State of the Universe Address 2016

Wouldn't fret about the authentication system.

MA used the word "gradually". Considering updates that they deem urgent and immediate regularly land in the "years" time scale, I wouldn't expect the GC to be phased out before 2020.

Spot on! I almost started a thread once on MA vocabulary translated to RL timescales - we could still do that ;).

Also back to positive: of course thanks for actually providing an address for us to have our opinions on.
The repeated timelines on Compet and beta hopefully mean we really get to test it in just a matter of weeks, possibly with proper connections to EU via stables and other unknowns...

Space

Later in the year, we will turn our primary focus to the development of content and systems for space. Some of the space projects on our radar include:

Galactic transport & space missions.

Space vessels - improved balance, modules, upgrades and new ship classes.
PVE space content, including new space creatures.
Improved PVP space gameplay and balance.

Very nice...i hope that happen in 2016 and not in 2026...:yay:

Faceof is Dynamic...:thumbup:
Faceof...:cool:

App is fine if that's what you want but they need to keep the old GC system too.

I'm another one who doesn't have a phone or tablet, and don't want to buy one regardless of the price.

An app to authorize to login is great news. For people like me that already use an app to authorize login and payments from my bank I'm not that worried.....:silly2:

Having an authorization app for those who dare to trust it is fine, but a complete replacement of the hardware solution? I'm not excited. I once changed my bank irl when they did the same.

Yes I am not sure I trust it. Look at Mt Gox and Cyyptsy, they had 2 factor and they are both bust after being hacked.

So let me get this straight.....

Gold card that has never ever ever ever been compromised.....so lets change it????? :scratch2:

Rgds

Ace

You can tell that to the people that were locked out of their account for weeks because their gold cards became "un-synced".. most dropped them due to this.. Oh, and yes, this is still happening.

Hard token systems went the way of the dinosaur many years back in most other systems including VPN systems. Time to get into the 21st Century..

And nothing about stables, we are still stuck with only a claimmarker :mad:

All sounds good but they forgot to give us some needed information about the up coming president of VR?

There is nothing there to make me feel more positive about the future, and if you genuinely believe that a 10% increase in overall spending is "evidence of a vibrant virtual economy", there may be no hope left.

Interesting indeed, thank MA for some info.

"Further expansion of the Taming system will continue in 2016, including potential tie-ins with the upcoming ComPet project detailed below."

MA has been very careful how they've worded this address, little clues to satisfy many people, but not too much to give the game away.

So I take it from this that current pets are not going into Compet by the live date, although they're looking into it for potential development.

Well I'm not too worried about that, as expansion of the taming system and potential battles will come to EU as well I sure. It means everyone at compet beta starts the same I guess....fair enough.

At least MA have made it clear they're continuing with taming system tis year...and that covers a lot of bases.

Pleased to hear about new space ships on the way, this is exciting. That sounds like a big overhaul of the system to me.

Land plots and harvesting are interesting, I still don't believe MA will give something away for nothing. I think this is purely a construction of buildings tie-in, and buildings need materials.

I have concerns about gold card of course like everyone else, although I don't see how MA would leave us open to major risks. I login to my RL bank with multiple levels of security with no card, and no problems.

Rick

[...]

Security
MindArk is developing a new two-factor authentication system that will gradually replace the Gold Card Security System currently in use. This new system will be released as an app for popular mobile platforms for all Entropia Universe participants.!

[...]

Please tell me that this is a joke?

As many others I'm not interested in using app for secure login. It is way too vulnerable.

If you wanna to do an app authentication then do it but only as an alternative, in no way connected to GC.

I don't wanna lose all my assets because somebody will disassemble your app and find an algorithm for code generation that could compromise GC users.

I guarantee you that I will withdraw all my assets from EU if only option will be app authentication.

I'm still stuck with 10 CLD's to claim a plot with.
Are they going to release more plots, or is that it now?

As to the App, I really don't mind either way, but prefer the gold Card.

Reference replacement of the Gold Cards, why change what isn't broken?

So now Gold card come's with a smartphone? If Mindark can prove a non existence of malware in my smartphone anytime i use them app i will be ok with it, if NOT i do NOT allow a security system like this to my account, if security rules change against my will, i do not feel safe to have an account anymore and will result in my sellout.

The Gold Card system need a redesign for something smaller, not a replacement.

Last edited:
I was wondering if it's a move to fight alt account... :laugh:

I was wondering if it's a move to fight alt account... :laugh:
Nowhere is said that using the app will be mandatory, but that's a good thinking, even though it won't work. One can run the app in any number of android emulator instances, or even invest in cheap android phones, if one's alts make them money in EU.

Reference replacement of the Gold Cards, why change what isn't broken?

Because it's so great to not need a reader and Card. I used to have a card reader and by bank card to login to my bank and do my payment, now I can use my tablet or phone to do it. It's the future. But I can agree they should make it optional for a period before they kill down the card readers/Gold Cards.

Nothing about the promised functionality of stables, guess we'll have to wait till after space gets it's update :dunno:
Harmony, you have to sell your pets, hihi :)
//Rapido

There is nothing there to make me feel more positive about the future, and if you genuinely believe that a 10% increase in overall spending is "evidence of a vibrant virtual economy", there may be no hope left.

I know what you mean, does this 10% also include all the explosive BP crafting and strong boxes being bought from the web shop?

I have to admit the removal of the gold card isn't great for those using a mobile platform that MA doesn't support which so far with the crafting app that's IOS and Windows. What happens if it doesn't work on the android version installed on particular phones.

It's also reinventing the wheel with MS and Google already providing similar systems on all the major platforms and it won't take much effort to integrate their systems while leaving the GC in place for those who want to keep using it. Give an option in the account to choose the security method.

It could also be being forced upon them if the developers of the GC are stopping production of the chip or unit or they view it as an expense they don't need having to post them world wide and deal with broken units. My GC is getting on for 8-9 years old but it's still working most of the time ;)

Last edited:
You can't hack a GC, you can hack an app.

If they did something via text message, like google and outlook.com, ie we just texted you a code to access. Then i would be a little happier....but a f**king app?

I would not trust that. Too much money in game to risk.

This would be a game changer for me.

Rgds

Ace

correct,it will make me sell out and withdraw all

most be removing the gold card so as to integrate closer in to the compet and android stuff? Wonder if it'll all happen at once or it'll be a phased thing that is done over time.

most be removing the gold card so as to integrate closer in to the compet and android stuff? Wonder if it'll all happen at once or it'll be a phased thing that is done over time.

Operative word: gradual.

Well formed state of the Union address. Reflection and projection and staying high level.

To everyone getting in a tiff about the gold cards. Pretty sure mindark isn't creating the app. Software is getting very high tech for such authenticators including fingerprints and facial scans. I don't expect them to do a full replacement but rather giving the option. Take blizzard for example, you can get both.

Relax.

Overall a good address in my opinion.... although the phone app thing kind of scares the shit out of me. Sure my bank offers a phone app too but they are legally obligated to ensure the safety of my money and will move heaven and earth to fix any problem, simply because they have too.... Mindark on the other hand has a kind of "no returns" policy in place on basically everything which dosnt inspire confidence knowing how easy it is to gain root access on a phone remotely.

On the topic of the economy, its really great to see Entropia growing at 10%, hopefully we can keep that rate going or increasing in 2016!

- Jonas

I'm pretty excited about the authentication app.

I play from a couple of locations and its always a pain in the ass when i leave my GC behind, but my phone is with me always.

I've used app based authenticates for quite a few other things already and I've never had it hacked or had any other issues with it. I have had issues with my GC reader going flat, breaking, stopped working etc.

But maybe I'm just the minority.

Overall i think this was a good state of the universe address :wtg:

:mad:

I'm against any apps for autorisation, so I'll need to withdraw almost all money out, if there will be only app autorisation, without GC service.

Reasons:
1. I do not have any android or ios portable device. I do not have plans to buy it. Maybe I never buy it, if it will be possible.
2. I do not trust any application for autorisation, except SMS-service (like client bank).

I can accept new system only If new MA server application would send me SMS (directly to my mobile phone number)

In all other cases (without Gold Card) my choice will be almost full withdraw. I can't trust to any other security system.

Ok MA, your statement will completely kill EU... noone will trust to phone app more than to $100

Last edited:
I wonder what else we will be harvesting. Fish perhaps?

ah fuck no..dont end the goldcards,i dont have an mobile and never will :(

I hate to agree with you, but me too with the mobile fone. MA said gradually so I prolly won't member when is implemented. Gradually in MA years? 2550 or so in the year of our Lord?

I'm pretty excited about the authentication app.

I play from a couple of locations and its always a pain in the ass when i leave my GC behind, but my phone is with me always.

I've used app based authenticates for quite a few other things already and I've never had it hacked or had any other issues with it. I have had issues with my GC reader going flat, breaking, stopped working etc.

But maybe I'm just the minority.

Overall i think this was a good state of the universe address :wtg:

I hate when my GC reader works fine for over 11 years and then just fails to do it's job! It's like a betrayal! and if the reader failed me.... the gold card itself is plotting too, it just makes sense!

well it does :p

Back