Info: How to repair Entropia Universe when a VU breaks!

I have downloaded every VU 10 and higher updates direct from MA and none have taken more then 20 minutes with no problems in the install.

I think you people got too much extra shit in yer machines running interference. Turn off them web accelerators and let the system do its thing. you will get in far faster not haveing to download it more then once.

As for the back up thats a great Idea, specially for when my new system comes in I can just copy EU folder to jump drive and copy in new system.

gettin exciteed now..

asus p6t MB,
12 gig ddr3 triple channel mem
Core i7 920 proc
ATI 5770 vid card with 1 gig ddr5 (MB can run 3 of these in future)
Debating whether to get the Vuzix vr920 Glasses since the company that makes them is 25 minute drive from here or just get that 52 inch flatscreen to use as a monitor.

Should be here before the first of the month I hope.

So what do I do if I think it, and your pushing it all the time is actually stopping people from helping to get a better solution made, like I offered here: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174660

Your solution is also valid, I admire the usefulness, but I don't see why it's better. For once, this solution requires 0 software to be used, and to repair, you need to download just a patch, not all the game files.

The point is, some people pay alot of money for internet traffic, and have terrible speeds, so if the game breaks, they need to take it all over again from scratch.

And sorry for pushing it, but every day someone fuxxors their install, and ends up with a broken game. I don't want that to happen, you may also bump your topic, since the last message is from 12-25-2009, 15:44

Your right, I got this confused with the bittorent one. A solution that does not use any software is a good option to present to people.

Also just a bit frustrated with this stuff at times I think.

Your right, I got this confused with the bittorent one. A solution that does not use any software is a good option to present to people.

Also just a bit frustrated with this stuff at times I think.

I'm only blabbing about it, because in December 2009, my EU broke 5 times... first 2 times I took the full game... unable to find a fresh backup, then I did a fresh backup so I managed to reduce my VU downtime from 5 hours to just 15 minutes. I now see this happening to potentially anyone, it does not depend on what computers or software people might have installed...

As for the bittorrent, the problem with it is that the files are fixed in time. You can't upgrade a torrent, you need a new one. The good part is, you can donwload only the broken files if needed.

At this moment, there are 10 seeds on the VU 6.3 torrent, and 2 people are downloading it. We are at VU 6.6 now, right? After they download it, they will have to patch it, which makes the seeding stop since the files will change.

The thread title should be changed because it is a little misleading as it is now.
Fact is, if you haven't read this thread before getting corrupted files, the info herein will not help you at all. Having experienced file corruption more than once myself, I do think the suggestion is quite valid and can save people lots of time and frustration.

Maybe the title should be Preventing EU patch corruption?

The thread title should be changed because it is a little misleading as it is now.
Fact is, if you haven't read this thread before getting corrupted files, the info herein will not help you at all. Having experienced file corruption more than once myself, I do think the suggestion is quite valid and can save people lots of time and frustration.

I agree. I came here after my friend's install got corrupted and realized that it was too late. He had to re-install. Fortunately the servers were being nice and it only took him 45ish minutes instead of the 3 hours it took the first time.

I agree. I came here after my friend's install got corrupted and realized that it was too late. He had to re-install. Fortunately the servers were being nice and it only took him 45ish minutes instead of the 3 hours it took the first time.
I consider it to be "tough" learning. Nobody will ever come here to see this, before their EU breaks. They come here thinking this is a solution. Now, consider having a thread about a specific problem that nobody cares about until it happens... how would that be useful?

As I explained in the second post, it is part of the process of repairing your EU when a VU breaks (in the future ;) )

You may inquire the moderators to change the topic title if you consider it to be misleading, I prefer it to remain like this. If there is room for improvement, I urge you to open your own threads and promote this safety behavior, I won't mind.

Last edited:
Backing it up just now :D

To get this kind of problems is when you not have patience and just hit cancel on the update loader when windows tell you its not responding.

Just wait and be patience when it happens and you wont need to be afraid for anything.

Not only when you do that, Aframo.

I didn't cancel the patch and I still got the error that it hasn't downloaded properly. :duh:

waiting on the re-install right now ... :whistle:

To get this kind of problems is when you not have patience and just hit cancel on the update loader when windows tell you its not responding.

Just wait and be patience when it happens and you wont need to be afraid for anything.

Agreed -- even if the Patcher progress window has gone blank and the title-bar says "Not Responding", leave it be! Even if the task manager or process list shows the vpatch.exe almost idle, leave it be!
Waiting 15 or 20 minutes on the seemingly stalled patcher is still less frustrating than having to re-install!!

Or a power glitch, windows crashes, or the harddrive gets filled up, or a cosmic ray hits your non ecc ram etc etc.....

Not only when you do that, Aframo.

I didn't cancel the patch and I still got the error that it hasn't downloaded properly. :duh:

waiting on the re-install right now ... :whistle:

Still wonder why people choose to reinstall instead of fixing the broken parts.

if those people knew what parts were broken and/or how to fix said broken parts without a chance of fuckin' something up beyond repair ... they probably would.

otherwise - we redownload. ;)

96% done reinstalling and will take a copy of the file to my external 'book' storage device now, mr proper. :thumbup:

if those people knew what parts were broken and/or how to fix said broken parts without a chance of fuckin' something up beyond repair ... they probably would.

otherwise - we redownload. ;)

96% done reinstalling and will take a copy of the file to my external 'book' storage device now, mr proper. :thumbup:

And if people with a broken install would actually volunteer to help me test and finish the repair scripts they would be able to by now ..

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/technical/174660-client-installation-repair-utility.html

And if people with a broken install would actually volunteer to help me test and finish the repair scripts the would be able to ..

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/technical/174660-client-installation-repair-utility.html

well if people knew about your testing and they knew about it BEFORE they had an error; plus had the time and the trust to sign up for and then install the things you suggest in your thread ... I'm sure they would love to help.

I, however, did not.

re-install is 100% done and I will just keep a back-up copy, for the future.

:wave:

well if people knew about your testing and they knew about it BEFORE they had an error; plus had the time and the trust to sign up for and then install the things you suggest in your thread ... I'm sure they would love to help.

I, however, did not.

re-install is 100% done and I will just keep a back-up copy, for the future.

:wave:

And yet links exist to it in this very thread, a method is explained in the thread that requires no installations of things as well, and what things are
not trusted would be good feedback to help establish the trust.

Like I said in the first post of this exchange, I find it odd how many pick to reinstall instead of helping create a better method once and for all. seems you help prove the case, that creating a utility to aid the bad patch repair is not worthwhile.

btw, everything I mentioned has a much better security record then flash

Last edited:
If I'm to understand correctly, after my SFV-thread and suggestion MA on how to implement a patch-fixer which they only implemented half-way with the "Validate Installation" client-loader option, you took it all the way?

Thanks for the link, I had stopped playing from mid August till end of November so had missed that thread. I had not seen anyone working on it, and it seemed an obvious need, but yeah, it basically is what you talk about in that post.

Very good method to save some headaches :thumbup:.

Mr. Proper... I would also add what Trina said earlier: DO NOT install all kinds of crap (unlicensed or otherwise) on the PC you play EU! It's very important if you don't want to have issues.

I'm not implying that everyone with EU problems is using "shady" software; I'm just saying that along with the Backup scheme, it might be your next best way to keep things running.

Yeah, basically don't reboot, don't close the patcher, and pray that it will complete correctly. If not, you can always get your handy backup and start updating again.

I still wonder why people read this after they have the broken parts :)

But yeah, to fix the broken part you need extra software, one way or another...

A bump for that one, MrP. Just had my whole comp freeze on patching.

Now where's that thumbdrive, i need it for the backup i will do in 4 hrs... :mad:

I believe this thread is obsolete now, am I correct?

Back