Developer Notes #6

Bertha Bot

Entropia News Fetcher
[h=3]Developer Notes #6[/h]

Greetings Entropians!

We hope that all of you have had an enjoyable and relaxing summer. Despite the lovely European weather, lots of work has been going on behind the scenes here at the MindArk offices this summer.

With this EU Buzz article, we intend to provide a quick update on what the MindArk team has been working on, along with a roadmap for the next couple of releases.

VU 14.3 - Platform Release
The next Version Update, also known as a platform release, is scheduled for early September and will contain many back-end infrastructure upgrades and maintenance (see below for more info). While this update will not contain any new systems or features, it will contain a large number of improvements and fixes to existing systems. Many of the more frequently reported issues have been corrected in this update, including:
  • Fixed an issue with camera shaking and restricted movement when avatars revive at a revival terminal.
  • Disciple progress is now updated correctly when the disciple kicks a mentor and gets a new mentor.
  • The Friends List now updates correctly when adding or removing friends, without requiring a relog.
  • Many issues affecting vehicles and spaceships have been corrected.
  • Lots of clothing and avatar display issues have been corrected.
  • The tiering cost formula for items with cooldown or upload timers (mainly MindForce chips) has been adjusted to bring the costs in balance with other types of items such as weapons and tools.
  • Dozens of other issues have been corrected and bugs squashed.
As usual, a complete list of fixed issues included in the VU will be posted in the Version Update Release Notes on the day of release.

Planet Partner Release
Scheduled for early October, the next Planet Partner release promises to bring lots of exciting new content to your favorite Entropia Universe planet!

Infrastructure Upgrades
Over the past several platform releases in the earlier part of this year, the first components of a major upgrade to the Entropia Universe infrastructure have been implemented. Much of that groundwork has taken place behind the scenes, without much immediately noticeable impact on the end-user experience. Over the summer, the MindArk dev team has been working hard on building and testing the next phase of the infrastructure upgrade project, both software and hardware. Those improvements will be implemented into Entropia Universe in the upcoming platform release, and the final stages will be deployed in the subsequent platform releases during autumn and early winter.

The benefits of this major infrastructure upgrade are many, including:
  • Greater server capacity (simultaneous users).
  • Improved server stability and expandability as the Entropia Universe population grows.
  • More frequent Version Updates.
  • Ability to deploy small hotfixes to clients very quickly.
  • Much shorter downtimes when new Version Updates are released.
In addition, the new infrastructure will allow our developers and partners to spend much more of their time working on new features, systems and content, and improving existing systems, rather than on packaging and delivering Version Updates.

In short, what this means for Entropians is more frequent, feature-rich, and stable updates to Entropia Universe with less downtime and faster implementation of important fixes when needed.

We appreciate your patience and dedication to Entropia Universe over the past few months during the infrastructure upgrade process, and we look forward to completing the final stages so that you can enjoy a much improved Version Update process in the future.

Originally Posted Here

Thanks Bertha :)

Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for the update!

Too bad i just tiered my Arso chip yesterday xD

Regards
Thark

Are we going to see faster tiering of ul items soon?

Wasn't the melee amps update supposed to happen?

Anyway thanks for fixing the revive stuck camera.

• The Friends List now updates correctly when adding or removing friends, without requiring a relog.

This was fixed couple (or so) VU ago already.
Only issue now is that names are added by only middle name and have to be edited to full name in order to distinguish avatars with common middle name. I hope this will be fixed.

The benefits of this major infrastructure upgrade are many, including:
  • Greater server capacity (simultaneous users).
  • Improved server stability and expandability as the Entropia Universe population grows.
  • More frequent Version Updates.
  • Ability to deploy small hotfixes to clients very quickly.
  • Much shorter downtimes when new Version Updates are released.

This sounds great! Indeed we hope for more content development.

If I remember right Kim mentioned (either in interview or in some post) that Chat System will get completely revamped. Will this happen in this next VU?

So, VU next Tuesday, and migration is over...

I think this is working already?
The Friends List now updates correctly when adding or removing friends, without requiring a relog.
Or at least the adding part...

Last edited:
[h=3]Developer Notes #6[/h]
-snip-
In addition, the new infrastructure will allow our developers and partners to spend much more of their time working on new features, systems and content, and improving existing systems, rather than on packaging and delivering Version Updates.

In short, what this means for Entropians is more frequent, feature-rich, and stable updates to Entropia Universe with less downtime and faster implementation of important fixes when needed.

We appreciate your patience and dedication to Entropia Universe over the past few months during the infrastructure upgrade process, and we look forward to completing the final stages so that you can enjoy a much improved Version Update process in the future.

Originally Posted Here

I really hope a huge part of the available extra time is allocated to improving Quality Assurance so players can spend more time enjoying the content instead of performing beta test tasks and submitting support cases for bugs that could and should have been found before the VU got rolled out.

While this update will not contain any new systems or features, it will contain a large number of improvements and fixes to existing systems. Many of the more frequently reported issues have been corrected in this update, including:

[*] Dozens of other issues have been corrected and bugs squashed.
Sounds good: fixing broken stuff instead of bringing in new stuff. (by popular demand?)

[*] Ability to deploy small hotfixes to clients very quickly.

"faster implementation of important fixes when needed."
Does this mean that if things like the summon abuse would happen; it (the technical part) would be quickly fixed, instead of waiting for the next VU?

Thanks, looks promising.

Sounds good: fixing broken stuff instead of bringing in new stuff. (by popular demand?)

Does this mean that if things like the summon abuse would happen; it (the technical part) would be quickly fixed, instead of waiting for the next VU?

Thanks, looks promising.

Well, I would guess so, if they find fail in coding.

YES, YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

This was already fixed no?

It was already fixed

I hope their attempt of improving doesnt turn out in multiple more bugs like its been the case for the past months

Sounds like no change to me :(

We still waiting for the OVERALL tier cost to be reduced and not only the MF chips nobody cares about as you promised for this year

Also, melee amp where supposed to be released as well, that have been forgotten as well?

Bring on repaired black colour and polished chrome. Sounds like a good VU with lots of fixes. :yay:

Many of the more frequently reported issues have been corrected in this update, including:
  • Fixed an issue with camera shaking and restricted movement when avatars revive at a revival terminal.
  • Disciple progress is now updated correctly when the disciple kicks a mentor and gets a new mentor.
  • Many issues affecting vehicles and spaceships have been corrected.
  • Lots of clothing and avatar display issues have been corrected.
  • The tiering cost formula for items with cooldown or upload timers (mainly MindForce chips) has been adjusted to bring the costs in balance with other types of items such as weapons and tools.
  • Dozens of other issues have been corrected and bugs squashed.
As usual, a complete list of fixed issues included in the VU will be posted in the Version Update Release Notes on the day of release.

Planet Partner Release
Scheduled for early October, the next Planet Partner release promises to bring lots of exciting new content to your favorite Entropia Universe planet!

Nice! Thanks for the update!

Also good to know the next release (Scheduled for early October)!

I really really hope this would go out well because it sounds very good, all those new improvements to the infrastructure.

I would love a lag free environment when there are 20 avas in radar
I would love not to jump after revive

Friend list just need to be fixed in order to add full name not just middle

But what intrigues me the most is that this year we had no announcement about tiering speed, are you gonna keep us untill December 25th and the hit us with that update?:)

At least say something even if it's bad news

Can't wait for September to see how the game will run after this update:)

So then I can "trust" that my orginal black boots will be black so I will not have cheated in the 1800 peds, have already lost the 5000 peds last time you made an avatar update.:tapfinger

It may not sound like much but if you have done so with all your active players so would it to be about 6800 x 5000 = 34000000 peds

Last edited:
Doesn't reflect well when an update is mostly fixing things that should of been done correctly to start with.

It's like taking your car to a mechanic and it coming back a different colour, wheels that no longer go round and the steering wheel on the wrong side and months/years later when they fix it your meant to be grateful.

Unless of course its taming which means you don't even get your car back.

I like this informations but this is not my understanding of developer notes - am i wrong?

greetings

I like this informations but this is not my understanding of developer notes - am i wrong?

greetings

Developer Notes #1 said:
This Entropia Universe Buzz article is the first in a new series of Developer Notes where the development team at MindArk will share various tips and bits of information about Entropia Universe with our participants. Some Developer Notes will address important issues that we have noticed being discussed on community forums, while others will be prompted by feedback and questions received via support cases. Our goal with the Developer Notes series is to help participants better understand MindArk's goals for Entropia Universe, and hopefully correct several misconceptions that have arisen within the community that we feel might help participants make more informed decisions for their avatars. We hope that you find the Developer Notes articles interesting and informative....

There's been a lot of discussion about bugs lately, so presumably Note #6 is at least partly in response to that.

Sounds like no change to me :(
Doesn't reflect well when an update is mostly fixing things that should of been done correctly to start with.

It's like taking your car to a mechanic and it coming back a different colour, wheels that no longer go round and the steering wheel on the wrong side and months/years later when they fix it your meant to be grateful.

Unless of course its taming which means you don't even get your car back.

Have you ever coded any complex software? it is nearly impossible to write code completely free of bugs. Also fixing them is pretty annoying, as the functionality is (at least almost) finished and most of all bugs are some special unique use cases...
We should all say a big thanks to all programmers, as their job -for this VU- was very frustrating for sure! :cheer:

secretly i was also hoping for taming, as the last platform content VU was released month ago :saint:
but it seems they had realy something to do and didn't spend the whole day for swivel chair fights.

Also keep in mind there is the moon, that is developed by MA and has to be released in the next few month.

also new deployment methods sounds good, hoping for hotfixes in the future.

signed. its more an Sneak Peak, like before... anyway, its more small minded complaining :D Maybe a MA employee recognized it already too and gave the author a hint for the future :)

So then I can "trust" that my orginal black boots will be black

No that is incorrect.

Some clothing and avatar issues may may be fixed. Which is very different from all clothing and avatar issues will be fixed.

No that is incorrect.

Some clothing and avatar issues may may be fixed. Which is very different from all clothing and avatar issues will be fixed.

Also keep in mind that their version of "fixed" is not always what we would consider a fix.:dunce:

''Greater server capacity (simultaneous users)'' in my opinion this is the most important thing..after so many years....many hunters have big problems with 'failed failed failed' shoots specialy in afternoons when servers are full....and this made many hunters old and medium to give up hunting. I realy salute this update!

Back