Calypso Explorer Contest

MA - you are aware how often you change your spawns, right?

I think this is the biggest issue with anyone creating a 'Creature Location Map' (and I speak with some fairly recent experiece of this.)

One thing you could do is to supply a flying vehicle that uses no fuel. ;)

Last edited:
MA could allow participants to fill out some kind of explorers log book via an in game item (similar to a BP book) upon scanning a mob (think of a pokedex for EU). This log book would keep a record of the stats of the creature and all the different regions where that particular mob type/maturity has been scanned (there should also be an add waypoint button directly from the entry in the log book).

A public index, formed from the collective contents of the log books, could then be searchable via an in game terminal which gives stats and last seen regions for every mob recorded.

The mission for the community would be to populate this index, the player with the most entries by the end of the contest wins the prize. The community would then continue to keep the list updated, maybe special badges could be issued to those who have discovered most/all of the mob types/maturities, to give some sort of incentive.

MA could allow participants to fill out some kind of explorers log book via an in game item (similar to a BP book) upon scanning a mob (think of a pokedex for EU). This log book would keep a record of the stats of the creature and all the different regions where that particular mob type/maturity has been scanned (there should also be an add waypoint button directly from the entry in the log book).

A public index, formed from the collective contents of the log books, could then be searchable via an in game terminal which gives stats and last seen regions for every mob recorded.

The mission for the community would be to populate this index, the player with the most entries by the end of the contest wins the prize. The community would then continue to keep the list updated, maybe special badges could be issued to those who have discovered most/all of the mob types/maturities, to give some sort of incentive.

Thread: Suggestion: Improve Scanning

So...
Becasue they most likely lost track of it themselves.

Well.. when the guy that was doing after school work duplicating and labelling disks ends up being HMWIC....

http://imgur.com/C0xzUqQ

also there is allready a little older map which needs rework but you allready can see that this is a fuckton of work. even if you use this and verify / change all spawns it will need a week of work or so.

if the vehicle would be at least UL then id consider it worth it but a useless scanner and a useless limited vehicle and cloths... well... not worth the time imo

Wow! Just seeing this map, which I hear you saying is outdated, took any wind outta my sails to even attempt this project. What you have there is really good as I would imagine - with some minor things I would do to add to it and make things more helpful.
That being said, MA changes the position so often it makes the task somewhat futile. Also their size and MB limit has me concerned for making a truly helpful/useful map.

TY for posting.

The top 3 entries will be selected based on accurate representation of creature locations..

Just for the record, you do realize that during a mob spawn accuracy contest...

You've been changing the mob spawns.

I mean you do realize that, right? :laugh:

(sure your fixes during this VU were great. But on this point...Just saying....)

surprise surprise, one of my favourite mob spawns is gone again.

now after VU there's a new tp and some robot event, hoorray! :yup:

in case anyone started the map already, please update accordingly and delete fort isis out of this universe :dunce:

surprise surprise, one of my favourite mob spawns is gone again.

now after VU there's a new tp and some robot event, hoorray! :yup:

in case anyone started the map already, please update accordingly and delete fort isis out of this universe :dunce:
i wonder if Fort Isis went due to the Daesh (ISIL, ISIS, CystISIS whatever you wanna call em thats printable)? if so then surely the gun range is going too?
If Fort Isis has gone due to above, thats sad to see, why give them attention by changing things, especially when the name Isis is far older and unrelated to them and honestly when i saw the name Fort Isis, they never even crossed my mind

which mob btw?

Last edited:
Solve this by adding a "flora and fauna" layer on the ingame map, once you visit a place and discover the mob you get details about the area added to your map.

There used to be a time, long ago.... when we walked uphill both ways, that entropians shared knowledge on entropedia. The creature locations were accurate, updated and very helpful... Now the information can't be trusted.

We don't share anymore. Because people who share info lose the advantage of knowing something someone else doesn't. And that's the way it has been. Perhaps MA is trying to encourage that sharing again, but the only way is to give the person sharing info something. Because those who do end up sharing info will inevitably get screwed with dozens of other players swarm mob locations and farm it to death, steal each others' mobs (yes I said mobs because that's the word that's been used since the beginning and that's the way it will stay), and generally be horrible to each other in the name of greed.

There used to be a time, long ago.... when we walked uphill both ways, that entropians shared knowledge on entropedia. The creature locations were accurate, updated and very helpful... Now the information can't be trusted.

We don't share anymore. Because people who share info lose the advantage of knowing something someone else doesn't. And that's the way it has been. Perhaps MA is trying to encourage that sharing again, but the only way is to give the person sharing info something. Because those who do end up sharing info will inevitably get screwed with dozens of other players swarm mob locations and farm it to death, steal each others' mobs (yes I said mobs because that's the word that's been used since the beginning and that's the way it will stay), and generally be horrible to each other in the name of greed.

Entropedia locations cant be updated any more, one of the reasons for the 'Creatures' (formally Bestiary) section on this forum. You can click on my signature as a shortcut.

If anyone wishes to contribute locations to that, they are more than welcome (and encouraged) to do so.

Entropedia locations cant be updated any more, one of the reasons for the 'Creatures' (formally Bestiary) section on this forum. You can click on my signature as a shortcut.

If anyone wishes to contribute locations to that, they are more than welcome (and encouraged) to do so.

That is horrible and sad. Is that why the gear and loot info is out of date too? I have seen your creature pages, they are very useful! :yup:

How now brown cow? Didn't I foresee it, as soon as the contest is over, they yank teleporters and mob spawns and redesign the planet. Maybe folks would like such a contest twice a year, but I find it not too motivating to work for the trashbin, even if honoured for it. If at least the vehicle was unlimited in contrast to the map.

How now brown cow? Didn't I foresee it, as soon as the contest is over, they yank teleporters and mob spawns and redesign the planet.

In fairness, they extended the deadline for the contest to Tuesday, November 29, 23.59 UTC.

So, on the bright side, they didn't bother to wait. :laugh:

In fairness, they extended the deadline for the contest to Tuesday, November 29, 23.59 UTC.

So, on the bright side, they didn't bother to wait. :laugh:

Yeah except they only extended because nobody submitted for the original deadline. Classic MA, they'll never change, FUBAR is a company culture for them. :rolleyes:

I don't want to be unjust, but I feel it was a classic case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. The contest was a nice idea, but it could have been foreseen that it was bound to fail. In this environment even more than in every other one due to the propensity of the Calypso team to uproot things and pull the rug from under everyone's feet. Not saying their designs are bad, but you simply can't rely your planet stays the same over any length of time.

You don't get it, the constant change of locations is a part of the contest - whoever manages to stay ahead of the devs, wins :D

Reactions: San
You don't get it, the constant change of locations is a part of the contest - whoever manages to stay ahead of the devs, wins :D

I suggest we do Another approach: Instead of making a map where the mobs currently are, maybe we should make a map over where we want them to be? ... like, locations where they (would) fit well, including current positions, where they should be logically (and "remove" mobs that doesn't fit, such as Lizard-like creatures in icy areas and furry animals in desert-like areas), where they've been historically in pre-VU10 and so on.

And areas and "corridors" that are mob-free (as well as it's possible) to provide routes for TP-runs and escape paths from dangerous zones; and don't list mobs on map that are a general pest (like fauces in areas where it seems to be cuttable trees, and remove the "modified molisk" from areas with fugas).

Reactions: San
Has MindArk followed up on this yet and put any more "Colonists Standard Issue Jumpsuit (Khaki Color)" in the game (or maybe it was actually black as the linked article suggests)? I joined the contest hoping to win one, but didn't place high enough, and I haven't seen any talk of the item since then. I also think they were untradeable, so it feels like there should be a regular way for each avatar to get one by now. The White Color suit is attainable via mission chain.

What’s so interesting about a colonist jumpsuit, regardless of colour? Am I missing something?

Just for collection's sake. There's no game play advantage except for the one with the 10% speed boost.

Has MindArk followed up on this yet and put any more "Colonists Standard Issue Jumpsuit (Khaki Color)" in the game (or maybe it was actually black as the linked article suggests)? I joined the contest hoping to win one, but didn't place high enough, and I haven't seen any talk of the item since then. I also think they were untradeable, so it feels like there should be a regular way for each avatar to get one by now. The White Color suit is attainable via mission chain.
I have the only one there is, and can't be sold or traded (sorry).

:)

Back