New Community Manager

Status
So, what does she do as Community Manager? Telling about our frustrations to FPC and MA? If I were Marco, I would be very much interested to chat with an old player. What are her experiences and such...

But then I remember...did Skam really play the GAME? or did she log in just to buy new clothes? :D

truth or not?

So, what does she do as Community Manager? Telling about our frustrations to FPC and MA? If I were Marco, I would be very much interested to chat with an old player. What are her experiences and such...

But then I remember...did Skam really play the GAME? or did she log in just to buy new clothes? :D

truth or not?

What a load of bollocks..............

She hinted in previous posts she`s involved in storyline creation for missions n such. Usually lots of companies use the employees for many positions to get more bang for buck. I won`t be surprised if she has to handle 3-4 totally different assignments.

IF that is the case then FPC really needs to get a grip on what communitymanagement actually means. Communitymanager means an almost 24/7 job. And hanne this is absolutely not against you, but that community management needs to be improved. We hardly see you here. A community manager needs to be seen and that a lot. So please forward to marco as i guess he is your boss now that you need to spend a LOT more time communitymanaging ie posting on the board, doing blogposts etc etc.

Take up stuff posted on here and turn it into an article etc. A good example would be all the whining about the lootbalance lately. Pick up on what's posted in the forum, turn that into an article that would explain and let us users know why the balance is as it is or such and so on.

IF that is the case then FPC really needs to get a grip on what communitymanagement actually means. Communitymanager means an almost 24/7 job. And hanne this is absolutely not against you, but that community management needs to be improved. We hardly see you here. A community manager needs to be seen and that a lot. So please forward to marco as i guess he is your boss now that you need to spend a LOT more time communitymanaging ie posting on the board, doing blogposts etc etc.

Take up stuff posted on here and turn it into an article etc. A good example would be all the whining about the lootbalance lately. Pick up on what's posted in the forum, turn that into an article that would explain and let us users know why the balance is as it is or such and so on.

Im pretty sure she has access to the approved cut and paste answers that all MA / FPC employees do. I think she is so scarce because of this. They do not want real answers out in public because

1. It would probably prove how sinister they really are.
2. If they arent as sinister as some of us think, some of us would twist their words to that extent anyway.
3. Standard policy there is do first, make excuses later if the resistance gets to heavy. No pre release of anything. PERIOD.
4. It is more then likely the way things get done there is actually no news to put out as they do shit spur of the moment.. EG. hey after vacation lets throw vehicles out to the pubic this week.

Im pretty sure she has access to the approved cut and paste answers that all MA / FPC employees do. I think she is so scarce because of this. They do not want real answers out in public because

1. It would probably prove how sinister they really are.
2. If they arent as sinister as some of us think, some of us would twist their words to that extent anyway.
3. Standard policy there is do first, make excuses later if the resistance gets to heavy. No pre release of anything. PERIOD.
4. It is more then likely the way things get done there is actually no news to put out as they do shit spur of the moment.. EG. hey after vacation lets throw vehicles out to the pubic this week.

hehe i sort of can agree with you, atleast partially.
And a bit OT, i'm a game designer newly educated.. i would very much want a job (if i wasnt gonna start my own firm that is) but hell i would NOT want to work for MA or FPC (althogh fpc might be a change for the better though as my main experience is with old MA) purely due to the fact of my previous experience there as an intern and how they run their game and development. I do have to say that most of the employees like marco and Frank and a few more are really nice ppl.

*edit* and there i ruined my chances of ever getting a job at MA of fpc IF i would change my mind lol :p But i'm a guy that says what's on his mind so oh well :)

Ok....You have to understand that Skam as a player in the game dont exist enymore now is she hanne and she work for FPC and has to follow the companys rules so as you remeber her ( just forget it ) she is a employee of FPC now.

Seriously guys?

You are at the point where you diss the swedish holidays, just because Hanne hasn't been around for a week? Really? She has done more in her role as a community manager than anybody else has ( yes I know there hasn't been any) but at least let the girl try!

I can understand the frustration and the whining, but it is not her foul. She is, to my knowledge at least, trying. As for what her job description is, I'll guess she will tell us, but please... Give her a chance.

If anybody know the pulse of the comunity it is her! Sure, she can't talk as Skam anymore but seriously, what did you expect? She is our middleman to the "evil" FPC. And she understand what we want.

Community Manager goes on holiday but doesn't let the community know? How difficult would it have been to add a line to the last Latest Buzz that said, 'FYI - I will be afk for holiday from .... Will miss you!'

Agreed. One line saying "I'll be gone until (insert date). See you when I get back" isn't time consuming and would stop a lot of speculation.

Personally my view of what a Community Manager should do, as far as what the community actually sees, is give updates, answer questions, bring customer concerns to management and bring managements replies to the community. The updates, answers, etc should be supplied though the official blog or if it's a reply to something in a forum then in that forum.

As for the community manager being in-game via avatar vs. on blog or forum, I think the great majority of the time should be in forums or blogs so everyone can see the information. An answer to one person's question will usually be of interest to many people so, unless it's a very private issue, the answer should be posted in one of the "regular places".

I liked what I saw of Skam as a player and EF member. As for Hanne in the CM role... What I have seen has been decent, but there just needs to be a LOT more interaction.

My feeling is that she is very capable of doing these things quite well, but that the powers that be are pulling back on the reins.
Please loosen the grip if this is the case. More information to the community really is a good thing, not something to fear. I don't mean an increase of 10% either. I think an increase in communication of at least 1,000% would be a good minimum to shoot for (Just looking at post quantities and lengths. Hoping it wouldn't be fluff filler).

From my years (many) in business I know that when I give my customers the information they want/need, whether they like what I tell them or not, they appreciate it and most likely will continue to be a customer because they know that we care enough and are honest enough to be straight with them.

For years I was sickened by the lack of interest in the customer by MA. With the birth of FPC I hoped for big changes. Things have improved a little, but they have a very long way to go before I will be able to say the customer service and care is great.

I have high hopes for FPC because I want to be a customer ten+ years from now.

I hope this is taken as the constructive criticism I intend it to be.

Agreed. One line saying "I'll be gone until (insert date). See you when I get back" isn't time consuming and would stop a lot of speculation.

DOes she also need to ask permission from us to go to the toilet ?

DOes she also need to ask permission from us to go to the toilet ?

Faye ... Calin's post was very well done and constructively. It has value with regard to what a community manager usually does, and I feel that there are most likely quite a few who would agree with it. He wasn't being rude toward Hanne, and even supported that he's sure she's quite capable of doing the job properly, but may be held back by the powers that be. Perhaps exploring the link I provided, along with the resources at the bottom of the Wiki page would be helpful in understanding just what a community manager does.

Also ... no one is attacking Hanne, but rather expressing an opinion that what she does (and does well) can be beefed up a bit. I also don't think leaving a message for the community that she's going to be away on vacation is a bad thing either. The problem is not that Hanne doesn't do a good job when she's here, but rather the consistency and frequency with which she interacts with the community, which is a huge part of a community manager's job.

Faye ... Calin's post was very well done and constructively. It has value with regard to what a community manager usually does, and I feel that there are most likely quite a few who would agree with it. He wasn't being rude toward Hanne, and even supported that he's sure she's quite capable of doing the job properly, but may be held back by the powers that be. Perhaps exploring the link I provided, along with the resources at the bottom of the Wiki page would be helpful in understanding just what a community manager does.

Also ... no one is attacking Hanne, but rather expressing an opinion that what she does (and does well) can be beefed up a bit. I also don't think leaving a message for the community that she's going to be away on vacation is a bad thing either. The problem is not that Hanne doesn't do a good job when she's here, but rather the consistency and frequency with which she interacts with the community, which is a huge part of a community manager's job.

and my point is that neither me nor you nor the community can judge what Hanne can or cant do. Hanne is a wonderful person and i might even consider her a friend not just the community manager.

Does Marco say when he is on holiday or Emma or Simon? Do they need to?
Hanne does interact a lot with the community even more then you think. Itś just that she is on holiday now and cant or wont do job things. She already said that she is a week off. Maybe next time she does it before hand but thats up to her and not us to decide. So we know that she is on holiday. Enough said no point to contuine a discussion about something we cant even have a say in it.

P.S. MS9 why cant i repsone to a post even if it's constructive being post ? Itś a forum where you can put down your reaction anytime

P.S. MS9 why cant i repsone to a post even if it's constructive being post ? Itś a forum where you can put down your reaction anytime

You can, but ... your post was a pot shot at Calin, which was sarcastic and rude ... not constructive. I feel that you have given your own constructive input, and it's appreciated, so I felt that it was unnecessary that you did the one-liner you did that was directed at Calin who in fact did a wonderfully constructive post.

Also ... I get the fact that you're (perhaps) friends with Hanne, and maybe that might give you a bit less objectivity when looking at the dynamics of how a community manager generally interacts and communicates with the community. There are many examples of this out there at other game forums that just blows the mind with how interactive they are, and how much they keep the community informed, so this isn't anything new.

Again ... there's nothing here derogatory that is directed at Hanne whatsoever, but rather a discussion with regard to how a community manager usually interacts with the community, and that this community would like to see an increase in this area. There are many threads and posts at this forum to support that statement, so that too is nothing new.

Discussion is healthy ... and you've given your opinion about this matter as well, which is respected, but it doesn't mean that we take pot shots at others who have well constructed and respectful opinions just because they disagree with us.

You can, but ... your post was a pot shot at Calin, which was sarcastic and rude ... not constructive. I feel that you have given your own constructive input, and it's appreciated, so I felt that it was unnecessary that you did the one-liner you did that was directed at Calin who in fact did a wonderfully constructive post.

Then maybe let Calin response. I dunno why you get upset then. My reaction might be harsh at this moment because itś a pointless discussion.

Their for i withdrawn from this disucssion because it wont get us anywhere.

And not every post has to be constructive. I dont typ miles long saying thngs twice over and over again. I find it rather rude to force our opuion on somebody who does a great job and knows the community inside out. Just because she out on a ONE week holiday everybody is after her.

I leave it here. I got more the feeling you are out to get me then doing a discussion MS9.

This is not about Hanne, it's about the role fo the community manager of this game and Hanne can read this and try to address it with Marco if she is limited by her job profile or try to react to it if it is up to her to do so.

It boild down to the same old problem, FPC / MA and Community interaction. And the fact that we are raising the issue should be an encouragement. We have a new person filling a new role which has not been shaped yet so Hanne has every chance to make the best of this and to impose her marks on this new job. IF Hanne is limited in her Job by FPC, then these forum posts are just what it needs to show her management that she needs more freedom...

This is a constructive discussion for the better for FPC. ;)

Let me be clear.

FPC indeed need to improve communication.

But Hanne communicates better then ever (i know from personal experience)

I'm more defending Hanne because of her personality. Thats why i get mad about it.

If the discussion now contuines to improve communication from FCP then yes, they might do some more yes. (same goes for MindArk , Rocktropia etc)

Then maybe let Calin response. I dunno why you get upset then. My reaction might be harsh at this moment because itś a pointless discussion.

And not every post has to be constructive. I dont typ miles long saying thngs twice over and over again. I find it rather rude to force our opuion on somebody who does a great job and knows the community inside out. Just because she out on a ONE week holiday everybody is after her.

I leave it here. I got more the feeling you are out to get me then doing a discussion MS9.

Firstly this discussion is hardly pointless... it's of major concern to some of the people here...

Secondly, this is not about one week of holiday. This is a resumee of what whe have seen so far... the one week holiday was just sort of the spark that set this off... ok, maybe that is unfortunate, but we don't know when who is on holiday and for what reason it's all gone quiet. As a community and user of a service to expect the shop to be open. Of course we all understand holidays and that's not the problem... but again, it's a communication issues... ;) I don't care when technical programmer is on holiday because it does not impact me. I do care when support is on holiday or the community manager... ;)

...the dynamics of how a community manager generally interacts and communicates with the community. There are many examples of this out there at other game forums that just blows the mind with how interactive they are, and how much they keep the community informed, so this isn't anything new.

Again ... there's nothing here derogatory that is directed at Hanne whatsoever, but rather a discussion with regard to how a community manager usually interacts with the community

Good post as usuall. And again as i said before this discussion as you say really has nothing to do with hanne, but more her job (and most likely the limits fpc put on her)

And i have been playing mmo's since the early days, UO etc etc and been playing several different games. If you compare MA/FPC community management with most of those other games then MA/FPC's community management is ages away from even being decent. (AGAIN this is nothing agains hanne herself, but FPC and the management there)

And again as i said before, being a community manager is nearly a 24/7 job, you live, breath and marry the game you are a community manager more or less, if your going to go take a dump you bring your laptop and place it in your lap and browse the forum etc etc. That is the life of a community manager ( a little big exagerated but u get the idea i guess)

If hanne is involved in anything else than actuall community manageing, remove that from her job and let her actually focus on manageing the community. ie do blogposts, post on the forum DAILY (and not just fluffposts about cookies although cookieposts are nice too :D), make interviews, take up discusssiona bout lootbalance, improvements we want to be seen etc etc. let har actually COMMUNICATE with us, not just throw us a bone once every now and then.

Although i'm sceptical we will ever see a proper communicaton from MA/FPC from previous experiences.

what he said :yay::wtg::yay:

Are you guys freaking serious?

Your all ranting at the fact ma/fpc havent posted anything in a while.

Its none of our damn business why they havent posted, why thier on holiday or what Hanne's full job desicription is.

We dont employ them and therefor its not our right to judge thier actions like this.

They are on holiday, who are we to say that hanne should go to mexico whare she wont get the 5 weeks holiday?

Just because hanne isnt posting loads here and there doesnt mean that she isnt doing her job.

What ive noticed is hanne has taken the info posts away from EF and instead is grouping all info up and posting in a more neutral place, Entropia Gateway.

So no wonder her EF posts per day are down.

I mean for all we know she has many many dutys behid closed doors that we dont know about.

End of the day, we dont emply her, therefore its not our right to try to dicate what the community manager for FPC does.

Regards,

Stave

I'm not upset ... just posting an opinion Faye, and I'm certainly not out to get you whatsoever. In fact, I have always considered you a friend, so not sure what's going on here at all.

Also ... it's a shame that you can't find value in what some are posting about the responsibilities of a community manger. It's not about Hanne, but about the position, and that the interaction with the community is not as effective as it could be, but we fault FPC for this rather than Hanne. Hanne is a lovely person, and I absolutely respect her experience and knowledge of this universe and community, so no issues there whatsoever. It also has nothing to do with her being out on a one week vacation either, but rather it would have been a nice gesture to alert the community so there were no expectations of communication during the time she was gone. It's a common courtesy that's done in business environments all the time, so this too isn't something new.

On another note ... no one is forcing an opinion on anyone whatsoever, but rather participating in a discussion, and you can draw your value where you may. As emphatic as you've been in defending Hanne, which I don't really feel is necessary because this isn't about her personally, one could assess that you might be forcing your opinion on others as well. However, I just accept it as your view and respect that. The only critical point I made was toward your one-liner pot shot at Calin, which only puts people on the defensive, rather than adding constructive content to the discussion.

Thing is ... being constructive in a discussion adds value, and gives people a different perspective to consider. It's also a way to get the attention of those who need to be aware of community opinions and suggestions in order to make things better. The moment you introduce rudeness, or attack another person's post (especially a constructive one), it takes the discussion off course, with the potential of becoming worse.

Faye ... I have nothing against you whatsoever, and have always been respectful toward you, but it was my opinion that your response to Calin was really uncalled for, because it so much as said that what he posted had no value, which in fact it truly did, and that only your opinion mattered. I hope we can get past this, because your views are just as important as those of everyone else's in this community, and we should be respectful of differing perspectives.

This is not about Hanne, it's about the role fo the community manager of this game and Hanne can read this and try to address it with Marco if she is limited by her job profile or try to react to it if it is up to her to do so.

This started it https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...271-new-community-manager-31.html#post2507068

Which was a rant (he warned for it)

Now if we go talking about FPC not giving details about anything , which they do at the entropiagateway.com maybe yes we can discuss.

Hanne told in this same thread about having 1 week holiday. So she explained it. Which also means that even on HOLIDAY she checks this thread. Other FPC employee also check now and the on holiday here. What do you expect from a Community Manager? Explaining in detail how the loot system works ?or when the next nerf/update comes?

Or do you like the community manager just to goof off in the forum like we do all the time here ? She also has a task at the office. Maybe preparing the next lvl? Testing the new re-modeled area or the new missions even.

She is doing all she can with the information she can give out. This blocks here from making as many post as Skam.

@ Mindstar

Sometimes my feelings (i'm human after all) get all emotional :). Hanne did something for me in the past which i still value much. Even more then the any hof/ath/global/reward ingame. And the thread was about Hanne. Not just the community manager

I hope you understand this

@ Mindstar

Sometimes my feelings (i'm human after all) get all emotional :). Hanne did something for me in the past which i still value much. Even more then the any hof/ath/global/reward ingame. And the thread was about Hanne. Not just the community manager

I do understand Faye ... and your loyalty to Hanne as such is admirable. Part of what I teach in my classes is all about emotion and motivation, so I know exactly where you're coming from with regard to the emotions tied to your personal interaction with Hanne, and I'm sure it's very special for you. I know your first impression was that this was all about Hanne, and your emotions kicked in as a result of your personal experience, so it's quite understandable that you took the position you did, but as many have said ... this isn't (personally) about Hanne whatsoever, but rather her position and how FPC could make it more effective. ;)

This started it https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...271-new-community-manager-31.html#post2507068

Which was a rant (he warned for it)

Now if we go talking about FPC not giving details about anything , which they do at the entropiagateway.com maybe yes we can discuss.

Hanne told in this same thread about having 1 week holiday. So she explained it. Which also means that even on HOLIDAY she checks this thread. Other FPC employee also check now and the on holiday here. What do you expect from a Community Manager? Explaining in detail how the loot system works ?or when the next nerf/update comes?

Or do you like the community manager just to goof off in the forum like we do all the time here ? She also has a task at the office. Maybe preparing the next lvl? Testing the new re-modeled area or the new missions even.

She is doing all she can with the information she can give out. This blocks here from making as many post as Skam.

Well it is a rant yes but it's a rant about the community manager and the job to "communicate". Again, it's not about Hanne.

You complain that you don't want to repost the same thing again and again, well , then read my posts and don't start making emotional unreasonable posts. I have said before, we don't want to have secrets from FPC. Communicating with the Community happens at many levels... and it's important. And yes, I do expect the community manager to "goof off" in the forum... I do NOT expec ther to prepare next lvls or testing areas, that is not the job of the community manager, at least not mainly. Only for feedback purposes. Unless, as I have said before (reread my posts) her community manager job is not 100%. You see I am starting to repeat myself...

@ Mindstar

I gess this is the problem. You know Hanne personally and you now take everything "personal" also you seem to have made experiences with skam or hanne as "community manager" which we do not share. So you have to understand that other people might have a different perception. Skam chose to work for FPC by her own choice, now she has to deal with the issues FPC has and although she has beefed up communication in her job as "community manager", some of us just expect some more from a dedicated FPC employee with the title of "community manager". Now maybe there are reasons why we are not getting the full 100% we expect but we do not know what's going on at FPC...

You should accept that this is not a personal attack on a person and you should also accept that most of us don't know hanne how you maybe do.

Most people here are discussing this topic in a very mature way and it's to the benefit of this game and it's community. ;)

Every year, there seems to be certain seasonal "traditions".

July & Dec. with folks playing less due to RL reasons, we see an increase of "Prices are falling! EU is doomed!" posts.

Also in July, due to the Sweden holiday issue, we get tons of "MA never talks to us! Why won't they answer?!?!?!?" posts.

This was never about Hanne, or Marco or any other MA employee. Those are just names most players know best. (Kind of like blaming Steve Jobs personally for some technical problem Apple has w/ it's product, like he built it personally.)

In three weeks, this thread might as well have never happened.

Note I said nothing about the actual topic. Regardless of whether I approve of the community manager or not, this type of thread will repeat itself again next summer.

Also in July, due to the Sweden holiday issue, we get tons of "MA never talks to us! Why won't they answer?!?!?!?" posts.

well they more or less never talk to us :p

Nice observation, but (and not directed at you personally :)) ... this doesn't just happen during July and we all know that. ;) Efforts have certainly been made and there has been an improvement, so I will definitely give credit where credit is due, but ... effectively interacting with the community is an ongoing issue that seems to be short-lived after each effort, and it's a neverending story ... we know that too. The proof is beyond the pudding, and it's a sticky mess all over this forum. :D

Don't get me wrong though ... FPC has gotten involved with the community more than before, but ... it's just not consistent nor frequent enough. There always seems to be a long drought period in between, and it's understandable that the community gets itchy about it.

Status
Back