SPACE TRAVEL BLUES - "What's the Solution?"

MindStar9

Self-Requested Deactivation
MindStar9
stb-hdr-1.jpg

It’s quite apparent that frustrations can often run high when it comes to space travel. While the initial economic concept was well intended, many agree that it needs revamping, as it no longer serves the community efficiently.

So what is the solution? Any number of viable ideas have been submitted in theory, but will they actually work is the underlying question. Let’s take a look first at the current space flight system and what seems to be the basic issues.

LOGISTICS AND TIME FACTORS

[wrap=left]https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/files/1/1/8/6/pilotsatcnd.jpg[/wrap] First and foremost perhaps is the time factor involved for both pilots and passengers alike. Pilots not only wait for passengers who need flights, but quite often find themselves waiting for long periods of time in line behind other pilots to fill their ships with passengers before they can even entertain taking on their own. This is never more evident than in the Control Room at Club NEVERDIE (CND). (Pilots: Riobabe, Mylcat, EiFund)

In the meantime, passengers often have long waits on planet Calypso in need of flights to both CND and the Crystal Palace (CP) since pilots get stuck at CND waiting for passengers. There doesn’t seem to be the same issue with CP however, as it has its own teleporter that returns you to Port Atlantis on Calypso whenever you’re ready. There is a fee involved (10 ped), but it’s a small fee to pay considering the fact that you don’t have to wait on a pilot for a return flight.

PLENTY OF SHIPS? – OR ADD MORE?

While it is estimated that there are approximately 65-70 hangars with ships, all owners do not offer flight services, but rather utilize the ship for personal reasons, and/or consider it an investment. There are some who own more than one hangar, and while renting them out to others to provide flight services to the community used to be an option, it has since been removed by MindArk, and many hangars sit idle. Investors are often chastised for hoarding hangars as investments, but is it fair to penalize them for being forward thinking?

[wrap=right]https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/files/1/1/8/6/hangar.jpg[/wrap] Recently, a list of hangars and hangar owners was presented by Rayne Jade, and indeed gives the impression that we have plenty of available ships. However, as "Aridash" quickly pointed out, it seems that the list contained not only names of owners who were well-known pilots, but others who were well-known avatars that engaged in other EU activities, and avatar names that were not so familiar that perhaps also engaged in EU activities other than providing flight services to the community. Several suggested adding even more hangars, but then the fear seems to be that investors would snatch those up, and the situation wouldn’t be much different than it is now.

ENOUGH PILOTS?

Some say there are enough pilots, but perhaps there are a few other factors that should be considered that prevent a more efficient system beyond those already mentioned. For instance, pilots are real people behind their avatars with real-life obligations and responsibilities. This too minimizes the amount of time one can spend ingame, not to mention differing time zones that make them less available to people in other parts of the world.

Availability of pilots may give the impression that there aren’t enough available, but some say in addition to this perceived lack of pilots, that poor business practice is also to blame. Specifically, that pilots should be amenable to flying with only 2-3 passengers from CND to the planet once in a while instead of waiting for a full ship; especially when there are others waiting on Calypso to get a flight up to either CND or CP, but is this fair to the pilots?

PRICING

Pricing also tends to raise heated discussions at times, and pilots often become targets for criticism, not to mention verbal abuse, but it’s not only pilots with higher prices. Those in competition with lower prices often feel the wrath of higher-priced pilots and are accused of stealing passengers. However, just as in real life, there is virtual competition to acquire and build a customer base, and despite the competitive challenges, it seems that the community for the most part finds its comfort level and a pilot with a price they’re willing to pay when flying, but it’s the availability of pilots that still seems to be an issue.

Space travel glitches are primarily associated with travel to and from CND. While establishing and maintaining a flight service may seem relatively effortless, the above-mentioned factors can render it rather challenging. However, the community is not short on ideas or potential solutions, so let’s take a look at some of these offerings and see what might work more than just in theory.

JUST THEORY, OR SOMETHING PLAUSIBLE

First, the suggestion was made to install a teleporter at CND as a return option to Calypso, the same as available at CP, but would this really benefit all concerned? What about free enterprise, and the opportunity to build a business? Conceivably, people may fly more to the asteroid, and thereby increase its population, which is a good thing for ND. In fact, the question was actually posed to ND as to whether or not he was “concerned that an event at CND may be less profitable (successful) based on the availability of pilots” but I am uncertain as to whether this question was ever addressed openly. If anything, Champions League is surely a testament to the success of major events developed and promoted at CND, but would a return teleporter really make it better overall?

[wrap=left]https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/files/1/1/8/6/votingboothtwinpeaks.jpg[/wrap] Another seemingly well thought out plan of operation involves some sort of terminal, like the voting booths on Calypso where pilots can create a flight event. Passengers would then register for a specific flight, and at the appropriate time, make their way to the pilot’s hangar to board and fly to their destination. Seems simple enough, and perhaps something MA would be able to implement without much challenge.

Then there’s “DrDoom” who says MA could solve this rather quickly by giving skills to the pilots for flying, and the more skills they have, the less decay, or less oil consumed by the ship. This way, the regular pilots are getting rewarded since they earn a little more due to the lower cost of flying. Seems a viable alternative that might motivate others to be more active in offering flight services, but again, the one factor that always comes to mind is the fact that pilots have real life obligations that prevent them from being as active as they would perhaps like to be. However, maybe an approach such as this would inspire others to become pilots and offer the service, and thereby not only have more services available, but maybe even cover more time zones.

[wrap=right]https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/files/1/1/8/6/hangarestateterminal.jpg[/wrap] Of course “Einstein,” who most certainly must hail from the DNA lineage of the brilliant one whose problem-solving skills excel, gives us yet another option in the way of altering the hangar estate terminal to function as an event terminal. This would in turn offer flight tickets with date and time of lift-off, and thereby, no pilot would be needed. Sounds like a system that might work, but then will the inflight movie and beverage service be automated as well? Oops, we don’t have those right now, so nevermind. It’s still another offering to give consideration to that might have merit, but then there are those who say, why should pilots earn PED while they sleep, and how does the return flight work?

I suppose the bottom line is, there’s no way to get to CND or CP without a pilot. There are any number of issues that make the current system of space travel inconvenient and often frustrating. While many suggestions have been offered up, the key element in all of this is MA’s involvement. However, with the expansion of space on the horizon, it is very clear that attention needs to be given to our space travel, but I think MA already has this on the drawing board, and that zoning into the next dimension will bring with it perhaps an elevated and more sophisticated mode of transportation that will take care of the needs of the community, but …

The question remains … will we ever achieve a level of quantum teleportation?

After Marco's most recent promotion to CEO of First Planet Company, and his plans to focus on "Plant Calypso" ... advancement requires a little bit of beta testing, so perhaps with regard to space travel, this is what it might look like in the interim ...

PRE-CE2

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiSBRjyE2Yg[/YOUTUBE]

POST-CE2

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMIXxQ4_guI&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

Graphic Header Design by: Globex Designs, Inc.

Last edited:
Post deleted

Last edited:
Your suggestion would work DC, but ... many are not ingame with "3 friends" at all times, and I know for myself, that this has been the case. There are times when spontaneous decisions are made to travel, either to CND or CP, and as a result of IRL demands, it's not always feasible to do some of the things we want or need to do just when friends or socmates are ingame. Therefore, it does present a challenge with regard to some of our travel needs.

However ... I do make the effort to check in with others to see if they might have plans for travel, and if so, then try to coordinate a flight, but if not, then I find myself hiring a ship for a VIP flight, and often invite others along for a free ride if they're interested. It would be nice if other options were available so that it wasn't so costly, but then it's a personal choice, and for now, I will deal with it the best I can.

Since we have revival terminals that "reconstruct" us, could it be credible that a ship could just 'carry that info' to its destination? Buy a ticket from the pilot, or auction, or at the hangar estate terminal, and expect a departure time? Add decay perhaps per extra data of ava's carried, so that going live might be cheaper (for the pilot at any rate)? Also, departure time might be unexpected for the person not present at the time of departure, insta death when holding a ticket for the flight that takes off (to be revived at the ships final destination) ;)

I have never left Calypso so please take this with a grain of salt :D

The hangar thing has been messy for so long anyway ... 25 peds a seat is already a rip off and why ? Because some crazy people buy these hangars 200k peds when it's only worth like 30k.

I used to be a pilot, and I was doing quite fine actually thanks to my network. However I realised that it became a real work and that I would make more money working for MC Donald ... So I stoped !

Solutions ?

=> cheaper way up or way down when ship is empty to equilibrate the pilots ratio and avoid 6 pilots being stuck on CND.

=> reservation system implemented by MA (you pay for a seat at the terminal and a message warns you when ship is full and ready to leave, you have 10mn to board on the ship etc.)

I look forward to the single 'Cant Find a Spaceship Blues' on ND's next album.

I don't know what the solution is but the current system sure sucks. Perhaps an automated system can be implemented that ship owners subscribe to or something with a central ticket office. Maybe an alternative that costs more than a standard flight that people can use when desperate. The problem is, almost any change will cause all the hangar owners to be up in arms.. the ironic thing is.. the main problem is that most hangar owners dont actually use them at all.

What about a pay tp that operates one-way between CND and Calypso and owned jointly by all hangar owners?

All revenues would be automatically shared by hangar owners (maybe MindArk takes a small cut I guess) and distributed automatically by MindArk in the same manner as land area tax, eg daily, weekly or monthly.

Maybe also a pay tp between CND and CP, that direction only, again with revenues being automatically distributed to hangar owners.

This would result in a lot more people visiting CND I'm pretty sure and there would still be flight business for active pilots on the Calypso-CND and Calypso-CP routes which wouldn't have a tp travel option.

There's probably a good reason why this won't work as I'm sure someone will point out in this thread. ;)

Edit: instead of a pay tp could make it a bit different and use a 'pay auto-shuttle' that gives some kind of feeling of space travel.

There would be lots of these shuttles near the hangar areas and maybe a price of around 25 peds to Calypso and 20 peds to CP giving pilots an opportunity to undercut the shuttles whilst at the same time providing and instant journey option(s) from CND for those prepared to pay for this option.

Last edited:
Good to see you o the front page MS9!

My suggested solution - impliment a simple secure lending system for hangers only (so wont affect the banks) so the investors can rent out while they wait for the value to go up and get an income while they wait...

Cant be that hard to do - maybe Marco can fix this now he is in charge of the planet ;)

Then there’s “DrDoom” who says MA could solve this rather quickly by giving skills to the pilots for flying, and the more skills they have, the less decay, or less oil consumed by the ship. This way, the regular pilots are getting rewarded since they earn a little more due to the lower cost of flying. Seems a viable alternative that might motivate others to be more active in offering flight services, but again, the one factor that always comes to mind is the fact that pilots have real life obligations that prevent them from being as active as they would perhaps like to be. However, maybe an approach such as this would inspire others to become pilots and offer the service, and thereby not only have more services available, but maybe even cover more time zones.

Very good post Mindstar just like to pick up on this part.......

What ever happens I dont think people need inspired to become pilots, I think cost of becoming a pilot is the problem and this is resulting in less and less people doing it.

Pre 9.0 I was a retal pilot and lost out due to new system, Hanger owner only knew me 2 months so was not prepared to give me the hanger dead worth at that time $10,000.... So me and my brother spoke and agree'd to take out a bank loan to buy a hanger knowning that we could make money to pay off the loan while hoping that the hanger price would rise making this a good investment.

Went to bank agree'd on amounts etc and said we'd be back next day to get things signed and money released, by the time we took to chat go to bank get things settled (all of 5 days from 9.0) the price of hangers jumped $1,000. We decided not to take out anything and whats happened since the price of hangers has went to $20,000 :scratch2:.

Seriously if you have the money dont play the lottery, dont buy a house, dont buy a car, just buy a MOD FAP, a MOD Merc & a Hanger...... 1yr from purchase date your gonna DOUBLE your MONEY easy!

I look forward to the single 'Cant Find a Spaceship Blues' on ND's next album.

I don't know what the solution is but the current system sure sucks. Perhaps an automated system can be implemented that ship owners subscribe to or something with a central ticket office. Maybe an alternative that costs more than a standard flight that people can use when desperate. The problem is, almost any change will cause all the hangar owners to be up in arms.. the ironic thing is.. the main problem is that most hangar owners dont actually use them at all.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: ... a 5-star laugh ... but in a good way with regard to ND's (possible) next single ... that was quite creative. :silly2:

Whatever the change is ... I don't think MA (or Marco) would forsake the hangar owners, but somehow incorporate this operation into a new system that is (hopefully) far more efficient than the one we currently have. I have to believe that investment in hangars for this long would be for naught, and that consideration would be given to such. I guess we'll see what they have up their virtual sleeve when the time comes.

... but then there are those who say, why should pilots earn PED while they sleep, ...
And I say to them; don't owners of land areas earn ped while they sleep? Why not owners of hangers as well?

Hmm..why not pay decay based on the amount of passengers you carried...the ship would be ~10-15 ped and after that ~10-15 ped/passenger ??

Everyone here is addressing the problem of both way space travel. Something that would make both way easier for pilots.

The bigger problem that MindStar9 pointed out is the one, where the pilots can't come down, to get passenger's on calypso.
For example: Weekend comes, and people want to go up to CND, for the weekend. The usual rush is Friday and Saturday, to go up. After the weekend, most come down, so the usual rush is on Sunday or even Monday.

Problem:
Unbalance of goods travel (in this case passengers)

So to solve that problem, we need to create something that would balance out goods'(in this case passengers) travel, at any given time.

2 Obvious Statements relating to the problem above:

1. Now we can't just create passengers out of thin air, so they can fill the ships for the way going down or up.
  2. Ships cant carry any other good, but passengers
I hope at this point you see where its not so hard to adjust the current method, to solve the problem.

If the ship could hold items, even a limited amount/weight*, then we would have another good that could help pilots make money while going back down to calypso as well as up to CND.

Since the amount of items isn't fixed**, then a balance based on price could be created here.

*(Obviously much more then 200kg or 200 items)
**(Fixed meaning: If 4 go up, 4 must come down)

And I say to them; don't owners of land areas earn ped while they sleep? Why not owners of hangers as well?

You have a point ... and you must know by now that I'm rather calculated in how I write my articles. ;) ... ok, if you need more info ... it's to get people thinking critically about the hot topics of our virtual environment, because there's no doubt that we have innovative and creative people in our colony IN the trenches and experiencing it all ... and who better to come from a perspective of knowing what's working and what isn't than our own seasoned citizens of Calypso. Besides ... I enjoy the privilege of having the opportunity to have my own perspectives expanded ... even at times to the point of being persuaded to think differently because an idea or concept was just that powerful.

And speaking of power ... it has always been my hope that the powers that be in the bat cave, rise to the occasion (any occasion), and entertain some of the brilliance that this community offers up quite consistently. :D

At any rate ... Rayne Jade's thread that I linked in this article presents numerous suggestions for various changes in our space travel, as I'm sure this thread will possess. We can only hope at this point, that with Marco indicating that his new position comes with more focus on Calypso, that our space travel will most certainly be a priority. :wtg: The (not so) purple whip may be frayed, but it functions quite nicely thank you. :whip:

Sausages

ssf2.jpg

Well We need to make Space Flight not only faster & cheaper but also more fun....

I suggest - We scrap the Space seats and have a giant Sausage....

So basically - the ship takes off and it pulls a giant Sausage behind it:

The sausage can carry up to 8 people and depending on your 'Hold onto the Sausage Skills' or Sausage points - which you gain each time you fly - you either are able to hold onto the sausage or fall back down thus having to get a ride on the next sausage.....

What you think - it be fun - just like those banana boat things you ride on In benidorm Spain.

What you think.....

homepage_1.jpg

MF.

Last edited:
The investors pushing up the prices over the top are the problem. No "usual" player can afford a hangar anymore or at least, due little income, it would take too much time to pay off. If they would fair priced, what at actual market (around 15.000 "active" players in last 6 months) would be around 25-35k I think, I would buy one and offer flight services, even for little income. But how many people are ingame at the same time? Maybe 2000, 3000, on frequent saturdays maybe 5000. And they are not travelling up and down all the time, so therefore are far too less posible clients for, how much you said, 90 (?) hangars.

Imagine there would be 50 active pilots instead of 7 how it actually is, and they already ofte have to wait kinda long time to get their ship full, but on the other hand, somehow, it seems that 6 of these pilots are from quite the same time zone, and so, for passengers getting a flight at "unusual" times can be kinda painful. The problem, currently, is actually not the situation of having too few pilots or too few passengers, but that the pilots mostly are online at same time.

To give an example, last week, I was on CND and not able to catch a pilot down (at a not that frequent time, but also not at 3am), then I logged off where I would have played 2 more hours and watched TV instead. I relogged the next morning and 6 unemployed pilots where there with 3 clients. If it would have been one or two pilots it wouldn't have been that hard for them to fill their ships, but what does th 5. or 6. pilot in line does ? Wait 4 hours till the line drops to him ?

I think at actual playerbase 10 pilots "working" in groups of two or three, depending on time, would be enough, but the main problem is that sometimes there is no pilot, what make the passengers wait, and then, some hours later there are 6 pilots have to wait.

Now let's say a hangar would be priced around 35k, what would happen? -there would be quite more "society" hangars ingame and maybe, the whole situation would get better balanced again, just because when a soc has a hangar, there wouldn't be much aiming for profit on their's side, because it's soc-intern and passenger / pilot communication to find together would work better too. And that's what the hangar concept seems to be made for, for private (society) instead for business (service) flights. The problem is that the community, with pushing the price of hangars changed a system that was meant to be for societies to pure business and investions, means, it isn't MA's fault, it's our own fault what we changed the system. That doesn't mean that it's the current pilots fault, but the investors, holding the hangars for more and more profit or selling at sky high prices. It's a spiral going on until the system collapses, then prices will fall down again, maybe then the system changes back to what it originally was meant for and we can space travel, as it was meant, again. Of course it is good to have some business pilots, especially for the societies that have no hangar then and / or freelancers, but actually you're meant to be a business pilot as soon as you buy a hangar and also want to use it, and that leaves the lack in the system.

Post deleted.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried a charter service? With a fee based on how quickly you want up to where you are going. One price for the whole ship. cheaper price if you set it up a few days in advanced more if you want to leave within the hour.

What do you all think?

Yes - its the Fun factor I was meaning

I think you need to be medicated! :silly2:

But the idea is we need it to be more fun and entertaining as well as faster & cheaper - that was my point - the sausage idea i like - but that's just an example - we need a movie ect -

I have never taken medication in my life apart from a short spell in a private hospital for slightly insane - but that's another story

back on- Topic please

Mf.

Nice to see you MindStar9 :)

Very nice article and it sure is something that needs to change, Marco gotta do something about it :D

Less tp's = more destinations.

Think the main problem is cost to maintain the ship. They have to charge a certain amount. If you look at the full tt on the old armors and weapons, its a bit high for the amount of loot you get back, no? Just saying the ships (and old items in general) were made it work with the old loot balance, which just no longer exists. :twocents:

great post btw.

Best way to solve the problem imo is to lose the pilot line and make it a free for all.

this making the pilot with the best price gets all the trade. Less ped for him in a day... maybe not. the lowered prices and almost no waiting times the cheaper pilots could make a lot more round trips per day making it pretty much the same i would think.

one of the con's i can see tho is that CND could become less exclusive with super low tickets...

just my 2 pecs,

Its really un believeable MA can't work out a system for Hangar Owners to rent/lease the hangars to pilots.

Maybe a re-coding of how the hangars work where a player could fly for hire or rent timeslots paying the hangar owner or maybe a profit sharing arrangement for the hired pilots.

It just seems really badly implemented. Sorta silly that a virtual world can't be coded to allow the hangar owners to make a profit providing a travel service, that is not so costly on the players who need the service to travel.

Dex :cool:

P.S. Excellent Story M.S. (as always!)

There is only 1 thing that works when the pilots are gone,

That is: John lee Hooker in your speakers + a sprankle of J. Cash + a glass of red wine (a deep red pino 2005 by preference).. and wait... and wait... and sip your wine baby.. and feel John Lee's vibe and sip.. and wait ;)

cheerio

;)

Reactions: Ozi
Its really un believeable MA can't work out a system for Hangar Owners to rent/lease the hangars to pilots.

Maybe a re-coding of how the hangars work where a player could fly for hire or rent timeslots paying the hangar owner or maybe a profit sharing arrangement for the hired pilots.

It just seems really badly implemented. Sorta silly that a virtual world can't be coded to allow the hangar owners to make a profit providing a travel service, that is not so costly on the players who need the service to travel.

Dex :cool:

P.S. Excellent Story M.S. (as always!)

Well ... I don't think it's a situation of can't work it out, as much as it is when to work it out (now anyway), and then, renting or leasing may not be the way to go, even though it would seem perhaps a good option given that there are investors with more than one hangar.

I don't know about anyone else ... but I'm kind of in a renewed "EU State of Mind" today after Marco's announcement of him becoming CEO of First Planet Company. His open and multiple interactive posts in response to questions has done much (IMO) toward endearing him more to the community, although I'm sure many of us still remain on standby to see exactly where this is all heading. I must say though, that according to what Marco has shared thus far, we really do have much to look forward to.

Now ... whether this has anything to do with improvements regarding our current flight system, I would think that it would at least be a consideration, and perhaps even a priority given that Calypso seems central to travel not only to CND and CP, but certainly elsewhere as space opens up. If pilot availability doesn't become more amenable to our space travel needs (if that's the route we retain), then I might find myself hiring a private pilot, much like a chauffeur IRL in order to carry my purple ass into the outer reaches of our universe. :D Besides ... I wanna see me some pirates, and just what they're going to bring in the way of booty ... or is that bounty? :scratch2: I get confused at times! :silly2:

what about a bot with a fixed sched? And the advantage of the pilots is that they have more flexible scheds

that way there's a demand everywhere (ideally) and the pilots have to bargain with the npc's price in order to win passengers

First of all, great article MS9, very interesting.

Second of all, I have always wondered why there aren't more more spots to get pilots, this would stop the pilot line up. For example have one pilot selling flights in the control room and and another selling them at a different tp on CND and the same thing on Calypso. I know u still need to have enough people filling flights for both of them but it would eliminate a problem which has happened to myself and a soc mate where a pilot is selling flights at a higher rate than most other pilots (which is their choice and I have no problem with, free enterprise and all) so i buy a ticket and wait, but everyone else decides to wait for a cheaper flight. This leaves me waiting for hours because this pilot won't leave till they have a full flight and everyone is waiting for the pilot behind them. End result I have to do an expensive vip flight just to get down.

I do like the ticket from the estate terminal Idea too.

I don't know about anyone else ... but I'm kind of in a renewed "EU State of Mind" today after Marco's announcement of him becoming CEO of First Planet Company. His open and multiple interactive posts in response to questions has done much (IMO) toward endearing him more to the community

Actions speak louder than words my great purple mate :)

But looking interesting so far.

Oh, and as for hangars?? Who knows, I aint flown in ages.

Post deleted

Just as an FYI Hon ... threads I create in my personal subforum get a reasonable amount of viewing as well (just check), so it really doesn't matter too much that this article is on the Front Page. I gave 711 an option of moving the article to the Front Page since requests were popping up again with regard to changing what's there with something new. Apparently, 711 felt this article worthy enough for the Front Page and moved it from my subforum, as I have no means of doing so myself.

As a sidenote ... I wish you would have left the content of your post, because it was absolutely welcome and viable to the discussion, but I will respect the fact that you feel more comfortable with it removed. ;)

Back