Will the real EU Comunity please stand up?

To be fair, resellers are usually defined as people who manipulate the market to gain money, and LA owners are not needed, since all mobs could exist without LAs, but I wouldn't want them removed either...

Seems to me LA's give MA a one time cash revenue when they sell them but a long term drain of cash and even players.

The players/investors who have made the most money in this game for the most part on LA owners. All that money could have gone to MA and perhaps some of it back to players. One LA owner has claimed to have made millions of dollars. That money was drained from players, many of whom might still be playing had MA owned it and not taken that money from those players and from the game.

There are a bunch of these type of things in game that seem to push players away. Who really wants to pay money simply to move around the game, money which doesn't even go to MA. If it did go to MA at least some of it could be put back into the game. But instead players are being drained money through basic everyday actions like hunting and mining on LA's and even moving around the game. I think the time as long passed where MA needs to cater to it's basic players more and stop thinking of new ways to drain money from them and into "investor" hands as that happens fast enough already.

From a positive member of the community...

Mr. Sunshine here, and I can honestly say that after 4 years of playing daily on a fairly low budget, I am happier than I have ever been. I tend to take a long-term, impersonal view of changes to EU, and I have very few complaints and many commendations on the changes that have occurred. The total number, scope, and scale of improvements has been mind-blowing and in the big picture I think EU has followed the path it laid out years ago quite well.

As I traveled through Space, on my own ship, to another planet, I was taking part in the dream of EU as it was frequently presented in my early years of play. Yet another huge advance that is nothing like I expected, and far better than I imagined. Does it impact my play? Yes, but it also enriches my experience and opens up many new possibilities.

During this entire time, according to the forums, the sky has been falling and MA has been the most incompetent company on the face of the Earth. Last I checked, however, the sky is still in place (mostly blue atm) and MA has survived to create something that has never been done before - and they are still forging ahead.

The simple fact is a dozen people making the same complaints on every thread can make any issue seem like a huge firestorm that has the "community" up in arms, but reality is that most people are too busy playing to bother with all the crap on the forum.

I am currently not on Calypso, and I miss it - the whole big, messy, unfinished jumble of its past creates a more true-to-life virtual world than any well organized, well planned, and smoothly executed planet could ever muster. I'll be coming home soon - and I'm looking forward to the trip, too.

:beerchug:

Miles

I think MA is well aware of the situation, they had to dismiss 9 in staff.
So no question about they don't see the drop of depos and interest for EU.
The question is, what will they do to turn this to the better?

I do trust MA.:cool: I start to depo only 20% of what i used of to do and next time it will be 0%.:yay::yay:

The simple fact is a dozen people making the same complaints on every thread can make any issue seem like a huge firestorm that has the "community" up in arms, but reality is that most people are too busy playing to bother with all the crap on the forum.

Agreed, negative people are always louder than the positive ones.

I think MA is well aware of the situation, they had to dismiss 9 in staff.
So no question about they don't see the drop of depos and interest for EU.
The question is, what will they do to turn this to the better?

I should probably point out the following:
1) Those staff quit because they had less projects to work on, so they chose to save money by cutting down on the staff. The projects they were working on were finished.
2) Total deposits were up by 19% (7% if adjusted for the weak dollar) in January 2011 compared to January 2010.
3) It is mentioned in the financial report that deposits were down during 2010 and that they expect it was partially because of the financial crisis and partially because of the missing systems.

A crack head might bitch about the dealer but at the end of the day he's still buying his crack.

Reactions: Mac
Agreed, negative people are always louder than the positive ones.

I should probably point out the following:
1) Those staff quit because they had less projects to work on, so they chose to save money by cutting down on the staff. The projects they were working on were finished.
2) Total deposits were up by 19% (7% if adjusted for the weak dollar) in January 2011 compared to January 2010.
3) It is mentioned in the financial report that deposits were down during 2010 and that they expect it was partially because of the financial crisis and partially because of the missing systems.
Compare income for WHOLE 2009 with 2010, and you'll see what I mean. :)
(Btw, didn't some depo a lot for Medusa Head but no need for those PEDs in january since non
wanted to fight against some people? ;))
Ask them to compare between feb-jun 2010 vs feb-jun 2011,
that would be more interesting. Great if they did increase there too. :)

Last edited:

It was a financial crisis, the world is recovering (for now)... What happened in 2010 is not relevant anymore, but 2011 is.

It was a financial crisis, the world is recovering (for now)... What happened in 2010 is not relevant anymore, but 2011 is.
Sadly decisions made in earlier years effect future quite a lot. Question is how long it gonna
take for them to get back to (if ever) a positive result again?

A crack head might bitch about the dealer but at the end of the day he's still buying his crack.

Here goes the answer :).

EU has so much potential but most times doesn't live up to it's potential. The community is what keeps me around. I was prepared to deposit $500 U.S. today to kill Eomon/Longtooth because they started spawning July 6th of last year. Figured they'd spawn today (on July 6th again) with the update. That didn't happen however so I didn't deposit. What else can I do? When I'm not happy I don't pay to play. When I'm happy I pay. Will MindArk EVER realize that they could make 10x the money if they'd actually listen to their customer base and run things with SOME consistancy? Probably not.... so... I either quit or deal with it on a personal level. Quitting would mean leaving many friends behind. So I choose to just deposit TINY amounts until they do something I ENJOY then I deposit more. If everyone did that they'd realize what works best and what don't.

I've got almost 165k skills and will opalo hunt before depositing when I'm un-happy. If I'm happy..... I'll burn through HL15's and X1's like they're going outta style. It's all up to MindArk as to how much money they want to make from me.

Menace

Nice post however not too sure about the Opalo bit. Once having soared like an eagle it is difficult to go back to running with the turkeys. (No disrespect to the turkeys:silly2:)

Mr. Sunshine here, and I can honestly say that after 4 years of playing daily on a fairly low budget, I am happier than I have ever been. I tend to take a long-term, impersonal view of changes to EU, and I have very few complaints and many commendations on the changes that have occurred. The total number, scope, and scale of improvements has been mind-blowing and in the big picture I think EU has followed the path it laid out years ago quite well.

As I traveled through Space, on my own ship, to another planet, I was taking part in the dream of EU as it was frequently presented in my early years of play. Yet another huge advance that is nothing like I expected, and far better than I imagined. Does it impact my play? Yes, but it also enriches my experience and opens up many new possibilities.

During this entire time, according to the forums, the sky has been falling and MA has been the most incompetent company on the face of the Earth. Last I checked, however, the sky is still in place (mostly blue atm) and MA has survived to create something that has never been done before - and they are still forging ahead.

:beerchug:

Miles

Excellant :wtg:

This game is rather like real life. How much you enjoy it depends on a lot of things.
Spend wisely your funds will go further.
Adapt to changes. You can remember the pass however you can do nought about it. Now and the future you have more control off.

Whilst MA really p..s me of at times with not bringing back things I use to love and their voracious appetite to take our money, I believe they have a fairly good long term plan.
there is no need to stand up. EU is an experiment involving money and it will either succeed or fail. It all depends on who runs first out of money, the provider or the players.
Falko puts in a nutshell.

They test us to our limits and when push comes to shove they give in. A bit :laugh::laugh:.

There are a lot of the longer term players that are dissatisfied with a lot of the implements including myself and it is a pity that MA do not do that little bit more to retain us. They do however do enough to retain our interest wether it be actively in the game or whining here on the forums :silly2:.

I suppose their main fault is the absolute lack of real PR. If they could work on this a bit it would do wonders for the players and ultimately the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac
Some people still have the notion that the other planet economies ought to be thriving. As far as I know, have any other planet partners conducted much of anything in terms of a full-scale marketing blitz or customer acquisition campaign?

The purpose was never for Calypso's population to scatter across the universe and take up shop elsewhere... those other planets (especially Arkadia, from what I understand) are basically in an "open beta" mode and are waiting for Treasure Hunting to beimplemented before initiating their heaviest marketing spend.

When those new players show up, THAT is when those economies will grow. If they don't, the planet will shrink and evaporate to a ghostland. But they haven't been out long enough to know whether this is happening for sure or not.

And if I'm not mistaken, if a bunch of new players show up and start depositing, crafting, hunting, mining, treasure hunting, doesn't that lead to the more established players (who are brave enough to fly to another planet) are in a position to reap much of that loot pool, due to their enhanced skills, armor, weapons, etc.?

It seems to me like some are shooting the goose before it's had a chance to settle in and lay some golden eggs first. Anyway, gotta go... have some more space flights to make through lootable PVP. :D

People are here because they love EU and the community and hope things will improve. I have hoped that for 6+ years. To me personally the game goes up and down. There are a lot of new things happening all the time - and it feels as if it's all about 'filling things up' instead of fixing old things. But hey, that's not new. I have to say after so many years it does get a little tiring - but as other say; As long as there are customers, why should they change things? If you look back on the forums you will also see, that the negativity has been there for years. It's the same threads been posted and that, if anything, shows the frustration among players. And it is well-understood.

Some are saying they hoped the PP would stand up against MA and make demands. Who says they aren't? There's only a few 'live' planets at this moment. We don't know the exact background for why SEE left and we do not know what's going on behind the walls. Again, for those of us sticking around, there's only one thing to do; wait.

So what do we do about the current situation? I use to think that the game needed to adjust to me. I would like to turn that a tan and adjust myself to the game to make it fit who I am and how I want to spend both my free time and money. We are all our own masters and in the end it is our own duty to find out how the game suits us best, if it suits us at all.

I'm polishing my old Opalo and will soon go treasure hunting on Arkadia. I will stop expensive crafting, because it's addictive and I became my own slave by doing that. Then I will do what I use to do and what I always loved about EU; Explore :)

Have fun

Bad enough the same dozen of people are spreading negativity on the forum, but also they seem to make it an ingame profession. Just today watched one of the posters in this thread whining on and on in an new-player-area. How great the game was once (was all emo talk and fairy tails anyway) and how bad it is nowadays. Then we wonder about player retention..

Nothing wrong with constructive critic, but this generic whining and bashing.. and then even pretend to speak for the "community"..

Then we wonder about player retention..

I notice that a MUCH higher percentage of newbies I fly to limnadian or chat with in swamp stays for an extended period. More of the newbies I add to fl also logs in more often than half a year ago...

Marco also mentioned that retention is waaay increased since the gateway was added.

As long as there is a base of content (or at least truth telling) players to outweigh the whiners who in manycases I have making things up, then retention should not be a problem.

If your fed up like i am with how MA has taken the enjoyment out of the game then why not just stop playing and investing into the game, wouldn't that make MA want to change things?

See i don't think the community really cares enough or has the balls to stand up organize themselves and force change.

Rebelling against Mindark is illegal and will lead to closure of your account. (the Eula forbids us) Also if you are chipping out and leaving it is illegal on this very forum to state the reason( or at least it was). We have no avatarian (as opposed to human) rights to stand up and protest.

Just today watched one of the posters in this thread whining on and on in an new-player-area. How great the game was once (was all emo talk and fairy tails anyway) and how bad it is nowadays. Then we wonder about player retention..

I see this everyday.

People are still hunting/mining/crafting.

Just a select few who seem not to be happy.

I'm very happy!!

Rebelling against Mindark is illegal and will lead to closure of your account. (the Eula forbids us) Also if you are chipping out and leaving it is illegal on this very forum to state the reason( or at least it was). We have no avatarian (as opposed to human) rights to stand up and protest.

We have the right to protest, not to start boycotts and "strikes" as those who got banned tried to. Big difference.

We have the right to protest, not to start boycotts and "strikes" as those who got banned tried to. Big difference.

Do you dare to find out?

It's always about the negatives, id really love to see someone write up a thread about all the positives that have evolved into our current version from VU9.

I miss a lot from the past, specifically the special feeling, but I also like a lot many of the present additions and the thrill of watching how the potential of Entropia will unfold, if it will, in the future.

This is not exactly advertizing another mmo so I suppose this link is ok: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/840548-Vanilla-WoW. Interesting read. Even if that game is a lot different, you will find lots of complaints of loss of feeling, coming of calculus in the forms of addons and fps-meters, changed community, loss of depth, "losing things i loved it for piece by piece", etc, much what we can see here at PCF. I am sure similar threads can be found from any aged mmorpg forum.

Last edited:
Im only here to check the forum now and then. What a mess. Bullsh!t everywhere. The usual happy people and the usual disapointed suspects. No need to explain. Entropia is no longer a Project. Its became gigantic, blown up piece of crap. The spirit is long gone.

The people that are still pumping their money in here are either new to PE or the usual addicted-to-gambling people or crazy rich people.

The love is gone. The details got removed and destroyed. No one at MA/FPC/SEE/WTF cares anymore. So it wont help if we still care.

Is that what you wanted to hear ? :)

Ditto..... sad ain't it?

I am sure similar threads can be found from any aged mmorpg forum.

Doesnt even have to be an MMO... Check ANY game and you'll find such stuff in community forums ;-)

(Btw, didn't some depo a lot for Medusa Head but no need for those PEDs in january since non
wanted to fight against some people? ;))
Ask them to compare between feb-jun 2010 vs feb-jun 2011,
that would be more interesting. Great if they did increase there too. :)

I believe it have started to increase again in 2011, looking at ingame sales data, you can see that the ingame activity are on levels similar to when it was at the highest point. The biggest problem for MA is not that they have lost players, is the cost have increased to fast.

It's always about the negatives, id really love to see someone write up a thread about all the positives that have evolved into our current version from VU9.

Awwwww...

Sure, there might be positive things, like the awesome space update ,-) or the mega-positive-plans that might be behind the latest scanner-nerf...but MA earned their "Epic Fail Award" way too often...or was it "Epic Vail..."...

Whatever, if you can still SEE the positive things, log in and have fun.

Whatever, if you can still SEE the positive things, log in and have fun.

And since YOU obviously can not, please don't. I really am getting tired of that uselessly negative attitude.

Back