Votes: 12 17.6%

• Total voters

exsolvo

Prowler
Society
The Unit
Exsolvus Exo Nex
I just started thinking a bit about this whole system,

How about we do like some other unmentionable games have done, and make "Hardcore avatars" available for choice when creating an avatar? What do i mean the ones of you that havent played such games may wonder, its fairly simple.

In general, hardcore avatars is an avatar, which cannot revive after being killed, but with EU being an RCE there needs to be advantages of using such an avatar.

So, perhaps hardcore avatars could skill faster?
perhaps they could loot "hardcore items" which are only usable for hardcore avatars?
perhaps you could even do hardcore PvP'ing which in fact means, that if a hardcore avatar kills another hardcore avatar in PvP, with some regulation, perhaps the killer has to be less skilled than the killee, then you get some form of unique loot for this accomplishment? An ear perhaps, and with enough ears you can make some form of.. necklase or whatever, that will aid you in one form or another in becoming more and more skilled untill the day you meet your maker.

This might be a good way to ensure that "excitement" is around, sure nobody likes to skill for 1,000 USD just to find your avatar slayed by some asshole that brought 20,000 snables on you (heh), but nevertheless, it would serve a purpose, perhaps an ingame top100 list could be formed for such avatars that take their chances.

Ofcourse this isn't implementable out of the box, some more thinking needs to be done to ensure the regulations are "worth while" even if you have skilled up an avatar to lvl100 lasersniper and someone shoots you down with a prototype launcher.

What does the community as a whole think? Should we implement "hardcore avatars" ?

I have an even better idea! Lets get together all the features all the games out there might have, mix them in any fashion possible and implement them into EU...Doh!

Would take annoying internet hickups to a whole new level :laugh:
Really though, I really can't see this happening. Maybe a few insane people would like a "hardcore" system. But spending company resources developing something that will likely discourage the people that use it to deposit? naaah.

I have an even better idea! Lets get together all the features all the games out there might have, mix them in any fashion possible and implement them into EU...Doh!

Thats exactly the point though, isn't it?

EU is a virtual universe, not a game, and as such, should accomodate all aspects of "life" including, but not limited to, gaming aspects available in other games in the "real" universe.

That being said, it's just up to us to choose what functions/features we want implemented in a structured and orderly fassion :)

Great post, +rep to you Arylia :)

Would take annoying internet hickups to a whole new level :laugh:
Really though, I really can't see this happening. Maybe a few insane people would like a "hardcore" system. But spending company resources developing something that will likely discourage the people that use it to deposit? naaah.

So, you would say no to using a hardcore avatar, say if it was more than possible to loot IMP weaponry/gear, only usable for hardcore avatars?

Say, if loot never dipped below 90% TT return?

Bare in mind, my idea was that these hardcore avatars would be in a class of their own, without the ability to influence the RCE aspect of normal avatars in a big way (only by stealing mobs perhaps).

I for one would love the chance to know, if i kill 10,000 of a given creature, that imp/mod/whatnot item is MINE :)

Thats gonna be NoobForever avatars and a lot of them wil be creating new accounts for that 10 times a day because they still die with 0 evade and so.

Well, I'd probably give it a go, but only if I got to keep my normal ava :D And there is really no way that MA would do something that always gives 90% TT returns, because then everyone would get a hardcore ava then a big ass FAP, and get an opalo and take out dakis and loot Jag and such :laugh:

Thats gonna be NoobForever avatars and a lot of them wil be creating new accounts for that 10 times a day because they still die with 0 evade and so.

True, but then there wouldnt be any "laws" against creating 10 avatars a day if hardcore now would there?

Perhaps you dont even have to create a new avatar, but each time you die, all your gear and skills are stripped away, or maybe just skills? i dont know

Theres lots to ponder :)

I really can't see this idea to be made to fit to a RCE.

What I could see as maybe working would be something like:
"You book a high risk hunting expedition."
This would work at a travel terminal or such,
maybe you would receive a special sort of ammo or so.

Means if you die you lose all eventual loot,
and your ammo that was your stake.
Maybe you could do a early break losing only the remaining ammo and keeping the loot or such, after spending like 50% or even only 25% of the ammo.

Would be a bit similar to the beacon missions,
so the balancing manager should know how to handle this.

But a complete ava dieing... hmhm... bit brutal xD

Well, I'd probably give it a go, but only if I got to keep my normal ava :D And there is really no way that MA would do something that always gives 90% TT returns, because then everyone would get a hardcore ava then a big ass FAP, and get an opalo and take out dakis and loot Jag and such :laugh:

Good post, but then again, would you deposit even 1kped to buy a big ass fap, if you knew it will all *poof* if you get killed?

Maybe one day your drunk and enter the ring in twins, boom, all gone :)

I'ts a bit more complicated than that id assume, and why wouldnt MA give 90% TT to ppl who are willing to risk their WHOLE deposit without even having skills to show for it if they fail? i think thats the question :)

So, you would say no to using a hardcore avatar, say if it was more than possible to loot IMP weaponry/gear, only usable for hardcore avatars?

Bare in mind, my idea was that these hardcore avatars would be in a class of their own, without the ability to influence the RCE aspect of normal avatars in a big way (only by stealing mobs perhaps).

I for one would love the chance to know, if i kill 10,000 of a given creature, that imp/mod/whatnot item is MINE :)

I'm sure that if you were guaranteed profit (by loot never dipping below 90% f.e) it would be very popular. But then we're back to the problem that it would cost MA a lot of money for nothing back.
I personally quite like playing hardcore in other games (or game to be precise). It does make it a whole lot more exciting. But when you not only lose your time, but also your $$$ there will be less incentive to spend money.
A hardcore avatar would be less likely to deposit and more likely to withdraw, out of fear of losing all they have in a heartbeat. So regardless of the type of reward a hardcore player would get, I don't see how it wouldn't result in less cashflow for MA.

I just started thinking a bit about this whole system,

How about we do like some other unmentionable games have done, and make "Hardcore avatars" available for choice when creating an avatar? What do i mean the ones of you that havent played such games may wonder, its fairly simple.

In general, hardcore avatars is an avatar, which cannot revive after being killed, but with EU being an RCE there needs to be advantages of using such an avatar.

So, perhaps hardcore avatars could skill faster?
perhaps they could loot "hardcore items" which are only usable for hardcore avatars?
perhaps you could even do hardcore PvP'ing which in fact means, that if a hardcore avatar kills another hardcore avatar in PvP, with some regulation, perhaps the killer has to be less skilled than the killee, then you get some form of unique loot for this accomplishment? An ear perhaps, and with enough ears you can make some form of.. necklase or whatever, that will aid you in one form or another in becoming more and more skilled untill the day you meet your maker.

This might be a good way to ensure that "excitement" is around, sure nobody likes to skill for 1,000 USD just to find your avatar slayed by some asshole that brought 20,000 snables on you (heh), but nevertheless, it would serve a purpose, perhaps an ingame top100 list could be formed for such avatars that take their chances.

Ofcourse this isn't implementable out of the box, some more thinking needs to be done to ensure the regulations are "worth while" even if you have skilled up an avatar to lvl100 lasersniper and someone shoots you down with a prototype launcher.

What does the community as a whole think? Should we implement "hardcore avatars" ?

Or you could just go and play Diablo 2 and save the devs the trouble?

I'm sure that if you were guaranteed profit (by loot never dipping below 90% f.e) it would be very popular. But then we're back to the problem that it would cost MA a lot of money for nothing back.
I personally quite like playing hardcore in other games (or game to be precise). It does make it a whole lot more exciting. But when you not only lose your time, but also your $$$ there will be less incentive to spend money.
A hardcore avatar would be less likely to deposit and more likely to withdraw, out of fear of losing all they have in a heartbeat. So regardless of the type of reward a hardcore player would get, I don't see how it wouldn't result in less cashflow for MA.

Well, thats what i thought atfirst, but then at a seccond, more indepth glance i started thinking "how would i do it?"

Okay, say i create a hardcore avatar, deposit 500 ped to get started, i hunt VERY small mobs (after first buying pixie or the like ofcourse, not to die instantly).
Then, since skilling is faster (in this scenario) in hardcore, i might be able to in a 8 hour streak, be finished skilling my opalo (or another alike item, hardcore adjusted), and move up the skill ladder
the 500 ped would surely last a while in the beginning what with the 90% TT returns, but bare in mind, it wouldnt be fair if hardcore players loot stuff that non hardcore players can use/buy, thus we arent really fucking up the economy that bad, but rather just satisfying the need for those who think that they can manage without dying (i.e only hunting mobs at their lvl or below).

So MA got a 500 ped deposit, the player gets say, 2-3 months of well spent gametime, then dies, fine, 500 ped out the window but dam what fun you had in the meantime!

Okay, so now its to the players disadvantage what with the 150/ped a month suggestion floating about for non-hardcore avatars.

Perhaps, but only perhaps, there could be a system that you only lose what youre "carrying" when you die? i.e if you had looted a modfap and shadow armor and using them, now its gone, along with your skills, but had you put your modfap in storage, and was using impfap, tadaa, modfap still in storage waiting for your next "avatar" on the SAME ACCOUNT.

Ive got tons of ideas how to do this, if MA was interested im sure theyd ask ;)

Or you could just go and play Diablo 2 and save the devs the trouble?

No discussing of other games in this thread please, its against forum rules

Nah, we have enough chippies out there as is. Making the path to PK easier for snot nosed kids would be another annoyance to the long term player.

The only reason Exo thinks this is a good idea is because he cannot afford to invest enough money to become highly skilled and he hates people who are more skilled than he is.

The only reason Exo thinks this is a good idea is because he cannot afford to invest enough money to become highly skilled and he hates people who are more skilled than he is.

Seriously, why the banter?

Kiddy getting sad? need the bottle? want a hankerchief? maybe call your mommy?

Grow up

No discussing of other games in this thread please, its against forum rules

I think a discussion and a mention are 2 different things. The discussion within the post was on topic i dont that in a thread like this where the idea is clearly taken from another game that a single mention of that game should be prohibited. If your going to ban that then you should probably close down the whole thread and any other thread thats trying to take ideas straight out of other games and put them into EU :p

I think a discussion and a mention are 2 different things. The discussion within the post was on topic i dont that in a thread like this where the idea is clearly taken from another game that a single mention of that game should be prohibited. If your going to ban that then you should probably close down the whole thread and any other thread thats trying to take ideas straight out of other games and put them into EU :p

I'm not about to ban anyone, just dont want the chance of mod's thinking this thread becomes about something other than its intended, i.e hardcore avatars.

Only tossed out the msg so ppl wouldnt follow in the footsteps and start discussing pro's and con's about that other game in this thread, i just like the feature of hardcore, and some have voted yes, so indeed, might be a feature worth while with the right implementations :)

haha, so its not even his own idea? Theres a big suprise. No wonder he doesnt have the money to invest.

Well, thats what i thought atfirst, but then at a seccond, more indepth glance i started thinking "how would i do it?"

With your playstyle it may well work out for both yourself and MA. But when implementing new systems or items or professions or events MA can't balance them by how a normal player would use them. Imagine what a chinese gold farmer company would do. They would create 12 avatars to play as a team, and always hunt mobs that cannot kill any of them even with the max crit possible. They would pool all their profits and extra items into their bank avatar and make huge withdraws. They will die extremely rarely, and when they do they will "only" lose their skills and the items they were using at the time. All their other items and money are safe in the bank.
With a few thousand players like that they could make a huge dent in MA's finances.

Well at least the price of sweat on the hardcore servers would probably be decent lol.

I have one idea in mind..

Let's make one island for all avatars, who was catched by hand
in minor scamming, harassing other peeps, etc., behaving badly,
without any means to teleport or swim out of damn place, also
no turrets and nasty critters all around that spot for some time,
as unique expierence.. if ava will survive - welcome back.. :naughty:

With your playstyle it may well work out for both yourself and MA. But when implementing new systems or items or professions or events MA can't balance them by how a normal player would use them. Imagine what a chinese gold farmer company would do. They would create 12 avatars to play as a team, and always hunt mobs that cannot kill any of them even with the max crit possible. They would pool all their profits and extra items into their bank avatar and make huge withdraws. They will die extremely rarely, and when they do they will "only" lose their skills and the items they were using at the time. All their other items and money are safe in the bank.
With a few thousand players like that they could make a huge dent in MA's finances.

Yeah, i see your point, that would be somewhat of a menace, some more schemeing is involved for sure, chineese goldfarmers sure werent part of my original plan!

Dang, thats a bit of a bump on the road to circum...

Then it would also never hit above 110% TT, as a general rule.

Maybe a seperate planet with this setting would/could work. But it would still be very frustrating imo.

Last edited:
Then it would also never hit above 110% TT, as a general rule.

Maybe a seperate planet with this setting would/could work. But it would still be very frustrating imo.

But frustration is what EU is all about :D

I have no idea what game you might be alluding too (although I fear its WoW :rolleyes:) but I don't see how this would possibly work, or be desirable, in EU. If people are really so enamored with permadeath you can run around shooting people IRL and see how long you last.

nah don`t give em ideas... i am happy that my ava is still ul

Back