Guide to mining PVP4

tiebender

Guardian
Society
Dawn Daemons!!!
DeadBody Tie Offset
!!UPDATED!!
I don't have so much time, so this guide may be incomplete just now, I will finish it when I get to it, please be patient.

I have been spending alot of time in PVP4, mining mostly, sometimes strangling the odd Mulmun or M'ufukker, but now I think it's time to share my hard earned wisdom.

I will cover 3 working tactics to survive and prosper in pvp4 and describe some PK (Player Kill) tactics. For you who don't know where pvp4 is, here's a map;

The only things that can be looted from you are ores/matters, skins, hides, oils, wood, fruit and dung.
When you exit PvP4, you can still be killed for 30 seconds, but not looted!
Being killed by a mob does not cost you your antitoxic shot.

PK survival strategy:
When running around, make sure you always stay close to a ridge or a hill, don't venture out in open flat grounds unless it's a quick dash.
If you see a green dot on the radar, stop and charge your LESSER TP chip and mark a spot you would like to go to. If you are in a bad strategic location, like open ground, or on a hilltop, you should quickly run to the other side, before charging your LESSER TP chip.
When charged, don't actually TP away until the dot comes towards you. Take it easy, the dot could be friendly. Try saying hello in the all chat, maybe you know the person and can estimate your level of sancturary.
(If it's BD, Medea Adel Green or ZenTia and they say you are safe, then it's ok, they keep their word.. so far... :) Don't trust Yquem and Lars for anything.
Anyways, if you don't hear a peep from them, or they don't stop and change direction, just hit the TP button and save your ass. Don't release the charge until the green dot has left your radar or TP's out themselves (1*).

If you are close to water, jump into the water and dive down before charging you LESSER TP chip. You can't be targetted by a player out of water while you are underwater.

Most intellingent would be to TP to someplace underwater or into a whole lot of Mulak'F that can kill you quickly...

------------------------------------------------------------------
General for all mining in PvP4.
NEVER FORGOT TO HAVE ENOUGH ME AND REPAIR YOUR TP CHIP!!
PvP4 is a special spot because claims most often come in pairs of two in 3 rows, meaning that you will may an East-West vein, but it only consists of 2 claims.. Going North or South about 100-150 metres will then reveal the location of the next two claims... You are looking for the SMALLER one! Because once you find the smaller one, the location of the BIG one is revealed! Use your 102 amp where you suppose it is, and whammo, you get a nice find.
The running distance between claims is different for the spawn of the day and the type of ore/matter. Mostly, Lyst and Oil aren't spaced far apart, neither is Typo and Blaus, but Niks, Narc, Angelic and Lyta are usually spaced by 100 metres for vein claims, and veins are spaced around 100-300 metres, making them harder to spot.

Noob mining;
Your skills are probably just around 300 in prospecting. You do have a chance here.You will need a lesser Teleport chip as the minimum requirement to survive.
Space your probes/bombs, do not use amps higher than 101-Light! You will only find oil, magerian mist and Lytarian dust. The two last ones only rarely. For oil, stay to the East and Western ends sides of PvP4. Don't bother going towards the center, you will only loose your money.
Mining along the beaches is a good way to get used to PvP4, but is also a noob PK'ers hangout zone.

Experienced miners;
Boy, this is paradise on good days! You have over 500 in prospecting, prefferably, you use the 213(L) gear.. 211 and 212 is also good, but not the best.
You must have a Minor TP chip! Without it, you risk spending too much time in harms way. I found out, the hard way..

Get the gear that gives u the maximum average depth that you want to afford, and get two of each finder. Use amps 101 light on your primary finder and stick an amp 102 on your secondary "I-feel-lucky" finder. The getup you should have now is 2 orefinders and 2 enmatter finders with lower and higher amps. Don't amp higher than 102, it's not worth it, unless you are an idiot or have insane luck.

Stay clear of the far Western end of PvP4, theres only Belkar worth the mention, rest is oil and lyst, don't ever waste your amps on low markup ores.
For the best spots you should experiment and find the spots that give good markup stuff, I suggest the North-central part for Narc, Niks, Angelic, Typo and the odd rare finds like Blood Moss and Gold you can find in the South central parts. I will make a map over what to find where when I get to it.

Uber mining;
Do midskilled, just use big amps and don't mind the part where you loose alot of ped.

How to NOT be looted
Yes, I have a some secrets and some bugs I may be exploiting, but all is far in war eh?
There are 3 methods to keep you loots safe from looters.

(1) Rodent tactics
Hiding your stash in rocks and trees.
Go mining.. find some claims, Don't mine them! When claims display 30 min left, go mine them. As soon as you mined it, run off to your secret spot. Make sure you never dump more than 10 ped tt value in each spot. Gold and Blood Moss you dump seperately, since just 1 ped Blood Moss can turn a whole trip to profit.
When dumping stashes, refine bright items like Magerian and Melchi, because in refined state, they are less colourfull.. Typo should not be refined, neither should angelic.. work it out.. Then hide your stuff, at the edges of adjoining trees and rocks, never in the middle, and for goblins sake, don't let the stash items touch each other when placing them, sometimes you can't pick them up again because of a stacking bug.
Never carry more than you are willing to loose while scurrying about your stashes..
Sometimes you may find some other players stash. TAKE IT! Don't be sorry, one day someone will take your stash too. When taking some other players stash, leave the place, you don't know who the other player is, you don't care or wanna know, and you don't ask the green dot that comes towards you if they want their stuff back. That's about as bright as running towards a truck on the highway.

To get your stuff out safely, you will have to do many trips. Make sure you place your stashes in the rim of the PvP zone, so you are only 1 jump from deep water. Take one stash at the time, tp out to a distant spot, drop your stash (mind the stacking bug) and then at last, pick it all up and tp wherever to your storage.
Alternatively, you can have a friend to pick it up, see (2) for details.

(2) Monkey in the middle
Best for this is when it's a team or soc fellow soc member that acts monkey.
You have a friend/person you trust that stays at a certain location with a minor tp at full charge and a destination marked at all times. You mine around, using the technique described in part (1) with the difference that instead of using stashes, you use your friend as a dump.
Don't trade with your friend, just dump the ores on the ground directly infront of him/her so that no step needs to be made, which would interrupt the TP charge. He/she can pick up items without having to stop the charge.
If at any time a green dot shows hostile potential, your monkey is gone faster than you can blink. You may or may not die, but your stash will be in the safety of your monkeylove.
Being a monkey can be incredibly boring, so make sure to make it worth their while.
Also, when apporaching the monkey, use the soc/team chat to say "I'm coming from the North within 5 seconds" or something, so monkey don't loose nerve and waste precious time, putting the finder at risk of PK with a too early TP panic.
All monkey has to do is stay calm. It may take some practice to get that level of primordial fear under control.
When monkey does TP away, monkey must dump stash somewhere or storage it before TP'ing back. There is a great risk involved in TP'ing into PvP, don't take it, rather safe and slow than fast and sorry.

(3) Big brother has a big gun.
If you have a friend with a big gun, who likes to PK, ask for a joyride.
If you want, you can be 2 friends and your bodyguard. One mines Matters, the other Ores and a share is given to the big guy as thanks.

I havent tried this yet, but as a designer, it seems like a good idea at the time.

Should it happen that a green dot appears, your gun must run towards it, guns blazing, while miners charge TP chips.. just incase the gun is outgunned.

This I imagine is the safest way to trespass PvP4, but also tedious, because gun may never be farther than 20-50 metres from any miner to be able to outrun incoming fire. So mining claims will be boring.

Player Killers strategies and rules of the battlefield;

(1) Player killers are not assholes or thieves.
(edit - added or thieves.)

If you can't mentally take it being shot and looted by another player, then don't venture into PvP zones. It's the rule of the universe, stay out, don't rant or complain about players that kill and loot you, you went there, you asked for it.

(2) Some PK'ers are "humane".
If you are surprised by a PK'er, and it's clear you are going to be killed, you can actually ask politely if you may remove your armour first to save unneccesary decay. You can also offer some amonut of ped to be left alive. I don't do that, because I was once killed anyways after giving 10 ped ores, but sometimes they let you go.

(3) Running away makes it more fun for a PK'er.
The expression, "The chase is better than the catch" is often law in PvP.

(4) Pissing of PK'ers makes them more annoying to other innocent players.
If you are caught/killed, don't shitmouth the player in a safe spots, if you are angry, just don't say anything. The less you say, the less exciting it is for them to actually PK.

(5) Always carry 1 common dung with you.
When looted in PvP, it's the nicest way to say "fuck you, here is some shit in your face, asshole, thief and bitch." This means especially much if you don't actually have any other loot on you than a measly piece of shit.

(6) Bullshitting!
When only carrying one dung on you and knowing you are dead, try giving the green dot a good run for it. Do as much damage as you can on their armour before you are killed, so they have to pay insane markups on their (L) armours.

PK strategies decompiled:

(1*) Death by the vanishing dot
When a green dot suddenly disappears from radar, so it looks like the dot TP'd out, don't hang around too long, the player may have logged off just besides one of your claims and will relog in about 1 minute, just when you think you are safe. You are not safe! From relogging to the time for the player to gain control over their avatar is only about 3 seconds. Just enough for you to get a heart attack and scream like a little girl while smashing your keyboard frantically. Be warned!

(2) The German chicken run.
This tactic makes the miner/hunter feel safe. A green dot appears and then quickly disappears, and the miner/hunter think; "Ah, a fellow non-pk'er who does not want to be killed." and then resumes his/her virtual bandwidth waste. Most likely the miner/hunter will walk/run a little away from wherever the green dot appeared.. This is a natural reflex that gives the victim a safety margin. Little does the player know that right outside of the radar, the heavily loaded and cynical mind of a seasoned pk'er is charging a lesser tp and tps that little tad in the miner/hunters direction to land directly on top of the sad sod.
When this happens, you are dead unless you can match your firepower or already have your tp charged.
Sometimes, out of paranoia, I charge my chip and wait a while.. just to make sure that the green dot didn't try to pull the infamous German chicken run on me. Saved my ass a few times too. Meph was closest of all, he actually got to see me scream like a little girl behind the glare of my monitor... but I had also just looted his secret stash of 50 ped Blaus and narc. Left him a Blaus and a Narc stone and 1 ammo.. because I was out of dung.. :D Thx Meph!

(3) The ploy of the jolly bastard
When you are hailed by a green dot, and you are behind a hill in relative safety, tp charging, don't fall for a a friendly smile and a kind hello. If the green dot comes towards you or any other direction than straight out of the radar, give a polite hello and tp the hell outta there. It's a trick to buy time so said pk'er can get you in line of sight and whack you real hard with a Tango or worse.
The only polite direction to go when confronted by a green dot is opposite of you.

(4) The pleading whiner backstab
Noob PK'ers think they are so smart with thier cowardly tactic of noobish pretense. They have most likely something like a V1 minisweeper or DOA model that can hurt alot. They deposited alot, bought alot of gear and want some reputation as an idiot at a flea market. They may say something like "Please don't kill me, I just want to get my claims." and hope that you answer something like "Don't worry, I'm just a hunter/miner." .. and since your name is not something badass like Yquem or BD, Tie or Nicole etc, they know they are likely to win.. they run sort of in your direction, make a sharp turn and go straight to you.
Because you already had your tp charged, you are very much not there by the time they get in range, but if you where in line of sight as per model (3), just a touch form a lousy opalo will take your charge to exactly useless.
Make sure that does not happen!

(5) Quick and dirty
You hardly notice it, suddenly there is a green dot too close for comfort running directly at you. You didn't see if it tp'd into you or came running with a vengeance. You are dead, forget it, run a bit if it makes you feel better, but a veteran with 90 agility will quickly catch up with u.

(6) The Australian nickernacker
Iv'e only seen this one once, was odd, but it worked. Probably requires the PK'er to be very patient and have a mod or imp fap.
I saw a cluster of red dots, didn't really pay attention, figured it may have been some player taking their life for a quick revival.. But no, there was a green dot hiding inside the red dots!!! I came a bit closer, Took a casual glance, and suddenly lost 68 hp, then 85, and was dead, shot by some gizzard with an M7162A. Pow! That was really cheeky! Met the player later and found was an Aussie, hence the name of strategy.
Points for style and surprise!
(Looted only 1 dung, 2 boards and 50 pec oils :) )
Happened with attackers, may also be possible with mulmun.

Last edited:
Nice guide ;)

I've been there many times as a miner and a PK.
Great place to increase my heart rate :D

LOL thats funny i wil bring poop to pvp from now on

maybe do a goup strategy where one guy allows himself to get killed having a few k dung on himself and then the PKér gets heavey and cant move very well when then backupteam arrives :)

enmatter sucked for me there, 70% of my EA 103, and had like 10-14 ped back

But hink you got balls, first trying to talk your way out of PVP4 :p

Good post, but i kind of disagree on one point, just because someone is doing something that is allowed in game, doesn't change the fact that they are actively trying to steal money off you, and for that reason if someone kills me in pvp 4 im definetly not doing them any favors in the future

Nice guide.

I like the strategies to avoid getting killed. I'll elaborate on them a bit based on my personal experience.

For me, when I am in pvp4 pking, I am usually looking for a fight with someone equal skilled or better. It's a fun challenge and a good way to practice pvp skills. I'm not there specifically to kill noob hunters/miners, but of course I will if I'm provoked.

I think the easiest ways to provoke a PKer are to:

- Run away. This activates a desire to chase, and also curiosity that the player may be carrying a lot of loot and is desperate to escape.

- Run towards the PKer. When I see a green dot running straight towards me, regardless of who it is, I feel threatened. Especially if the dot is running up from behind a hill and I can't see who it is. I will usually shoot the instant that I can.

- Get angry, swear, beg for your life, attack, etc. For obvious reasons, doing stuff like that will get you shot.

The best way to escape is always to TP out if it is safe to charge your chip. Suiciding on a big mob is also a good option.

The very best advice I have for staying alive, if escape is not possible, is being nice. If a dot shows up on my radar, and right away starts chatting like:

"Hi =)"
"how's it going?"
"any luck today?"

then, suddenly, the random noob I was thinking about killing becomes a real person. A nice one at that. I find it almost impossible to answer back "hi, i'm good, how are you?" and then kill him. A lot of people will kill just because they don't have a reason not to, so give them a reason.

(Of course, some people will kill you no matter what you do. Or maybe I'm just too nice and this tactic will only work against me)

The bottom line, as tiebender said, is don't go into pvp4 unless you can accept getting killed, and don't take it personally if you do. It's part of the game.

Nice guide.

I like the strategies to avoid getting killed. I'll elaborate on them a bit based on my personal experience.

For me, when I am in pvp4 pking, I am usually looking for a fight with someone equal skilled or better. It's a fun challenge and a good way to practice pvp skills. I'm not there specifically to kill noob hunters/miners, but of course I will if I'm provoked.

I think the easiest ways to provoke a PKer are to:

- Run away. This activates a desire to chase, and also curiosity that the player may be carrying a lot of loot and is desperate to escape.

- Run towards the PKer. When I see a green dot running straight towards me, regardless of who it is, I feel threatened. Especially if the dot is running up from behind a hill and I can't see who it is. I will usually shoot the instant that I can.

- Get angry, swear, beg for your life, attack, etc. For obvious reasons, doing stuff like that will get you shot.

The best way to escape is always to TP out if it is safe to charge your chip. Suiciding on a big mob is also a good option.

The very best advice I have for staying alive, if escape is not possible, is being nice. If a dot shows up on my radar, and right away starts chatting like:

"Hi =)"
"how's it going?"
"any luck today?"

then, suddenly, the random noob I was thinking about killing becomes a real person. A nice one at that. I find it almost impossible to answer back "hi, i'm good, how are you?" and then kill him. A lot of people will kill just because they don't have a reason not to, so give them a reason.

(Of course, some people will kill you no matter what you do. Or maybe I'm just too nice and this tactic will only work against me)

The bottom line, as tiebender said, is don't go into pvp4 unless you can accept getting killed, and don't take it personally if you do. It's part of the game.

No your not the only one , this kind of thing effects me too, a lot of time I go in to practice my pvp skills and either some one says hello putting a human face on the mark, or some one is so underskilled .. I tell them to run away.
Well I never said I was a good pker ;)

Funny that you mention that running away is a good way to get killed, most predators will have their instinctive hunting sense take over with any prey that runs away. But to stay your ground will confuse most animals (sharks, Lions, etc) .
And even make them a little curious, and apprehensive.

the same holds threw for animals too if they feel threated , they will also attack.

Yeah I watch to many nature programs ;)

Funny that you mention that running away is a good way to get killed, most predators will have their instinctive hunting sense take over with any prey that runs away. But to stay your ground will confuse most animals (sharks, Lions, etc) .
And even make them a little curious, and apprehensive.

the same holds threw for animals too if they feel threated , they will also attack.

Yeah I watch to many nature programs ;)

Sharks will not hunt you unless you try to flee i guess. but they might take a bite just to see if you are eatable and tastes good anyways. and im not sure if i would run away after that tbh.. :p;)

but idneed :D it is all natural. my cat tho. she is so not natural. she hunts anything and everything no matter if it moves, if it dosnt move, then you can be sure she make it move :rolleyes:

Sharks will not hunt you unless you try to flee i guess. but they might take a bite just to see if you are eatable and tastes good anyways. and im not sure if i would run away after that tbh.. :p;)

but idneed :D it is all natural. my cat tho. she is so not natural. she hunts anything and everything no matter if it moves, if it dosnt move, then you can be sure she make it move :rolleyes:

yeah sharks are know for their test bites, but they really dont like human meat :)

strange cat :)

LOL! Good thing Yquem posted some usefull links of cool stuff you can find in pvp4 :) :sniper:
Best defence is often attack :) - what would you do when a GD is approaching and you got 550 tt binary????

yeah sharks are know for their test bites, but they really dont like human meat :)

strange cat :)

yepps i belive it was something like that.

well she got a large area to play around in, i got a large backyard so she likes beeing out there hehe. =)

Last edited:
Best defence is often attack :) - what would you do when a GD is approaching and you got 550 tt binary????

Yeah fear GD :D

LOL seriously i cant help it, but starting your tp when u see a dot is the worst thing u can do. When it has finally loaded (and u clicked a destination) you are already death, and if not you will be vulnerable for a few seconds more.

Q: are rocketlaunchers usable as selfdefence weapons against PK-er? Just looked data of Detpil V-Rex1000(L). Fair amount of shrapnel damage and long range.. and explosion effects are really annoying and distracting..
and by shooting into ground I could just kill myself with it...

I thought so far that launchers are useless toys but this made me think

now that was a thought for miners acurly.. getting a good lanucher to kill yourself with might save your life and looot :eek:

didn't i read a thread that when you pk yourself your loot gets lost in limbo?
or was that another bug?:scratch2:

no, I think you will just lost your toxic shot. tried suicide in pvp3 few months back and didnt notice lootloss..just toxic shot weared off..

no, I think you will just lost your toxic shot. tried suicide in pvp3 few months back and didnt notice lootloss..just toxic shot weared off..

Now if you kill yourself in PVP4 you will lost all your loot and toxic shot...

You don't need to kill yourself really..just get past 50% damage so you can't be looted by the PKer. A mining buddy can help with that, just have at each other until neither of you can be looted by a PKer (maybe even stay at low health whenever in PvP by attacking each other with low dmg weapons). Would need to be a person you trusted of course.

I wouldn't mind betting that there are OJs that wouldn't mind a trip to PvP4 for a few peds to act as decoys too ?

Standing inside trees and rocks where possible out of sight and dropping bombs ( a tip from Star Mercury in another thread so obviously works)....both make sniping from distance difficult. Every little helps.

Underwater TP charging ...loved that one, nice thinking.
Great thread all round. +rep

t

10 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
11 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
12 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
13 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
14 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
15 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
16 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
17 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
18 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
19 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
20 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
21 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
22 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
23 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
24 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
25 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
26 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
27 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
28 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
29 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
30 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
31 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
32 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
33 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
34 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
35 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
36 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
37 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED CARRIED
38 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
39 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
40 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED CARRIED
41 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED CARRIED
42 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
43 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
44 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
45 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
46 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
47 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED CARRIED
48 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED CARRIED
49 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
50 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE
51 Anti-Toxic Shot 1 0.10 PED STORAGE

Hellfire needs all the help he can get :ahh:

Uhm u can also repair it u know...

Yeh I just keep them as trophies :)

Just a bumper

Thx for your input ppl, I'm gonna be using it to perfect my style.

Tie

LOL! Good thing Yquem posted some usefull links of cool stuff you can find in pvp4 :) :sniper:

Makes you wonder why he posted them in the first place. :scratch2: :eureka: :vampire: :sniper: :duh:

Cheers
Richard
(ingame Siam)

I've never been in pvp4 yet.... perhaps i'll try it someday, carrying a few dozens of dung.

Great guide with some good tips. The only thing I miss is the use of mob to elude a pker. I use this tactic most of the time when I'm in a pvp zone.

The idea is similar to the hills/obstacle tactic. I mine around herds of (heavy) mob, not those crappy flying bots they take way to long to kill you. No armor ofc. And as soon as I see a green dot I just run into the mob. Worked several times for me now. At one time the pker even got a hit on me, but still the killing blow was dealt by a mob :D

Works great to cover those open spaces, just stay close to the mob and keep your eyes focused on the lower right part of your screen.

Btw I get the feeling that blood moss is getting rarer in pvp, any1 has same exp?

Yeah those frikking posts about pvp make more and more people com ethere :(
I want to make an event there so only i can get in :D

Btw I get the feeling that blood moss is getting rarer in pvp, any1 has same exp?

Like all mosses it is slow growing. :D

Cheers
Richard
(ingame Siam)

Q: are rocketlaunchers usable as selfdefence weapons against PK-er? Just looked data of Detpil V-Rex1000(L). Fair amount of shrapnel damage and long range.. and explosion effects are really annoying and distracting..

I thought so far that launchers are useless toys but this made me think

Right now you loose your anti shoot and your loot - dont know if it is a bug yet - have done a support case

Makes you wonder why he posted them in the first place. :scratch2: :eureka: :vampire: :sniper: :duh:

Cheers
Richard
(ingame Siam)
As a miner and a pk I just tell what you can expect in pvp4 - no more no less

Back