FAQ'o'palo

Hm. I'm seeing some mixed advice on amping.
I'm just started and at rifle 180 or so.

However, I started to amp at around 80. Killing almost anything with an unamped opalo would be a pain since you need sooo many shots. And if you have no decent armor one is often killed before (and with e.g. fully repaired pixie or goblin you'll take a lot of armor decay).
From an efficiency point of view (dam/sec), I would say amp from the very beginning.

Now someone mentioned that without amping you skill faster. I did not do a real experiment to this, but I am quite sure I did skill a lot faster with the amp. It seems that the skill gain I get from the same mob is the roughly the same.
(and if someone wants to experimentally verify this, please do).

However I can kill more mobs in the same time. Also I can move to a little bit less low mobs. It took way less time to go from 80 to 180 with amp than it took to go from 0 to 80 without amp.

So for me:
it seems that skill gain is more related to ammo burned than on amping or not
an amp has better dam/pec so more economical
the skill gain/hr is better with amp

(and yes: ammo burn/hr is also higher; however if that is the major concern then better stay within the city limits (no need to burn ammo in PA, so economically this very cheap :) )

There is still one open issue for me:
If you kill the mob you get some additional skill gain. So it might be more efficient when skilling to take down lower level mobs. Or is the additional skill gain depending on the HP of the mob?

(or in other words: do I (due to the skill bonus you get when killing a mob) skill more from taking down 9 snab-mail young (hp 20) than from taking down 1 cornundacauda mature (hp 180) ? )

yes with the amp you skill allot faster then without, however I would wait until you reached a decent CHA and HA for using the amp, till then skill on sabakuma :)

Nice thread for beginners....

Have given you a sticky in the Guide Portal over at ED

darkerl said:
yes with the amp you skill allot faster then without, however I would wait until you reached a decent CHA and HA for using the amp, till then skill on sabakuma :)

Wrong.. use amps from the beginning, better eco and dm/sec = less armor/fap decay, less boredom. more fun.

to those of you saying youll lose more in the beginning with amp on. your losing alot more by not using an amp.

darkerl said:

CHA? HA? you're loosing me. Don't know what skills this refers to. Remember this is the n00bs corner :)

J D said:
Nice thread for beginners....

Have given you a sticky in the Guide Portal over at ED

I'm glad it is now registered into your database. :)

Thankyou ;)

EDIT: you should correct the link, it leads directly to page 7 :)

Dutchie said:
CHA? HA? you're loosing me. Don't know what skills this refers to. Remember this is the n00bs corner :)

HA is your Hit Ability. Its starts at 3.0/10 on the opalo.
CHA is your Critical Hit Ability. Its starts at 0.0/10 on the opalo.

Other important stats are your min damage and your max damage. Once you have 'maxed' out your opalo your min damage will be 4 and your max damage will be 8. At the beginning I think min damage may be 2 and max damage is I believe 6 so clearly getting those early skills helps quite a lot.

Common advice is not to amp your opalo until you have maxed it out (doesn't take that long). You certainly shouldn't amp it until you've got nearly 8 max dmg as you won't be getting the full effect out of the amp until then...

Once you have maxed out the opalo the bigger the amp the better (A10x series, not the E-amp series).

I guess this deserves a little BUMP! :D

Take that! Muahahahaha pinned down! Stay up this time!

this will need some revision after the vu change. :(

gona need bigger teams in the future :rolleyes:

Jimmy B said:
Once you have maxed out the opalo the bigger the amp the better (A10x series, not the E-amp series).

I'd hold on before buying a big amp if I were you, MA are on to all you people with A106/Opalo....

MA said:
From VU 8.7 an amp will at most increase the weapon base damage by 50%. Adding a more powerful amp will give a warning to the participant, stating the situation. The amp will be able to be used, it just won't perform max. damage.

which means from VU 8.7 the max possible damage from an Opalo is 12, so imo an A101 would be best (3 dmg/0 ammo)

VU news

:girl:

Excellent article

This article is very informative ... you deserve a hof for this!

I have two comments:

1. About the use of laser sight on opallo. I have a A&P series bravo mentor edition, and my failing rate goes up withouth the laser sight... maybe this is true for the opallo (even if minimal), which I maxed out.

2. The scope is usefull when you have not maxed your oppallo. At least it was for me, because I could put a shot or two at a corn before it attacked me.... that really made a difference for me as I died less. Now that I maxed the opallo, I find no need for a scope

Congratz :)

Yea I know, readed MA's article :(

The article won't be updated after the VU.

But don't worry boys ;) I'll investigate the situation when they'll release :D

Back