My Mining Journey (A Sequel)

Go hunt vixens till mayhem like you said you would do, lol
Someone was being a turd burglar today and one-shotting every mob in the parking lot so that, when you would eventually shoot them, you would waste ammo and the person who made the first shot would loot. It was very, very nasty...

Final run of the day -

Run 35 - unamped
TT Cost - 387
TT Return - 459 (118.60%)
Weighted MU % - 2.81%

Got back the earlier losses it would seem.

TOTAL SINCE LOGGING
TT COST - 15,284
TT RETURN - 14,755 (96.53% TT)

Last edited:
Had a little free time this morning so I figured I'd go for a run (or two).

Run 37 - unamped
TT Cost - 210
TT Return - 210 (100% TT)
Weighted MU % - 4.76%

First run went so well I figured I'd go for a second with a little amp juice.

Run 38 - 1x d-class
TT Cost - 211
TT Return - 49 (23.22% TT) OUTDOORS lol

I hit 4 claims in 40 drops....grrrrrrr

Last edited:
After that terrible last run, I made the mistake of feeling like the system owed me something. Trying to force it to give back a little, I decided to try some triple drops.

Run 39 - unamped
TT Cost - 660
TT Return - 553 (83.78% TT)

Lesson Learned.

Went for a more conservative run, but still no juice...

Run 40 - unamped
TT Cost - 135
TT Return - 100 (74.07% TT)

These last few runs have meant that I will need to deposit more in order to keep my mining bankroll going, which is a little disappointing, but I also have managed to acquire 65 New Treasure Island Deeds with my profits, so I probably didn't leave myself enough bankroll breathing room to survive poor runs like this in a row. Lesson learned.

Incoming deposit tomorrow for Mayhem will be about 5k peds and will be used explicitly for hunting during Mayhem (with maybe another small depo here or there). If all goes according to plan, hopefully I'll be able to merge whatever's left over to my mining bankroll after the event. I'm planning to post up in Category 1 despite being fairly mid-high level (60+ for most professions) so I'm hopeful that the TT results and MU results will be appropriate. Always open to hearing any feedback or suggestions that anyone has about how to hunt more efficiently on a smaller bankroll.

Run 41 - unamped
TT Cost - 424
TT Return -376 (88.67% TT)

Run 42 - 1 L5 amp
TT Cost - 360
TT Return - 332 (92.22% TT)

I'm really hoping a restorative HOF is coming...

I know this is a mining journal, so I'll keep the hunting commentary to a minimal, but I have to say I'm surprised at how well this Mayhem is going so far for just a L33 mutant looter and basic L Armatrix weapons:

That Total Return figure includes shrap conversions but does not include boxes, tokens, or any other goodies like output amp components, so a really good 4.5 hour start! I plan to use the shrapnel to mine each day at the end of the day before cycling back into the event. I am only doing cat 1, so hopefully things stay this good!

To say this has been a strange Mayhem so far would be an extreme understatement for me.

Originally, my plan was to hunt each day, save all the shrapnel, convert, and then mine out the ammo. The expectation was that I would lose money hunting and gain money mining setting me back to a near neutral level each day.

Unfortunately, and strangely, the exact opposite has been the case. I have consistently lost money mining lately and either barely broken even or even profited slightly from hunting with average returns around 98%. It just makes no sense given mining vs. hunting levels.

Run 44 - 1x L5 amp
TT Cost - 360
TT Return - 239
Weighted MU % - 4.68%

SINCE LOGGING:
TT Cost - 20364
TT Return - 19115 (93.86% TT)

Not only have my returns decreased, but my average markup has decreased as well from 10+% to ~5%...not good.

I tried double dropping ore and enmatter to cycle PED faster, but right now I am able to make more with enmatter so I'm going to go back to single dropping. Yes, it's slower. But hopefully the TT comes back up to that nice 96-97% range and I can manage to pull MU of 110-115% moving forward.

Last edited:
I wouldn't put too much thought into your returns, it takes a really large cycle to see your actual expected averages. Yesterday in Mayhem I cycled 40k PED with 10k kills and averaged 87% TT returns, but at the end of every month my returns always find their way back to around 95-96% without any huge HOFs so I'm not too fussed.

An important lesson everyone will eventually have to learn is proper bankroll management to account for those consecutive terrible runs in a row.

I wouldn't put too much thought into your returns, it takes a really large cycle to see your actual expected averages. Yesterday in Mayhem I cycled 40k PED with 10k kills and averaged 87% TT returns, but at the end of every month my returns always find their way back to around 95-96% without any huge HOFs so I'm not too fussed.

An important lesson everyone will eventually have to learn is proper bankroll management to account for those consecutive terrible runs in a row.
I'm definitely trying not to focus on it too much. To put things into perspective, L5 amps frequently hit 1k+ claims. That would mean that a single drop could instantly turn me TT positive over a 20k+ cycle. So TT positivity/negativity really doesn't matter too much. In reality, being TT negative may actually be a good thing as it makes it more likely that you have a mean reversion on a high MU claim (assuming mining in the right areas, of course).

Rather, I'm just writing to "talk out loud" to myself about how to focus on MU. Just like a hunter has to hunt the right mobs, a miner has to mine the right areas for the right materials. Over time, MU wins. I'm just reminding myself of that consistently, which is why I think I like journaling like this :)

Edit:

Run 45 - L5 amp
TT Cost - 310
TT Return - 319 (102.90% TT)
Weighted MU % - 9.71% (better....)

Last edited:
Thought I might be able to find some solace in shooting….

2 hours in Cat 1 with 82% returns and no globals. At least with mining I feel like I have more control…back out we go!

Edit:

Run 47 - unamped
TT Cost - 261
TT Return - 323 (123.75% TT)
Weighted MU % - 23.21%

Finally a really good MU run...bought some deeds with profits and going back mining.

Last edited:
About to be away for a few days on a family trip, looking forward to it!

Run 48 - 1x L5 amp and 1x Terra 6 Amp
TT Cost - 805
TT Return - 477 (59.25% TT)
Weighted MU % - 12.99%

Getting the markup we want, but golly it's impossible with TT returns like that.

New tinfoil hat theory: MA wants me to never mine with amps again...

Tinfoil hat theory obliterated...

Run 49 - 3x T6 amps
TT Cost - 1419
TT Return - 1569 (110.57% TT)
Weighted MU % - 32.69% thanks to a huge pyrite claim

Took some of the earnings and bought some more deeds. Sure, they don't pay out a whole ton...but at least it helps me to see that I'm growing and building a base, so to speak.

Last edited:
You know how earlier we were talking about how a single 1k hit could put me back to TT positive or rather close to it? Hit a 635 pyrite earlier today that brought in a nice 400+ peds of MU and then hit that 1k+ iron above (no MU but still fun to see).

Run 50 - 1x T6 Amp
TT Cost - 472
TT Return - 1498 (317.37% TT)
Weighted MU - de minimus (this is the one piece about this that will hurt pretty badly over the long term)

TOTAL SINCE LOGGING:
TT Cost - 25,117
TT Return - 24,545 (97.72% TT)

Just had one of the best runs so far in terms of MU. It also took us back to TT Positive land:

Run 54 - 3x T6 Amps
TT Cost - 1416
TT Return - 2016 (142.07% TT)
Weighted MU % - 22.17%

SINCE LOGGING:
TT Cost - 30,669
TT Return - 30,840 (100.55% TT)

Run 55 - 2x T6 Amps
TT Cost - 944
TT Return - 683 (72.35% TT)
Weighted MU % - 7.46%

The low TT return doesn't bother me, but I'm a little disappointed by how little MU I found with this run :/

Last edited:
I made two mistakes tonight. The first was starting a new run at midnight my time...bad decision. Thank goodness I have work off tomorrow or that decision could have been really costly.

The second mistake had to do partially with experimentation and partially with greed.

Lately, I've been able to purchase Terra 6 amps at ~106% MU. To me, they're a no-brainer at this price since they only cost ~1% more than d-class or L5 amps right now and they increase my cycle speed drastically. More importantly, I've been getting 7-20% weighted MU pretty consistently lately, so I had a pretty good feeling that I could breakeven or better with these.

Buying Terra 6 amps wasn't the mistake. Buying Terra 7 amps WAS.

Encouraged by my 20+% MU run today, I thought, "Why not increase the cycle speed even more and cash in on more markup?" However, I recognized two things while using four of these amps. First, consolidating 400 PED (the cost of the amp) into 40 drops versus working 360 PED into 56 drops (as with the Terra 6 amps) felt far more like gambling. Every drop, I was hoping for "the big one" to land. With Terra 6, I know that I can have a full run of normal-sized drops and come out just fine after MU...not so with Terra 7.

Second, and maybe more importantly, using Terra 7 ruined my loot comp :/

TL;DR - I wouldn't recommend using Terra 7 amps unless you feel like gambling. Then, I would recommend taking a cold shower until you don't feel like gambling anymore.

Run 56 - 4x T7 Amps
TT Cost - 1920
TT Return - 1499 (78.07% TT)
Weighted MU % - 5.13%

Back