FYI: melee decays while swinging at dead corpse...

3-J

Prowler
Benevolent 3J Afterdark
wow just found this out the hard way... for the past few weeks i've been skilling melee, and just kind of going afk while auto-attacking the mob thinking it didn't decay once the mob was dead, well it certainly does!! no wonder why my returns were so bad lmao :eyecrazy:

sorry if this is already common knowledge. :wise:

wow just found this out the hard way... for the past few weeks i've been skilling melee, and just kind of going afk while auto-attacking the mob thinking it didn't decay once the mob was dead, well it certainly does!! no wonder why my returns were so bad lmao :eyecrazy:

Common knowledge, but always nice to remind ppl who forgot or the newcomers!:yup:
And sry for your loss...

imo it's a bug for years. MA should really fix it.

myself @ support said:
Hello,
swinging melee weapons (swords, knifes etc.) on a dead mob causes the weapon to decay as if it were a live target. I assume this must be a bug, even when it exists for years - maybe you were not aware of it until now. Many thanks for your prompt response.
Regards, steffel

my pleasure :tiphat:

imo it's a bug for years. MA should really fix it.

Why is it a bug? MindForce and guns keep decaying and using ammo if you use them on a dead target.

Why is it a bug? MindForce and guns keep decaying and using ammo if you use them on a dead target.

Bullet flies out of the gun even if you miss the target.
Attack chip uses its ammo, mindforce, even if you strike into thin air.
This is all perfectly realistic.
But there's no such thing as sword ammo. If your knife goes blunt because you swing it in the air, this is not realistic.

I don't know any other game where missing a target with melee causes any decay.

melee doesnt decay when u swing at mob... and miss the hit box...
melee doesnt decay when u swing in the air...
melee doesnt decay when you swing at NPC...
melee doesnt decay when u swing at someone in non pvp...

so essentially if your mob is dead... and you reviewed the list above... it is possible maybe that melee shouldnt decay :)

But there's no such thing as sword ammo. If your knife goes blunt because you swing it in the air, this is not realistic.

I don't know any other game where missing a target with melee causes any decay.

well put

It decays even when it dont hit any thing. A gun decays becuase it fires a bullet. The bug is more of tounge in cheek comment.

That is not the point of the thread though, the thread title clearly says that melee decays when swinging at dead corpse. Hence it is perfectly realistic that melee decays since you are swinging at the actual mob body, just like you did before the mob died.

melee doesnt decay when u swing at mob... and miss the hit box...
melee doesnt decay when u swing in the air...
melee doesnt decay when you swing at NPC...
melee doesnt decay when u swing at someone in non pvp...

so essentially if your mob is dead... and you reviewed the list above... it is possible maybe that melee shouldnt decay :)

Wow did not know all that. I only used melee to kill, so yes it would seem to be a bug.:wise:

That is not the point of the thread though, the thread title clearly says that melee decays when swinging at dead corpse. Hence it is perfectly realistic that melee decays since you are swinging at the actual mob body, just like you did before the mob died.

recently there was a "bug" that collapsed the mobs hitbox/loot box after the mob died...

which would efffectively allow you to swing at the corpse and not decay the blade... but this was because the loot box/hit box was made smaller... was annoying bug... but kinda cool for melee users... but bad for range users... was costly to range users because they would shoot a few extra times before actually looting... when they were used to just right clicking on the mob... they would have to select the dead mob just right now to loot it

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?223954-Aurlo-Loot-box-moved...&highlight=

recently there was a "bug" that collapsed the mobs hitbox/loot box after the mob died...

which would efffectively allow you to swing at the corpse and not decay the blade... but this was because the loot box/hit box was made smaller... was annoying bug... but kinda cool for melee users... but bad for range users

... that doesn't really have anything to do with the current discussion though? :scratch2:

... that doesn't really have anything to do with the current discussion though? :scratch2:

kinda does... because you could swing at the dead mob and not get decay...

isnt that what the thread is about... maybe i am thinking of a different thread?

*edit*
nope just checked...
"Thread: melee decays while swinging at dead corpse..."

kinda does... because you could swing at the dead mob and not get decay...

isnt that what the thread is about... maybe i am thinking of a different thread?

Because of a bug related to the hit box of a mob, not because of some "intended feature". Essentially, the bug you mention meant that you did not swing at the dead mob, since the hit box (mob) "disappeared" when it died.

Because of a bug related to the hit box of a mob, not because of some "intended feature". Essentially, the bug you mention meant that you did not swing at the dead mob, since the hit box (mob) "disappeared" when it died.

kinda... but i was still swining at a dead mob ;) with no decay... several mobs were like this... dunno if they fixed it

kinda... but i was still swining at a dead mob ;) with no decay... several mobs were like this... dunno if they fixed it

That still doesn't really have anything to do with the discussion though. As I was saying, it is perfectly realistic that melee decays if it hits a mob, no matter if it is dead or alive.

Some bug that means you would not hit the mob when it is dead has nothing to do with that and is a seperate issue.

That still doesn't really have anything to do with the discussion though. As I was saying, it is perfectly realistic that melee decays if it hits a mob, no matter if it is dead or alive.

Some bug that means you would not hit the mob when it is dead has nothing to do with that and is a seperate issue.

seperate issue from what you were trying to talk about in the thread...

but my point was a minor point that you wanted to pick out and carry on about...

though you dont like it... it is still relevant to this thread...
hopefully you can drop it...

Can someone else confirm this?

Sorry for OT

swing you blade in the air... it doesnt decay...

if you miss the hit box... you are effectively swinging in the air... causing no decay ;) you dont need confirmation from anyone else :) i know melee rather well

this one reason i picked melee... because i would miss a lot of mobs hit boxes and it would cost me peddies...

also for PKing... if you use melee u will love it... if you dont hit targets hit box you get no decay...

but with gun u miss you always get decay and ammo burn ;)

Okay thoght you meant miss as in the yellow text, because of the two diffrent in the air and miss hit box. Ty for clarification =)

Okay thoght you meant miss as in the yellow text, because of the two diffrent in the air and miss hit box. Ty for clarification =)

yea there is a system miss... (8% of all swings/shots at lvl 100 or maxed weapons)
then there is a human miss... when u miss the hit box... which is the same as hitting the air... and doesnt cost anything

but with range weapons this would cost u ;)

which is kinda important to know that sometimes mobs movements makes you miss the hit box... which isnt human error... or that annoying mob AI which makes them circle you... melee will be free to miss... range wont be ;p

I want to know what mob you hunt afk, because how long you try to kill that mob if you got the time to kinda go afk on it? And you have certain time to loot that mob so your afk can't be that long then..

But when I read the above posts I have to agree with Joker, because swinging at a dead mob with melee should not give decay, because when the mob is dead the system should turn the hit box into the loot box meaning you would be swinging into thin air..or am I seeing this wrong? If this is correct however then the hit/box loot/box is not adjusted correctly maybe?

Or when you use move to target maybe that is why you get decay? With the auto swing with your sword..

because when the mob is dead the system should turn the hit box into the loot box meaning you would be swinging into thin air..

You would still be swinging at the loot box and the loot box would be the dead mob, meaning you would still be hitting the mob (only now it doesn't have any health left) so it is only realistic that there is decay then :wise:

You would still be swinging at the loot box and the loot box would be the dead mob, meaning you would still be hitting the mob (only now it doesn't have any health left) so it is only realistic that there is decay then :wise:

Burnsey, instead of just negrepping me for this post saying you "disapprove", could you perhaps tell me what you disapprove and why?

What is there to disapprove of in me saying it is realistic that a knife would go blunt if you stab it repeatedly into a slab of meat and that the "alive or not" status doesn't really change that? :scratch2:

Burnsey, instead of just negrepping me for this post saying you "disapprove", could you perhaps tell me what you disapprove and why?

What is there to disapprove of in me saying it is realistic that a knife would go blunt if you stab it repeatedly into a slab of meat and that the "alive or not" status doesn't really change that? :scratch2:

Because the system should not regognize the dead mob with the loot/box on as being a target you can repedeatly stab or swing at with melee and get decay on your melee weapon, it is the hit box that should only have that option the loot box only is to loot that mob and should not have anything to do with still being able to *hit* it even when it is dead. And my opinion is that it is because he has move to target on with auto attack on that melee weapon.

Ofc this is different with guns, but as Joker already stated with melee you don't get decay when swinging into thin air or miss by your own mistake on a mob so it is fairly logic that the swinging at a dead mob should not give decay too.

Another question to OP..
Did you also gain skills when auto slashing the dead mob?

I have to agree with couple people here. Melee does not decay for me if swinging at air etc. It only seems to decay when swinging at mobs and true when mob dies and your still swinging your technically still swinging on that mob and not at the air, have you tested to see if decay still happens if your still swinging when mob is picked up or disappears for laying on ground to long? If decay continues then I would say it is a bug as you would then be swinging in the air.

Probably not good idea to ever start autotool on any attacking device and leave your machine :p unless the attacking device never decays then who cares use it all the time :) Or mob is so big you can actually go watch a movie before the mob dies.

Back