FYI: Laptop Died

fred5283

Stalker
Society
AO
Norian Norian Xx
Yo - just a FYI to all my soc mates in Guess Who!

My GPU on my laptop just died... did a number on it, had to reinstall windows in order to boot up.

Anyways, going to be a bit before I can get back in game.

Damn, going to miss some good gold rush :(

Get one that runs Unreal 5 really good :)

Get one that runs Unreal 5 really good :)
Haha for sure
I've always liked CyberpowerPC, great bang for your buck
Need laptop to make the office look nice, portable (I know, not the best for performance, upgrading, etc...)
Thinking about this one: https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Tracer-V-Edge-I17E-450
Has NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8Gb in it
Won't ship till next week
I looked on amazon, newegg, best buy, etc... very similar setups from MSI, ASUS, Alienware and prices are like $2k+
My current laptop is an 18" one, thinking 17.3" is the way to go this time. I think 15" is too small.

I got a 15" laptop, but its hooked up to 2 bigger monitors a 27" and 18". With a keyboard. I love the setup. Kinda wish it was 2 x 27"s but money lol. still rockin the 1900x1200 hehe

Last edited:
Haha for sure
I've always liked CyberpowerPC, great bang for your buck
Need laptop to make the office look nice, portable (I know, not the best for performance, upgrading, etc...)
Thinking about this one: https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Tracer-V-Edge-I17E-450
Has NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8Gb in it
Won't ship till next week
I looked on amazon, newegg, best buy, etc... very similar setups from MSI, ASUS, Alienware and prices are like $2k+
My current laptop is an 18" one, thinking 17.3" is the way to go this time. I think 15" is too small.
How much RAM does that one have? I would try to get 16 GB at a minimum and 32 GB would be best (if not cost prohibitive),

EDIT: nvm, it looks like it includes 16 GB. Good to go :thumbup:

My condolences :( Always terrible when you're suddenly forced to replace a piece of gear instead of deciding that for yourself.

I absolutely would not care for UE right now unless we had an ETA already. Btw UE is more forgiving to hardware than Crystuff anyway, so not an argument by itself if you can live with being flexible in the settings. By the time we get Entropia on the new engine, more likely than not the market will have changed again. Unless you do other things that call for a top-end GPU, you don't even need RTX which is only the beginning of serious raytracing in hardware and chip generations evolve quickly. Something in the middle and known as a good workhorse is less likely to make you regret it should the weather change. Rather look for reviews telling how awkward it is to clean/change a fan and stuff like that.

My condolences :( Always terrible when you're suddenly forced to replace a piece of gear instead of deciding that for yourself.

I absolutely would not care for UE right now unless we had an ETA already. Btw UE is more forgiving to hardware than Crystuff anyway, so not an argument by itself if you can live with being flexible in the settings. By the time we get Entropia on the new engine, more likely than not the market will have changed again. Unless you do other things that call for a top-end GPU, you don't even need RTX which is only the beginning of serious raytracing in hardware and chip generations evolve quickly. Something in the middle and known as a good workhorse is less likely to make you regret it should the weather change. Rather look for reviews telling how awkward it is to clean/change a fan and stuff like that.
Thx for feedback - technology for PC/laptop is always improving so whatever I buy will outdated almost as soon as I order it.
Watched a vid and seems similar to what I have - Cyberpower just takes a MSI and rebrands it. Looks fairly easy IMO.
Ordering this morning.

check out xoticpc.com.

I love their machines.

check out xoticpc.com.

I love their machines.
I think have seen these guys/heard about them in the past… I like the customization possibilities! I will say the system I ordered is $500 more at xoticpc (maybe you get what you pay for, idk)
thanks for the link!

dont have an old PC around to use while you wait?

you can run the game with onboard graphics just set them low. I have an old I5 4th gen desktop hat can run the game - shit even my 2009 imac pro can run it just cant use high setting. sure it might crash every once in a long while if not DirectX 11 (or something like is the warning i got last time i used the laptop) but it will run.

dont have an old PC around to use while you wait?

you can run the game with onboard graphics just set them low. I have an old I5 4th gen desktop hat can run the game - shit even my 2009 imac pro can run it just cant use high setting. sure it might crash every once in a long while if not DirectX 11 (or something like is the warning i got last time i used the laptop) but it will run.
OMG - I never even thought of trying this! I got the laptop functional with the integrated graphics…I just tried and the Intel 4600 onboard graphics is enough! Sure, I took a FPS hit, but should be playable!
See you tomorrow Soc and Gold Rush and friends!!

do you go for desktop or laptop next ?

Got it!
Wow... she's a beaut!
And very fast - 1 week from when order was placed
Doing all the Windows / customization / network / copying files crap atm
EU tonight / soon!!! Will be doing Very High settings on everything

Got it!
Wow... she's a beaut!
And very fast - 1 week from when order was placed
Doing all the Windows / customization / network / copying files crap atm
EU tonight / soon!!! Will be doing Very High settings on everything
i'm jealous.