Question: Question 1: Any plans for developing the crafting profession design?

Eyebroo

Young
My question about crafting is pretty much this: What plans do you have around game design and the crafting profession?

The reason for my question is this: When starting a crafting run, you need in general to do a large amount of clicks in order to reach some level of statistical results. For the sake of the argument, lets say 2000 clicks. I do not remember the exact time a click takes, but been using as a guideline for myself that 1000 clicks takes around 70 minutes. During this time it is not possible to do anything else in the game except sitting and watching a small circle go round and round and round ... Maybe one exception is that you can access the ah terminal from the crafting terminal and browse prices.

In my opinion this is not a good way to achieve player engagement as this often leads to afk activities. The possibilities here is also abundant to introduce new items that will not change the economics of the crafting, for example items to craft faster. Other way could be to think about what they have done in EVE Online: there you insert the BP in an assembly line, which has a timer until completed, allowing the player to engage in other activities while waiting. Other ideas here is also skills and items that allow you to craft more in parallel.

Then comes the moment that we are all waiting for - a multiplier! Something that we are all hoping for and want to have. In crafting it means often a BP drop ... only to discover that it is the 15th drop of component widget III, IV or similiar ... totally useless. Here I can see a new mini game developing where maybe UL bps can be combined into a bp with higher QR for example. Of course for a cost / decay of a new tool etc. Same thing with Limited bps, would be great if they could be combined into a larger bp. I remember when I bought around 100 ped tt worth of welding wire bps, and had to work on sorting my inventory for 1-2 hours.

Finally, please allow for more statistics. I do not understand why you limit it to the last 1000 clicks. I am also missing history (great to have when you get a bluescreen for example and loose the data from the 1 hour craft you just did), and possibility to export data to a google spreadsheet for example. In the end you use more time to keep track of prices, returns and sales prices outside the game than inside the game

Magnus Eriksson:

We agree that anchoring avatars to the crafting machine in order to craft items is not ideal.

We have lots of early-stage ideas for creating a much more interesting and immersive crafting system that incorporates production time as a valued resource, and which does not always require the avatar to be near a terminal.

However there is no concrete timeline for starting work on such a system, though it is something we do wish to tackle at some point relatively soon.

Magnus Eriksson:

We agree that anchoring avatars to the crafting machine in order to craft items is not ideal.

We have lots of early-stage ideas for creating a much more interesting and immersive crafting system that incorporates production time as a valued resource, and which does not always require the avatar to be near a terminal.

However there is no concrete timeline for starting work on such a system, though it is something we do wish to tackle at some point relatively soon.

Oh god. It's not going to turn into one of those premium mobile games where it takes XX:XX real world time to craft a single item but for a small fee it can be completed right now is it?

Oh god. It's not going to turn into one of those premium mobile games where it takes XX:XX real world time to craft a single item but for a small fee it can be completed right now is it?
Webshop diamonds to speed it up :laugh:

oh sheet i sure hope that idea died with compet. if theres one game mechanic that sucks boorum ballz thats it.

Magnus Eriksson:

Oh god, please please please don't overhaul crafting until you sort out making craftable items competitive against unlimited ones.

Do this first, test it, test it, test it. Then and only then, change how the items are made.

Rgds

Ace

Oh god, please please please don't overhaul crafting until you sort out making craftable items competitive against unlimited ones.

Do this first, test it, test it, test it. Then and only then, change how the items are made.

Rgds

Ace

hay .you trying to get someone else to do ourjob. hehe /s

announcing the easter crafting rings and pills:yay:

announcing the easter crafting rings and pills:yay:
That would be so sad...

Here is my concept for a better crafting system: Your avatar operates modern (ie, far future) manufacturing technology. Present-day (21st century) technology on Earth already allows nearly complete automation of manufacturing. In the far future, then, this trend toward automation would most likely continue to its limit (set it up, forget it, like 21st century CNC), and its interfaces would be designed to be progressively more and more convenient, for example remote operation using something like an immensely refined and improved cell phone in the avatar's moments of leisure between other activities.
So for the sake of immersion via realistic futirism if nothing else, I envision a crafting / manufacturing system consisting of 3 components:
- a blueprint system very similar to the existing one, because it's fun;
- a portable handheld tool straight out of star trek by which the avatar sets up crafting runs;
- automatic delivery to planetary storage (or to Autosell) of the results of crafting (the actual machinery of manufacturing would be non-interactive "flavor scenery" rather than a terminal).
I personally would also include speficic checkboxes to store/TT/auction each individual potential result of crafting, possibly even with controls to sort finished items into separate fates according to their TT value.

I'll just put that concept over in Suggestions where it belongs. Here it only serves to drive this thread's existing points home. Do you see how immersive this game could potentially be???

Back