Another Scammer wrecks it for the rest of you

Status

SoReal

Stalker
Society
Titans Of Space
Hi
As many of you know , I have been taxxing for a while , so tonight I get a call asking if I can run someone to Arkadia.
Normally I take payment up front but in this case I decided that payment could be made when we arrived as the person promised me 15 ped belkar when we got there and he had previously flown with me .

For the first time I got caught by a scammer . We landed he ran off , then gave me a load of bullshit about pc not working right , lagging , blah blah .

This isnt a case of me worrying about 15 ped its more to do with alerting the community of yet another scammer , this time 15 ped , tommorow 150 ? 1500 ?

Here is the chat log .

2013-12-21 20:23:34 [FROM: ] hi mate can fly with me to arkadia ? :)
2013-12-21 20:24:10 [TO : ] sec pls
2013-12-21 20:26:33 [TO : ] yeah I can take you
2013-12-21 20:26:36 [TO : ] where are you ?
2013-12-21 20:28:16 [FROM: ] i am on crystal palace station you can go to here and go to arkjadia so ?
2013-12-21 20:28:37 [TO : ] ok will come up and get you
2013-12-21 20:29:13 [FROM: ] i am on space calypso station tp
2013-12-21 20:32:49 [TO : ] ok im here
2013-12-21 20:32:55 [TO : ] can you trade me for ticket pls
2013-12-21 20:32:59 [TO : ] 10 ped m8
2013-12-21 20:33:28 [FROM: ] i have here 0 ped but on arkadia strorage i have belkar for 400ped
2013-12-21 20:33:36 [FROM: ] i can give you belkar for 15 ped
2013-12-21 20:33:40 [TO : ] ok
2013-12-21 20:33:46 [TO : ] nps
2013-12-21 20:34:04 [FROM: ] you fly with me 100x later times :)
2013-12-21 20:34:13 [TO : ] yup i will trust you

I have removed his name but will gladly supply it to anyone who asks via PM.
His soc is <removed>

Trust is now gone from me for anyone asking for a "pay later " flight in the future

Last edited by a moderator:
This isnt a case of me worrying about 15 ped its more to do with alerting the community of yet another scammer , this time 15 ped , tommorow 150 ? 1500 ?

Actually its only you whining about beeing scammed because you are not allowed to give us the name anyway...dont trust anybody = problem solved

His soc is <removed>
Last edited by Serica; Today at 00:27. Reason: Rule 2.13 - removed soc name

2.13 - Scamming Accusation
Accusations of "scamming" that name specific Entropia Universe avatars or PlanetCalypsoForum members are NOT permitted. Such threads or posts will be edited, deleted or locked without notice. For more info on the purpose of this rule, please see this thread

Says nothing about Soc names in this rule . :scratch2:

His soc is <removed>
Last edited by Serica; Today at 00:27. Reason: Rule 2.13 - removed soc name

2.13 - Scamming Accusation
Accusations of "scamming" that name specific Entropia Universe avatars or PlanetCalypsoForum members are NOT permitted. Such threads or posts will be edited, deleted or locked without notice. For more info on the purpose of this rule, please see this thread

Says nothing about Soc names in this rule . :scratch2:

So you think that the rule means you can't name him but it's going to be ok to smear the reputation of others in his soc for something that they probably have no idea about ?
Naming his soc is totally unneccesary. If you think his soc should do something about him, contact his soc leader directly.

So you think that the rule means you can't name him but it's going to be ok to smear the reputation of others in his soc for something that they probably have no idea about ?
Naming his soc is totally unneccesary. If you think his soc should do something about him, contact his soc leader directly.

well couldn't she have someone that might be in that society see what he did? then justice could be done after investigation?

I think that the rule means what it says. It mentions nothing about Soc names if it did I wouldnt have posted it.

Sorry to hear.

On a positive note, most players here are trustworthy good citizens. Just a few bad apples, just like real life. Forget it move on, at worst it cost you one dollar. A real taxi in the real world, would've been much more.

All the best with future customers.

Rick

<removed> In the past you were atleast allowed to say the socname....

please pm me the name of the guy and name of soc too so I can look out for this guy and warn the soc if I know them!
Thanks,
Bee

As a pilot, you shouldn't be accepting payment after arrival from anyone you don't have reason to trust. Responsible players rarely leave their peds on another planet. When someone wants to pay on arrival, just assume that it will be a "free rescue" instead of a paid flight and if that's OK with you then it will be a lot less upsetting when they don't pay.

As a pilot, you shouldn't be accepting payment after arrival from anyone you don't have reason to trust. Responsible players rarely leave their peds on another planet. When someone wants to pay on arrival, just assume that it will be a "free rescue" instead of a paid flight and if that's OK with you then it will be a lot less upsetting when they don't pay.

Yup your right of course , im not worried about the piddling ped amount and as he was a previous client I gave him a bit of trust. Live and learn eh.

please pm me the name of the scammer, <removed>

I see no rule about putting which Society the person is in, it at least lets word circulate within the society to stop further possible damage occurring and evicting him/her.

Would alert the Soc leader / Colonels faster too if the opening poster hadn't already contacted one of them.

Last edited:
At least contact the General of his soc to make him aware of his soc members behaviour. Most socs act quickly on socmates who mis behave.

Managed to find this guy and resolve this issue.

Lesson learned , no more pay later flights .

You ought to be asking for half payment up front, and half at time you arrive on planet. Otherwise, if they are actually having computer problems, etc. you might actually get accused of scamming them if you leave the ss they are trying to get to before they log in again, etc.

If trust is an issue, maybe make it all up front, but just know that if you don't get them all safely to the planet they are trying to, it could cause problems for you via the grapevine gossip.

Last edited:

If it's a commercial flight, rather than a rescue of someone who upfront says he's broke and stuck on a planet/space station, one way is to take collateral for the value of the flight.

If it's a miner he could have a finder, refiner or excavator/drill. To make it easy, no high markup item just something whose TT value is close to the flight price.

And if it's someone on CP/old CND wants to go to Arkadia but can't pay, then an option is to bring him to Calypso instead (for free), and then he can find a ride onward from there (maybe for free with, for instance, entropiatransports).

Some socs keep membership private, so naming them may be the only way to alert them.

So we are not allowed to write "biiiip" or what ever that name of that scammer soc is?

Last edited:
I think that the rule means what it says. It mentions nothing about Soc names if it did I wouldnt have posted it.

I agree with that! :thumbup:

either the rule needs updating, or let the soc name be posted!

I'd like to know the name of avatar and soc, feel free to pm me details! :lolup:

So we are not allowed to write <removed> or what ever that name of that scammer soc is?

It is not a scammer soc :rolleyes: just one rouge member who never paid for a flight, but is now resolved :)

I am sure there has been times where many of us have had one particular member of a soc step out of line,heck I know I have! It is human nature, doesn't have any reflection on the soc unless they don't deal with it. However in this case it was resolved between the two avatars before such action would be needed :)

I am glad you got it paid in the end Soreal, that will teach you for hanging around on caly doing mm ;) :laugh:

I'm actually with Serica on her overmodding for this thread. SoReal blatantly labeled the guy a scammer, but look, he paid anyway after his (pc lag, etc.) was fixed and SoReal was able to find the guy.

That's happened to me once, a guy said he'd pay me later, logged off, 3 days later he logs on, I didn't remove him from FL or overreact, and he paid me + bonus.

Yes there are scammers on EU, but I think most people on EU are trustworthy. When people give "excuses", why would you assume they aren't always lies.

Some socs keep membership private, so naming them may be the only way to alert them.

The soc leader's name is always shown on the soc terminal.

In any case, there are other several ways that SoReal could have attempted to make the soc leader aware of the issue, rather than posting the soc name on the forum in conjunction with a 'scam' allegation.

Note here that there was no scam - just a communication issue which ended in the matter being resolved between the two of people.
And yet we still have people like silas talking about a 'scammer soc' !

How do you think the other members of that soc feel about having their soc reputation smeared like that ?

Personally, I see it as a matter of natural justice - a simple corrollary of Rule 2.13 - to not name the soc in such allegations. Not all players are members of this forum, and I guess that might be particularly the case for a nationality-based soc where English isn't the nation's native language (and there's quite a lot of those in EU).

I've therefore asked 711 to consider whether Rule 2.13 should be changed to specifically exclude the naming of socs, as well as the avatar/member's name, in such allegations.

:locked:

Status
Back