A theory about theoretical item value

TheAlchemist

Provider
With some guns and armor selling for really high prices and thinking about shares and land deeds I can up with the following insight.

For each item (armor, gun) that has an L equivalent you can determine the maximum useful price from your playing style by:
- considering how much ped you save per year
- check if it is more than 5% of the buying cost.

If not, use an L item instead and invest the money in shares/CLD or on a RL index fund.

for example
if a gun costs 100k ped in markup you can either buy the gun or invest the ped at a 5% ROI.
if the L equivalent goes at 110%, it means you need to shoot through 50,000ped of gun decay a year to justify buying the Gun instead.
Or more realistically at 125%, you still need to decay 12,500PED a year.

same goes with armor. if an armor goes for 100k and it's L equivalent goes at 150%, you still need more then 10.000 ped in armor decay to justify buying the armor.
For armor it is more straight forward even since there is no efficiency to worry about.

Now efficiency might come in to play. Let us say that it's effect are 1% more loot. that still means a lot cycling each year.
And it effects are not directly calculatable.

So for some, it might make sense to buy UL gear.
For me on the other hand I aim to buy phantom at some point and just use armatrix and daily token weapons.
And invest my money in deeds, shares and real life index funds.
Those things also keep its worth and offer a return when I take a break from the game. And there is somewhat less risk involved in devaluation of those.

At least this makes most economical sense for me.

A fair calculation for low turnover players. But when you start doing big grinds you will simply exhaust the supply of your L weapon at your target mark-up. As you increase the demand the prices will go up, or in the case of looted weapons, simply won't be available.
UL items also bring in a fair bit of value in regards to tiers. If I have a T3 UL weapon I know I can run 30% extra damage 100% of the time. where as with L stock, I have to start from zero every time and then hope the TIR is favourable. And then be able to run 3 enhancers in the last quarter of its life.
So I don't think the lost mark-up calculation is fair comparison overall.

A fair calculation for low turnover players. But when you start doing big grinds you will simply exhaust the supply of your L weapon at your target mark-up. As you increase the demand the prices will go up, or in the case of looted weapons, simply won't be available.
UL items also bring in a fair bit of value in regards to tiers. If I have a T3 UL weapon I know I can run 30% extra damage 100% of the time. where as with L stock, I have to start from zero every time and then hope the TIR is favourable. And then be able to run 3 enhancers in the last quarter of its life.
So I don't think the lost mark-up calculation is fair comparison overall.

Sure, if you grind a lot you probably spend a lot of ped. If you can only play an hour a day on average and have stack of daily tokens around, which is fairly easy to gather, this is not an issue.

And tiering is one thing which is don't worry about. When using L you can buy a bigger weapon. And I don't play enough to be reaching lvl 100 anytime soon, so I can always grow into bigger weapons. Enhancer markup is markup lost.

But like I said, everyone need to do the math for their situation.
I just felt that the striving for some great UL gear is not worth it for me at current prices.
For me it makes sense to buy a Dante amp and phantom, but that's it.

Sure, if you grind a lot you probably spend a lot of ped. If you can only play an hour a day on average and have stack of daily tokens around, which is fairly easy to gather, this is not an issue.

And tiering is one thing which is don't worry about. When using L you can buy a bigger weapon. And I don't play enough to be reaching lvl 100 anytime soon, so I can always grow into bigger weapons. Enhancer markup is markup lost.

But like I said, everyone need to do the math for their situation.
I just felt that the striving for some great UL gear is not worth it for me at current prices.
For me it makes sense to buy a Dante amp and phantom, but that's it.
Yes all I'm saying is factor both of those things into your existing calculations. UL weapons offer more than just saving on markup. However if you are low turnover and don't use enhancers than I'm sure L stuff is for you. I like token guns myself and still use when I need a particular damage range that I cant achieve with my UL arsenal.

Limited items do have a place in the game, I use specific L armours for certain things, but as Katie mentioned certainly not advisable if you plan to grind or play more than the casual wee hunt here or there.

There is also the possible value increase of the UL item itself, and its potential to increase quite dramatically. If I were to sell some of my UL stuff now, it would have been a far better investment than CLDs even if I never "shot" with them.

There is also the possible value increase of the UL item itself, and its potential to increase quite dramatically. If I were to sell some of my UL stuff now, it would have been a far better investment than CLDs even if I never "shot" with them.

At the moment we're high on the curve of the loot 2.0, so I don't see much room to grow.
But maybe I am wrong. Historically speaking, the UL SIB didn't hold its value, a lot of old school gear didn't either.
So any item I would concider more of gamble than deeds or an IRL index market.

Of course I'm speaking to Entropia as investment vehicle compared to the notion of it being a virtual world/game and made for fun.
I like shooting mobs, but maybe the knowledge of the high investment would either enhance or ruin that pleasure.
If stocks/other RL investment go back, you can always take your mind of it and shoot some mobs. It might be harder when holding the evidence of your "bad" investment while doing so.

I'm very interesting in knowing in what UL stuff would have been a better investment than buying the original CLD. Since those amounted to close 300% return if you sell them today.

Back