FYI: CryEngine on vm...

mrproper

Forum Beaver
Society
Entropia Directory
Andone mrproper Andrei

Video card on the approved list?! :scratch2:

Shadows are messed up, but everything works rather ok, including teleporter and water effects...

Last edited:
Interesting, did not know you could run it in a VM

Interesting, did not know you could run it in a VM
It was very easy before VU 10. But with CryEngine 2, and the majority of virtualization packages without DX9 support, there was a short break..

Oh, man. The graphics look so much better than when I play on my machine without a VM.

:(:(:(

why are you wanting to run eu in a vm? the latest Vmware workstation supports directx hardware vrtualisation.

why are you wanting to run eu in a vm? the latest Vmware workstation supports directx hardware vrtualisation.

because am a linux person.:) so only to have a complete windows computer or dualboot for one game is no fun. This way you can multitask on one computer.

Taking the vm is ofc fast

i run it wiht parallels

because am a linux person.:) so only to have a complete windows computer or dualboot for one game is no fun. This way you can multitask on one computer.

Ahh well that does make sense :)

Oh, man. The graphics look so much better than when I play on my machine without a VM.

:(:(:(
Please check the picture, do you have that green check mark next to your video card?

care to share which vm package ?
Yes, please, what vm are you running???
Please check the picture, it's the new VMWare Workstation 7.0.

From crude estimates, the DirectX performance is about 20% that of the host. I can run some Futuremarks to see a direct comparison. Exposed video card design features 128mb of ram, the shaders will start to crap out if you try to use almost all High Settings.

Could the same be done in VirtualBox?
Not yet. VirtualBox prefers OpenGL so far, and DX support has gotten worse in 3.1 compared to 3.0.

Also, VMWare can run Aero on Windows7 while VirtualBox can't. Including in Unity mode (or Seamless for VB).

Please check the picture, do you have that green check mark next to your video card?

No, I don't :(. But I don't think that it's a good idea to install VMware just for the graphics. I guess that the "performance" would go down even more with that...

I can distinguish mountains from lakes with my setup :thumbup:. That's pretty much all I can ask from my good ol' Radeon 9800 Pro.

But it's good to know that this is an alternative to a native Window installation.

Could the same be done in VirtualBox?

Microsoft Virtual PC & Sun VirtualBox both do not work with Entropia VU10.

^^ Tested both today - Direct3D device not properly supported

I managed to get my hands on VMWare Workstation 7 today so I am about to give that a burl. I see its already working above so that is probably the best bet if your willing to fork out a little for it.

On a mission to consolidate PCs, electricity where I am located in NSW is due to rise by 60% :(

1,500 a quarter as it is already without the rise :/

LINK > http://www.australianclimatemadness.com/?p=3464

Last edited:
Latest Entropia in Windows Sun VB

A picture speaks a thousand words.

Limitation is only in your imagination.

cheer;

dandy

The lastest Sun VirtualBox did not work for me unfortunately.

It spat the dummy when I requested it to run 1440 x 900 or higher.

No issues with VMWare Workstartion 7.0.1 though ;)

Runs beautifully - Medium & High.

I set it to low @ 1440 x 900 in full screen since this machine spec is not fantastic.

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

I can now finally justify that new i7 core with 256Gb solid state HDDs and 24Gb memory and do away with these other machines :D

Im confused.. what is the point of running eu from a vm on an OS that can already run EU? Wouldn't the point to be getting it running in linux or something?

please enlighten me,

narfi

Im confused.. what is the point of running eu from a vm on an OS that can already run EU? Wouldn't the point to be getting it running in linux or something?

please enlighten me,

narfi

The point is that you may actually be able PLAY entropia, with VU 10 all computers with IntelChipset GFX got screwed totally.

Now off to test this on my old laptop :yay:
It might be able to fulfill it's destiny as a mining computer again.

please enlighten me,

narfi

For me it is more of a security thing.

I run RCE on a different machine to normal games which is different again to my banking & asset management system, so now I can put all 3 machines together as virtual machines running in their own protected space.

That is already 750W x 3 reduced to 1000W x 1 just in PSU power.

On a mission to consolidate PCs, electricity where I am located in NSW is due to rise by 60% :(

1,500 a quarter as it is already without the rise :/

LINK > http://www.australianclimatemadness.com/?p=3464

Running Windows 7 32-Bit in the guests and Windows 7 64-Bit as the host is sweet also with easy network sharing functionality and all the rest of the common features between the host & guest OS.

Last edited:
Well.. good luck with frame rate on the actual hardware. :)

Well.. good luck with frame rate on the actual hardware. :)

It is actually not too bad, I am only running that on a Nvidia 7900 GS atm with not too much degredation, hence the low setting @ 1440 x 900.

The new machine will likely have the new 300 series Nvidia card in it so I can't see it being too much hassle.

For big competitions and events I could not see an issue with running EU directly from the host when required.

The new machine will likely have the new 300 series Nvidia card in it so I can't see it being too much hassle.

300 serie is rebranding, the 400 serie contains the really new GPU

FYI ;)

300 serie is rebranding, the 400 serie contains the really new GPU

FYI ;)

Awesome, 400 series it is then :)

Also the other good thing I forgot to mention is that I will be able to compose any VM Session into a thin client session.

Meaning using the destop PC to run the game itself and the porting the session over wireless network to any old laptop that supports SVGA.

Since the laptop is only acting as the client, it doesn't need the spec to run CE2.
Actually the spec of the laptop can be so low that it would only need to run a standard DVD movie well to be perfect for running Entropia over thin-networking.

LINK > http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/3214/1d/www.zones.com/images/pdf/vmware_view4_ds.pdf

Good for playing EU in bed when the rest of the family is asleep, tee hee.

please enlighten me,

narfi
BECAUSE WE CAN!

You may want to run EU hidden on a PC (so nobody can find out you play EU).
You may want to run EU where you are able to run VMs, but can't install software.
You may want to run EU on a computer that is not using Windows (like OSX, Linux).
You may want to run several EU clients at once, like 2 clients, 3... 4... 5? :ahh:
You may taste the future...

There was a reason where you could remote desktop into a VM to run EU, but now Windows 7 offers some kind of hybrid 3D support, where you can run 3D games overt TS RDP.

There was a reason where you could remote desktop into a VM to run EU, but now Windows 7 offers some kind of hybrid 3D support, where you can run 3D games overt TS RDP.

I have not got that to work properly yet :(

I may just stick to VMWare. Lots ot play with in that. :)

You forgot to mention its also handy to run Linux/BSD/Unix on Windows platforms too. It is always fun to play around with linux every now and again.

You forgot to mention its also handy to run Linux/BSD/Unix on Windows platforms too. It is always fun to play around with linux every now and again.

You may want to run EU on a computer that is not using Windows (like OSX, Linux).

I didn't :)

About the remote desktop protocol, I can play EU on my low-powered laptop, sitting in bed, connected to my desktop...

Back