News: MindArk Signs Deal for Unreal Engine 5 - PRNewswire

Does anyone have any idea how they'll do this... Is there a way to convert cryengine to unreal engine?

Some nice effects here that MA can not put into UnTropia (much like how tornadoes were never put into CryTopia, despite being there in Sandbox editor for anyone to have fun with).

Just sayin...

What avatars/hair might be like in UnTropia

The whole thing felt very Entropia like to me. Not quite sure I like the animation, it's a bit... well seriously who walks like that? but yeh other than that thought this looked interesting/plausible. Jump to around half way to see the experiments with different hair styles/types.

LOL - how to take really great graphics and then have stupidly chunky animation. I imagine EU in the future UE5 will also make me laugh... At least she's been trained to look at the camera some of the time and not always off to the side as my petulent avatar does all the time!!!

Does anyone have any idea how they'll do this... Is there a way to convert cryengine to unreal engine?

CryEngine 2 is written in C++
Unreal Engine is written in C++

Most of the logic will be easily moved over (think mechanics of the game, how auction works, movement, pathfinding, etc).
Unreal Engine has a fairly liberal asset import pipeline which would likely make it easy to bring over the game assets (think vehicles, characters, textures, etc).

A game engine basically has a bunch of preset functions which you can use, so things like "press W to run" would be mapped to a function already existing in the game engine, you wouldn't need to reinvent the wheel so to speak. Moving from CryEngine, it might have been a function called something like "moveForward" where in UnrealEngine it might be called "forwardMove" so there will need to be time spent going over the functionality and mechanics of the game to re-map the functionality to what UE5 has to offer.

It's a lot of tedious work but it shouldn't include much new code. A lot of refactoring.

UE5 opens possible doors that CE2 never had access to (or was patchy/needed workarounds to function). Because of this, more features can be added to the game, existing technologies like the networking code can be rewritten or third-party packages can be used to enhance what's already there. UE5 is 100x more popular than CE2 and thus has a lot of developers using the platform, writing plugins, etc. MA could benefit from this by saving $ having someone develop functionality of their own and simply purchase a plugin and tweak it having most of the code already written. Popularity in languages/platforms is big in the development world. Just like in a market, if nobody is participating things move slowly but if there are lots of people participating, it can move quickly (ie: access to more features being written that you didn't have to write but can use).

It's not all about a graphics update. The graphics update is really just a side benefit of using an up-to-date engine. The biggest benefit MA is likely looking at is the ease of use, massive library of tools and pre-written underlying features and overall developer morale being able to use a platform built for today and not for 15 years ago (15 years in tech is like 50 years in mechanics).

So that's a dead face with heavily moving unnatural hair and she's breathing with her neck and shoulders. Seriously? The light is bad, animation is bad.

The room looks nice (and most likely can be done with every other engine).

I'm pretty sure UE-EU will look better than that.

All this fuss about UE5 for such an unnatural moving, posture and zero-inertia turning?
Feels identical to the currently used 20% potential of CE2.

Well I don't know anything about computer game avatar animation but indeed, it felt a lot like what we have now... which is why I'm predicting we'll have something like this in the future in Untropia. We have to bear in mind that, no matter what is possible in Unreal, most computer games don't feature fully customisable characters and a miriad of clothing/armour combinations, many of which feature custom textures and colours. Instead, most games concentrate on just a few characters with a set outfit/appearance and make that look good.

Aside from the need to make everything customisable (at least parametrically/within certain constraints) in Entropia, these days artistic licence plays a big part of what graphics/character designs look like. Case in point a lot of Korean MMO's feature these very unrealistically pretty characters. They look nice but you wouldn't say they were necessarily realistic or life like. Similarly with Final Fantasy games. You could argue the characters are Better than Life so to speak. An example being the movie Ready Player One. The characters were more like FF characters in appearance than realistic and this was by design.

Bottom line being is that having an ultra realistic character isn't the be all and end all of graphics. In many ways, that's kinda boring. Back in the old days of PE, many people had deliberately funny looking avatars. It had the advantage that you could literally recognise people at a distance, which definitely added something to the game.

This all said, even if avatars have a more FF or cartoony appearance (sometimes it is preferable to steer clear of the uncanny valley) nice animations should in theory always be desirable. I've seen Unreal has some cool stuff for having avatars automatically animate navigation of obstacles e.g. knowing how to jump over a fence that might be in the way. Similarly CE2 had some stuff around automatically adjusting how avatars might move on non flat surfaces. Not sure if MA used or at least fully used them though. I suspect the need to support all the customisation got in the way of using too much built in stuff.

8 GB of Graphics card RAM? I wouldn't be able to play this game and I am not buying new hardware for Unreal Engine 5
Buy old hardware then? rx 480/580/590/5700/5700 xt has 8 gb of ram., (g)rtx 1070/1080/2070/2080 also has that.
When Ethereum goes proof of stake early next year, there will be plenty of 8gb graphics cards.. like a huge lot of them.

Another problem with the code migration is the programmers themselves. MA is going to have to control the entire process and farm bit's and peices out so the programmers don't get any wise ideas. Imagine running a bank without some ruffian debt collectors? There's going to be delays because of this.

Hopefully not generating too many scandals. It's going to make a great addition to the entire story either way :) probably stranger than anything most authors could even think up. Even so far, without an actual book, this is one of the most interesting stories of gaming history ever.

This felt kinda Entropia'y.... if Entropia had a Scotland area that is... ;)

Can or will UE5's micro polygons be applied to AVs as well as terrain and objects?

Can or will UE5's micro polygons be applied to AVs as well as terrain and objects?
You mean the Nanite thing? Don't know. Good question that! Any Unreal experts here?

Incidentally this felt kinda Entropia'y or sorta reminded me of the robot side of life.

Also, an idea for Lemmy's Castle on Rocktropia (if that even still exists after the compression)

Finally, nice demo of how day/night cycles and light sources can work in Unreal (jump to last 15 seconds for the transistion demo - which is rather nice!)

You mean the Nanite thing? Don't know. Good question that! Any Unreal experts here?

Incidentally this felt kinda Entropia'y or sorta reminded me of the robot side of life.

Also, an idea for Lemmy's Castle on Rocktropia (if that even still exists after the compression)

Finally, nice demo of how day/night cycles and light sources can work in Unreal (jump to last 15 seconds for the transistion demo - which is rather nice!)

EU graphics are already good, but if it can get the quality shown in those vids, that would be something else! Yer, I was thinking of the Nanite thing being applied to AVs as well as objects and terrain, because then the 'physics' would be even or equal.

As i recently came back to EU (last week) it's good to hear.

The Epic Games Store currently boasts more than 160 million PC gamers

Does that mean they're going to advertise Entropia Universe on the Epic Store ? If yes that could bring in a massive amount of players to EU.

Well... a lot of Fortnite users to start with :LOL: Could this be what EU needs ?
Many Fortnite users care about their look / clothes, so it could benefit all the Tailors / hairdressers / etc... of EU :cool:

I have been to the Epic store and also their forum and for the moment nothing about Entropia, so i guess nothing have started yet ^_^

Then as for the graphics, as long as they provide the users the ability to customize the graphics i am fine with it.
I am playing in "High" at the moment, so the day UE 5 is implemented i'll really need a "lower graphic" option or i'll be forced to buy a new computer :ROFLMAO:

Nothing about EU on Epic's forum? Hmmm. A factor could be that EU isn't created by them and so might be seen as competition for their own games, even though it would be using their engine. Then again they might have designs on EU...

Yes, as I am highly experienced Dev, I can say for sure they will run unreal.exe, and after that just drag and drop and run fix.exe, and it should be all set...in a few decades and 4-5m dollars worth of new deeds released xD

First official picture from them on Instagram. Saw it on the discord channel but didn't see it on the forum yet.
Thanks for posting. I like how they are rationing pixels so it fits on a VGA monitor OK. Backwards compatibility with DOS 6.22 is a must!

First official picture from them on Instagram. Saw it on the discord channel but didn't see it on the forum yet.
The use of multiple platforms to publicise their existence is a positive thing. However I do think they should create a dedicated forum space here to convey the developments on UE5.

Hoping they can sort out the light sources in Untropia. Case in point, car headlights = over exposed mess akin to 8 bit graphics days, enblades, rocktropia torch... etc etc... all over exposed since the last lighting update that was meant to improve things.

Just wondering, does this mean RT is completely fucked because they don't have any developers? Or is MA supposed to make sure the planet still "runs"?

Back