Sweating. The Present and Future.

• Thread starter Deleted member 59150
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 59150

Hello everyone.

While I am not a sweater myself, I've always kept a close eye on prices, as well as spent much time healing at circles and SSI's. Here is my take on Sweating currently, and what the future holds for you all.

Unintended Use
It is fair to say what the sweating system was introduced for. A way for newer players - not yet willing to put money into the game - to earn some PED and get a taste of the game.

The uses for sweat are so limited, purposely, to restrict the use of the activity and have it only be used by a smaller number of players as explained above. Initially, this worked as intended. This is why we had prices in excess of 3-5+ PED per K. Use as intended, smaller amount of sweaters, and still in balance with the demand for sweat.

What MindArk couldn't have predicted, was the sheer amount of people that would use sweating as their main activity, beyond being a new player. From a developer POV, it is hard to imagine players spending 6hours a day, for years, doing this. As such, the system was never designed with this in mind.

Expecting Change
I see many people expecting, or demanding MindArk to do something to artificially raise the price of sweat. Whether that entails giving more crafting options etc. The hard truth is mostly due to the above - what the system was intended to do. Sweating was never intended (in my humble opinion) to be the mainstay income generator for huge amount of players over the course of their avatar lifetime. As such, MindArk won't bring about such changes that would make that more possible, as is not the purpose of the system.

The Future
So where is it heading? Well, nothing good, but likely not bad. Initiatives by Planet Partners in creating uses for Sweat (namely recently with the Medusa Wave cost to start being sweat) you can see that demand increases slightly. But these are very fleeting price increases. It will jump up for a time, but eventually, those with thousands of PED of sweat in storage will flood the economy and the price will return to normal.

This all sounds very negative, but it's just the nature of the activity, and having far more use of it than was ever intended.

What can you do?
Diversify your income. There are plenty of other activities to do. Advertisement services, healing (though this requires some initial capital), reselling (capital required, but start small). There are also various opportunities cropping up from time to time, such as my own logging company which pays new players to chop trees, with no cost at all to them.

This at least gives you other options for keeping the PEDs coming in until the next time that sweat has a little rise in price.

Conclusion
Finally, my overall point is to manage the expectation. Don't expect improvements on a system that is not being used as intended. Always try to sell for the best price you can, but don't fool yourself into thinking Sweat prices will make a long-term comeback.

While I'm sure most of you know all this, it is important that new players especially understand clearly the picture of sweating and that is should be taken for what it is, not what the sweating community believe it should be, or spend a lot of time on it on the belief that prices will make a comeback.

As for myself, I'm doing my part to employ people who would otherwise be sweating and give them more options for funding their gameplay. I'd encourage anyone with the means to help provide sweaters with viable earning opportunities, no matter how small, in the hopes that with less people sweating overall, the system can be used for it's intended purpose of being there for new players.

What I think we need is a separate and mandatory trade chat for sweat trading because #calytrade is
overflooded with it. Although I've no idea if it's possible to organize something like that even in theory.

What MA has done well is to require large amounts of sweat to spawn boss mobs. There should be more of this.

Also, MA should add sweat in increasing amounts to the EP blueprints with EP1 require a small amount of sweat and EPx requiring a factor of 10 more (whatever the max EP BP is.)

EP1 1 bottle of sweat
EP2 10 bottles of sweat
EP3 100 bottles of sweat

etc

What MA has done well is to require large amounts of sweat to spawn boss mobs. There should be more of this.

etc

This is by Planet Partners, not MA.

To your last point, why should MA? They have no good reason too, as explained in my post. They could, sure, but they won't.

Also, MA should add sweat in increasing amounts to the EP blueprints with EP1 require a small amount of sweat and EPx requiring a factor of 10 more (whatever the max EP BP is.)

EP1 1 bottle of sweat
EP2 10 bottles of sweat
EP3 100 bottles of sweat
etc

EP bp's will never be changed to use anything else than TT terminal stuff.
In other words, MA will not bite his own hand by making the best ped donation system harder to use.

Back