Info: Scanner Skillgains Testing

Darkaruki

Stalker
Banned
Formerly "Darkaruki Dorkaruki Kakiro"
With the upcoming addition of the Looter professions which have a large possibility of including skills gained in the currently existing "Investigator" professions (Animal Investigator, Mutant Investigator, Robot Investigator), I've decided to revisit testing Scanning skillgain as discussed here:
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?301242-Scanning-skills-info-ES500-vs-LS-V

I suspected that, despite skill gain sizes being identical between the two scanners, one having 4.39x as much decay as the other, that the difference would only be seen in the average frequency of skill gains between the two scanners, and thus only be visible in testing the raw quantity of skills gained in a large sample size.

So, I bought a LifeScanner IV which has 3.96x as much decay as my Chikara InvestaFoe ES500 and killed 1000 fouls, scanning each and every single one of them before killing them, recording my skill quantities in all related skills before and after the 1000 scans, once with the Chikara InvestaFoe ES500 and once with the LifeScanner IV

Note: I was also using 10% Skill Bonus pill during these tests for every scan minus around 10-20 scans for each, I also did not include Intelligence skillgain as it can't be measured in PED and would be interfered with from my healing tool, and Perception skillgain since there would be a major interference there with the hunting activity.

Chikara InvestaFoe ES500 TEST:

BEGIN
FOULS: 2150/5000

Scan Animal: 133.6
Probing: 43.1
Analysis: 82.3
Biology: 40.1
Botany: 30.5
Computer: 516.3
Zoology: 10.4

END
FOULS: 3150/5000

Scan Animal: 226.6 (~0.158PED)
Probing: 63.1 (~0.025PED)
Analysis: 108.5 (~0.038PED)
Biology: 62.6 (~0.033PED)
Botany: 50.9 (~0.028PED)
Computer: 516.9 (~0.005PED)
Zoology: 15.9 (~0.01PED)

Total excluding Perception: ~0.297PED
Cost: 8.20PED

LifeScanner-IV TEST:

BEGIN
FOULS: 3150/5000

Scan Animal: 226.6
Probing: 63.1
Analysis: 108.5
Biology: 62.6
Botany: 50.9
Computer: 516.9
Zoology: 15.9

END
FOULS: 4150/5000

Scan Animal: 296.7 (~0.144PED)
Probing: 79.6 (~0.025PED)
Analysis: 133.7 (~0.041PED)
Biology: 82.9 (~0.03PED)
Botany: 69.6 (~0.026PED)
Computer: 517.9 (~0.008PED)
Zoology: 25.3 (~0.015PED)

Total excluding Perception: ~0.289PED
Cost: 32.5PED

My conclusion is that these two numbers fall within the standard deviation of each other, and that including Perception (but excluding 10% Bonus Skill pill) the average skill value in PED from 1000 scans, regardless of scanner, is likely around 0.30PED of the various skills involved in that Investigator profession.

So, basically, don't ever use the LifeScanners ever no matter what, anything else is better, and ES500 is still currently the best scanner in the game. :bowdown:

Last edited:
I think the life scanners are used in pvp for their distance.

FYI- Animal looter unlocks Xenobiology at 30. Was a pleasant surprise to get that along with my Butcher unlock.

Since then I started scanning again some because new unlock and can only raise it through scanning. Couple things that intrigue me is much like defensive skills I believe its not the scanner you are using as much as what you are scanning.

If you are scanning a bunch of punies I doubt they will yield the same skills as scanning something with a much higher level. Don't have definitive proof as I haven't done a test with the same scanner against puny vs big mobs.

However when I got the unlock I was scanning every Rex and the scanning gains were unusually good. So I believe just some mobs will rewards better scanning gains. Maybe based on threat level, etc.

So I wouldn't go bonkers scanning till you unlock Xenobiology just cause it's more efficient. Maybe if you want to test that out and scan Rex vs Punies. Or a mob you are hunting and see if you get
a difference ;)

This thread is slightly old now, would you still recommend getting an investafoe es500 and scanning constantly.

It appears from your math above its a very cheap way to gain skills that lead into looter professions. In fact I think it might be some of the only ways to do so.

The es500 is the cheapest to use. Unlike other activity ped spent per click doesnt affect the skill return. Also a mob can only give a skill once then you have to go to another mob.

The es500 is the cheapest to use. Unlike other activity ped spent per click doesnt affect the skill return. Also a mob can only give a skill once then you have to go to another mob.

Do you have experience using an es500?

Do you find the successful skill obtaining rate increases between the more efficient Investafoe es range to the standard TT (L) trash.

Do you have experience using an es500?

Do you find the successful skill obtaining rate increases between the more efficient Investafoe es range to the standard TT (L) trash.

I have experience from 3 years ago when i was skilling up to reach level 15 animal investigator in order to be able to use the animal control pills.
I have the old UL es100, lifescanner IV and i used the es500..
All did seem to give the exact skill value per click, which was decreasing as my skills got bigger, while odds of getting a greenline werent greater with a Lifescanner IV or es500.
To conclude it was slightly cheaper to use and alot more range on the es500.

Cutting trees will give you a far better chance and faster skilling at 90% tt return. Which i also tested using a PH3.

Cutting trees will give you a far better chance and faster skilling at 90% tt return. Which i also tested using a PH3.
And if you do it right you can actually be profitable cutting level 3 trees if you do it right.

Back