the print screen pics wld only show my desktop
the alt printscreen wld only show a blank screen:scratch2::scratch2:

this was in full mode i then restarted my pc and tried EU in window mode and now alt printscreen works and the skill scanner also works know:wtg:

@jdegre yes i was using the 0.09

but thanks for the help and get tool jdegre

Some amazing developers in this game...thanks m8...great little application :wtg:

Professions calculator tool

I have written a little application (as part of a larger project) for my own use and want to offer it to the community now.

It calculates the professional standings based on the percentages in Jimmy B.s thread (https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/skills/65283-impact-skills-professions.html) from the .csv-files (skill scanner files) and adds them to the file.

Modified this way, uploading it to Entropedia: Upload avatar statistics will set not only skills values, but professions, which in turn will enable you to make use of enhanced features of entropedia like skill based weapon/fap comparison and such!

At the moment, i'm not able to provide a 24/7 download link, anyone interested should send me a PM with a valid email address to send it to.

The usage is pretty simple, either drag the .csv file generated by jdegres skill scanner on the program icon, or open the executable and select the file you want to update with the professional standing values in the upcoming file dialog.

I expect this to be only a temporary solution as jdegres tool is still under construction and this might become obsolete in the future!

Disclaimer:
If you're not using a gold card or have any reservations about it or don't trust me enough: Don't request the file from me!
(But feel free to scan it for malware before using it!)

thx wizzszz (damn, your name is really hard to type it right...:laugh:) for sharing this. nice addition to the tool.

regarding the next update of the scanner (which is half coded atm), i will include this professions-handling feature, but as commented in previous posts, they will not be scanned, but calculated server-side (as it is done today with the chipping optimizer).

it will allow the same "progress tracking" as it does now with the skills, but applied to professions, so you can compare how your pro-standings look like in the current scanned set, in the stored set, and the progress between them.

Thanks jdegre :)

Awesome tool

I have written a little application (as part of a larger project) for my own use and want to offer it to the community now.

Thanks Wizzszz, the app works perfectly. I've checked the calculated professional standings against my own ingame, and they all seem to be correct.

+rep for a great addition to the tool

Thx Wizzszz for the profession tool... Will have a look at it asap when I'home from work!

Rep+ for it!

version 0.10

i've just uploaded version 0.10; as commented in previous posts, it includes the professions, calculated from the % of influence of each skill.

you can check here how to use it:

the professions are calculated everytime you scan a new screen shot, so if you have not captured and processed all of them, the results will not be correct.

the professions are exported in the CSV file, together with the skills, but under a different sections ( [Skills] and [Professions] ).

you can also load skills from the chipping optimizer database, and the app. calculates the profession levels, and shows the progression between them:

all current professions are displayed, except the texture-related professions (Material Manufacturer and Material Designer) which are still unknown.

btw, if you want to help to solve these two remaining professions, the easiest way is by capturing the profession screens before and after the chipping (in or out) of any of the related skills. check jimmy's sticky to see these related skills. drop me a PM or post here in case of doubt.

cheers,
/jdegre.

i've just uploaded version 0.10; as commented in previous posts, it includes the professions, calculated from the % of influence of each skill.

you can check here how to use it:

the professions are calculated everytime you scan a new screen shot, so if you have not captured and processed all of them, the results will not be correct.

the professions are exported in the CSV file, together with the skills, but under a different sections ( [Skills] and [Professions] ).

you can also load skills from the chipping optimizer database, and the app. calculates the profession levels, and shows the progression between them:

all current professions are displayed, except the texture-related professions (Material Manufacturer and Material Designer) which are still unknown.

btw, if you want to help to solve these two remaining professions, the easiest way is by capturing the profession screens before and after the chipping (in or out) of any of the related skills. check jimmy's sticky to see these related skills. drop me a PM or post here in case of doubt.

cheers,
/jdegre.

WOOT! you added Professions :woohoo:

+rep for you again my friend THANKS! :yay:

Nice features added. I can't wait to see it working.
I get the following message:
Skill Scanner V0.10 (7-Mar-2008)
Checking latest version...
Version check failed.

I have the last version from your site..

One more thing...
while the program is open, print screen is not working anymore for capturing the screen in clipboard. Is an active key tho, and I can use it in other open programs. But not to capture screen in clipboard. When I close the program, it works just fine.
Is it really a must for the program to check the internet before it can start working? This episode is source of possible problems and the connection to your server may be blocked for some reason, and that prevent the use of the software.

Nice features added. I can't wait to see it working.
I get the following message:
Skill Scanner V0.10 (7-Mar-2008)
Checking latest version...
Version check failed.

I have the last version from your site..

One more thing...
while the program is open, print screen is not working anymore for capturing the screen in clipboard. Is an active key tho, and I can use it in other open programs. But not to capture screen in clipboard. When I close the program, it works just fine.
Is it really a must for the program to check the internet before it can start working? This episode is source of possible problems and the connection to your server may be blocked for some reason, and that prevent the use of the software.

yes, internet connection is a must for many reasons. this program is not a standalone client application; instead, it is based on a client-server architecture, and the program relies on the server side for calculation of skills tt-size and market value, profession levels, and also for loading and saving from/to the chipping optimizer...

regarding the clipboard, i'm affraid that this effect is unavoidable; the program relies on the PrntScrn key as a "neutral" and platform independent way to get data from other applications. native applications usually register a system-wide hot-key to capture the screen, but if i wanted to to that, i should write windows-specific code, which is not a good thing since this opens the door for key-loggers and all kind of malware.

in any case, i understand the concern of some people regarding the use of desktop applications which require internet connection, and there is not much more i can say. java applications are much much safer than native windows applications, but still, a certain trust level towards the developer is required and i cannot blame anyone for not having it. in fact, i must say that this is a good practice, in general.

yes, internet connection is a must for many reasons. this program is not a standalone client application; instead, it is based on a client-server architecture, and the program relies on the server side for calculation of skills tt-size and market value, profession levels, and also for loading and saving from/to the chipping optimizer...

Fair, I guess, since you already have code for these functions on your chipping optimizer... But.. TT-size and profession levels? can't be a big piece of code to include in the scanner?
Only thing that should really need a connection is market value and optimizer connection, and it would be nice if the rest worked without your server being online.

regarding the clipboard, i'm affraid that this effect is unavoidable; the program relies on the PrntScrn key as a "neutral" and platform independent way to get data from other applications. native applications usually register a system-wide hot-key to capture the screen, but if i wanted to to that, i should write windows-specific code, which is not a good thing since this opens the door for key-loggers and all kind of malware.

I'm no Java developer, but shouldn't you be able to implement this as a clipboard observer?
And then just leave the image in the clipboard (or put it back depending on how the API works).
It definitely is possible in all platforms I know of, if you use native code at least... Would be surprising if it wasn't possible in Java too. (since the clipboard is such a well known and used application api)

One smart way would be; let it throw the image away if it succeeds in scanning it, if it fails, let it remain in the clipboard.

BTW m8 .. i've tried the V0.10 but there is a problem ...

My Skills are correct ...

But the professions, hm ....few of them give me 0.5-0.7 levels more that the ingame level. Maybe you should make it scan the prof bars instead of calculating :scratch2:

You think is a coding problem about the Unlocked skills (CS,Wounding , KS, etc) i don't have yet?

Fair, I guess, since you already have code for these functions on your chipping optimizer... But.. TT-size and profession levels? can't be a big piece of code to include in the scanner?
Only thing that should really need a connection is market value and optimizer connection, and it would be nice if the rest worked without your server being online.

tt-size calculation is everything but trivial; it actually does require a big piece of code. professions are much easier, but requires input from a ~600 rows table in the database (the influence of each one of the ~170 skills in each one of the ~70 professions).
in any case, these are parameters that are subject to constant change and adjustments, and i don't think it is a good idea to move them to client-side; having them in server side is extremely more convenient, since i can change them without having to release new versions of the client code.

I'm no Java developer, but shouldn't you be able to implement this as a clipboard observer?
And then just leave the image in the clipboard (or put it back depending on how the API works).
It definitely is possible in all platforms I know of, if you use native code at least... Would be surprising if it wasn't possible in Java too. (since the clipboard is such a well known and used application api)

One smart way would be; let it throw the image away if it succeeds in scanning it, if it fails, let it remain in the clipboard.

yes, my app works like you said. it is a clipboard observer, and once the image has been processed it is thrown away because, if i don't do it, i don't get further notifications. i can try putting it back to the clipboard in all cases, and see if i get further notifications from the clipboard, and see how other applications listening in the clipboard behave.

i think that PEAss must be doing something similar because, when it is running, i don't get consistent notifications from the clipboard; sometimes i get them, and sometimes not.

the main difference with conventional desktop applications is that, usually, you actively select a "paste" command to get clipboard data, so you only need to be notified when these data changes. however, in my app, i need to trigger the clipboard reading everytime the user pressed PrntScrn (even if the image has not changed).

still your suggestion is nice, and i'll try to experiment a little bit further with it.

Last edited:
BTW m8 .. i've tried the V0.10 but there is a problem ...

My Skills are correct ...

But the professions, hm ....few of them give me 0.5-0.7 levels more that the ingame level. Maybe you should make it scan the prof bars instead of calculating :scratch2:

You think is a coding problem about the Unlocked skills (CS,Wounding , KS, etc) i don't have yet?

unlocked skills are taken into account. i have tried with data from avatars with over 250k skills, and results were spot on.

what you have observed can be caused by:
- you forgot to parse any of the skill windows and then the profession were calculated with partial skill data
- any of the skill windows were parsed incorrectly, and their skill values were wrong

i'd appreciate if if you could repeat your test, and please, first double check that all skill values were correctly parsed, and then, if you still see wrong profession values, post them (or PM me the whole CSV file) and i'll have a look at them.

Great application!

Two points of feedback, but it may be because I have JRE 1.6 u3 installed.

-I couldn't run the .jar . I unpacked it and started it with commandline.

-When running got this error:
Exception in thread "Thread-16" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
at java.awt.image.DataBufferInt.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.image.Raster.createPackedRaster(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.image.DirectColorModel.createCompatibleWritableRaster(Unknow
n Source)
at java.awt.image.BufferedImage.<init>(Unknown Source)
at Scanner.a(Unknown Source)

But great app :)
at Scanner.a(Unknown Source)
at m.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

unlocked skills are taken into account. i have tried with data from avatars with over 250k skills, and results were spot on.

what you have observed can be caused by:
- you forgot to parse any of the skill windows and then the profession were calculated with partial skill data
- any of the skill windows were parsed incorrectly, and their skill values were wrong

i'd appreciate if if you could repeat your test, and please, first double check that all skill values were correctly parsed, and then, if you still see wrong profession values, post them (or PM me the whole CSV file) and i'll have a look at them.

ok .. will do m8 :)

yes, my app works like you said. it is a clipboard observer, and once the image has been processed it is thrown away because, if i don't do it, i don't get further notifications. i can try putting it back to the clipboard in all cases, and see if i get further notifications from the clipboard, and see how other applications listening in the clipboard behave.

i think that PEAss must be doing something similar because, when it is running, i don't get consistent notifications from the clipboard; sometimes i get them, and sometimes not.

the main difference with conventional desktop applications is that, usually, you actively select a "paste" command to get clipboard data, so you only need to be notified when these data changes. however, in my app, i need to trigger the clipboard reading everytime the user pressed PrntScrn (even if the image has not changed).

still your suggestion is nice, and i'll try to experiment a little bit further with it.

If all application in the notification chain properly "hand it further down" the chain, it's is triggered everytime you press PrntScrn, even if the contained data are exactly 100% the same! (global memory is free'd, new global memory is allocated, regardless of the content!)

Clipboard API is usually very well documented, although it's a very common mistake to either not properly hook into the notification chain or to skip sending the notification to the next application in the chain! Same goes for the unlocking of the global memory used to store the clipboard data & closing the clipboard handle before sending the notification down the chain! (Which will result in an error when the next application tries to read the clipboard data)

A new hook is always inserted at the beginning of the chain, so the application hooking in last might mess it all up! (which i think is the problem here, because the last application should notify the OS via a fake handle, unless it is cleared along the way!)

Hope that helps! In case you need more info just drop me a line.

Oh, and is didn't test the new version yet, but is it really neccessary to fetch the data from jdegre.net after every single scan?

Last edited:
I still get that error and is not because I can't connect to your server. And because I get that error, I can't scan my skills and save CSV to upload in optimizer... That is what I was trying to say. It may be only on my system or some other may have it. If you need any other info, I will provide them.

I still get that error and is not because I can't connect to your server. And because I get that error, I can't scan my skills and save CSV to upload in optimizer... That is what I was trying to say. It may be only on my system or some other may have it. If you need any other info, I will provide them.

my earlier comment was related to the issue of the scanner program requiring internet connectivity to work properly.

if you have internet connectivity, and it is still not working, then it could be caused by the use of http proxies. if your need to setup an http proxy to route http traffic, then my application won't work. i can make changes to make it work, it is pretty straightforward, but i did not include that feature because i guessed that everybody would be using the program with direct (non-proxied) internet connections, which is what EU requires.

if you are not using http proxies, then i'll have to investigate further because i have no clue about what could be the cause.

---

@wisszss: i'm aware of how hooks work in the native windows API, but i'm under the impression that the clipboard java API works slightly different, and that i don't need to "pass further" the notification chain explicitely, and i'm almost 100% sure that the java API does this for me. in any case, i don't discard that i might be using this API incorrectly (for other reasons), and i'll review it as soon as i can. thanks for the hints, mate.

Great work, I'll try this as soon as I get off from work :yay:

Back