Skill Scanner

My current ISP connects me with PPPOE. If that is helping in any way. I will try to see how and if it works with a different ISP. I don't use any proxies. It used to work just fine until your new release.
EDIT>
The other ISP uses DSL. Same problem.
No other aplications have problems connecting to internet if I let them. I use a firewall, but your application is not blocked.
My OS is Windows 2000 pro with all the updates on.

I can't think of any info I can provide, but if you need anymore info, I will provide.

Edit2>
Your server changes seems solved that error. Ty.

Last edited:
My current ISP connects me with PPPOE. If that is helping in any way. I will try to see how and if it works with a different ISP. I don't use any proxies. It used to work just fine until your new release.
EDIT>
The other ISP uses DSL. Same problem.
No other aplications have problems connecting to internet if I let them. I use a firewall, but your application is not blocked.
My OS is Windows 2000 pro with all the updates on.

I can't think of any info I can provide, but if you need anymore info, I will provide.

if you can see the "paypal" button in the top right corner, then it is not a connectivity-related problem.

i have a guess about what could be the cause, i've pm'd you about it...

just saw your edit regarding the changes i made in the server... nice to know it works now... :)

@wisszss: i'm aware of how hooks work in the native windows API, but i'm under the impression that the clipboard java API works slightly different, and that i don't need to "pass further" the notification chain explicitely, and i'm almost 100% sure that the java API does this for me. in any case, i don't discard that i might be using this API incorrectly (for other reasons), and i'll review it as soon as i can. thanks for the hints, mate.

It was not my intention to question your coding skills. The way you describe it (the need to clear the clipboard to get another notification) just indicates a "break" in the notification chain. This doesn't need to be your fault, running a badly coded program that uses the clipboard api incorrectly at the same time as you do your tests might as well cause it, i was just trying to point you in the right direction. (Sometimes all i need is a small hint, even if know very well about it myself :) )

Im not much into java, but if it a way that you register a notification handler, you might need to return a specific value to not stop the notification chain from passing the notification on down the chain. (I guess windows assumes completion of the notification chain as soon as you clear the content, which makes it no longer neccessary to notify other applications)

However, i'm sure you can track it down on your own, keep up the good work!

It was not my intention to question your coding skills. The way you describe it (the need to clear the clipboard to get another notification) just indicates a "break" in the notification chain.

hehe, i did not take offense about it at all, wizzszz :) (although re-reading the wording of my response, probably it was not so clear)... in fact, i'm not very confident on the usage i'm doing of the clipboard api, and i'd bet that i'm not doing it correctly.

what i have seen so far is that apparently the _java clipboard api_ is capable of notifying only on changes in the data formats stored in the clipboard, but not upon changes in the data content itself (if the data format is not changed). i have no doubt that you can achieve this easily with the _native_ windows clipboard api, but it could very well be an unsupported feature through the java clipboard api (which is platform independent, and therefore must conform to many different clipboard systems).

i'll keep on investigating the issue, though...

Yes, the portability might cause some trouble with a "clean" implementation, forgot about that.

Is there a special reason why you use java? EU runs on windows only anyway, so portability is not an issue.

If you ever consider using a different language: I have some half-done work on efficient ocr (which is supposed to read claim deed data from a screenshot), your current approach seem to be very time consuming regarding character recognition, i'd guess it can't be sped up much more under java.

Sorry if this was addressed (just delete the post)... Skill scanner works fine etc... except saving the file - it will only allow me to save it to system32 folder.
This is ok... but when i now try to access the file it is invisible to vista. going through command prompt i can see the file, edit the file, save the file but if i try to move it out of the virtual directory, it gives me access denied. It's been a while i've tried setting file properties through command prompt... any help?

This only happened in the later versions

Trying to save outside system32 gives
Error: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Skills_20080322_151419.csv (Access is denied)

Skill scanner works fine etc... except saving the file - it will only allow me to save it to system32 folder.

after seeing your post, i just pulled down the latest skill scanner, did my thing, then exported. while my vista box defaulted to system32, i was able to browse to other folders ok, and save w/no problem.

* as a side note, the 'save as' screen looks ... different, or 'off'... somehow ... seems throwback to 3.11, almost ... can't put a finger on what it is =) *

when i now try to access the file it is invisible to vista. going through command prompt i can see the file, edit the file, save the file but if i try to move it out of the virtual directory, it gives me access denied. It's been a while i've tried setting file properties through command prompt... any help?

Error: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Skills_20080322_151419.csv (Access is denied)

as far as the 'access denied' issue when trying to 'move' (move, or copy?) the file ... vista is real uptight about messing w/files in certain areas, profiles and system folders chief among them, even when logged in as an admin (as im sure you know :) )

real issue seems to be the inability to save outside of sys32 ... can't say why that's happening, sry ... but i don't think it's an issue w/SS, tbh

Last edited:
ok i think i know what the problem is. This is me being dumb :ahh:

I've been opening the scanner from the zip file. Hence the virtual.
I tested some things:
saving to root file \Desktop\Scanner_0_10 as csv and txt is ok
saving to desktop in csv/txt is NOT okay (get the access denied error)

however, i CAN cut/paste this data once saved to desktop

So the question now... how the holy hell do i access the saved invisible data locked in system32 :laugh:

Would be a help i think if skill scanner could open files as it can see the files in system32. The only other prog that can is commandprompt (which won't let me move or copy them outside of the virtual directory, howver i can eidt them :scratch2:)

New error:

Skill Scanner V0.10 (7-Mar-2008)
Checking latest version...
Error: java.net.UnknownHostException: jdegre.net

Note: I can connect to the chipping optimizer.
:eyecrazy:

New error:

Error: java.net.UnknownHostException: jdegre.net

Note: I can connect to the chipping optimizer.
:eyecrazy:

i guess this was a transient error, right? (i hope so...)
lately, there has been temporary problems with my host, but everything seems to be ok now, and according to the logs, people seem to be connecting without problems.

the problem you're seeing seems to be related to an transient error while resolving the hostname to its IP address; if you can connect to the chipping optimizer from a web browser, it could be because the browser itself sometimes caches the IP address, instead of trying to resolve it every time.

in any case, if the error persists, please let me know.

Same error still there... Is there any way to make it connect to IP rather than to name? Or is any way for me to do that?

Same error still there... Is there any way to make it connect to IP rather than to name? Or is any way for me to do that?

forgot to post here about this; apparently, it turned out to be a firewall issue; so, just a little reminder for those people having connectivity problems, the applications _needs_ to connect to the domain <jdegre.net>; it is designed to work like that. you must setup your firewall so it grants permission to the scanner application to do that; otherwise, it won't work.

oh, and a little hint for those people that want to run the application and are sitting behind an http proxy (for instance, if you want to use the application from your work pc, at the office :silly2:, and you have no means to bypass the corporate proxy). it is possible to launch the java application and force it to go through the proxy, instead of connecting directly to the internet. all you have to do is the following:

- save the "Scanner.jar" file in a directory, as usual; let's assume that you saved it in the desktop, and the whole path is:

C:\Documents and Settings\jdegre\Desktop\Scanner.jar

- create a windows shortcut, and associate it with the following command:
javaw -Dhttp.proxyHost=myproxy.com -Dhttp.proxyPort=8080 -jar "C:\Documents and Settings\jdegre\Desktop\Scanner.jar"​
where you must replace the parts in red with your actual values for the proxy host, the proxy port and the whole path of the Scanner.jar file.

- save the shortcut, and double click on it, as usual

note: it is assumed that javaw.exe is in your windows path, and it is like this by default as long as you have your java system properly installed.

cheers,
/jdegre.

Hi, this tool works perfectly - very smooth and professional :)

I was wondering if it was possible to include the esi and chip prices in the .csv file too? I like to export the information to excel so all information that the scanner produces would be great... dont ask why, its just the geek in me that wont stop nagging !!!

Cheers Jdegre, great job!

I tested some things:

So the question now... how the holy hell do i access the saved invisible data locked in system32 :laugh:

Does anyone have a solution to this :ahh:

Immortal said:
I tested some things:

So the question now... how the holy hell do i access the saved invisible data locked in system32
Does anyone have a solution to this

i've never used vista, so i cannot reproduce the error, but you said that you can edit the contents of the locked file, right?. in that case, have you tried copying the content of the file (not the file itself) and pasting it in a different file created elsewhere?.

sorry if i'm not helping much here, but i really don't understand the error you're having :ahh:

i've never used vista, so i cannot reproduce the error, but you said that you can edit the contents of the locked file, right?. in that case, have you tried copying the content of the file (not the file itself) and pasting it in a different file created elsewhere?.

sorry if i'm not helping much here, but i really don't understand the error you're having :ahh:

THe file won't show up in search, but it's there. I can see the directory it is in with the optimizer (it saves it somewhere in system32). I can see and edit the file with command propmt (i call it DOS), I can move it only so far i.e. not out of system32. May hve something to do with labels, /access properties, but i've forgoten the correct command to mark the file as movable/nonrestricted :p

In DOS if I try
c:> copy *.* c:\temp

i get an error telling me i'm not allowed to do that :eyecrazy: even though i can open the file with DOS edit, i can't save it elsewhere

In DOS if I try
c:> copy *.* c:\temp

it should be something like this, right?:
c:\windows\system32> copy *.csv c:\temp

i get an error telling me i'm not allowed to do that :eyecrazy: even though i can open the file with DOS edit, i can't save it elsewhere

if the above does not work, then open the file with DOS edit in a DOS window, and then select all the text with the mouse, and copy it to the windows clipboard (with the "mark/copy" command in the system menu of the DOS window, in the upper left corner of the window, NOT with the "copy/paste" commands of the edit program).
then, create another .txt file somewhere else with notepad, and "paste" the text into it.

you can only copy/paste the text visible on the DOS window, so you'll have to repeat the above steps 3-4 times, scrolling the text in the edit program, until you've copy-pasted all the text from the csv file.

finally, rename the .txt to .csv.

Did you try to open the csv file from the cmd prompt? Like this:

c:\windows\system32> Skills_20080404_234126.csv

This should open the default handler for the csv file type. From there i would expect you to be able to write it to another location. (but same as jdegre, i dont have vista, neither do i have experience with it)

it should be something like this, right?:
c:\windows\system32> copy *.csv c:\temp

Yep I did the right* way (i had isolated that file in it's own directory) and got this:
[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

However
Borr said:
Did you try to open the csv file from the cmd prompt? Like this:

c:\windows\system32> Skills_20080404_234126.csv

THis worked.
:duh: :ahh:
Thanks ^^
>_>
<_<

Great program! Was able to finally update my stats on Entropedia since the skills sheet update. I recommend this program to all my friends and soc mates :)

- Nightwolf

Seems the host 'jdegre.net' does not exist anymore, the program logs an UnknownHostException on startup, and does not work at all after that.

Seems the host 'jdegre.net' does not exist anymore, the program logs an UnknownHostException on startup, and does not work at all after that.

Seems there is an DNS problem at the hosters side, as far as i know jdegre is aware of it and works on it.

It's unreachable the whole day, hostname can't be resolved, seems to be a DNS server problem, internic says it's still registered.

Code:
   Domain Name: JDEGRE.NET
   Registrar: GKG.NET, INC.
   Whois Server: whois.gkg.net
   Referral URL: http://www.gkg.net
   Name Server: NS3.INTEGRAHOST.COM
   Name Server: NS4.INTEGRAHOST.COM
   Updated Date: 05-nov-2007
   Creation Date: 04-nov-2005
   Expiration Date: 04-nov-2008

Integrahost seems to be offline, no nameservers: no DNS

Guess I'll count my skills another day :)

yeah, i promise all my hosting bills are fully paid up... :laugh:

it's a problem with my provider, their whole network (including DNSs) is down atm. afaik, this is the biggest downtime since i've been with them. let's hope it gets solved soon.

sorry about that, guys.

=/
i cant check my skills
and im in the middle of a test
arf

great little prog btw ^^
maybe you could make it read its files
it would be really nice :rolleyes:

edit:
oh and a "entropiatools save"
i had to open the csv in note pad and change all the ; to , and remove the prof part of the file

edit 2:
can i save the screenshots and later use printscren on it?
i was gonna test it myself but it wont work atm XD

=/
i cant check my skills
and im in the middle of a test
arf

(...)

edit 2:
can i save the screenshots and later use printscren on it?
i was gonna test it myself but it wont work atm XD

yes, of course you can do that. if you really need to save a csv snapshot of your skills and professions and, for some reason, the tool is unavailable at that moment, just save the skill screens (in BMP or PNG format, not JPG), and later on you can just use them with the scanner, by PrntScrn'ing them as if you were ingame.

btw, the site seems to be up and running now. hopefully my provider has resolved the problem and let's hope there won't be any more downtimes.

i have a tiny bone to pick with the scanner.

why, when the scanner becomes outdated, can you not use it anymore? i don't understand why bringing out a newer version makes the current one i have not work anymore.. its obviously still able to screengrab and use its ocr savvy to note down my skills.

if u make it mandatory to upgrade, may i suggest that you put a link into the proggie itself for me to click on so i can easily have the new version sent to me instead of me going rooting through EF for a link.

hope u don't take offence, its a nifty little tool, but it really.. ah, whats a decent enough expression.. grinds my gears :)P)

i have a tiny bone to pick with the scanner.

why, when the scanner becomes outdated, can you not use it anymore? i don't understand why bringing out a newer version makes the current one i have not work anymore.. its obviously still able to screengrab and use its ocr savvy to note down my skills.

if u make it mandatory to upgrade, may i suggest that you put a link into the proggie itself for me to click on so i can easily have the new version sent to me instead of me going rooting through EF for a link.

hope u don't take offence, its a nifty little tool, but it really.. ah, whats a decent enough expression.. grinds my gears :)P)

the main reason is that i don't want people to use dozens of different outdated versions of the program. you should see the number of PMs i get asking for support (both ingame and here in EF), and it is much easier for me if i'm sure that people always use the last version; this is even more important during a beta test phase.

the link to my page was included in one of the latest versions, probably in 0.9; it is displayed in the text area in the bottom part of the application window, so it is not an html hyperlink, but at least you don't have to browse EF looking for the link, just copy&paste into a web browser.

the main reason is that i don't want people to use dozens of different outdated versions of the program. you should see the number of PMs i get asking for support (both ingame and here in EF), and it is much easier for me if i'm sure that people always use the last version; this is even more important during a beta test phase.

the link to my page was included in one of the latest versions, probably in 0.9; it is displayed in the text area in the bottom part of the application window, so it is not an html hyperlink, but at least you don't have to browse EF looking for the link, just copy&paste into a web browser.

ah, i can understand that.

i downloaded v0.1 today, looking at it now i can't see the link at all. all i can see in that box you describe is this:

Code:
Ok!
Loading resources...
Done!

could i request a direct link to the download button, like you have of the paypal please, if you have the spare time? in fact, it would probably be better if you made a function to auto-download the newest version as soon as it detects its obsolete automatically, as thats what we'd end up doing next anyway, and it'd be faster.

i'd normally die before i had a proggie on my pc that could do that (bar avg, thats acceptable, fully in background and updates are tiny), but seeing as though this one ceases to work as soon as version++ comes along it makes it easier.

Back