Beware traders who disguise their prices

KP708

Old Alpha
Society
Terra Verde
Ok I thought I'd post this in the newbie section because I've noticed it happening more and more and I would hate to think that someone loses out as a result.

It's not technically a scam, just sharp practice, but be on the look out for it.

I've noticed a disturbing trend recently among buyers, especially in PA, towards covering up how low their price is. And this particularly seems to be prevalent among sweat buyers, so is clearly aimed at fooling new players.

For example yesterday, there was a buyer buying at 0.4. But instead of saying buying sweat 0.4, they said buying 5000 sweat for 20 ped or somewhere round those figures. And they picked a weird number...it wasn't exactly 5k...something like 5327 sweat, clearly to make it harder to calculate.

I can just imagine new players, a little overwhelmed by all that is new in EU, and not familiar enough with trading to work out the price, thinking wow 20 ped, cool I can buy a gun with that - I'll sell.

It's a bit like the prices in car showrooms..."this car only £9995". Oh wow a bargain it's only 9k. Erm no, it's 10k, disguised as 9k.

So if someone is not quoting the price they are buying for, but just giving a ped total, ask yourself why. And work out what the price per bottle/unit is. It's probably a rubbish price.

And sellers... how about a bit of open honesty. You just give yourself and your soc a bad name if you try to trick new players by disguising your price. It's quite clear to more experienced players what you're trying to do.

It's only my opinion, and others may disagree, but in my view, trying to trick a new player is unforgivable. Sadly even EU has its share of people who care little for others and only for their own wallet, so beware.

lol any newbie with 5k+ sweat, I would think would know how to calculate the price :silly2:.

I don't know that you had to actually have the full amount to sell. Just a way to advertise the price I guess.

In any case, some newbies will gather 5k before selling. It only takes a week or less.

And who is more likely to be tricked by this - a newbie with their first 5k, or an experienced player selling 5k when they have sold tens or hundreds of k in total already ?

I just thought it worth pointing out, because it's an obvious ploy, and you can never say often enough that you should always think twice before accepting a trade.
:)

Thanks for the info...even us month old players are easily fooled...and I notice this game is full of scammers...

I joined a guild in my first week who literally took me to the cleaners. You really cannot trust anyone even guildmates...which is the first time I've ever seen that and I've been online gaming since '99. I think these people should be ashamed of themselves.

Thanks for the info...even us month old players are easily fooled...and I notice this game is full of scammers...

I joined a guild in my first week who literally took me to the cleaners. You really cannot trust anyone even guildmates...which is the first time I've ever seen that and I've been online gaming since '99. I think these people should be ashamed of themselves.

Care to elaborate on that???

Sounds a lil scary to me...

Thanks

I take it you soc sucked then, Theres alot of trustworthy players, you just have to keep clear of the bad ones. Although the bad ones can be anywhere from a noob soc to the number one higherst skilled soc.

Another one to be wary of is the buyer that won't put his price out in chat period. If they make you come over and chat or initiate trade before they'll tell you, odds are its ridiculously low and they don't want most people to know what they're trying. Cuz most of us that have been sweating for a while would say something in chat or otherwise tip off noobs as to the fact that is not a good price. By keeping it private, most noobs won't find out they've gotten a bad deal (not a scam mind you) until they compare it afterwards with someone else or do another deal.

I joined a guild called the Calypso Rangers. It was great for about 10 minutes. Then he said he was collecting for his rocket ship...so I donated some cheap ammo...and then I met this guild mate who friended me and wanted to help me with my armor and weapons...Stupid me just assumed that any guildmate was trustworthy...he took my weaps to enhance them and make them more durable and better quality...and tried to take my armor but luckily it wouldn't let me trade it with him for some reason so I only lost about 10 melee weaps...once he asked me for my probes to enhance even stupid me knew those couldn't be enhanced since they were consumables. I told him I'm not giving him anymore until he shows me the enhancement...he told me to tp to his house somewhere'd Id never been...and when he left he was gone for good. Never seen him come back on either...and the whole guild never talked to me again.

A buddy of mine that joined the guild told me they thought I'd given him all that stuff...craziness it was...so I just abandoned the guild and am not going to trust anyone now

on topic

well, the thread title is too long

"Beware traders" :deal: had done it :laugh:

nah, honestly, it is indeed pretty weird how ppl try to rip other ppls off

I joined a guild called the Calypso Rangers. It was great for about 10 minutes. Then he said he was collecting for his rocket ship...so I donated some cheap ammo...and then I met this guild mate who friended me and wanted to help me with my armor and weapons...Stupid me just assumed that any guildmate was trustworthy...he took my weaps to enhance them and make them more durable and better quality...and tried to take my armor but luckily it wouldn't let me trade it with him for some reason so I only lost about 10 melee weaps...once he asked me for my probes to enhance even stupid me knew those couldn't be enhanced since they were consumables. I told him I'm not giving him anymore until he shows me the enhancement...he told me to tp to his house somewhere'd Id never been...and when he left he was gone for good. Never seen him come back on either...and the whole guild never talked to me again.
holy shit !

what weird socmates
bunch of scammers :(

that is pretty sad to hear

A buddy of mine that joined the guild told me they thought I'd given him all that stuff...craziness it was...so I just abandoned the guild and am not going to trust anyone now
there are pretty trustworthy people, but you should take a look at the standard scams, to be aware of them
(you cant upgrade armor nor weapons)

there are pretty trustworthy people, but you should take a look at the standard scams, to be aware of them
(you cant upgrade armor nor weapons)

You can't upgrade anything.

That is unbelievably bad, to experience it in your first few weeks. Sorry to hear that happened to you. The things people will do :/

Like Alice said, there are trustworthy people, but sadly also there are scammers. So yes, very good idea to be aware of common scams.

And if someone hasn't given you a reason to trust them yet, best not to trust them.

Someone trustworthy should generally be happy to give you collateral if you lend an item.

Clothes? Upgrade from uncoloured to coloured? Not sure if you'd count this as an upgrade, but you do have to lend them your clothing item :D
Some colourers you can trust. But random guys in PA who offer to colour your shirt black? Definitely not!

on topic

well, the thread title is too long

"Beware traders" :deal: had done it :laugh:
Let's just make it "Beware"

Another one that's been happening a lot to me lately, also not a scam, is random team inviting.

You suddenly have someone rush up to you, say nothing, and invite you onto a team. They then run off. If you click yes, you find the loot is on queue, meaning items from any loot go in order round the team members. If you carry on hunting, part of your loot goes to the team creator who then does nothing and probably is miles away upgrading armour or whatever.

My advice...if you're hunting never accept a random team invite.

If they do it repeatedly and you're planning on chatting or sweating, click yes...you might just get a handy armour part while doing nothing. :laugh:

but ppl tend to give weapons and armor to be "upgraded"
i mean, who doesn't want a tt sword upgraded to a enblade 13 ME, and his good old settler to adjusted shadow? :rolleyes:

unfortunately that comes from other games, so it sounds believeable
like that guy who wanted to make my kat honor "indestructible" :rolleyes:

Let's just make it "Beware"
lol, yes :D
always have your protection with you

Another one that's been happening a lot to me lately, also not a scam, is random team inviting.

You suddenly have someone rush up to you, say nothing, and invite you onto a team. They then run off. If you click yes, you find the loot is on queue, meaning items from any loot go in order round the team members. If you carry on hunting, part of your loot goes to the team creator who then does nothing and probably is miles away upgrading armour or whatever.

My advice...if you're hunting never accept a random team invite.

If they do it repeatedly and you're planning on chatting or sweating, click yes...you might just get a handy armour part while doing nothing. :laugh:
exactly

i tend to accepts chats or trade, but especially team invitations all the time
that time i ran a "newbie" to billys and he created a team, with something like random loot, the newbie saw my amazing capability of not being attacked by mobs at all :)
PA to billys without a fight, and no loot at all :D
me--> :nutkick: <--nerve wracking newbie who wants free loot

but as long i sweat, or chat, just come to me with that loot rule :)
especially if you hunt spiders, falx and similar stuff
just invite me :D
i will contribute a nice chat in the team and will also say grats and even thx for every global/hof you have
aths welcome :laugh:

I was so excited to get a guild invite...and then to have the comrodery of a guild again...and maybe someone to do stuff with...it's not like Ultima here it's very lonesome. But finally getting into a guild...that sucked...

I just never suspected a guild member would scam me...it's unfathomable in other online gaming...never has it happened until here.. Real money changes people...I guess it's better to just play alone or with people you really know. I play with my mom and a friend i brought over from ultima...that's it. We're all newbies so of course we don't know what we're doing. But we kill 01 and 02 drones okay together...it's fun at least.

Just can't really trust anyone here that I've seen. I met someone on forums here but he's too high level to wanna hang with us...so it's a drag in many ways cause it must take 10 years to get your skills beyone 2 or 3k.

sorry derek gl in future

I was so excited to get a guild invite...and then to have the comrodery of a guild again...and maybe someone to do stuff with...it's not like Ultima here it's very lonesome. But finally getting into a guild...that sucked...

I just never suspected a guild member would scam me...it's unfathomable in other online gaming...never has it happened until here.. Real money changes people...I guess it's better to just play alone or with people you really know. I play with my mom and a friend i brought over from ultima...that's it. We're all newbies so of course we don't know what we're doing. But we kill 01 and 02 drones okay together...it's fun at least.

Just can't really trust anyone here that I've seen. I met someone on forums here but he's too high level to wanna hang with us...so it's a drag in many ways cause it must take 10 years to get your skills beyone 2 or 3k.

True, trust is difficult in this game.

I would be happy to run with you guys, though.
PM me with the times you usually are in, and mayhaps we can hook up.

I have been in game for about a year, even though I still have fairly n00B stats. (was out of country for a few months and no time for the game.)

I know my way around pretty well and can play tour guide.

........... We're all newbies so of course we don't know what we're doing. But we kill 01 and 02 drones okay together...it's fun at least.

There are lots of good socs here in EU. But with everything its wise to keep an sharp eye.
I have been in "Miners Mafia" and "NBK". Both are trustworthy, honest socs which are open to "noobs" and you still have lots of very wise or skilled members in it.
Do some research, good socs often have an own forum, either here on EF like NBK or on their own webpage like MM (Miners Mafia)

I wish you the best :)

To the topic: Allways have a calculator to your side. If you have no idea how to calc with %, go and learn it! Thats somewhat the very basic of EU! More important than any "eco" stats or whatever...

I've played another mmorpg for about 3 years now and tbh you can't REALLY trust anyone in an online game. that said, i started on eu just over 2 weeks ago and reckon i'm in for the long haul so say hi if ya see me around. :)

Thanks so much for the kind words.

My char is Matthius Tazic in game...say hi to me if you see me ... no one ever does unless they are begging me hehe...But male chars don't get much attention... my mom gets friend offers daily it seems hmmm oh well I'm a loner anyway hehe...

Bubba....we play around 4-5 pm pacific time usually...and all day weekends. Thanks for the offer...I've been playing 1 month and have 1300 swords so I'm pretty sad but I can kill a few things hehe...My psychotropy is up to 500ish on the bright side...almost ready to use my iv nerve chip!

Well I played Ultima Online for about 6 years and had no problems with guild mates scamming me...I had a lot of fun helping them and they helped me...it was just part of the game...I don't care about peds and money and all that it's just about having fun...I don't understand the obsession and talking like this game is just a gamble...

I always felt that if you want to have fun you play this game and just buy what you have to buy and sell what you have to sell. I make decent money mining but lose every cent hunting...so I just balance it out...I love to have fun and work char development.

Anyone can say hi to me...I am shy but will talk hehe.

well yea i had some storage garbage and thought to sell:hides bones molisk tooth paints and such otehr things... i goed to twin to see if anybody buy but that moment nobody buy so i goed to PA saw there a message buying hides molisk.... and otrehr stuff cant remember... i trade her and ut my stuff on the trade and asked teh % ? she told me : soft hide 100% molisk tooth 350% paints=TT -_- NOOB trader trying to scam other noobs :rofl: i laugh and sayed no way your trying to scam and she told: LOL ... and i left nothing else

just what can i say LOL

I still think that paying less then 10 ped per 1k of sweat is robbery. It takes alot of time to gather that sweat and when I go into PA and see ppl advertising they want to buy for .55 and such I just want to smack them LOL

I know the resellers want to buy it that low to make a profit blah blah blah...I feel bad if I pay less then 10ped for 1k of sweat.. maybe thats just me - to me its worth that price as it saves me the time to do it and I can get on with the more enjoyable aspects of the game.

I still think that paying less then 10 ped per 1k of sweat is robbery. It takes alot of time to gather that sweat and when I go into PA and see ppl advertising they want to buy for .55 and such I just want to smack them LOL

I know the resellers want to buy it that low to make a profit blah blah blah...I feel bad if I pay less then 10ped for 1k of sweat.. maybe thats just me - to me its worth that price as it saves me the time to do it and I can get on with the more enjoyable aspects of the game.

Well, I hope I run into you next time I am selling, as it will save me a long time sitting around waiting for someone to pay my price.

I don't sell for less than .65 and often end up going out and mining some Nexus and selling ME. but even that can be tedious.

I agree sweat should be worth at least 10 ped per 1k..it is very hard to get 1k. I spent 5 hours last night sweating north of PA and between the jerks who kept killing my creatures I was sweating and just the lack of success I only ended up with 700. But I keep all mine for ME...fortunately I have some friends who give it to me because I give them other stuff hehe...

But yes if I buy it from someone I'd feel guilty only giving them 6 ped for 1k... But the bright side with sweating is the sheer skill gain from getting hit and sometimes you get decent loot of the junky combibos and daiks...Plus my focus skill raises my psychotropy skill quite nicely for cheap ME.

Want an upgrade buy an amp...

I was confronted with the armor upgrade myself as a noob. So I played along with it sure m8 here let me take my armor off first. I must have tied this dude up for 30 min screwing with him. Stupid question after stupid question that I knew the answer to. Finaly we get to the trade and I put armor in the window and all. Dude is thinking COOL SCORE :yay:. But i knew better thats when I blasted him in all chat and busted him out closed the trade. He logged instantly.

Now I'm more or less STILL a bit of a noob... Been playing irregularly since March and have seen a few scams... known a thief/scammer luckily he was booted from NBK for stealing.lying and scamming.I'll not mention names....
Anyways.. some time ago this summer.. I found my first batch of Basic target Assessment Unit's BTAU's I call them... well a socmate told me the % and I was trying to sell them in open market as I still had no idea about the auction system...and some guy in Argus laughed at my price and said omg girl.. those are almost worthless they are only 3-3.5 peds for the lot... well stupid me.. I realised my mistake in offering at the mistaken % my socmate had given me.. and sold the lot.. 11 of them to the guy for 3.5 peds... thinking oh well.. at least I got something for the worthless things.. little did i know.. it was 3.5 peds EACH!!So I guess I was scammed.. and he felt very good in ripping off a noob.
Best advice..... if you have an item and are unsure of the value.. DON'T take the word of some random buyer on the street.. check the auction prices and get an idea of the value. At least then you won't get scammed with an "oh. that was a mistake on the %value you know..."
If you want to find a good Soc or a decent friend look me up
Koyumi Wildcat Mishima NBK legion
Konichi wa!!!!

To the topic: Allways have a calculator to your side. If you have no idea how to calc with %, go and learn it! Thats somewhat the very basic of EU! More important than any "eco" stats or whatever...

This is sooo true.

And also CONFIDENCE. I hate socmates selling ores to a certain well known reseller. :mad: My friend got 124% deal for 1k belk while it was 133% market.

Thats 60 peds (when you deduct auct fees). :mad: FYI... ppl stand in line to sell to that certain, here unnamed, reseller.

I.

So: you cant loose so much for being new and trust anyone since you DONT have much. If someone in my soc was up to scam me to $5 - oh let him, on his concience. But I think worse than that noob moments is lack of confidence throughout the game when talking about sums of $100, $1000 or more.

I.

I know I should have clarified my problem a bit.. turns out that socmate of mine was more or less right.. but was uncertain about prices... so I took his % with a grain of salt as they say... and then someone took advantage of my noobieness and told me my socmate's % was totally wrong...I do trust my socmates in NBK and if they are unsure of a price on something... that's when I or WE check auction prices now just to confirm. So if you do NOT wish to auction an item... using the auction system will help you in at least setting a market price appropriate to actual value so some street reseller can't scam you very easily.
So always look at that item in the Auctions.. and price yours based on that...

I.E. I recently priced 8 BTAU's (I had 7 to sell) the price was about 15-18 peds depending on the seller... I set mine at 12 peds with a 15 ped buyout. Instant sale at 15 peds.... in street selling I could at least know to ask no less than 12 and expect a decent chance for 15 peds... simple huh?? better than being told "oh.. you have the wrong % it's only worth a couple peds for all that stuff you know." and find yourself ripped off by a reseller who knows it's worth MUCH more than just a couple peds.

Back