State of the Universe Address 2014

Bertha Bot

Entropia News Fetcher
[h=3]State of the Universe Address 2014[/h]

Greetings Entropians,

MindArk is happy to report great progress achieved in many areas of Entropia Universe in 2013. The MindArk team spent much of the year improving the user experience and upgrading infrastructure to improve performance and accommodate more simultaneous users.

2013 Highlights
Entropia’s 10 Year Anniversary
2013 began with MindArk celebrating the ten-year anniversary of Entropia Universe. Special events were held, and hundreds of special TEN Edition items were looted throughout the year to celebrate this exciting milestone.

Infrastructure Upgrades
A series of major infrastructure upgrades was performed during 2013. These upgrades have helped to improve server capacity and stability, and allowed for faster and smoother deployment of Version Updates, patches and hotfixes. These upgrades also help our developers and partners to more efficiently develop new content and systems by streamlining the internal development pipeline.

Marketing
MindArk vastly increased its marketing efforts in 2013 resulting in a more than 110% increase in the number of new participants compared to 2012. Those marketing efforts also resulted in a very encouraging 57% increase in the number of new depositors. By all significant measures such as average simultaneous users, new accounts, and daily economic turnover, overall activity in the universe was at an all time high during 2013, due in large part to the MindArk’s latest marketing efforts.

New Player Experience
Additional improvements to the new player experience were implemented in 2013, carrying on the focus given to this area in late 2012. These efforts have synergized well with the marketing efforts described above, and have contributed to the improvement in conversion rates and participant retention. A series of player-contributed YouTube tutorials were also created in cooperation with MindArk, and new participants were encouraged to view those informative videos to get off on the right foot in the Entropia Universe adventures. The new player experience is an area that will continue to have MindArk’s attention moving forward, as it is an essential component of the growth of the universe.

Payment Processing
Many participants were thrilled with the addition of Paypal as an official Entropia Universe payment processor in the second quarter of 2013. In addition, new participants have the option of purchasing special starter packs via Zong, Paypal’s mobile payment solution.

A major overhaul to the avatar graphics and creation system was implemented early in 2013, resulting in incredibly realistic looking avatars and enhanced avatar customisation possibilities.

Moon Estate
A new type of estate management opportunity was offered in 2013. A group of participants pooled their resources and bid 1.5 million PED to acquire the rights to manage the first such estate, which subsequently was launched as the Monria moon estate in May 2013.

New Systems/Features
Several exciting new exciting features were introduced to Entropia Universe in 2013 which have been widely approved by participants. Those features include mission and skill progress trackers modules, as well as new types of consumable items that buff avatars in various ways. In addition, weapons and other items introduced in 2013 sport interesting new abilities, for example: life leech, faster reload speed, or damage blocking. New convenience items were also introduced toward the end of 2013, including portable trade and repair terminals and auto-loot pills.

Veteran Appreciation/Cost to Play
  • As promised in the 2013 State of the Universe Address, MindArk implemented several changes and features that helped to reduce the overall cost to participate in Entropia Universe, including:
  • Average TT returns were increased across the board for hunting, mining, crafting and other activities.
  • Removal or lowering of many unpopular fees, such as the armor equipping fee.
  • Increased the unlimited item tiering speed.
  • The minimum condition of most items lowered to 3%, freeing up a large number of PED, especially for owners of older UL weapons.
  • Reduced the volatility of many activities, especially for lower level avatars.
  • Decay and ammo consumption were removed when using a weapon not aimed at a valid target.

2014 Roadmap
MindArk has ambitious plans for the development of Entropia Universe in 2014, with planned primary focus on the following areas.

Systems Development
Social Interface - A completely overhauled and improved social interface has been under development for the past several months, and is getting close to implementation. This upgrade will bring several long-desired features, including offline messaging, custom chat channels and much more.

Affiliate System - An affiliate system is under development which will allow participants to earn PED by referring new Entropia Universe participants.

Premium Accounts - Still in the early design stage, MindArk is planning to offer premium account upgrades for a small monthly cost. Benefits of the various premium account types are still being decided, but may include such features as increased storage limits and increased number of simultaneous auctions. We are also considering making premium account upgrades available via daily mission tokens as well as special lootable items.

Citizenship & Housing System - Development of these systems was unfortunately delayed in 2013 due to the critical infrastructure upgrades taking quite a bit more development time than anticipated, along with several other projects receiving higher priority in the second half of 2013 and early 2014. This project now is now tentatively planned for release in Q4 of 2014.

PVP - Lots of improvements and enhancements to player vs. player (PVP) combat are planned for the second half of 2014. More information will be made available in a future Entropia Buzz developer notes article.

New Player Experience - Among MindArk’s highest ongoing priorities is improving participant conversion and retention, and one of the best ways to accomplish that is to continually find ways to improve the experience of new participants. As such, we plan to continue working closely with our planet partners in 2014 to implement systems and features that make Entropia Universe as exciting and user-friendly as possible for new participants.

Legacy Systems - Progress is ongoing for the reimplementation and refinement of various legacy systems.

New Systems - Several other interesting new systems are in the early development stage, and are planned for release in Q3 and Q4 of 2014 depending on prioritization of the other projects mentioned above. More details and teasers will be released throughout the year, so be on the lookout!

Marketing
MindArk plans to continue to expand and refine its marketing efforts in 2014 in order to maximize the number of new participants joining Entropia Universe. As outlined above, our marketing efforts in 2013 were very promising and we plan to become even more aggressive in 2014.

Planet Toulan
MindArk was excited to bring its newest planet online last week. Though still in its beta release, Planet Toulan promises to bring exposure of Entropia Universe to a previously untapped sector of the online gaming audience, and add a unique Arabian theme to the existing planet partner roster. Full release of Planet Toulan is expected mid-2014.

Cost to Play & Balancing
Continuing with the improvements made in 2013, MindArk plans to further improve average returns for many activities. One example would be the removal of the clothing equip fee in an upcoming platform release.

Infrastructure & Development Tools
Additional improvements to the Entropia Universe infrastructure and development tools are planned, which will allow MindArk and its planet partners to more efficiently develop and deploy new features and content, while minimizing server latency and downtime during patches and version updates.

Deed and Estate Management
Several new deed and estate management opportunities are planned for 2014. One of these will be announced in the upcoming planet partner release scheduled for early March.

Entropia Platform
Several major public and private organizations have expressed interest in making use of the Entropia Universe platform and collaborating with MindArk for future projects.

In conclusion, MindArk is looking forward to an exciting and productive 2014 for Entropia Universe and hopes all our participants will enjoy the improvements and efforts we have planned.

Best regards,

David Simmonds
CEO MindArk PE AB

Originally Posted Here

state of the universe address 2014

veteran appreciation/cost to play
  • as promised in the 2013 state of the universe address, mindark implemented several changes and features that helped to reduce the overall cost to participate in entropia universe, including:
  • average tt returns were increased across the board for hunting, mining, crafting and other activities.

:scratch:............:bs::broke:

Last edited:
Affiliate System - An affiliate system is under development which will allow participants to earn PED by referring new Entropia Universe participants.

:thumbup: Better late then never :)

If MA can deliver on 50% of the plans they have, 2014 will be a very interesting year indeed

The MindArk team spent much of the year improving the user experience and upgrading infrastructure to improve performance and accommodate more simultaneous users.

Ok - so when will we see this improvement?

MindArk vastly increased its marketing efforts in 2013 resulting in a more than 110% increase in the number of new participants compared to 2012.

Will have to take your word on that one as have not seen or heard of any marketing at all...

A major overhaul to the avatar graphics and creation system was implemented early in 2013, resulting in incredibly realistic looking avatars and enhanced avatar customization possibilities.

It's shit.

As promised in the 2013 State of the Universe Address, MindArk implemented several changes and features that helped to reduce the overall cost to participate in Entropia Universe, including:
Average TT returns were increased across the board for hunting, mining, crafting and other activities.
Reduced the volatility of many activities, especially for lower level avatars.

WTF? Thats just a flat out load of horse shit. Mining returns and COS..

An affiliate system is under development which will allow participants to earn PED by referring new Entropia Universe participants.

Cool! :D

Still in the early design stage, MindArk is planning to offer premium account upgrades for a small monthly cost.

That'll be popular! :yup: (sarcasm)

Several new deed and estate management opportunities are planned for 2014. One of these will be announced in the upcoming planet partner release scheduled for early March.

Hmm... Monria deeds anyone?

Several major public and private organizations have expressed interest in making use of the Entropia Universe platform and collaborating with MindArk for future projects.

Good to hear i guess..

No mention of any plans to sort out the loot balancing tho in the Cost to Play & Balancing section. And no acknowledgment of the ongoing worsening performance issues..

Oh no mention of Taming :laugh:

So for me personally it misses the mark but there u go, I'm just one participant. Hope it pleases others.

Last edited:
I don't like premium accounts, bad Idea!

Aside from that, cool thing!!

Regards
Thark

:yay: Should of been done a long time ago, give us some banners and we go to work.
I have 240k unique visitors each month, should bring me some nice ped

Entropia’s 10 Year Anniversary
2013 began with MindArk celebrating the ten-year anniversary of Entropia Universe. Special events were held, and hundreds of special TEN Edition items were looted throughout the year to celebrate this exciting milestone.
Could you please make sure to complete the event still due asap?
P.S. Other than that, good to see an update.

Premium Accounts - Still in the early design stage, MindArk is planning to offer premium account upgrades for a small monthly cost. Benefits of the various premium account types are still being decided, but may include such features as increased storage limits and increased number of simultaneous auctions. We are also considering making premium account upgrades available via daily mission tokens as well as special lootable items.
And, 10+ years later, there it is.

Legacy Systems - Progress is ongoing for the reimplementation and refinement of various legacy systems.

Interesting

Nothing special there to read...
and tiering speed huh..... 8 month without one step up on my assassin?!

edit, remove post

Looks positive, can't wait to see it implemeted! :yay:

I don't think I will be getting a premium account, but its something that has been requested a lot, so I see where they are coming from.

Nothing about taming? :eyecrazy:

Regards
Thark

Bad idea why? :)

I've seen tons of threads from people asking for a way to purchase or unlock extra auction/storage slots, and this seems to me like a good way to do it :dunno:

EDIT:
Nothing about taming? :eyecrazy:

"Legacy Systems - Progress is ongoing for the reimplementation and refinement of various legacy systems."

Regards
Thark

Well premium accounts could be good if that money goes directly to loot pool . It don't cost MA nothing to increase auction slots (huge bonus for serious resellers). I just hope it don't add say 25% more Eco/ power/etc to items or something stupid like that

Roadmap/SOU seems pretty lame though and rushed due to the whining about it.

Menace

....I've seen tons of threads from people asking for a way to purchase or unlock extra auction/storage slots, and this seems to me like a good way to do it :dunno:....

Or they could just increase the damn auction slots. I understand there beeing limits to what servers could handle way back when but to me it seems odd to limit it or at the very least to limit it to so few (10k items per person does seem unreasonable).

The reason I don't like it is cuz i think it will lead to premium beeing required if you wanna say seriously participate in events, or w/e. Also I don't see why a real cash economy game has to double dip. They earn money from everything we do, why also have a sub?

I don't like it but if they implement it well enough I can live with it. But it leaves a very sour taste in my mouth to think that this beatiful game could degrade to subscription, or even worse to a micro transaction, scum.

Regards
Thark

interesting year indeed

[h=3]State of the Universe Address 2014[/h]

Veteran Appreciation/Cost to Play
  • As promised in the 2013 State of the Universe Address, MindArk implemented several changes and features that helped to reduce the overall cost to participate in Entropia Universe, including:
  • Average TT returns were increased across the board for hunting, mining, crafting and other activities.
  • Removal or lowering of many unpopular fees, such as the armor equipping fee.
  • Increased the unlimited item tiering speed.
  • The minimum condition of most items lowered to 3%, freeing up a large number of PED, especially for owners of older UL weapons.
  • Reduced the volatility of many activities, especially for lower level avatars.
  • Decay and ammo consumption were removed when using a weapon not aimed at a valid target.

Cost to Play & Balancing
Continuing with the improvements made in 2013, MindArk plans to further improve average returns for many activities. One example would be the removal of the clothing equip fee in an upcoming platform release.

Originally Posted Here

ROFL !!!
It has never been so expensive.. Cost of play is totally INSANE !

Dear MA's CEO, please, stop your lies and false promises...It does not help at all your biz.

Bad idea why? :)

I've seen tons of threads from people asking for a way to purchase or unlock extra auction/storage slots, and this seems to me like a good way to do it :dunno:

EDIT:

"Legacy Systems - Progress is ongoing for the reimplementation and refinement of various legacy systems."

I'm against the premium accounts because of the actual name/title, not what it gives. Whenever I play a new game and hear 'premium' or '______' account, I always feel like I have to buy it, or that my account is not as good enough as the others. It also goes away with the true free to play sense of Entropia. Much like Rift and GW2, you can play for free.. but everyone knows that the real games and features are always unlocked when you purchase the premium account. Why not stick to what we have now and offer features to be bought from TT?

If you want to grant premium account features to player such as more storage space, I have no problem with that at all. Just sell these features in the TT terminal instead and let the people who want it buy it? WoW does this with their bank slots (of course with ingame gold), so why cant we do the same with PED? Want 100 more slots in your storage, pay 10 ped. 100 more is 50 ped, 100 more after that is 100, etc etc.

Whenever upgraded accounts are released, I feel like there is a split in the community. When Entropia will have bad times, premium account players will ask others why they don't have one to help support the game. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong but I would much rather see the proposed options to be offered as something that can be bought by anyone, rather than adding an elite status to your account. To each their own though.

Increased stability has improved? What game are they Talking about? Have 1 single thing been fixed this year? More promises but Nothing new and once again taming thrashed

Hypnotik; the premium accounts will be lootable, obtainable by daily tokens or buyable. This actually means that every newbie that cares to check the dailies, everyone hunting/mining?/crafting? will be able to have one.
The only ones that will "have" to buy it are the avatars that never leave auction or twins trading grounds.

It is something that has been asked. Only the name is a bit, well; dunno, it does have a conotation that might not be the best; but the idea is fine indeed.

Hypnotik; the premium accounts will be lootable, obtainable by daily tokens or buyable. This actually means that every newbie that cares to check the dailies, everyone hunting/mining?/crafting? will be able to have one.
The only ones that will "have" to buy it are the avatars that never leave auction or twins trading grounds.

It is something that has been asked. Only the name is a bit, well; dunno, it does have a conotation that might not be the best; but the idea is fine indeed.

Like I said, I have nothing against the features but why must they add this "premium account" status? If resellers want to be serious, they will buy this feature regardless if it is a premium account or not. If it can be purhcased from TT, it can be looted too no? Just like the voice chat tickets are/were before.

Thanks for another year of 'forgetting' to mention space on the initial 'state of the universe statement' ...

Tiering speeds have not been fixed MindArk

IF this thing of the premium goes ahead their line of "all players have same chances" is killed :D
Since a premium account will have benificts :rolleyes:

IF this thing of the premium goes ahead their line of "all players have same chances" is killed :D
Since a premium account will have benificts :rolleyes:

Not really... if it did, then it would already be gone because some people have more money than others, or because you can buy higher level items, or skill up, or... :laugh:

Not really... if it did, then it would already be gone because some people have more money than others, or because you can buy higher level items, or skill up, or... :laugh:

Not my point.
My point being, even tho you can depo, it'll give you something all can have, PED on card, some can depo for having instant acess to it, some can just do it very slowly ingame.

But premium would give you unique features that would give you advantages.
If they speak of adding extra auction fees, if you are a miner/ trader it'll be quite a big advantage.
Even tho some have second accounts and even third for such purposes

Overall this SOU feels lacking. Basicly 1 thing in the first paragraph holds and thats the fact that they have removed decay from ammo and fixing it down to 3%.
Now if they could do the same with clothing I acctualy wouldnt mind them keeping the fee on for changing outfits. That might even get the market back on track a lill for crafted clothes.

For the rest of the first part of this Im starting to question if im playing the same game as MA is said to be hosting.

Premium accounts - may start off as an innocent way to give certain features, but you will get a creeping effect with each passing year, where more important features are added until eventually a premium account is a necessity for any serious player.
Also the fact that they want you to set up a direct debit instead of a pay as you go type system shows greed in that they know you wont bother to cancel the subscription during quiet times/holidays etc.

If you let them get their claws in there now it will come back to haunt..

Also it goes against the whole ethos of EU.

Not my point.
My point being, even tho you can depo, it'll give you something all can have, PED on card, some can depo for having instant acess to it, some can just do it very slowly ingame.

But premium would give you unique features that would give you advantages.

I still don't see the difference, seeing as anyone could also buy a premium account in the same way?

(I do agree with the people saying that having another name for it could be good though)

Back