What is so hard about posting content now MA?

Thantos

Grumpy Old Fart
Society
Pyrates of Calypso
Jamez Thantos Brios
I still do not understand why MA posts content changes after the update.
So after the new planet is introduced, we can start trying to figure out how to get there? Why can't we read about it now? That way, we are ready as soon as we can get back in. To me, this actually makes MA lose money. I could be playing immediately once the new version is online, but instead I will have to read about the updates instead of playing. I'm not a very smart man, so could someone please explain this to me? :scratch2:

Good point, my guess:

Nobody really knows whats in the new VU - until they got it up and can look for themselves... :D

Good point, my guess:

Nobody really knows whats in the new VU - until they got it up and can look for themselves... :D

I've often thought the same thing. But, I still try to give them the benefit of the doubt. I guess I really am dumb. :ahh:

Simple, with the skills to place teleporters inside rocks during updates they are not sure what they can actually implement or not.

So its safer to post after they are done then before, right?

From the migration to VU10.0 you should know that they don't know what they do till the very implementation to the real system. And some things always look like coded the day of VU update :evilking:

probably because we'll have all the time in the world reading the announcements as we're trying to actually download the update - and with a new planet included, something tells me this might take some time... :rolleyes:

I believe the phrase Hanne (or was it Marco) used recently was "expectation management".

It's always a good idea to commit to as little as possible until as late as possible, especially when your customers are a bunch of forum-crazy gamers who will criticise the tiniest error or problem.

Double-blind top secret super compartmentalized coding. Hell, it's so secret that we're all gonna have to be killed for seeing these words on the screen!

In some situations it's not desirable to inform before changes are made.

For example if it's stated opalo's will no longer be available at the TT, the people that are able to log in have a benefit over the ones that aren't.

In some situations it's not desirable to inform before changes are made.

For example if it's stated opalo's will no longer be available at the TT, the people that are able to log in have a benefit over the ones that aren't.

Can you explain this a little more please? What benefit will they have?

I still do not understand why MA posts content changes after the update.
So after the new planet is introduced, we can start trying to figure out how to get there? Why can't we read about it now? That way, we are ready as soon as we can get back in. To me, this actually makes MA lose money. I could be playing immediately once the new version is online, but instead I will have to read about the updates instead of playing. I'm not a very smart man, so could someone please explain this to me? :scratch2:

When you're dealing with a real world economy...Changes can make big differences. For instance...Remember when they removed the colorators from TT's? If they posted that before the VU, people would have stocked up like crazy... I think its just safer for them to inform everyone after the changes have been made due to possible sheisters that may try to make a quick buck..I'm sure out of safety it is just part of their standard operating procedures.

I believe the phrase Hanne (or was it Marco) used recently was "expectation management".

It's always a good idea to commit to as little as possible until as late as possible, especially when your customers are a bunch of forum-crazy gamers who will criticise the tiniest error or problem.

Hahaha, very diplomatic put for both sides. :lolup:

As with them old white n black slacks that were available at NPC in Hadesheim: if some knowledge beforehand, people can hoard.

I know two persons who pop a few opalos from TT every server down :)

MA/FPC have commented in the past that they want to have the freedom to withdraw features if they don't pass certain tests just after implementing them.

so, instead of saying "VU 11 will have X and Y", and then saying "we're sorry, but Y does not work, so it will not be included", they prefer to say what's actually working, AFTER they know they have been able to implemente it correctly.

have you ever wondered why certain micro-VUs have absourdly poor/tiny content? my bet is that the features they had in mind simply did not work as expected after the implementation on the live servers, so they withdrew them from the VU.

When you're dealing with a real world economy...Changes can make big differences. For instance...Remember when they removed the colorators from TT's? If they posted that before the VU, people would have stocked up like crazy... I think its just safer for them to inform everyone after the changes have been made due to possible sheisters that may try to make a quick buck..I'm sure out of safety it is just part of their standard operating procedures.

I'll accept that, but we cannot log in right now so why not post the contents now?

most likely they are working on getting the update running as fast as possible
and dont want to waste time posting an content update when they are done

also a possibilty is that they then can decide to drop a feature that they couldnt get working until the last moment

in RL when a server is down (i am a systems engineer) i like to be working on getting that server running again
those pesky CEO and head of managment keeping asking questions how long the server will be down by phone or in person.

jedegre had the same idea as me just types faster

most likely they are working on getting the update running as fast as possible
and dont want to waste time posting an content update when they are done

also a possibilty is that they then can decide to drop a feature that they couldnt get working until the last moment

in RL when a server is down (i am a systems engineer) i like to be working on getting that server running again
those pesky CEO and head of managment keeping asking questions how long the server will be down by phone or in person.

In real life, I'm an IT project manager. Not everyone in the shop is working on the update and the content list isn't compiled after you bring the server back up. So this shouldn't be an issue.

"In real life, I'm an IT project manager. Not everyone in the shop is working on the update and the content list isn't compiled after you bring the server back up. So this shouldn't be an issue." by thantos

that was the whole question of the threadstarter(is thantos)

he finds it an issue that the content of the update isnt published sooner
Well unless you work at MA you dont know if the whole shop is or isnt working on the update.
i think a large portion of the staff will be very busy until the servers are running again

MA/FPC have commented in the past that they want to have the freedom to withdraw features if they don't pass certain tests just after implementing them.

This is how i remember it also.

I understand they want the freedom to remove stuff but makes me wonder.... shouldnt they know what works before applying a VU :rolleyes:

What about QA :scratch2:

We always tend to forget that this game is an RCE game and has some financial implications when it comes to upgrade of features. (Ofc, not all upgrade has financial impact, BUT if they do, then no one would have (to much of an advantage) if the info is released after the upgrade and the server is taken down within a short notice.

I think, MA is doing the right thing here.

My 2 pecs.

Can you explain this a little more please? What benefit will they have?

Thantos u weren't here yet when the colorators were still for sale at the tt? They were sold +100 after. I can't believe u cannot imagine.

Posted via Mobile Device

Back