How MindArk failed "Project Entropia"

That part was just secondary to the point of my original post though. Yes, a lot of old players miss some of the stuff from back in the day, however this post is primarily about MA went the wrong route with the development and missed out on a lot of the possibilities.

And, they could well begin making changes that would bring the game back to where it ought to be. All of the stuff I've mentioned is stuff that can still be done. I can't go back my childhood and eat mud, but the new MindArk could well develop this game back into what it should be.

So Mr Rant. It's easy to complain. Now show us your vision of what Project Entropia should have been? Maybe make the post as long as your originial post. Don't leave out any details. What should Mindark have developed Project Entropia into, so that we, the players, have a better experience than what we have now?
Don't give me the crap what they did wrong, what they should not have done. What in your vision, should Mindark have done? You admit you don't play anymore, but we do. Will you, were you in the driver's seat be able to keep us all happy? Remember, you need to cater for us all.. Including the Strykers and Yodas and Dasouths of this game and the occasional player like yourself and the other noobs at entropiaplanets.

So Mr Rant. It's easy to complain. Now show us your vision of what Project Entropia should have been? Maybe make the post as long as your originial post. Don't leave out any details. What should Mindark have developed Project Entropia into, so that we, the players, have a better experience than what we have now?
Don't give me the crap what they did wrong, what they should not have done. What in your vision, should Mindark have done? You admit you don't play anymore, but we do. Will you, were you in the driver's seat be able to keep us all happy? Remember, you need to cater for us all.. Including the Strykers and Yodas and Dasouths of this game and the occasional player like yourself and the other noobs at entropiaplanets.

I got a good vision of what it should have been from the original post. And it sounded great.

the other noobs at entropiaplanets.
They are woke, they can now see the truth :newbie:
One guy there aims for a Guinness book records for the longest tantrum in the world, the detective Tantrum is at about 10 years in now and keeps on going strong :lift:

I seem to recall that I mentioned what direction that MA should have taken with PE in my original post.

I played this game for 13 straight years before taking a break from it. Not sure where you arrived at me being "occasional" or a "noob". But everything I've pointed out in my original post occurred during those years, not in the last few. But this game looks strikingly similar to what it was when I took off for a while.

And none of my complaints have anything to do with stuff that may affect players like Stryker or orange-jumpsuit players differently. It's about the "theme" and feel of the game (and its universe) and basic bug squashing, not the mechanics, economy, loot, skills, professions, etc.

I seem to recall that I mentioned what direction that MA should have taken with PE in my original post.

I played this game for 13 straight years before taking a break from it. Not sure where you arrived at me being "occasional" or a "noob".

But everything I've pointed out in my original post occurred during those years, not in the last few. But this game looks strikingly similar to what it was when I took off for a while.

And none of my complaints have anything to do with stuff that may affect players like Stryker or orange-jumpsuit players differently. It's about the "theme" and feel of the game (and its universe) and basic bug squashing, not the mechanics, economy, loot, skills, professions, etc.

Occasional player: "I haven't played significantly in years, but I came back around to check out the migration and have logged into the game every day thus far. "

So they gave control to planet partners and now the universe is full of mankinis and the like. The question remains simple, if you were in the seat, what would you have done to keep the game alive? Would you have filed for bankruptcy after SEE or would you also have sold deeds? Instead of the partner program that made Mindark cash to keep going, what would you have done to keep project entropia alive?

Occasional player: "I haven't played significantly in years, but I came back around to check out the migration and have logged into the game every day thus far. "

So they gave control to planet partners and now the universe is full of mankinis and the like. The question remains simple, if you were in the seat, what would you have done to keep the game alive? Would you have filed for bankruptcy after SEE or would you also have sold deeds? Instead of the partner program that made Mindark cash to keep going, what would you have done to keep project entropia alive?

Bro, once again, I already said what I would have expected from them (to keep the cash and players coming in) in the original post.

And again, everything I've discussed occurred during the time that I was not an occasional player. You are seriously having some comprehension issues right now.

Bro, once again, I already said what I would have expected from them (to keep the cash and players coming in) in the original post.

And again, everything I've discussed occurred during the time that I was not an occasional player. You are seriously having some comprehension issues right now.

Sorry about that then.

I played this game for 13 straight years before taking a break from it. Not sure where you arrived at me being "occasional" or a "noob". But everything I've pointed out in my original post occurred during those years, not in the last few. But this game looks strikingly similar to what it was when I took off for a while.

It is the dumbasses that are satisfied with the state of the game as it is that's the problem. Just like RL. Happy slaves. DUH! I'm joining the dark side you idiots!!

Part of this post starts out by saying "I was a teenager back then". I believe one of the largest problems MA faces today, is attracting the next generation of citizens to this game. It's all wrapped up in many posts on this thread, but for me this is where there needs to be some real focus.

If someone arrives into this world today, think about what they see. Disjointed missions, abandoned areas, thousands of vacant apartments, absolutely zero continuity between planets, nearly abandoned areas like FOMA....
You walk by and see dozens of abandoned shop booths, you walk in Twin Peaks mall even and see abandoned shops.

I think loot is "boring" is a valid point, but moreover, I think many new players question... what is the point? Why am I doing this or that as they start to learn this game.

"back in the day" there seemed to be a vision, a direction. The excitement and nostalgia most people are talking about here is really based on that in my opinion, back then... it felt more dynamic and it felt bigger. For many old players, the disjointedness and brokeness... relatively small things that most everyone looks over now, are felt in humongous ways by new players. When they arrive, they see and feel a broken game without a direction.

This is the issue MA faces now. When is the last time you saw a hype video like the one linked in the OPs post? People aren't seeing growth, they are seeing the rift continue to get larger.

Just my two cents. It's like that old quote - people will forget what you said, forget what you did, but never forget how you made them feel. We see this playing out in a few ways right now.... the really old vets still hold onto that original feeling and it provides hope. But think about how a new player might "feel" coming into this game today.

Just my two cents. It's like that old quote - people will forget what you said, forget what you did, but never forget how you made them feel. We see this playing out in a few ways right now.... the really old vets still hold onto that original feeling and it provides hope. But think about how a new player might "feel" coming into this game today.

Damn you for making me feel even more feels about my post!

I think MA can learn a lot from the creators of EVE ONLINE, CCP Games.
I know quite a few people are excited about echos.
It is something I have wanted for entropia for a long time.

To me, you can resume the difference between PE and EU whith this sentence:

Project Entropia was more than a game.
Entropia Universe is just a game among many.

The problem is that they wanted to make it just another game, but they didn't think that the main factor that makes a simple game attractive is fun.

Once you take away everything that made Project Entropia something more than a game, there's nothing left but grind, grind, grind, and more grind...

Everything is beautifully packaged, but inside there's nothing but 100% grind.
Each mission is made of beautiful words that always hide more grind.

And don't talk to me about mining or crafting, it's all about the same thing, always more and more clicks...

The grind was good when there was something at the end.
When everything was possible, when it was worth it to progress, to reach levels that would allow you to catch good items, to discover things, and don't forget to earn money, because that was the heart of the game.
Many people won't admit it, but the RCE side was the main reason why they joined.

People dreamed of making a fortune "virtually".
It was even the catchphrase of a commercial. "Join and build your fortune."

My current avatar is exactly three years old, but I've been playing the game since 2006.
And I remember exactly how I discovered it.
An IRL friend told me about it, and he told me only 2 things:
Everything in the game is real money, you can deposit and withdraw money.
You can put any object on the ground ingame, and then anyone can take it.

I thought, this is different from any other MMO.
And I said, "I've got to try this."
That night I downloaded it.

Now the only thing you can hope for is to get 97% back.
And they drop a good item once every 6 months, and 1 small ATH a year, to give hope to the player, and keep the wheel turning...

One of the things that for me is a prime example of the change that killed Project Entropia, is the Beacons.

I still remember the feeling I had when I found my first beacon, and when we did it as a team.

A ship would appear, with a few drones around it, and we had to click on it to get the beacon.
When it appeared, I was panicked, because I was a noob and I couldn't kill the drones, I was afraid that someone would come and take the beacon from me (which was possible, anyone who clicked on the ship would get the beacon).
It was adrenaline, so a lot of fun.
Some friends came to help me and I got the beacon, I remember it well, and it was 15 years ago...

Then running the beacon itself was a different story, there were several floors, and safes on every floor.
We had to come up with a strategy with the team to get as many boxes as possible at the end.
Some people had to stay next to the safes on the lower floors, and so on...

And if you died, you were ejected from the instance, and you couldn't come back.
Once again, it was adrenaline, you had to think..
Very good memories...

Now what is it?
Mining, click, click, click, click... oh wait, I got a beacon...
Okay, now I'm gonna do it... Alone...
I did it. I got 90% return...
Next up... Click, click, click, click...

This shows the difference between Project Entropia, and Entropia Universe.

Endless grind without a goal is no fun...

I continue to play, a lot, every day.
But I am also seriously starting to ask myself... To what end ? ?

Last edited:
Now the only thing you can hope for is to get 97% back.

I lost more in Compets (~1500 PEDs) than playing the game Hunting, etc. And their 5:2 moon deeds conversion they gave for the Compet deed holders was another bad blow. Today they are selling moon deeds for 60 peds per deed in their webshop whereas those who got the converted ones paid nearly 250 PEDs to get 1 moon deed (based on the conversion).

Yes, investments in deeds are risky but most of the risk, in this case, was pushed to the people who trusted and bought Compet deeds. (I think I will stop this Compet rant now lol)

Anyways, hope they streamline their vision and focus more on development rather than other bs initiative like Compet. With AR and stuff, they have lots of things they can do and I hope that they start doing new initiatives after they make a full study and find out the probability of success. And MA please don't use the same guy who did the feasibility study for your Compet project :p

Where it started going wrong, at least from my perspective, was when obvious money grabs came into play...bank deeds, motherships, invisible armor, the god damn stables...all mostly useless, half-abandoned...

Money grab ?
Let's talk about.. Deeds ?

Project Entropia was more than a game in the sense that it was a RCE, and so every player was sort of an investor as well, they were investing in their avatar and trying to make it grow.

Deeds were the final straw for Project Entropia.

That's where the separation was made between the Gamers and the "Investors" (that I prefer to call Traders).
I already explained this in threads quite a while ago.
That's where a complete and complex game became two separate things.
A trading platform, and a game that became flat and dull.

Now, the traders earn money, and the gamers pay, because they are obviously the ones who have to pay.
Then that's what made 2.0 happen.

And that's what makes the game, for pure gamers, what it has become:
An endless grind festival, with no other goal than to try to lose a bit less than your neighbor on the way... (on the way to nowhere)

edit:i changed my mind on some points but i need time to reformulate everything

Last edited:
Back