Face to face with the President of Virtual Reality - Eurogamer.net

as you seem to be a highly professional software engineer why dont you come up with some arguments instead of empty phrases?

For the last time, why should I? And why argue with you, out of all? I find it interesting what he's trying to achieve and if I have any concrete ideas I'll let him know directly. This is my last communication on the matter.

For the last time, why should I? And why argue with you, out of all? I find it interesting what he's trying to achieve and if I have any concrete ideas I'll let him know directly. This is my last communication on the matter.

okay as you dont have any pro-argument ill let you know some con-arguments:

first of all you would need to use the same game engine when you wane to be able to "teleport" into another game.
as the big names of the business like blizzard, valve or EA cant even come together onto 1 gaming platform and everyone uses their own launcher with shop etc id say its very highly unlikely for them to use the same game engine ever. which is a good thing because many of them suck balls anyway so you can pick the few games with good engines and play them.

next thing is when he says teleport your avatar over it would mean that you dont just re-use the appearence. that would mean using your skill progress etc. as well which means they dont even have to use the same engine, it would need to have the same stats base as well which will never ever happen as you cant just "merge" those into another game. impossible and useless.

and he wants to make a billion jobs? i mean come on. nobody can be that pathetic to believe he will emply 0 to 15% of earths population lol.

as you dont have counter arguments i consider this done and leave ND to his ridiculousness.

first of all you would need to use the same game engine when you wane to be able to "teleport" into another game.
as the big names of the business like blizzard, valve or EA cant even come together onto 1 gaming platform and everyone uses their own launcher with shop etc id say its very highly unlikely for them to use the same game engine ever. which is a good thing because many of them suck balls anyway so you can pick the few games with good engines and play them.

next thing is when he says teleport your avatar over it would mean that you dont just re-use the appearence. that would mean using your skill progress etc. as well which means they dont even have to use the same engine, it would need to have the same stats base as well which will never ever happen as you cant just "merge" those into another game. impossible and useless.

and he wants to make a billion jobs? i mean come on. nobody can be that pathetic to believe he will emply 0 to 15% of earths population lol.

as you dont have counter arguments i consider this done and leave ND to his ridiculousness.

I don't think it was nds idea, not initially anyway.

The idea isn't to use the same games engine but using same stats across games. Not all the stats need to be utilised in any particular game. So it's about transferring stats between games more than anything which is achievable.

The interview explained all this quite well.

To every problem there is a solution...

Reactions: San
I don't think it was nds idea, not initially anyway.

The idea isn't to use the same games engine but using same stats across games. Not all the stats need to be utilised in any particular game. So it's about transferring stats between games more than anything which is achievable.

The interview explained all this quite well.

To every problem there is a solution...

same stats at least in some kind needs the same engine.

for example you want to use your intelligence from EU in WoW with an easy "teleport". that means both stats need to have the same variable name at first to be acknowledgable by the other game. then the mechanics behind the use of this variable has to be the same. for example in wow 8k intelligence (random number) will be quite low while 8k intelligence in EU is ridiculous. so all the games that would support this would have to be standardized in so many ways that its hardly achievable.

and what about different genres? there is close to zero similarities in skills between EU and WoW. the genres are too different.

this is just the technical point of view though. the next point of view would be the marketing pov. why would a publisher, with all his microtransactions and stuff want to share avatars across enemy publishers? they would probably lose gametime of the players. for example in game A the leveling is more fun and in game B the endgame is more fun. the player could now level up all the time in game A and then switch to game B. i think neither of those companys would be happy about it. there is absolutely no use for them to share players

How about headlines.... No State of the Universe Address 2018? Or “No road map for 2018?”

@Me Really Never yours points are answered already in the article

How about headlines.... No State of the Universe Address 2018? Or “No road map for 2018?”

Good question. Makes me wonder if MA are not developing the game anymore and just concentrating efforts on compet. Which would be a shame...

There's been no developments recently on anything, space was about 7 years ago, we had the land plots couple of years ago apart from that not much new.

There's been no developments recently on anything, space was about 7 years ago, we had the land plots couple of years ago apart from that not much new.

Mmkay, we got Loot 2.0, armour system change, a large graphics overhaul, and a complete new game-in-game called BatSim. All this doesn't take away from the communication failures and total oblivion regarding most earlier promises and announcements. They chose to surprise us instead.

Space is a really sore point, but I suspect that still nobody has a bright idea how it actually should be -- plenty of input from players, but lacking a grand vision in HQ, so to speak. If they ever scheduled time to worry about it, I don't know. I really hope they don't do themselves in at last with this crypto adventure. A hopeful CEO gone into complete hiding, I don't like it at all.

Well I have to disagree here!

Doesn´t need to be on same engine, what you would need as a user is both engines installed at your client.

What the game designers would need is a compatible database, so the skills and stats can be merged, this not only for avatars also for items. This is the main problem!
How do you want to merge a laser sniper rifle into a fantasy role play game.
Well still possible! Its a ranged weapon that does mainly burn DMG, so if you telport from EU into WoW your laser rifle becomes a fire bow. Teleporting back, the fire bow becomes a laser rifle.

With a lot of work, databases could be adjusted and the merge routine could do it all. The loading process for such cross game teleport could take a while, the more items you own the longer it would take, but not impossible to do.

I wouldn´t say its not doable, just a lot of work and game designers would need to work together to generate compatible data base for items and avatars.

The engine used doesn´t matter at all, as it can just be loaded clientside when you use cross game teleport.

The idea iteself is awesome, but unlikely to happen for some reasons, and the main reason is money!

Each game developer want to make money, weather by monthly subscriptions or by premium things sold.
What would it mean for game developer when high end player comes to his game and has everything without paying a dime? NO income, just because other game developer already earned the money this player invested to develop his avatar.

So the real problem isn´t the technical issus, the real problem is the money the game developers want to earn!

Even worse considering a cross game teleport from a subscription based game into a RCE game.
Consider some WoW high end player teleports into EU, sells out and withdraw all the PEDs made, MA would go bankrupt in no time :)

Thats why it won´t work!

Even worse considering a cross game teleport from a subscription based game into a RCE game.
Consider some WoW high end player teleports into EU, sells out and withdraw all the PEDs made, MA would go bankrupt in no time :)

Thats why it won´t work!

There is a simple solution to those kinds of issues. Games developers could turn off item transfer completely or selectively. So for Wow players coming in Entropia could mean they can only transfer their avatar and not any items as MA would have turned off item transfer. It's same for stats that a game may use differently, stats transfer could be selectively turned off or moderated in some way.

Well I have to disagree here!

Doesn´t need to be on same engine, what you would need as a user is both engines installed at your client.

What the game designers would need is a compatible database, so the skills and stats can be merged, this not only for avatars also for items. This is the main problem!
How do you want to merge a laser sniper rifle into a fantasy role play game.
Well still possible! Its a ranged weapon that does mainly burn DMG, so if you telport from EU into WoW your laser rifle becomes a fire bow. Teleporting back, the fire bow becomes a laser rifle.

With a lot of work, databases could be adjusted and the merge routine could do it all. The loading process for such cross game teleport could take a while, the more items you own the longer it would take, but not impossible to do.

I wouldn´t say its not doable, just a lot of work and game designers would need to work together to generate compatible data base for items and avatars.

The engine used doesn´t matter at all, as it can just be loaded clientside when you use cross game teleport.

The idea iteself is awesome, but unlikely to happen for some reasons, and the main reason is money!

Each game developer want to make money, weather by monthly subscriptions or by premium things sold.
What would it mean for game developer when high end player comes to his game and has everything without paying a dime? NO income, just because other game developer already earned the money this player invested to develop his avatar.

So the real problem isn´t the technical issus, the real problem is the money the game developers want to earn!

Thats why it won´t work!

there is another solution (and I believe is more close to ND idea), you can move your char from a virtual world to another and use your account/avatar name ....tokens (equal value of skills) and ND coins/ethereal/bitcoins :) no need to transfer gear that way. The devs can get a share of tp fee each time you move.

I think something else that people are missing is that you can't just transfer stats...all you need is a loophole in one game that players can exploit to pretty much ruin all other games connected.

You can't even just have your avatar transfer across as not everyone has the same type of avatars. You could be human in one game, robot in another or an alien with tentacles everywhere. Great way to ruin immersion in games.

To have accounts linked and all that, essentially that is what steam does, and developers have their own ones like Ubisoft and Blizzard. Having some sort of cross with all the big developers...well that would take a lot of incentive to those developers and just saying people wont play your games if your not connected is not true. Small companies, sure that would be incentive enough, but big companies that spend millions on advertising, they don't need it.

I seem to remember the weirdest movie I ever saw. Franz Kafka's The Castle. If we send a reporter into this place presided by our neverdie do you think it will be the same?

You can't even just have your avatar transfer across as not everyone has the same type of avatars. You could be human in one game, robot in another or an alien with tentacles everywhere. Great way to ruin immersion in games.

ND addressed this in the article with this quote:
"You may have to use their avatar creation system but all of the skills, everything you've developed, is inside your wallet because it's yours - it doesn't belong to World of Warcraft."

It would be up to the developers on how much data they would read from your wallet to transfer over.

Yeah but if they only take a faction of the stats in my wallet it defeats the purpose of that system. Also, in one game 10 agility could mean youre pretty agile and nimble while other games dash out agility of 8k and more. To make ND's idea work the whole gaming industry need to center around his idea - not gonna happen. Even if the miracle happen and this would work out, it would take smurfing on a new level. You spend a decade to become grand master in EU , some wow dude might just become your competetion with the stats from a charakter he spend a few months developing. How would you feel if some random guy can create a high skilled EU avatar out of nothing for a few whatever token and start chipping out his skills right away ?

Also whats in for the company that go trough all the trouble to support this ? At worst companies would start to unify skills and stats in their games making it even more linear and boring as it is allready. Neverdies ideas are my personal virtual dystopia and i hope they will never work out.

You spend a decade to become grand master in EU , some wow dude might just become your competetion with the stats from a charakter he spend a few months developing. How would you feel if some random guy can create a high skilled EU avatar out of nothing for a few whatever token and start chipping out his skills right away ?
Each game can decide how to scale each imported number. Technically, the idea seems not very difficult to manage. It also doesn't mean all skills will need to be unified across all games. Each one can import what's compatible and ignore the rest. I've worked with mapping between different data sets organized in tree structures before, basically you need to create a mapping between ontologies. There is inevitable fuzziness where each receiving side would implement its checks and balances. It's a little bit also like translating languages, if the cultures are too different there will be parts which are unintelligible. In the context of our games, these would simply not be needed.

But you're right as well as the other skeptics, getting all those companies to agree is the hard part. I'm also doubtful the approach with "avatar rights" as if they were human rights is going to fly, at least not as the only leverage. It's a very leftist way of thinking, and I actually believe he is enough of a businessman to know better and assume they're working on that. There needs to be a demonstrable business advantage, then you can pitch the idea to them.

But you're right as well as the other skeptics, getting all those companies to agree is the hard part.

Amen. What will likely happen and how it'll play out is somebody will create an opensource alternative that a few indy developers pick up and eventually it'll become an industry standard, etc. You can hope ND would be behind that but based on track records, well... hmm...

Unification (avatar stats and skills across all games) could work in theory providing all games are based on same rule set like D&D

Thats why it won´t work!

How would MA go bankrupt? Someone has to put the peds in to buy those skills. MA get's their cut both from the person depositing and the one withdrawing... I think they would be behind it 100%.

The only thing this would do is make skill value drop.

Trouble I see is Neverdie is the most egotistical self centred person I think ive ever come across.

No one likes that, it is not a quality off a good leader

If he cant see why no one seems to like him that makes him even more of a douche bag.

If i was MA i would have cut him loose too lol

Bingo! Well noticed :)

Back