Unable to play on new PC due to lag issue(?)

wizz

Elite
Society
The Ministry
Wizzina Wizz Pale Moon
Howdy folks,

Last week I replaced my desktop to bring it up to date again.
Re-installed everything and tried to log in.

But there it starts to go wrong.

I can open the client loader as normal.
When I press "Launch" it takes quite a while to open the Client (64 bit).
And when the blue client screen opens I seem to get around 1 FPS on the moving graphics in the log in screen.
The graphics move extremely choppy.

Also typing my name and password goes very choppy.
Then when I need to enter my code a lot of times I get connection lost.
After a few tries I manage to log in and start the game.

But the game itself is extremely laggy. Completely unplayable.

I have no idea what is causing this.

I use the same (cabled) internet connection as my old PC and when I log in on my laptop with wifi it has no problems at all.
So, it's not my connection because my laptop also works fluently on the cabled connection.

Is there a setting I overlooked that makes this all so impossible to play?

System specs:
I7-9700K
16MB DDR4
GTX 2080 super

PS, I did a connection speedtest from my provider which give 19.1 mbit download and 6.2 mbit upload
Ping 14 ms
jitter 0 ms.
But as said, did not have any issues with my connection on my old pc nor laptop, so it must be caused by my new PC.

The way you describe it, it's not the internet connection.

Sounds like it's the graphics card (old driver, EU uses onboard-GPU and not the GTX, sync issues with your monitor, ...), CPU (maybe something else on your PC requires too much CPU-power or locks a core, ...) or RAM (like a defect in one of the chips). Maybe you could close programs (virus scanner), shut down services, update drivers, check configurations, disconnect devices you don't need for EU, ... and see if that helps in some way.

You don't mention what OS you are using or what kind of drivers you use. You most likely use some Windows so others would need to help you there.

Sounds like a problematic driver, but it may be from a load of many updates... in case your PC is new, it is possible that it is currently loaded with many updates... and even up to Win 11... which Microsoft is prioritizing their updates.

Check the workload of the processes in the task sheet. If it take a lot of computer resources CPU/RAM and you overload this more with the game, this may have similar behavior.

Try to start the game in a low mode and check if there will be a change.

If there are updates just wait for them to finish. If this is not the problem or with the video driver... try your PC with another game.

Make sure your Nvidia card is running the game.

Many laptops have 2 graphics cards.
The one that is integrated is not powerful at all.

For some applications, you have to go to the Nvidia control panel, and manually check the graphics card you want to use to run it.

Thanks guys, here some extra info:

Yesterday I did a benchmark test (https://www.cpubenchmark.net/)
And my system scored on average around or above 100%.
So everything looked good at first glance.

The system is only 1,5 years old, so not that old. Still have warranty on all the parts.

When playing Elden Ring on max graphic settings no problem at all.
Runs fluently.

I also tried Warhammer Total War. But that gave the same choppy result as Entropia. So that also was unplayable.
Even the intro movie into the game goes very choppy and also the start up menu is very choppy.
And a start menu is not very CPU or GFX heavy I would imagine.

But, there's more, when I use firefox to watch a video, it also goes very choppy. The sound is good, but video playback very laggy.
However when I play the same youtube video in Edge, no problem with at all.

About the OS, as I bought the PC second hand we did a fresh install.
Windows 10.
Installed the latest Nvidia drivers.
Also updated all available windows drivers.

But as I mentioned above is that while playing Elden Ring I have no problems whatsoever. Fluently on max settings.

But opening the EU client seems horrible.
When I check my task manager I see no excessive system use. All stays under 2%.

something very odd I just noticed.

When I have the blue login screen opened you see a sort of animation play (stars move from left to right).
But in my case they move with around 1 fps. Same with the login button. The arrows move with around 1 fps.

But I just noticed a faint sound on my speaker. It give a very faint buzz each time the frame moves.
So the sound is synchronized with the moving frames.
When I close the client, the sound stops.

Also what I noticed is that when I use the arrow keys when I type (in any program), and I keep the arrow pressed,the cursor doesnt move (or only slowly, and seems also in sync with the 1 fps). The cursor moves fast if I click fast, but when pressed it moves about 1 keystroke per sec.
*EDIT* this only seems to happen when I have the client window opened.
As soon as I close the client, cursors moves normally.

It all seems to connect.

OMG, I think I should just buy an Xbox instead since Im a total PC illiterate :ROFLMAO:

As mentioned before step 1 should be to make sure that the 9700Ks iGPU is disabled.

As mentioned before step 1 should be to make sure that the 9700Ks iGPU is disabled.
and how do I do that?

Sistem isnot new the 9700k cpu is around 10 years old and they dont make it anymore for around 5-6 years . Install msi afterbutner start a program that stress the gpu at maximum and see what are the results . Look at gpu temp abd cpu temp also

Not sure if this is what you mean by it, but yes, I added entropia in the nvidia control panel.

and yes, the monitors are both turned on :tongue2:

Maybe DirectX 11 and 12 is the problem.

If you know someone American who plays a virtual machine from Mac, ask him how he found the solution to his problem... until MA upgrades to UE5.

Or talk to the technicians from the store where you bought this PS to find a suitable solution.

In my experience this just sounds like an nvidia driver problem.

Not sure I can post external links here so best thing you can do is use "nvidia ddu" (display driver uninstaller).
This makes sure to delete everything of the drivers including things you normally can't uninstall manually.

Reboot and do a fresh reinstall of the drivers afterwards (easiest is to have it downloaded already as you resolution will be shitty now).

Lemme know how it goes or pm me if you need help.

Open task manager while game is running and see if disk usage going high like close to 100% if so then time to get a hard disk

Uninstall your graphic card driver and go to nvidias webpage and search for driver 472.12 and install that.
If you haven't done that before, then https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...899/rtx-span-classhighlight2080span-fps-drop/ might be helpfull. :)

In my experience this just sounds like an nvidia driver problem.

Not sure I can post external links here so best thing you can do is use "nvidia ddu" (display driver uninstaller).
This makes sure to delete everything of the drivers including things you normally can't uninstall manually.

Reboot and do a fresh reinstall of the drivers afterwards (easiest is to have it downloaded already as you resolution will be shitty now).

Lemme know how it goes or pm me if you need help.
ok, I think I can rule out GPX driver issues.

I rolled back my driver from 512.15 to 472.12 using DDU.

This did not change anything.

I don't believe it's the GFX since, as mentioned, Elden ring plays fluently on max settings.
Also, when I log in to entropia (after a few tries to get past the log in screen), the screen renders perfectly. Moves very fast for a second or two and then freezes for a second. Details are great but it's just every second a 1 or 2 second freeze.

Even the login screen from the client goes extremely choppy. And there the GPX doesnt have to do anything.

It's something else that's slowing programs down.
Like when I keep the arrow keys pressed the cursor wont move. It only moves with each key stroke. Or when I press any key it only puts the letter once, instead of a string (or at max around 1 letter per second or so).
This happens as soon as I open the client screen.
Or open a game like warhammer total war.

Once I close down those applications the typing is normal again.

But When looking in my task manager I see no excessive CPU/memory or any other spikes.

Having the client opened hugely slows down anything i do without any unusual spikes in the task manager.

Last edited:
What I just noticed as well (in regards to typing speed) is, when I open firefox or edge, typing goes normal.
But when I open youtube and I start a video, typing is bugged again.
So, opening youtube in firefox (or edge) creates the same situation as opening the entropia client screen.

ok, I think I can rule out GPX driver issues.

I rolled back my driver from 512.15 to 472.12 using DDU.

This did not change anything.

I don't believe it's the GFX since, as mentioned, Elden ring plays fluently on max settings.
Also, when I log in to entropia (after a few tries to get past the log in screen), the screen renders perfectly. Moves very fast for a second or two and then freezes for a second. Details are great but it's just every second a 1 or 2 second freeze.

Even the login screen from the client goes extremely choppy. And there the GPX doesnt have to do anything.

It's something else that's slowing programs down.
Like when I keep the arrow keys pressed the cursor wont move. It only moves with each key stroke. Or when I press any key it only puts the letter once, instead of a string (or at max around 1 letter per second or so).
This happens as soon as I open the client screen.
Or open a game like warhammer total war.

Once I close down those applications the typing is normal again.

But When looking in my task manager I see no excessive CPU/memory or any other spikes.

Having the client opened hugely slows down anything i do without any unusual spikes in the task manager.
Can still be a DirX problem. Have you runned Dxdiag?

Can still be a DirX problem. Have you runned Dxdiag?
Dxdiag says DirectX version 12
No problem found on both monitors.

Did you try the verify local data button thingy under the clientloader tools?

Even hardop denken..
Try running in safe mode?
Clear shader cache
Run as admin
Untick "Use 64-bit Client"
Disable sounds
Disable streaming audio
Run windows update
Re-install?

Did you try the verify local data button thingy under the clientloader tools? yes. did nothing

Even hardop denken..
Try running in safe mode? tried. No difference.
Clear shader cache . Done. no difference.
Run as admin
Untick "Use 64-bit Client" Done. no difference.
Disable sounds Done. no difference.
Disable streaming audio Done. no difference.
Run windows updateDone. no difference.
Re-install? Did not yet do a full windows re-install, but might try that tonight.

As mentioned, I don't think the issue is with the client.
because I also seem to have issues with Warhammer Total war and youtube.

Last edited:
Can you name the brand / model of the machine or is it a custom build?

Can you name the brand / model of the machine or is it a custom build?
intel core i7 9700k
Gigabyte B360 AORUS Gaming 3 wifi
corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2x8GB
kingston A400 480 HB SSD
PNY Geforce RTX 2080 super
Gigabyte B700H power supply

Last edited:
results benchmark test:
(www.userbenchmark.com)

Overall this PC is performing as expected (56th percentile). This means that out of 100 PCs with exactly the same components, 44 performed better. The overall PC percentile is the average of each of its individual components.

With an outstanding single core score, this CPU is the cat's whiskers: It demolishes everyday tasks such as web browsing, office apps and audio/video playback. Additionally this processor can handle typical workstation, and even moderate server workloads. Finally, with a gaming score of 96.2%, this CPU's suitability for 3D gaming is excellent.

140% is an outstanding 3D score, it's the bee's knees. This GPU can handle almost all 3D games at very high resolutions and ultra detail levels.

62.4% is a good SSD score. This drive enables fast boots, responsive applications and ensures minimum system IO wait times.

16GB is enough RAM to run any version of Windows and it's more than sufficient for nearly all games. 16GB also allows for very large file and system caches, software development and batch photo editing/processing.
OS VersionWindows 10 is the most recent version of Windows, and the best to date in our opinion.

CPU:

Intel Core i7-9700K-€344
491,844 User benchmarks, average bench 96%
U3E1, 1 CPU, 8 cores, 8 threads
Base clock 3.6 GHz, turbo 4.35 GHz (avg)
Performing as expected (44th percentile)

Nvidia RTX 2080S (Super)-€662
243,377 User benchmarks, average bench 138%
PNY(196E 1342) ≥ 4GB
CLim: 2100 MHz, MLim: 3875 MHz, Ram: 8GB, Driver: 472.12
Performing below potential (52nd percentile)

Kingston A400 480GB-€47
212,844 User benchmarks, average bench 75%
377GB free (System drive)
Firmware: SBFKB1D1
SusWrite @10s intervals: 255 229 289 271 286 276 MB/s
Performing below potential (27th percentile) - Ensure that this drive is connected to a SATA 3.0 port with a SATA 3.0 cable

WD Blue 2TB (2015)-€56
231,331 User benchmarks, average bench 65%
2TB free
Firmware: 80.00A80
SusWrite @10s intervals: 144 146 147 148 152 148 MB/s
Performing way above expectations (98th percentile)

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB-€57
560,461 User benchmarks, average bench 84%
2 of 4 slots used
16GB DIMM DDR4 clocked @ 2666 MHz
Performing as expected (58th percentile

I would look at your network and/or wifi card drivers and update them (Open "Device manager" -> expand Network adapters). Sometimes you have to disable and re-enable them as well. Seems like things are lagging out on you when you are doing network intensive tasks. On my home PC I disable my wifi card since I am connected via cable so there is no interference. There have been times when my system updates and decides to activate both cards so I have to disable it again.

I would look at your network and/or wifi card drivers and update them (Open "Device manager" -> expand Network adapters). Sometimes you have to disable and re-enable them as well. Seems like things are lagging out on you when you are doing network intensive tasks. On my home PC I disable my wifi card since I am connected via cable so there is no interference. There have been times when my system updates and decides to activate both cards so I have to disable it again.
done that as well.
Wifi is disabled and for the ethernet I installed latest drivers.

There is one other thing I could double check.

The Dimms.

The motherboard has 4 dimm slots.
The current Dimms are placed in hte slots in this order: 1 empty, 1 dimm, 1 empty 1 dimm.
But when looking closely at a picture of the motherboard I see the following order:
DDR4_4
DDR4_2
DDR4_3
DDR4_1
(https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/1164481/gigabyte-b360-aorus-gaming-3-wifi-rev-10/specificaties/)

As I read in the manual with 2x 8 GB dimms they should be placed either 2 + 4 or 1 + 3.
(https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...0613_e.pdf?v=9943bec5e0ee6ee3ef28f0143f9c99c3)

So if I interpret the motherboard correctly the DIMMS should be placed right besides eachother instead of having an empty slot in between them.
But as mentioned before, I'm no expert and have no idea if this could possibly cause the problems.

I will try this first before re-installing windows.

done that as well.
Wifi is disabled and for the ethernet I installed latest drivers.

There is one other thing I could double check.

The Dimms.

The motherboard has 4 dimm slots.
The current Dimms are placed in hte slots in this order: 1 empty, 1 dimm, 1 empty 1 dimm.
But when looking closely at a picture of the motherboard I see the following order:
DDR4_4
DDR4_2
DDR4_3
DDR4_1
(https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/1164481/gigabyte-b360-aorus-gaming-3-wifi-rev-10/specificaties/)

As I read in the manual with 2x 8 GB dimms they should be placed either 2 + 4 or 1 + 3.
(https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...0613_e.pdf?v=9943bec5e0ee6ee3ef28f0143f9c99c3)

So if I interpret the motherboard correctly the DIMMS should be placed right besides eachother instead of having an empty slot in between them.
But as mentioned before, I'm no expert and have no idea if this could possibly cause the problems.

I will try this first before re-installing windows.
You have them installed correctly, no worries.
DDR4_1 should be installed first, then DDR4_2, etc.
This follows the rule that you should start with the outer ram slot and always leave a spot in between for the next one.

You're just confusing the ram number and slot position.

Either way, misplacement of ram should only make ram not run in dualchannel mode and would not explain your problem.

Btw, what slot is your gpu in?

(edit) Also:
I believe you've configured it correctly but I'd suggest you try going to device manager and disable the integrated graphics.

Last edited:
You have them installed correctly, no worries.
DDR4_1 should be installed first, then DDR4_2, etc.
This follows the rule that you should start with the outer ram slot and always leave a spot in between for the next one.
Ow, so I read it wrongly then.

Ok, I think I see it now.
The four memory sockets are divided into two channels and each channel has two memory sockets as following:
Channel A: DDR4_2, DDR4_4
Channel B: DDR4_1, DDR4_3

So 1 DIMM in channel A (2) and the other in Channel B (1)

Indeed, when that means 1 empty slot between them.

Bugger.
Lol, hoped that was the thing.. Ok, so no need to take that apart then ;)

Back