Thread Against falling damage

Are you with or against the falling damage feature?

• I'm with,i like the ability to take damage in every kind of fall.

Votes: 59 22.7%
  • I'm against this feature, takes all the pleasure of a run trought the mountains and its annoying.

Votes: 89 34.2%
  • I guess something could be worked and make damage only in great falls (100+meters fall for example).

Votes: 96 36.9%
  • I have no opinion regarding this matter.

Votes: 16 6.2%

• Total voters

Mathayus

Stalker
Society
Utopia
Jacky Mathayus Mickliny
Hi everyone.
I'm somehow pissed of because a simple jump makes some damage too on the avatars.
I would understand taking some damage in a huge fall, but c'mon, taking damage even while going down a small hill, no jumps at all, it's insane...
It's typical from Mindark to take out every little bit of fun we have with avatars.
First was the ability to run while sitted down (fun like hell really :D) then small bugs that didnt affected at all any business, and now we take damage if we make a downhill run...
I'm hoping we can make a petition to Mindark remove this so called "feature".
Who's sharing my opinion and who's with this feature?

Reactions: nix
My personal opinion is that falling damage, done right, is a good thing. Not getting a scratch after falling dozends of meters always seemed strange to me. You guys will probably crucify for saying that but I would even like the falling damage to be impact damage that can be absorbed by armor. :eek:

While I can see how some wouldn't consider it a good thing, I don't understand why some people are complaining so vocally about falling damage.

Can't you just not jump off mountains?

I'm more concerned about the fact that EU is currently almost completely unplayable (at least from a hunter's perspective).

I hate the idea personally.

Ran from PA to swamp last night, on the main path, and got some damage, not from a cliff, but a small incline.
(screw driving, if the smallest blade of grass is now going to damage the car's SI.)

Then, after no spawns, ran back and helped a new soc member on a tp run.

Got near Ithaca, but on main continent, and fell down a cliff, took 98 damage I think it was, and the new soc member, and someone else I picked up, followed me, and both promptly died. :scratch2:
So had to TP back, and find a longer route.

I doubt the mobs will have damage, on spots I like to hunt solo, scips SE Oshiri, when they fall down a small incline, or a big one, if tagged from afar, so why should we?
And the cliff, just west when tp'ing back to Oshiri is now a bloody nightmare, still, I suppose it saves on ME now, but annoying if your on another hunt, wasting fap decay to heal quick.

If MA keep this feature, I hope that the entire maps off all planets are going to be remade, so are more accesible, else it's detrimentary to fun.

While I can see how some wouldn't consider it a good thing, I don't understand why some people are complaining so vocally about falling damage.

I'm more concerned about the fact that EU is currently almost completely unplayable (at least from a hunter's perspective).

Yes your right about the part EU is mostly unplayable.
I'm not against the damage falling from a mountain, i'm against the fact that every little bigger jump, even in smooth falls, damages you..now imagine your hunting near a small smooth hill, and some mob push you back, and you end up falling in that small, smooth hill, there you go, taking damage from the mob and an extra damage from that fall... :rolleyes:

Right after vu10 launched and I was collecting the tp's again I remember running through a LA where without a tp chip or very long detour the only way across it was to jump off a high cliff.

Also what happens if they screw up the height on a revive, so thats floating in mid air. The only way out would be by tp chip as it will on the low priority fix list.

Vehicles taking accidental damage was always going to happen. But what happens when you lend your new vehicle to someone and they destroy it :rolleyes:

Fun or realism. Whatever makes MA more money in a given situation will win.

Yes your right about the part EU is mostly unplayable.
I'm not against the damage falling from a mountain, i'm against the fact that every little bigger jump, even in smooth falls, damages you..now imagine your hunting near a small smooth hill, and some mob push you back, and you end up falling in that small, smooth hill, there you go, taking damage from the mob and an extra damage from that fall... :rolleyes:

Last night I was running round jumping off small bumps and such, trying to get myself to take fall damage, and in the area where I was hunting (or trying to) I couldn't find anything high enough to damage me :laugh:

Maybe there is a problem of inconsistency in the way hills are treated, some areas being over-sensitive perhaps? :scratch2:

Im for it ! :)

You need quite high fall to die and PVP is a lot better now ;)

Frankly, I expect to take damage in fall, or my car to take damage when it hits something, so I consider the way it has been up to now pretty lame.

The fact that it effects HP, but without Armor Decay (or with vehicles; SI but not TT) makes it quite reasonable.

I have found my car takes very minor damage, even from larger falls, and requires a substantial impact to trigger any damage. I have found that I can jump down one story for 10hp, and I had to jump of a cliff to die. Seems reasonable to me.

It is the issue of taking damage on an incline or hill that seems like a problem - but that calls for tuning and improving, not scrapping altogether.

One thing is certain - every change will piss off somebody.

:beerchug:
Miles

I only experienced a few minor falls when out exploring the wastes, and had to be careful as to where I climbed. It's possible to power slide down vertical drops, and do it with cars too and not take any damage. So far I'm not for the new fall damage nor am I seriously against it, but I do think if they keep it they should not only lessen the damage taken but also put in a message that says you took damage in a fall. As it is now it just tells you you got hurt and it can be surprising all of a sudden you take damage and you stop and think is something shooting/hitting me? only to realize it was just the uneven terrain.

I think its dumb, HOWEVER it is in line with most games. So /shrug i guess.

They should just make sure its only a real fall that damages you. I haven't tried to take falling damage yet, so i dunno how it is in practice.

Other as for pvp this is...uhm...not needed at all...

NOW NEW!
Fapservice T1-UR125
Also against falling damage!
Just tell me where you want to jump off i will fap your remnants when youre down, easy as this!

kinda funny they removed to option to suicide and then later make it possiple to suicide by jumping out a cliff lol

I would understand taking some damage in a huge fall, but c'mon, taking damage even while going down a small hill, no jumps at all, it's insane...

I have a problem with this as well... running down a hill and getting damage with every 3rd or 4th step.
Falling = Damage - IMO O.K.
Running down hill = Damage - IMO is Stealing via fap decay

Hopefully they didn't intend the system to work this way and they will fix it with tomorrow's update. Otherwise I'll just stay away from hilly areas which WILL cost them money.... maybe not much.... but SOME instead of it costing ME money to utilize the service on hilly terrain.

This also affects teleporting. You Teleport to an area landing on a steep hill and as you slide down you're taking damage.
Falling 10 feet and taking 1.0 damage IMO is acceptable.

Menace

I was under the impression Calypso had weaker gravity than Earth, so falls shouldn't impact us too much... Or is it normal to run around with 200kilos on my back? I would be alright with taking damage if you jump off a Mall or something... Getting hit for 10-20 damage as you run along the side (not up or down) of an incline is pretty lame.... What comes next? Damage if you run without shoes or foot guards?:rolleyes:

i dont like the fall damage

however if we must have it

i think it should be you take damage falling, but never enough to kill you. there are some locations that you can only access by jumping off a cliff. some of these locations are prime mob spawns with no other way to access the best areas.

I LOVE! the new damage. no joke!
It really make you think how to properly travel from one place to another.
I'm having a blast attempting to get from one hill top to another.
Its like one crazy puzzle to figure out.

to all the whiners about fap decay. ? i just have to :laugh: laugh at you. most damage i take from falling is healed back in a few minutes without needed to fap. so whats the deal? you dont need to be at full hp to run and you know when a mob is going to attack you by your radar.

use your brains my fellow entropians! dont be lazy!!

Well put, I'm totally with Miles on this :)

Funny as MA always try to make the game more realistic as possible, when this means more decay, more income for them... Realistic as i stop my car, and put it in my pocket... :rolleyes:
But i'm not tottaly against the damage thing, i just think that this needs some rearrangement. They could make it so you could only take damage when falling straight more than a XXX meters, not when your running down a "normal" smooth hill and get damage almost every step.. there are situations where a small hit of these could kill you in a hunt.. at least for my level...
Like someone said earlier, this feature is great for paratroopers...

I guess I'm just going to have to do my own research and report my findings. :D They won't be geek-squad quality, but they'll be findings, and then I'll see what side of the fence my opinion is on. ;)

I have a problem with this as well... running down a hill and getting damage with every 3rd or 4th step.
Falling = Damage - IMO O.K.
Running down hill = Damage - IMO is Stealing via fap decay

Hopefully they didn't intend the system to work this way and they will fix it with tomorrow's update. Otherwise I'll just stay away from hilly areas which WILL cost them money.... maybe not much.... but SOME instead of it costing ME money to utilize the service on hilly terrain.

This also affects teleporting. You Teleport to an area landing on a steep hill and as you slide down you're taking damage.
Falling 10 feet and taking 1.0 damage IMO is acceptable.

Menace

Please video yourself in RL running down a steep hill, and calculate at the end how much damage you take.

Oh and...uh... try walking down? I think that's how sane people do it.

Oleg said "I'm more concerned about the fact that EU is currently almost completely unplayable (at least from a hunter's perspective). " <--- EXACTLY

Never mind about silly falling damage atm. Lets get the hunting fixed. Oh wait, ships are fun right ?

Most fun of this new future is using your teleport chip.
That now has a real risk of landing in a one way trip to the revival.

Landed today on the side of a cliff and fell, instant death. :yay:

Can already imagine people landing half death in a mob spawn. :laugh:

Now this is a fun future that I like.
:wtg: :wtg:

Maybe some tuning is called for to optimise the damage.

If damage is less than 10 then do no damage.

Taking damage while running down a hill is by no means realistic IRL.

Falling off a hill is :)

I m not against the fallin damage, it s just sad MA remove some that was very funny. Infact jumping from an high mountain was, since evr, a Calypsian very funny activity. No more fun :-(

OMG I took damage walking out of a service center after being revived and died!!! I should have taken a screen shot.... I mean come on REALLY???

I think adding falling damage is good but it needs to be tweaked as it is a little excessive. There have been a few suggestions already about what might be changed. So no sense repeating them.

I did a lot of porting last night doing some of the scouting missions. I have ported to instant death sliding down a mountain. But hey, I also ported to instant death landing in the middle of a bunch of killer robots. So its just a different type of risk. At least when you port into a mountainous area you know you might land in a perilous spot and you can try to aim for flat land. But is basically random whether you will end up surrounded by red dots. Other times I ported and landed safely but in a spot where I couldn't see any safe way down to where I wanted to go. So it was risk falling to my death or try to port 100 metres.

I did find it frustrating that at my skill level I cant accurately port and so I might aim for a low spot but end up on the side of a cliff.

I've already started adjusting the way I play. I plan my route down a hill instead of just going in straight line. I am cautious about the area I port into. All this seems good, if they can just reduce the dmg from small drops.

I also like the idea that there are some areas where its gonna be difficult or dangerous to port or drive in. Maybe you really do need to run into the volcano area, fighting your way past the mobs (once they start spawning again).

Oh and clearly, VTOLs are going to be huge, at least until bird collisions start blowing up the engines.

See no Porblem with the new feature, enforces the usage of the vehicles actually, which again is good for the economy.

As for "hunters perspective"...tried to switch to a miner yesterday because of that...
Without working refiners it is unplayable from that perspective as well.

Back