A Reason to Address Avatar Customizaion

Siriane

Mature
Society
NBK Rangers
Siriane Dhyna Dreamrider
These excerpts below are from this article: How Fortnite conquered the world

Fortnite’s business model is quietly revolutionary. The studio makes money not from point-of-sale (it’s free to download) but from selling digital costumes, known as skins, to the players. Each day a new wardrobe is put up for sale on the game’s storefront, for a few pounds apiece. Players can dress their digital avatar as a ninja, a medieval knight, an Olympic skier, or a skeleton, to name but a few, and in this way stand out from the crowd. The men and women who design these costumes have become some of the most important members of Fortnite’s development team: it is through their fashion work that the game makes its money.
This art of virtual costuming is rapidly changing the medium’s business model. In 2015 the Los Angeles game developer Riot, one of the first companies to adopt the model, reputedly made almost $2bn from selling digital clothes for its game League of Legends. More developers are following suit as they seek to produce a game that becomes a “service” to which players return each day, rather than a one-time experience like a film or TV box set. By offering their game for free, studios hope to quickly build an online community, which is then monetised by digital fashion. Epic refused to comment on how many Fortnite outfits it has sold, stating only that as of February the game had “more than 45 million players”.

Clearly avatar customization options are a way to generate substantial revenue. As things sit in EU right now, doing so is not an easy task. The reports are clear, players are willing to open their wallets to customize avatars. As a result the materials and mechanism to do so in game should be more readily available and consistent. Not only would this likely increase revenue measurably, it sould also increase player retention.

ya like i even wanna try to get that speed outfit - after all the effort I already put in and then they slyly fix the thing - I don't even want to look at that dumb frickn puzzle...

At least textures could become more SecondLife freestyle.

Upload your own at 10 ped per 1 click (L) texture bp or 100 ped per UL texture BP. (I'm sure MA could do a nice cash grab on the ingredients required to craft them)

Choice is yours. Photoshop the hell outta that thing.

Why not?

Last edited:
Get your facts right mate.

Fortnite is offering a battle pass, which you have to buy in their shop.
Fighting with battle pass you have advantage like Exp boost and stuff, not only the skin rewards, that are available aswell.
To get your battle pass for free, you can do it by playing half year without battle pass to get enough to buy it or simply buy it from shop (deposit real money).
When you bought it you can get enough cash ingame, to buy next session battlepass from that, but that means a lot of fighting to get enough levels that session that reward with cash. So even for hardcore gamers, its very likely that those bought the battlepass once. For less active players it may happen that those don´t make enough cash for next session battlepass, but still buy it again next session (another deposit of $10)

Its simply not true that there is avatar customizion as their "only" source of income.

as if selling skins would be revolutionary xD
like league of legends is having that as their only point of income since soon 10 years... but yeah 1 year old fortnite is the revolution... fortnite is bullshit.

as if selling skins would be revolutionary xD
like league of legends is having that as their only point of income since soon 10 years... but yeah 1 year old fortnite is the revolution... fortnite is bullshit.

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/...e-100-000-000-for-fortnite-esports-tournament

Like it or not if this is happening nobody in the history of gaming ever did it.
I'd say it again if a janitor from this company ever leave mindark should hire him as main developer.

Lmfao MA wishes! They can't even address 5 fucking statues for over a year, you think they can deal with customization on clothes more advanced then we already have? No way.

[h=1]EPIC GAMES WILL PROVIDE $100,000,000 FOR FORTNITE ESPORTS TOURNAMENT PRIZE POOLS IN THE FIRST YEAR OF COMPETITIVE PLAY[/h]

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/...e-100-000-000-for-fortnite-esports-tournament

Enigma price is estimated to be 0,00005% of the fortnite price pools... which means.. the amount that epic games provide to the price pool is 20 000 times more than the enigma reward was. Twenty-fuken-thousand times more..

Comparing MA with Epic Games is like comparing my project I have in my cupboard under the stairs, where I am building a lego car out of 10 diferent parts, with Toyota who produced the largest amount of cars in the world 2016.

The difference is just silly between the companies.. not to mention the genre of the games are also totally different...

I'd love to see some innovative ways for MA to make more money so that EU will grow at a rapid pace, and maybe become a bit more thrilling again.. it just seems docile as it is now..

I didn't post this to suggest EU should be anything like any other game. I posted it to indicate that continued investment in giving players avatar customization options is a clear revenue stream. I haven't been around for long but I hear nothing has been added in a very long time and it feels like the only thing farther down the list for attention is storage management.

I didn't post this to suggest EU should be anything like any other game. I posted it to indicate that continued investment in giving players avatar customization options is a clear revenue stream. I haven't been around for long but I hear nothing has been added in a very long time and it feels like the only thing farther down the list for attention is storage management.

You think EU has not enough options to customize your char ?

We have hairstylists, higher levels have more different hairstyles.
We have plastic surgery.
We have many many different clothes, and most of that can be textured and colored with really lot different colors and textures, where it also comes in different quality (speak different looks). Sometimes not getting 100% gives a nicer look than the 100% success. Play with the tools a little and you will find out.

If you look at total options in EU vs the skins in fortnite, there is much more options to customize your avatar than you will find in fortnite, even if you get every skin offered by epicgames.

Beside that EU has also more dances than fortnite.

So please why is fortnite anywhere better than EU when it comes to avatar customizing ???

Now look at the prices!
If someone uses this options in EU, it will cost them PED in some way (colors, textures used, fee for hairstylist, surgeon, materials for that, clothes bought or self crafted).

This is all income for MA, at least a part of it.

So what you say MA should implement is already available many years, long befor fortnite existed xD

I really don´t get what you want MA to do?
More clothes, more textures, more colors, more hairstyles, more whatever ???
Or do you just want them, to remove it from game and shift it into webshop to get some deposits for it?
Or maybe some cloth boxes?

Sorry, maybe I am stupid, but I don´t get it.

The main problem is that the people playing EU would rather pull money out of the game then buy even a 10 cent shirt or pants. There are vanity items here, but not really the market for them as everyone only seems to care about trying to get money out of the game.

The main problem is that the people playing EU would rather pull money out of the game then buy even a 10 cent shirt or pants. There are vanity items here, but not really the market for them as everyone only seems to care about trying to get money out of the game.

A lot of people have fairly expencive outfits, even now when prices went down a lot compared to old times.

Try to buy a chrome textured mastercoat, so far I have seen that only one time.

And there is a lot other things around, that look really nice.

Many of that, was much more expencive than a $10 skin from that other game OP mentioned :)

This is all income for MA, at least a part of it.

And not to forget, can be income for other players.

We are talking about a real cash economy here. People are complaining that finding markup isn't that easy anymore, why take away another possible way to make some bucks?

Wow you guys, I'm almost sorry I started this thread and I am definitely sorry I left it open for interpretation.

1) To reiterate, I never said EU should be like any other game
2) I never said to add more options
3) I never said to pull options on into the store
4) I never said to do anything to pull income from players (BTW, MA added the ability to upgrade the color of horribly ugly noob suit and from the number of players I see with upgraded colors I'm thinking that had a definite impact on player revenue.)

If you look at the link Goni published, It hasn't been updated in a year. Additionally, the number of players with high enough skills to apply the vast majority of textures/paints are very few. This is also true for hair and body stylists.

When I posted this I was thinking of addressing things like making materials more readily available and the following:

Specific to beauty, the required equipment is a significant investment in equipment for someone who wants to get started in the professions and the mats are difficult to come by. Skilling these profession is a very long and burdensome path.

Specific to coloring/texturing, It would be great if the effort to apply a texture or color is less so that skilling is easier. It is one thing to dump 1k ped of mats into carried inventory and stand at the manufacturing terminal and click click click, and something completely different to split up stack after stack of paint cans or textures and then drag them to the window on the tool click apply, the click bleach, and repeat. Over and Over and Over and then repair. Add to this the shortage of mats to stay in the SIB when skilling and these professions are difficult to get started in and progress in.

Specific to fashion (clothes) there may be many BP slots in the books but there are comparatively few items being crafted. I watch the AH daily and the same clothing items come up over and over as do the BPs. So while diversity may be available it is not accessible.

In general, if there were more players pursuing beauty/fashion careers then there would be a higher awareness of avatar customization and greater opportunity for new players to avail themselves of the many options. However, given the difficulty of pursuing these professions (crafting aside) there is little incentive for new(er) players to choose those paths. Additionally, it takes years to aquire higher level skills in these profession because the mechanics of doing so are much much slower.

As far as I'm concerned, anyway for MA to generate revenue can have a positive impact on returns on hunting/crafting/mining is a really good thing. So instead immediately shooting down efforts to try to think of ways to increase revenue through avatar customization, I think we should all get together and come up some ideas that make sense. After all, it is an undisputed fact that people are willing to spend money on their avatars.

One challenge that exists is the real cash economy and I recognize that. Whatever steps are taken, if all that happens is people shift how they spend their money then it may look like there isn't a win for MA. This is a valid point. In rebuttal, I would say that people who customize their avatar are more likely to stay in game longer, which means a greater opportunity for those players to depo. In addition, common advertising wisdom states that it is much less expensive to keep existing customers than it is to get new ones.

You think EU has not enough options to customize your char ?

We have hairstylists, higher levels have more different hairstyles.
We have plastic surgery.
We have many many different clothes, and most of that can be textured and colored with really lot different colors and textures, where it also comes in different quality (speak different looks). Sometimes not getting 100% gives a nicer look than the 100% success. Play with the tools a little and you will find out.

Yeah we got all these and than its hidden below an ugly pixie armor :d
So why even bother spending money for nice fash if you run around in that rascal and the ugly face masks 99% of your ingame time

unless you spend 5k usd to wear this invisible armor set fashion will never matter in eu and mindark refuse to give us the option to hide showing armor

If you look at the link Goni published, It hasn't been updated in a year. Additionally, the number of players with high enough skills to apply the vast majority of textures/paints are very few. This is also true for hair and body stylists.

True, this thread hasn´t been updated a while, but that also means the players in the list may have higher skills than listed in the thread, as they didn´t stop doing what they do.

Most difficult color is black/dark crimson, and as far I know Leeloo Mountan can do that. She is easy to find, she got a shop, you can find her in playerregister ingame, or drop a PM here, if you want something colored.
Others advertise their service ingame, regularly, some even for free (just to skill).

When I posted this I was thinking of addressing things like making materials more readily available and the following:

Specific to beauty, the required equipment is a significant investment in equipment for someone who wants to get started in the professions and the mats are difficult to come by. Skilling these profession is a very long and burdensome path.
Yeah skilling is not easy and it can become also very expencive. But is skilling any other proffession in EU easy?
Maybe you should ask those who are on that path, if it is worth the time and investment to skill up.
The investment for tools (coloring/texturing) is dirt cheap.
Hairstylist/Bodysculptor cost a little more.

But one question, do you really need to skill it yourself? Just use someones service, who already skilled it if you want different style. Its fairly cheap, hairstyle somewhere 2-5 PED. Less than 1$.
Question: Can you buy a new hairstyle in Fortnite for less than 1$ ?
No you can´t. Its not MA/PP fault that people in EU rarly use this services which already exist.

Specific to coloring/texturing, It would be great if the effort to apply a texture or color is less so that skilling is easier. It is one thing to dump 1k ped of mats into carried inventory and stand at the manufacturing terminal and click click click, and something completely different to split up stack after stack of paint cans or textures and then drag them to the window on the tool click apply, the click bleach, and repeat. Over and Over and Over and then repair. Add to this the shortage of mats to stay in the SIB when skilling and these professions are difficult to get started in and progress in.

I did some skilling, I can tell you that it is a lot easyer to gain skills in coloring/texturing than in crafting, and at lower cost (long run).
Do you know that your return in crafting can be way less than 80% while it never can be less in coloring/texturing as you get back PED from the used colors/textures?
Using more cans/textures skills faster!
And you can craft clothes yourself, some of the skills gain count for coloring/texturing aswell.
If I remember right its also possible to unlock fashin design skill with pure crafting.

So if you combine all this and offer it as an service you also can get paid for, then skilling is artifically free.
I remember some of the actual fashion designers active in EU offered free service and some still do so.
Just have to bring the paints/textures. The option to skill that way still exists!

Specific to fashion (clothes) there may be many BP slots in the books but there are comparatively few items being crafted. I watch the AH daily and the same clothing items come up over and over as do the BPs. So while diversity may be available it is not accessible.
Thats simply not true!
What tailors craft on a daily base to skill up is surely different what they can craft (speak what BPs they have).
Some clothes use expencive materials, you won´t find that clothes in auction regularly.
Often it is only crafted on demand.
So if you looking for something special, just ask around and you surely will find someone who got the BP.
Optional: Start a thread in this forum :)

In general, if there were more players pursuing beauty/fashion careers then there would be a higher awareness of avatar customization and greater opportunity for new players to avail themselves of the many options. However, given the difficulty of pursuing these professions (crafting aside) there is little incentive for new(er) players to choose those paths. Additionally, it takes years to aquire higher level skills in these profession because the mechanics of doing so are much much slower.

Already mentioned above, its way less expencive than you think, and there is ways to increase skill speed.
And textures not available LOL, generic leather is close to TT food, make textures of it and you will have tons of textures to skill with. Wools aren´t really expencive aswell.
For colors yes, prices on some of them went up, but there is still a lot close to TT food, use that to skill.
Well its not SIB if you use color/texture above your level, but it skills, too.
For pure skilling, it really doesn´t matter if you have the skill for color or texture as you gain skill from failure aswell. I don´t know how many times I just clicked away the generic leather texture from daily craft mission, just to get some skill for texturing aswell. Makes more sense to me to use it for my own skilling than selling it at 101%, what is actual MU for generic leather texture.
Skilling materials not available LOL !

As far as I'm concerned, anyway for MA to generate revenue can have a positive impact on returns on hunting/crafting/mining is a really good thing. So instead immediately shooting down efforts to try to think of ways to increase revenue through avatar customization, I think we should all get together and come up some ideas that make sense. After all, it is an undisputed fact that people are willing to spend money on their avatars.

Some really do spend money for their avatar in EU to express themselves, but majority simply doesn´t.
Looking what is running around in EU, still in ugly jumpsuits or underwear.
When even 2-3 PED for Basic Patern Shirt/Pants seems to be to expencive for those new players, to look different than 1000 others. Or 1 pec equip decay for clothes is to much, as you can read in many older threads about fashion.
Sorry, in EU those who style their avatars are a minority, and as said above this is not MA/PPs fault, people just refuse to spend money for it. Options are there more than enough.

Look at Fionas post above, people don´t buy clothes when they wear armor 99% of time, and comon statement, what defence values got your master coat (0, so waste of PED).
Thats sad but so true in EU !

And I want to give another link when it comes to fashion:

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?291156-&%2310030;-Farstar-Fashion-&%2310030;-Port-Atlantis-Mall-Shop&highlight=Farstar+FAshion

Look at what is possible and has already been created.
Its awesome, now go find some buyers for it.

As said, the options are there, and Farstar is not the only one offering it.

Some really do spend money for their avatar in EU to express themselves, but majority simply doesn´t.
Looking what is running around in EU, still in ugly jumpsuits or underwear.
When even 2-3 PED for Basic Patern Shirt/Pants seems to be to expencive for those new players, to look different than 1000 others. Or 1 pec equip decay for clothes is to much, as you can read in many older threads about fashion.
Sorry, in EU those who style their avatars are a minority, and as said above this is not MA/PPs fault, people just refuse to spend money for it. Options are there more than enough.

Look at Fionas post above, people don´t buy clothes when they wear armor 99% of time, and comon statement, what defence values got your master coat (0, so waste of PED).
Thats sad but so true in EU !

And I want to give another link when it comes to fashion:

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?291156-&%2310030;-Farstar-Fashion-&%2310030;-Port-Atlantis-Mall-Shop&highlight=Farstar+FAshion

Look at what is possible and has already been created.
Its awesome, now go find some buyers for it.

As said, the options are there, and Farstar is not the only one offering it.

Armor is great for hunting but silly for cities... Armor equip decay was made to disappear a long while back... vehicles aren't allowed in cities... perhaps some day Mindark will set it up so that your 'default armor' set automatically will equip when you walk out of a city and default clothing set will automatically equip in it's place when you walk in to a city. They'd have to reprogram it a bit, and do away with the clothing decay cost in the process, but it should be fairly easy to do since we can already set up armor and clothing sets to be a one button process.

Maybe when compets is more integrated in game it'll happen as an upgrade to the boxing rings and stables.

Mindark, if you are reading this, doing away with clothing decay may allow a lot more folks to use it more often. Also, making all clothing articles not automatically unequip when you wear armor would be a swell addition to the current set up... really annoying having to unequip boots, stuff on your head, and gloves to wear armor, etc. Also really annoying that default in the Cyrene Hub is totally naked.... at least allow non-buffy clothing to work there.

Also, Mindark, there's still a lot of crafted armor that doesn't have feet yet... for many years... perhaps you can drop em in loot or in upcoming holiday gifts... might make a swell Halloween or xmas gift to add to the regularly planned holiday stuff.

Last edited:
Mindark, if you are reading this, doing away with clothing decay may allow a lot more folks to use it more often.

Thanks!
Soo my statement is absolutely right, it always comes back in every thread about fashion and clothing.

Shooting away 1000 PED / hour on a hunt is ok, but 1 pec to wear shoes and anohter pec for a hat after the hunt, is way to expencive.

Thats surely the main problem why people don´t buy and wear nice clothes.

LOL

Back