Dead ship flies

Alainax

Elite
Bonnie
Has anyone else came across this recently? Trying to gauge if it’s a know bug/hack.

I shot down the pirate ship, Ship destroyed, destroyed message in chat, red bar etc. Ship does not relocate to space station as it normally would. Shortly thereafter the pilot renters pilot seat and flies the “dead” ship. Still red bar, unable to be shot as it’s “dead”

It’s all very piratey, ghost ships and all!

a53bb3ff-51c6-4e1a-afdd-3e189a12afcf.jpeg

If it happens just once it could be a bug, but if it happens repeatedly with same people then it becomes an exploit.
Interesting it was a pirate operated ship... was the pirates that exploited the 'ship ghosting' after a short warp during space battles a few years ago.

But I agree it should be reported to MA, as if a bug and it gets fixed then exploiting it fails too. I am sure MA would check in any case to see if was done deliberately or frequently

If it happens just once it could be a bug, but if it happens repeatedly with same people then it becomes an exploit.
Interesting it was a pirate operated ship... was the pirates that exploited the 'ship ghosting' after a short warp during space battles a few years ago.

But I agree it should be reported to MA, as if a bug and it gets fixed then exploiting it fails too. I am sure MA would check in any case to see if was done deliberately or frequently

Apparently, (according to the pirate) it happened the previous time he was killed recently by Normandie too. He claims he was trapped for 24 hours, and was going to report us for imprisoning him ;) Either way it needs sorted, although we are not quite sure just how much the ghost ship is capable of.

Has there been any word of similar happening with other ships? Might be worth a test to see if we can replicate it, and yes MA are aware.

I have seen it twice so far with same ship and pirate in the last few days, since he hunts dropships just like we do, we likely will test it another time tonight and keep you posted ;)
He seems to time the logout to be shortly before ship destruction and logs back in into the destroyed ship having control to pilot.
My assumption so far is that he is tied to the seat in which he logs out, if he had logged while being inside he likely would have been stuck inside - so by logging in the pilot seat he continues to be able to fly but cant repair - question being if he can gain pilot skill from flying a destroyed ship into mobs.

Another question would be how long Mindark wants to leave bugs in place where people can hunt in pvp with invulnerability mode while other have to hunt at risk...they know about this apparently for some time.

Last edited:
I have seen it twice so far with same ship and pirate in the last few days, since he hunts dropships just like we do, we likely will test it another time tonight and keep you posted ;)
He seems to time the logout to be shortly before ship destruction and logs back in into the destroyed ship having control to pilot.
My assumption so far is that he is tied to the seat in which he logs out, if he had logged while being inside he likely would have been stuck inside - so by logging in the pilot seat he continues to be able to fly but cant repair - question being if he can gain pilot skill from flying a destroyed ship into mobs.

Another question would be how long Mindark wants to leave bugs in place where people can hunt in pvp with invulnerability mode while other have to hunt at risk...they know about this apparently for some time.

One more addition:
The reason this is happening has always been the same since space release in 2011 - the inside and outside of the ship go out of sync because they are on different servers. And the quickfix to this has usually always been a serverreset of the respective space server. One would think that mindark could come up with a respawn solution for spaceships that puts them back in sync without restarting the server - if they had done so 7 years ago they probably would have saved hundreds of serverresets, thousands of avatar relocations and even more support cases - talk about ressources wasted over time.
I reported in all detail all those synchronisation bugs back in 2011/2012.

I've just realised the thread title sounds like I am talking about ship flies dying. Bugs everywhere! :laugh:

Maybe the pirate is Dutch.. then it's all very possible.

Muhahaha The Flying Dutchman!

Maybe the pirate is Dutch.. then it's all very possible.

Muhahaha The Flying Dutchman!

I was asking that exact question this morning! What was the ghost ship in pirates of the Caribbean lol!

I've just realised the thread title sounds like I am talking about ship flies dying. Bugs everywhere! :laugh:

Hiya, long time no see! Greetings to you and the troopers!
Problems with flies and flying reminds me of the problems an AI translation algorithm had with the sentence:
Time flies like an arrow.
It decided that time was an adjective for flies, like 'day' in day job, and that 'like' was the verb, and decided the sentence had to mean something like: Time-flies enjoy an arrow every now and again.

Cherish the times when we can smugly look at AI and think we are a whole lot smarter... ;)

Hiya, long time no see! Greetings to you and the troopers!
Problems with flies and flying reminds me of the problems an AI translation algorithm had with the sentence:
Time flies like an arrow.
It decided that time was an adjective for flies, like 'day' in day job, and that 'like' was the verb, and decided the sentence had to mean something like: Time-flies enjoy an arrow every now and again.

Cherish the times when we can smugly look at AI and think we are a whole lot smarter... ;)
Lovely to hear from you! Hope you are well :)

Love that story, the right mix of humour and intellect! Yes I fear those days won’t be around for much longer, at least we can still reminisce.
If you want to have a thrill, visit "de efteling" in the Netherlands.. there you can actually get on it..

https://www.efteling.com/en/park/attractions/de-vliegende-hollander

Now that’s my type of excursion!

If he was hunting dropships and it seems he does this regularly, was he really a pirate then?

Unsubstantiated allegation as to what he is. Assumption as to what he does re this maybe exploit.

If he was hunting dropships and it seems he does this regularly, was he really a pirate then?

Unsubstantiated allegation as to what he is. Assumption as to what he does re this maybe exploit.

I don't think ErnestJ would deny being a pirate! You will note the purpose of the thread it to establish if it was something new, or a known bug/hack that other ships are also facing upon being destroyed or whilst in battle.

logging out is not a bug!

it's a feature! :laugh:

Couldn't bother to read the whole thread. But, could it be an effect of a hdna pill?

Alainax I have noted the purpose of this thread, and I do assume that you have reported your concerns to MA.
I have no doubt they are looking into the matter and maybe the more people who report this activity to them the speedier they will act.

I also note that you have referred to a player as a pirate, and that you have assumed you know the workings of his evil pirate mind in that he would be happy with that accusation.

Maybe we will see whether ErnestJ agrees with you and confesses that he is actually a pirate, or whether he feels he has been wrongly accused. Its not like accusations of this nature have ever been made before.

Alainax I have noted the purpose of this thread, and I do assume that you have reported your concerns to MA.
I have no doubt they are looking into the matter and maybe the more people who report this activity to them the speedier they will act.

I also note that you have referred to a player as a pirate, and that you have assumed you know the workings of his evil pirate mind in that he would be happy with that accusation.

Maybe we will see whether ErnestJ agrees with you and confesses that he is actually a pirate, or whether he feels he has been wrongly accused. Its not like accusations of this nature have ever been made before.

Ernestas aka Goldy taxi goblin aka Monica aka ErnestJ has always been a pirate and a multi. Goblin used to bring passengers to the edge of space where he switched to ernestJ to loot them. A few of his multies got banned from this forum, because they used the same ip. (All of this can be found in here)
There is no secret, everybody knows ernestJ is a pirate.

Last edited:
... snip

:lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup:

Your not serious are you .

A bit tongue in cheek but to an extent I was. See I do not know ErnestJ & I have never had any dealings with him.

There would be other players in the same situation as me. From what has been posted here - he really sounds a evil sack of shit - then again you know him I don't. And, I am placed in the position of who do I believe?

I get a bit fed up with all the He said She said stuff after a while.

Just report it all to MA with screenshots if possible

PS OK I would tend to believe Spawn from what he posted in his edit. So the Pirate ErnestJ known n2 everyone else but me
\

A bit tongue in cheek but to an extent I was. See I do not know ErnestJ & I have never had any dealings with him.

There would be other players in the same situation as me. From what has been posted here - he really sounds a evil sack of shit - then again you know him I don't. And, I am placed in the position of who do I believe?

I get a bit fed up with all the He said She said stuff after a while.

Just report it all to MA with screenshots if possible

PS OK I would tend to believe Spawn from what he posted in his edit. So the Pirate ErnestJ known n2 everyone else but me
\

Before you went all 'highborn' about who is accused of what - i think noone in this thread even named the player in question - so there was no accusation.
But to be clear we will call every avatar who is member of a known and established pirate soc their rightfull 'title' - who are we to take away titles from people who spent years 'working hard' to rightfully obtain them ;)

If a ship is destroyed in pvp and there is no one on board to hear it, does it really blow up?

No, no it does not.

There is a bug where if a Mothership or Privateer is left in pvp, with no one online or on board at the time of the explosion, the ship will get stuck in an endless loop in that place of space and will not be recalled to the nearest Space Station.
If you log onto a Mothership ship after it was destroyed, with no one on board, everything looks to be intact but the repair points are all red and you can not use the televators to access other areas of the ship. You can access the chair but when you do, you will see the ship's explosion, over and over again.
You can however repair these points back to life but unless someone else logs into the other area of the ship to repair the remaining stations, the ship will remain in that state until a support case is made. If you press T you will be kicked out of the ship and sent to nearest space station revival.
If you are in the hangar when you log, you can fly out and watch the ship explode behind you, but can not gain access back into the wreckage of the ship once you leave.

Privateers are a little different as there is only the one area to access all the repair points and can be restored with ease.
The pilot in the ghost ship would of been aware of this.

MA is aware of this and as JBK has mentioned, it most likely has to do with there being a different outer and inner server for the ship.

Geo

Last edited:
If a ship is destroyed in pvp and there is no one on board to hear it, does it really blow up?

No, no it does not.

There is a bug where if a mothership is left in pvp, with no one online or on board at the time of the explosion, the ship will get stuck in an endless loop in that place of space and will not be recalled to the nearest Space Station.
If you log onto the ship after it was destroyed, with no one on board, everything looks to be intact but the repair points are all red and you can not use the televators to access other areas of the ship. You can access the chair but when you do, you will see the ship's explosion, over and over again.
You can however repair these points back to life but unless someone else logs into the other area of the ship to repair the remaining stations, the ship will remain in that state until a support case is made. If you press T you will be kicked out of the ship and sent to nearest space station revival.

Privateers are a little different as there is only the one area to access all the repair points.
The pilot in the ghost ship would of been aware of this.

MA is aware of this and as JBK has mentioned, it most likely has to do with there being a different outer and inner server for the ship.

Geo

The described issue with motherships will actually effect privateers too, but to my knowledge its not so much related to the ship being destroyed with noone onboard and more related to if the ship is close to a server border. If a ship gets destroyed while crossing a border (or shortly thereafter) it can get stuck just the way you described.
Fixing the repairpoints inside will not help to restore the ship even if you can manage to repair them all as they are out of sync with the outside and only if the ship is recognized on inside and outside server as dead it can respawn.

Basically an easy enough issue if mindark would ask one programmer to add a checkpoint in the source code to update the inside to status:destroyed if the outside server SI reaches 0 and to update the outside to status:destroyed if the inside server SI reaches 0 on any one section.

Since the spacecraft inside areas are likely located on some calypso server (as i pointed out based on correlated disconnection issues of groups of players in some forum thread many years ago) there actually never should be any issues with people getting stuck - just give an emergency teleporter/revive connection for the case that ship in and outside go out of sync to one of the planets revives/tps or choose a completely new emergency space revive to take action when desync happens and never have to relocate space players again.
Put a selfdestruct button on the inside with a timer (eg. 10min) to allow spacecraft owners to blow up the inside and have the ship revive 'reunited' at the nearest spacestation.

Reactions: Geo
The described issue with motherships will actually effect privateers too, but to my knowledge its not so much related to the ship being destroyed with noone onboard and more related to if the ship is close to a server border. If a ship gets destroyed while crossing a border (or shortly thereafter) it can get stuck just the way you described.
Fixing the repairpoints inside will not help to restore the ship even if you can manage to repair them all as they are out of sync with the outside and only if the ship is recognized on inside and outside server as dead it can respawn.

Basically an easy enough issue if mindark would ask one programmer to add a checkpoint in the source code to update the inside to status:destroyed if the outside server SI reaches 0 and to update the outside to status:destroyed if the inside server SI reaches 0 on any one section.

Since the spacecraft inside areas are likely located on some calypso server (as i pointed out based on correlated disconnection issues of groups of players in some forum thread many years ago) there actually never should be any issues with people getting stuck - just give an emergency teleporter/revive connection for the case that ship in and outside go out of sync to one of the planets revives/tps or choose a completely new emergency space revive to take action when desync happens and never have to relocate space players again.
Put a selfdestruct button on the inside with a timer (eg. 10min) to allow spacecraft owners to blow up the inside and have the ship revive 'reunited' at the nearest spacestation.

I like the idea of a self-destruct button.. :evilking:
or even a staircase connecting the hangar deck with the command/reactor/propulsion area.
But there should be an easy fix to this as you have mentioned.

I don't have any experience with ships being destroyed as they cross server boundaries, but I would assume this could create a similar scenario with assets not being allocated to the new server fast enough that the ship had just loaded into?

In any case, the bug I mentioned is tested true and is known by certain pirates.
I have record of a pirate openly admitting to camping the wreckage of my ship for more than 3hrs after they blew it up in a training grounds, waiting for someone to login and fly out of the wreckage or for the ship to get a sliver of repair in so they could 1 shot the ship killing all inside.

This is true for Privateers as well, but the repair points are all in the same area so the ship can be restored, with little difficulty, if there is only 1 person on board. But if they press T and revive at the space station, they would have to open a support case unless someone else logs in on their privateer to repair.

If the pilot in the Privateer had time to log out before you destroy it, when they log back in, after it is destroyed, when there was no one on board, the above 'ghost ship' is the outcome and will remain that way until they restore the repair points.

*This is a real log out exploit

Geo

Last edited:
What's actually hilarious is nobody in this forum thread has the slightest idea what they are talking about.

�������� You'd think with spending enough time in space you would know just as much as the pierats do. Tut tut. Get out of your space ships and do some testing of your own. Nubs.

Oh wow...

By all means report anything that is suspicious...

This bug has been reported by us the "Pirates" and the other Side? (got a name yet?)
This bug has impacted us a lot in the past, most recent to my memory is Victory...

It is a sync issue for sure and MA needs to Fix it! along with all the other Bugs in space...

I have not seen any Rhyme or reason as to how the bug happens just know it does.

I hope you all have missed my absence but I am back! :)

Regards

PostHistory your friendly Pirate :)

Sorry...I thought of this whilst reading this thread...

:ahh::laugh:

Back