Graphics in Entropia are impressive

Thank you very much! Much obliged:). And yes, I look forward to the new graphics, to a smoother game experience. I wonder if they put a date of release to it - I haven't seen in the their communique - but I could have missed it.
Not at all. Would be good to hear it in EU sometimes, such as when doing a long mining run...

I miss the sitting and laying position, even with no butt slide, it would be fun if they could re-implement it. It really gave the felling that your avatar was resting while you AFK. After all we still have beds in Entropia Universe but we can't lay on them. Pffff MA!!!

Thanks for the video. Ahhh the nostalgia. :)
This explains why I couldn't get into an armchair in one of the shops in an Amethera shopping mall.

Yer, there's 100 pecs to a ped and 10 peds to the US$, I think of it as just another currency. BTW, is MA some sort of bank as well as the operator of EU, and can you cash out in crypto?
You still didn’t get it…
Project Entropia Dollars = PED
Project Entropia Cents = PEC

I start my introduction to this game to all my friends by saying, “think of the game like a bank, you can put your money in and take it out. But with Entropia you can play with your money in the bank and even trade your money with others in the bank if you like…”

I start my introduction to this game to all my friends by saying, “think of the game like a bank, you can put your money in and take it out. But with Entropia you can play with your money in the bank and even trade your money with others in the bank if you like…”
This is exactly it. As I always say, the idea of PE/EU is brilliant (so is your intro to the game, btw), but it is the system of Entropia that needs a lot of work, and most importantly alot of participation. Market system can be genius, but if nobody's using it, it's worthless.

Reactions: jak
You still didn’t get it…
Project Entropia Dollars = PED
Project Entropia Cents = PEC

Yer, I did already 'get it'. I said a few threads back - 'Yep, I realised PE stands for Project Entropia... '

Yer, I did already 'get it'. I said a few threads back - 'Yep, I realised PE stands for Project Entropia... '
I still all it Project Entropia most of the time...I like that name better, tbh

Reactions: Mac
I only ever knew it as Entropia Universe before signing-up to PCF, but I can understand why those who knew it as Project Entropia prefer that. On the same page though, why wasn't the currency renamed as say Entropia Universe Dollar, so EUD?

Back on graphics, will Unreal Engine 5 be applied to AVs as well as terrain and in-game assets? If so, this would be really something going by a few UE 5 vids I've seen on YT. The AVs looked almost lifelike.

Back on graphics, will Unreal Engine 5 be applied to AVs as well as terrain and in-game assets? If so, this would be really something going by a few UE 5 vids I've seen on YT. The AVs looked almost lifelike.
It's up to developers to utilize the possibilities of the new engine rather than just import old graphics into it. Look for example how my avatar was changing through updates. The 1st and the 2nd (from the left) images are on the same pre-2009 Gamebryo engine, but the 2nd one is after they updated the avatar system in 2008 in preparation for CE2. The 3rd image is right after the CE2 update, you can see it's pretty much the same model, if slightly smoother. The 4th image is still CE2 but after they changed the avatar system again in 2014.

index.php

Also compare exactly the same outfit right before and after the Cryengine2 update.

I miss the sitting and laying position, even with no butt slide, it would be fun if they could re-implement it. It really gave the felling that your avatar was resting while you AFK. After all we still have beds in Entropia Universe but we can't lay on them. Pffff MA!!!

Thanks for the video. Ahhh the nostalgia. :)

index.php

It's up to developers to utilize the possibilities of the new engine rather than just import old graphics into it. Look for example how my avatar was changing through updates. The 1st and the 2nd (from the left) images are on the same pre-2009 Gamebryo engine, but the 2nd one is after they updated the avatar system in 2008 in preparation for CE2. The 3rd image is right after the CE2 update, you can see it's pretty much the same model, if slightly smoother. The 4th image is still CE2 but after they changed the avatar system again in 2014.

index.php

Also compare exactly the same outfit right before and after the Cryengine2 update.

This is mine through the years although not an actual change between the last 2. or between the first 2. The dark skinned/dark haired one is the VU9 avatar I made briefly when I came back for the Apocalypso event before CryTopia was implemented http://www.entropiawiki.com/Info.aspx?chart=Avatar&id=1647&ver=28436

index.php

Nice representation of AVs over the EU years. I can see and increase in quality of the second one from the first, though not much difference between the third and the second. The fourth one looks slightly better than the third one though, however in all cases my impression is that the graphics quality of the terrain is slightly higher than for the AVs. I'm just hoping they apply UE 5 attributes to both game assets and AVs equally.

Nice representation of AVs over the EU years. I can see and increase in quality of the second one from the first, though not much difference between the third and the second. The fourth one looks slightly better than the third one though, however in all cases my impression is that the graphics quality of the terrain is slightly higher than for the AVs. I'm just hoping they apply UE 5 attributes to both game assets and AVs equally.
I'm probably the minority, but I still prefer the original graphics.

Just looked at some screenshots of EU from 2007 and the graphics were really good even then. At that time I was playing another well known mmorpg, and the quality in that was nowhere near as high.

Gratz on how you somehow managed to get your AV into a bed. I can't even get mine to sit on a bench in Port Atlantis.
I think I fell through the floor IIRC

So in attempting to get your AV out of bed, you ended up through the floor instead? Funny LOL!
Never underestimate how how much time and determination people have on their hands to exercise their curiosity and creativity to figure out how to get in, on, under, and through things in PE :)

Never underestimate how how much time and determination people have on their hands to exercise their curiosity and creativity to figure out how to get in, on, under, and through things in PE :)
Yer LOL! I've been doing that a lot lately, often by pure fluke! Except for the one flipping tree or rock that you can't go through when you're pounced on by a million big frogs ;) I now have visions of Wistrel ending up in the apartment below :)

Old PE definitely had a better "mysticism" and adventurous feel to it. Current EU has become very gamified into more modern MMO standards.

this isn't such a bad thing, but this game definitely moved away from "virutal universe" and more towards "RCE MMORPG"

this is most evident if you look at pre-cryengine advertisements compared to ads of the last 5-6 years

I see, so wasn't there always an RCE element to EU/PE?

Old PE definitely had a better "mysticism" and adventurous feel to it.
THAT! Also, corret me if I'm wrong, but I think the community was stronger. I remember massive hunting or sweating parties, like the one hanging in Limnadian district, sweating and shooting molisk. The hangars were so busy you had to plough your way to storage, trade or crafting machines

THAT! Also, corret me if I'm wrong, but I think the community was stronger. I remember massive hunting or sweating parties, like the one hanging in Limnadian district, sweating and shooting molisk. The hangars were so busy you had to plough your way to storage, trade or crafting machines
The game was also hemorrhaging money up until 2015

Quite... I only wish that MA would do this too ;)

Reactions: Mac
People did used to stop and chat more I think... but I think a lot of this has to do with the era or the type of player rather than anything MA did or didn't do. We also have stuff like the Rookie chat now so there is less interest in running about an "ooo! a person!" kinda thing.

People did used to stop and chat more I think
Most people just played more casually and had more free time before the iron challenges and the codex imposed on them the permanent FOMO. I remember someone made a simple web app back in the days that helped you to decide which mob to hunt today. You don't need such an app nowadays because everything is planned out for months ahead in the most efficient and joyless way. There goes socializing and free exploration. It's not good or bad, it's just a different game than it used to be.

I wonder, are the larger part of ppl that play EU concerned about how good EU looks?
I for one, play an low settings, to make everything as fluently and as lag-free as possible.
Yes sometimes I find it fun to look at a nice scenery, but I did that in the pre VU9.0 days as well.

I wonder, are the larger part of ppl that play EU concerned about how good EU looks?
I for one, play an low settings, to make everything as fluently and as lag-free as possible.
Yes sometimes I find it fun to look at a nice scenery, but I did that in the pre VU9.0 days as well.
We all know that games like EU are a bit of escapism, but aesthetics is important if an mmo/mmorpg is trying to achieve some sort of realism, so I think quality graphics is important imho. But game-play and functionality is also key, and on that score my impressions of EU are starting to change a bit. It seems you can only make more of what's gone before, the system doesn't allow you to add anything new; to make anything new. Also it's become obvious to me that you can't profit in EU by just 'playing the game'. There's no way!

I assumed Alf Svensson made them but I guess they may have been adjusted or adapted form existing sound libraries or simply used from. Who knows. I love stuff about sound design. It's always interesting to hear about what sources and methods are used to create something from an entirely unexpected original place. Case in point the other day I heard that the Dr Who tardis sound was derived from a coin scraping on an instrument string.

Back