Achievement: Natural level 100 on 66 USD

UnaAlconbury

Prowler
Society
Rangers
Una Griph Alconbury

Nowhere close to as special as it used to be a few years ago, pre-codex, but a big personal milestone nonetheless:
Finally reached Level 100 Ranged BLP (dmg) tonight!

Still all natural, still running on the same initial depo from 2007 as mentioned in Natural Kill Strike on 66 USD a few years ago. I never had above 100% TT returns for longer periods of time, even in loot 1.0. But with perseverence, discipline and careful choices, it IS possible to play for free.

And still nothing impressive about my speed! ? Returned from a two year break only last July and picked up melee and MF skilling before the final push for 100 in BLP (dmg) last couple weeks. Always had a markup oriented approach rather than skill speed, obviously.

Hit level lagging a few levels as for most, will see when 10/10 HA happens. Could be six months, could be five years!

Last edited:
Huge gz at times 66 usd was my weekly depo so this is really an achievement :)

Grats on L100! And also managing it on an initial small depo. I doubt it would be possible today (It would limit mob selection a LOT), but if you had a bunch of items from 2007, those'd be worth a lot and would cover losses (amps, shadow, DOA etc dropped regularly in 2007). Or did you really cover 6-7 %MU with loot all the time? Tell us your story :)

Last edited:
Thank you!

As a respone to @LavaSparks: amps, Shadow, DOA etc dropping regularly in 2007 is probably a bit of an overstatement (think you need to go back to at least 2005 or so, from what I understand), but either way I wouldn't really have been capable of taking advantage of it as a noob that first year.

Long story short, I have always tried to

1) be as eco as possible

It IS a thing and always has been. Trust Mindark when they say efficiency matters, for example. I am slightly above 98% tt return since coming back last summer, defense included (however I made sure to hover at or below 1% defense even when using Argo Claw, I try to still keep it low in loot 2.0 since it's not clear exactly how much of defense costs actually are returned, even if way more now than before).

2) strictly follow the markup

I remember targeting armor foot guards when that just had been implemented (full set was only 6 parts with no foot guards in the past) and everyone was paying up to "re-finish" their sets. Gradivores for Vigi feet was my niche as a fairly new player if I recall correctly. Then bigger (L) weapons (HL12 from Itumatrox, HL14 from Frescoquda and Cersumon, LR53 from Sumima etc) was selling for up to 250% for a few months after implementation in 2008 or so. Slowly tapered off but was very good income for quite a while. 2014-2015 I spent a lot of time on Marcimex grinding for chadriak mushrooms when that was new, and so on.

Even if there was, in general, more significant and perhaps longer-lasting markup opportunities coming up ten years ago, they still absolutely do come up. RX weapons from bots was a goldmine for a while, gazz from Big Bulks, ELM weapons from migration in somewhat recent years. Today boxes and stars during Mayhem is pretty much as steady as it gets as far as guaranteed markup, just as an example.

For the record, I'm not even close to taking advantage of opportunities to the same extent as some other real hardcore grinders do and have done. I wasn't quite skilled enough to take advantage of SGA, had a lot in real life during pretty much entire FEN event. I know people who made many tens of thousand ped profit one intense summer grinding for mushrooms, for example.

---

I do of course realise everyone can't have (financial) success at the same time, but it is a real cash economy after all, it's not possible in real life either. I'm just saying it's still possible to profit, since I see many posts around these forums claiming it's not. But it takes perseverance, discipline and careful choices. Staying up to date with the market. Just like in real life. Not everyone wants to spend their ingame time on that and I'm totally buying that, of course. But it just doesn't rhyme all that well when those same people complain and shout that EU is a scam. With loot 2.0 Mindark already did a lot to close the gap in terms of cost to play between those who just see it as pure entertainment and those with uber gear who are just in it for profit.

Sorry for the wall of text lol, but I figured some kind of follow-up was probably needed. Again, thank you all!

Congrats!
You were an inspiration to me! I remember I was like level 60 and I read your Kills Strike achievement on 66$...
...and a bit lazy in teh past few years :D :D but, still an amazing achievement!

Thank you!

As a respone to @LavaSparks: amps, Shadow, DOA etc dropping regularly in 2007 is probably a bit of an overstatement (think you need to go back to at least 2005 or so, from what I understand), but either way I wouldn't really have been capable of taking advantage of it as a noob that first year.

Long story short, I have always tried to

1) be as eco as possible

It IS a thing and always has been. Trust Mindark when they say efficiency matters, for example. I am slightly above 98% tt return since coming back last summer, defense included (however I made sure to hover at or below 1% defense even when using Argo Claw, I try to still keep it low in loot 2.0 since it's not clear exactly how much of defense costs actually are returned, even if way more now than before).

2) strictly follow the markup

I remember targeting armor foot guards when that just had been implemented (full set was only 6 parts with no foot guards in the past) and everyone was paying up to "re-finish" their sets. Gradivores for Vigi feet was my niche as a fairly new player if I recall correctly. Then bigger (L) weapons (HL12 from Itumatrox, HL14 from Frescoquda and Cersumon, LR53 from Sumima etc) was selling for up to 250% for a few months after implementation in 2008 or so. Slowly tapered off but was very good income for quite a while. 2014-2015 I spent a lot of time on Marcimex grinding for chadriak mushrooms when that was new, and so on.

Even if there was, in general, more significant and perhaps longer-lasting markup opportunities coming up ten years ago, they still absolutely do come up. RX weapons from bots was a goldmine for a while, gazz from Big Bulks, ELM weapons from migration in somewhat recent years. Today boxes and stars during Mayhem is pretty much as steady as it gets as far as guaranteed markup, just as an example.

For the record, I'm not even close to taking advantage of opportunities to the same extent as some other real hardcore grinders do and have done. I wasn't quite skilled enough to take advantage of SGA, had a lot in real life during pretty much entire FEN event. I know people who made many tens of thousand ped profit one intense summer grinding for mushrooms, for example.

---

I do of course realise everyone can't have (financial) success at the same time, but it is a real cash economy after all, it's not possible in real life either. I'm just saying it's still possible to profit, since I see many posts around these forums claiming it's not. But it takes perseverance, discipline and careful choices. Staying up to date with the market. Just like in real life. Not everyone wants to spend their ingame time on that and I'm totally buying that, of course. But it just doesn't rhyme all that well when those same people complain and shout that EU is a scam. With loot 2.0 Mindark already did a lot to close the gap in terms of cost to play between those who just see it as pure entertainment and those with uber gear who are just in it for profit.

Sorry for the wall of text lol, but I figured some kind of follow-up was probably needed. Again, thank you all!
:clap::clap::clap:

Congrats!
You were an inspiration to me! I remember I was like level 60 and I read your Kills Strike achievement on 66$...
...and a bit lazy in teh past few years :D :D but, still an amazing achievement!
Thank you Evey! Happy I could inspire, and tables have now turned indeed. Your journey since then is impressive to say the least! I’m slacking big time, I agree ?

Well done mate, that is indeed a significant accomplishment. I played non-depo for 4 years and it was incredibly tough. The most difficult part, as you mentioned, was the missed opportunities.
I really like the screenshot - it is very telling. At level 100 you are using a "pea-shooter" that has very high efficiency, grinding mobs which produce good markup, with minimal defense expenses. That is the key to success on a low bankroll.

Well done mate, that is indeed a significant accomplishment. I played non-depo for 4 years and it was incredibly tough. The most difficult part, as you mentioned, was the missed opportunities.
I really like the screenshot - it is very telling. At level 100 you are using a "pea-shooter" that has very high efficiency, grinding mobs which produce good markup, with minimal defense expenses. That is the key to success on a low bankroll.
Exactly this. If I would have put in some deposits along the way, I would have been able to make so much more profit really. That's good advice to new players, don't be afraid of putting in some support along the way when stuff comes up. I just enjoy this style of relaxed, risk-averse play and the challenge of trying to get as far as possible on that initial deposit. Nowadays, with a healthy bankroll, taking advantage of most things that come up is not a problem any longer, it's just silly old me steady-Eddying along in cat02 for a calm grind with less risk instead ?

People like my soc mate Zho, former soc mate Evey and others who go bigger instead, huge turnover, crushing Mayhems, are undoubtedly making more ped per hour even if it can be rocky at times. I might transition eventually, but for now I'll continue to chug along at my pace.

Profiting as crafter is easy, as miner (dunno, never done much mining), but as hunter, you really need to know your stuff.

I remember doing some hunting back in 2012-15 or so and I had to read all the time, everything was changing in days. It was profitable, still is, but expecting to break even shooting Kerberos with 50% eff and under 3DPP , forget it.

This is what most people will not understand. They think every gun in the game works for hunting...I can't even remember how many times I told new disciples to drop that lvl100 gun...

Hunting proper mobs for your level, chasing MU, not overkilling (much) etc etc, not a rocket science really.

Gratz!

Just keep chugging along , and enjoy the game is the key to success.

Gratz on a huge milestone.

Incredible achievement and awesome thread.

In one post you state:
(however I made sure to hover at or below 1% defense even when using Argo Claw, I try to still keep it low in loot 2.0 since it's not clear exactly how much of defense costs actually are returned, even if way more now than before
Does this mean you don't wear Armor or heal to remain as eco as possible?

In one post you state:

I also use 1% as a guideline. If my defense costs are above 1%, I'm hunting too large for my available dps, is basically what it adds up to for me.

In one post you state:

Thank you! :)

Well it's not black or white. The main cornerstone in my approach is to profit, that sometimes means I have to raise defense a bit to get access to an opportunity. Say I have 5% defense costs on a mob, but the opportunity is good enough in terms of markup of loot that it's still worth it.

In general I suppose you can say I try to keep armor and heal costs down as much as possible, for a slightly better TT return. But it's not the main rule that dictates my choice of mobs. I mean as long as net returns are above 100% I don't care what the TT return is.

Back