Question: Should Calypso be rebuilt the same in Unreal Engine 5?

Should Calypso be rebuilt exactly the same in Unreal Engine 5?

• Total voters
Perhaps newer players who've just collected the TPs by asking for free rides don't appreciate this as much, but players who've journeyed through Teleporter runs or otherwise planned and executed grand adventures to collect some of the TPs value them a lot. Ripping Teleporters away that we've earned would feel to many like ripping items out of our Inventories.

It would really be amazing to have a real city where every building has a purpose and every estate is used.

It would really be amazing to have a real city where every building has a purpose and every estate is used.

I am very curious about this... I would guess that +80% of the houses spread around Calypso are unused... owned by inactive avatars. Are they just going to develop new massive empty neighborhoods for all the housing deed holders to never login to claim? Just hoping they manage it right and the "feel" of the cities/tows/neighborhoods is alive and not a massive ghost-town from the start.

(basically can we not repeat the giant failure of the CLD estate plots)

And for the love of god please shrink down the scale of these upcoming cities if they are all gong to be redone... it’s always been too big and too empty. Maybe I just miss the busy PA selling @ boxes and Twin ring days.

Last edited:
Id like a mix of new and old.

OLD SOUNDTRACK

You talk about the old soundtrack and I have to say something about it.

When I joined Entropia in 2006, it wasn't for the soundtrack, it was because of the RCE concept. But once I was in and started playing, I really DID enjoy the music inside the game. The whole feel and look of things was one cohesive whole; I felt I really had been transported to a new world to colonize it, that this was new territory and that the possibilities were tremendous. The visuals, the sounds, it was great. There was this dreamy and sometimes eerie feel to the whole thing.

Ultimately though, I have to be honest; did I keep playing it because of the soundtrack? No. Did the soundtrack keep me logging in and keep me staying with Entropia and not leaving? No. The soundtrack doesn't make the game. By itself, it will not bring in new players or keep the ones that are there, it takes more than that.

However, music has played an important role in my life and has always been present, so I do think it's an important ingredient of the feel of the game because the primary perceptions being engaged are sights and sounds.

There are some artists that might be able to give justice to the classic Entropia by refreshing some of the vintage sounds, I think of someone such as DJ Sasha (Alexander Paul Coe) who is an amazing artist, maybe Trentemoller whose music is a bit darker at times. Maybe Deadmau5 (there are a lot of well known Canadian players in Entropia for some reason), not to mention that Deadmau5 is a fellow gamer, though more into the arena-type online FPS genre. Seven Lions' music is very dreamlike, fantasy type of sound, not really the sci-fi or spacey kind, but if he slows it down a little, maybe.

Anyway, as I said, the music in itself is not what will bring in new players or keep the ones we have, unless... If MindArk builds up the excitement and anticipation for the new UE5 game, and can attach a few big names to the production, it might help them have a very successful launch. Who knows how many you might be able to bring in with a world renowned artist's name attached to your game. There was a bit of a frenzy a year ago for Sandbox land and they had Snoop Dogg and DeadMau5 affiliated with that one.

In itself, that wouldn't be enough, you would then have to have a good game, but if you do have a good game, it could be worth it.

Last edited:
it is likely in MA's best interest to add more/new landmasses on top of what already exists for the future sale of new LAs...

existing LAs and property interests are the reason they cannot and will not scrap the map.

Tell that to the people with the cave shops
Or all the flat LA with new mountains

Blow it all to hell and rebuild it anew.

So please vote, I don't see your vote anywhere! Maybe you just forgot to press the "cast vote" button bottom right 😊

Regardless if they rebuild it or not the transition to unreal 5 engine and all its features it will barely resemble the current game

Half the fun when not doing regular HMC activities in EU (apart from social aspects of chatting with ppl) is getting out and discovering things. So i'm all for a complete refresh as it will give people some interesting things to do whilst not doing RCE stuff.

Why not make things discoverable by really difficult missions. By difficult I mean not discovered in 30seconds by TPing somewhere but by doing a number of activities, exploration and collections. So maybe these take a few weeks and the missions NPC's are not so easy to find and only 1 per avatar. The reward is you get the chance to name the thing, place, building, mountain, etc (subject to MA vetting, as funny as it is we don't need boaty mcboatface's or dick slappers). Avatars might post in PCF for help in naming a place. So there is lots of engaging stuff to do. So things like stones, fruits, plants, mobs, features, waterways, buildings, even NPC's ought to have names. So many options there for some genuine relatively free fun.

I would love to see a number of places renamed after our former players who are no longer with us (maybe they have dual names for a short period to support transition). If i passed away i'd be rapt to have a building or one of the bars named Westy's Tavern. The community can nominate players who have left this mortal coil and we can maybe cast a few votes or seconds to get it done.

I dont mind if Twin Peaks actually got two twin peaks or if Port Atlantis remains or if Zychion goes or stays or Mino gets a new hairdo.

The people that own property there do.

I just hope that they reconsider changing Port Atlantis that much. It was a decent place, crowded with many players and never quiet. Even Twin Peaks was more crowded before. They should make Port Atlantis more what is was and move the eye-candy area away a bit, e.g. with an elevator. A mission could guide newcomers through that part, but the experienced ones have their own plans when landing at Port Atlantis. Manoeuvring around there became a bit tedious. I also never understood why the newcomers had to land at Camp Icarus.

Arkadia did a similar thing, in a sense. Built a city, focused people on it - added amenities. Then when they finally sold the shops, they re-arranged things to focus activity at the quarry.

I own a booth on Caly and besides my nostalgia - its primary value is location. An odd spot that, as they re-developed for cry-engine accidentally got useful - while people cried and cried about what happened to their properties. I sort of expect that in UE5 it will become a useless backwater, while they add new shops and booth to new areas - and then sell them at auction to new players.

Whyn'tchew let us put things on the ground again? Wow I woke up to two thread poking my "nostalgia button" today and comments on the argo model :LOL:

It's hard to be a steward of "value" when you're in a market where many people want, even need, continuous change. As far as keeping things fun - they set that aside years ago to focus on "e-sports" and whatnot. It seems they dropped most of that line and then nobody ever picked up on making things fun again.

They should also polish the terrains (and textures!),

Ahhh yeah the poll about the argos is very telling here. MA forever has to balance their big spenders against the hope of new money.

Yes Atrax, the word nostalgia is here again :)! Taking this a bit further, we have nostalgia for the elements in the past that we did not get tired of over time. Sometimes we did even get a bit tired of some stuff, but with hindsight it appears to us as a lot better than what we have now.

That said, isn't this something the devs should try to create with as much of the new stuff as possible? Create new stuff that would make us nostalgic if it were to be taken away again. What is that? Well, we have already been mentioning some favourite places and what provides the mood, such as the original music, and what made environments great even if the graphics were not very advanced.

Yes, locations of shops etc will be a tricky subject I feel. Personally I believe the distance to the nearest tp is one of the biggest factors in value and footfall, but we also have insta-teleport rings being used more now, not just televator with floor select. (NI uses flowers to quickly move players around the carvival area, for example.) I'd thus design new UE5 with a main tp and a ring of mini teleports just outside the spawning radius of the main tp. Players who have discovered which shopping spot they prefer could thus quickly jaunt to within a few paces, even with loads of shops in the new UE5.

Last edited:
Legends: the soundtrack didn't make the game for you! But for many others it may have been what got them to log in, varying with mood, pedcard etc. It may well have thus helped with player retention, even socially if I used doing a tp run with somebody as an excuse for visiting a remote landscape with alien music and vegetation. It's also great to see someone thrilled at something new, and be a part of showing them that!

MA have said that exploration will be a major part of the new UE5, as well as emergent gameplay. Maybe it will be up to us to settle new areas and even unlock the revival of much-loved elements, whether it be the ability to put stuff on the ground again in an area, to selecting an original sound track or so. Please MA, just make sure to inform us somehow of roughly what you have programmed into the emergent stuff. Obviously you cannot tell us what is possible through emergence, but hasn't been planned specifically, though...

Thus, please include as many of the personal positives as possible, for Legends, myself, and many others - RCE, good ambient music, items placeable on the ground, maybe even things we did that were not directly intended. What did we call the one action, bumsliding? Being able to glitch and start flying was also fun and sometimes even useful back in the day when some mobs were not easily passed...

Yes Atrax, the word nostalgia is here again :)

Yeah some of that passes soon. I've been hanging around almost two months again so still enjoying a bit of "oh yeah..." moments.

I'm fully down for new stuff. I like that new argo model too but, IDK why they're changing it around, make a new mob! Trivial, to be sure. They're going to have to do some of that anyways so sort of a moot point vs some of the other seemingly random model changes over the years.

As for stuff like the booth, that's "nostalgic" for me because of the series of events that led to me having it. Just more of a good memory, I guess. I haven't read much of the UE5 press though, and you just surprised me.

MA have said that exploration will be a major part of the new UE5, as well as emergent gameplay. ... Please MA, just make sure to inform us somehow of roughly what you have programmed into the emergent stuff. Obviously you cannot tell us what is possible through emergence, but hasn't been planned specifically, though...

Whaaat the heck?>

Every time there's been a hint of anything "emergent" happening in EU they seem to have reacted poorly and squashed it hard. They've removed almost everything from the game besides emotes.

You can't plan that or script/program "emergent gameplay" because it involves doing new things with existing tools. This would imply that they're going to let us do random stuff and that we will possibly be able to influence the worlds again?

Ahh I'm not sure if I should be excited or if someone just threw some random buzzword at a press release. Can you point me in any direction for info?

Yeah some of that passes soon. I've been hanging around almost two months again so still enjoying a bit of "oh yeah..." moments.

I'm fully down for new stuff. I like that new argo model too but, IDK why they're changing it around, make a new mob! Trivial, to be sure. They're going to have to do some of that anyways so sort of a moot point vs some of the other seemingly random model changes over the years.

As for stuff like the booth, that's "nostalgic" for me because of the series of events that led to me having it. Just more of a good memory, I guess. I haven't read much of the UE5 press though, and you just surprised me.

Whaaat the heck?>

Every time there's been a hint of anything "emergent" happening in EU they seem to have reacted poorly and squashed it hard. They've removed almost everything from the game besides emotes.

You can't plan that or script/program "emergent gameplay" because it involves doing new things with existing tools. This would imply that they're going to let us do random stuff and that we will possibly be able to influence the worlds again?

Ahh I'm not sure if I should be excited or if someone just threw some random buzzword at a press release. Can you point me in any direction for info?
They shouldn’t make new mobs, over 100 mobs have the same drop table already. It’s pointless to make new mobs without first fixing loot to make each unique

I kind of hope for a nuke, or rather robot takeover of Calypso, forcing colonists to colonize anew. Landmarks and cities can be rebuilt similarily but better than their old Calypso counterparts. New Port Atlantis, etc as afterall humans tend to build stuff to match what they know.

What is then Old Calypso can be used in lore for beacon style missions and/or events. Venture back to try to reclaim something that was lost.

All in all, I am just hoping to have as much exploration as possible to do after release.

@Atrax: The unreal devblog from Aug 10 on the forum here is almost exactly the same as the original bulletin from May 10.

Systemic Design

Systemic design involves different systems in the game reacting to each other:
  1. Entities in the game are set up to respond to predefined inputs and outputs
  2. If these inputs and outputs ‘match’, an outcome occurs involving these entities
Before we can really start populating our world with entities we must set up the basic rules of our world. These rules will form the basis for constructing reliable, consistent tools for maintaining our expanding world in the years to come.

A Living World

Users will be able to discover the ‘unspoken rules’ of our world by noting connections between world elements. Knowledge of these connections will help users 'navigate' the world more successfully.
On a grand scale, systemic design produces a living, vibrant world that reacts to the user and to elements within itself. It can lead to emergent gameplay, i.e. gameplay emerging from the interaction of multiple systems rather than the intentional designs of the developer. These varied interactions are stimulating, motivating users to experiment and explore.
It includes the above about both planned outcome responses, as well as accepting lots of unplanned stuff via combinations that hadn't been thought of specifically when planned outcomes were designed. You are right that until now, the combination of 'features' has been seen more as gaining an unfair advantage than making fair use of what you have found to be available.
As long as stuff isn't actually classed as being bugged, then I hope that combinations via interaction are indeed to be part of the 'living world' from now on.

However, smart minds in the past have been plenty able to think up what they would like to 'emerge' and sneak it past MA - erm I mean get it approved by MA. A lot of the emergent can thus be set up in part by the deliberately programmed stuff...

I also don't know how much has been buzzworded, and how much has had thought going into it, but the announcement in full is pretty well written in my opinion, and worth the read :)

I kind of hope for a nuke, or rather robot takeover of Calypso, forcing colonists to colonize anew. Landmarks and cities can be rebuilt similarily but better than their old Calypso counterparts. New Port Atlantis, etc as afterall humans tend to build stuff to match what they know.

What is then Old Calypso can be used in lore for beacon style missions and/or events. Venture back to try to reclaim something that was lost.

All in all, I am just hoping to have as much exploration as possible to do after release.
They should do a massive robot event when UE5 entropia is ready and make a new boss called ____ The World Ender or something that sounds cooler than Entropy The Purger and when the boss dies the servers shut down and then UE5 entropia is transferred to live servers.

I also don't know how much has been buzzworded, and how much has had thought going into it, but the announcement in full is pretty well written in my opinion, and worth the read :)

I will read the whole thing and thanks for the link, just that part is exciting. That explanation is pretty reasonable and sounds better thought out than just dropping a buzzword for sure.

Wow plenty of talk about nostalgia lately but I just got excited about possibilities in EU For the first time, in a very long time.

Sitting at 80 votes now on this poll, I think we can see where this is headed. I have been monitoring the results all along and the percentages have been pretty consistent along the way:

index.php

The way I designed this poll and the choice of answers is that the higher you are in the choice of answers, the more change you want to see; the further down the list you go, the more true to current form you want Calypso to remain.

I made this really gradual and tried my best to avoid any significant jump in the progession; in other words, this is a 'gradient scale' of how much Calypso you think should be changed, with "Everything should be changed" at the top, and "Nothing should be changed" at the bottom, and every gradient step in between.

We can see a clear divide here with close to zero in between: Roughly 30% of those who voted in the poll want "Everything" or close to everything changed, while the other 70% are mostly in the range of "Only keep the top 10-12 spots alike, change the rest" to "Keep the world map and all the TPs the same"

So the conscencus opinion lives somewhere around "#6: Most of the main locations on the map should remain true to current form, other changes welcomed", which is basically how MindArk handled the transition to CE2 back in, oh I forget now, was it 2010?

So?? "To change" or "Not to change", what's the answer??
So it seems to me that the safe bet here is to keep the Calypso map recognizable and actually, pretty similar to the current one, with most of the TPs having the same name and in relatively the same location they are on the map today. After all, that is what roughly 70% of the people who voted in the poll are asking for and expect. But what about the almost 1/3 who are open, or who actually would prefer a brand new world map to explore?

The demands of those who are asking for a "Brand new world map to explore" can be assuaged by simply introducing some new land (continents) to explore on Calypso, and/or simply creating a lot of new areas to explore around some of the most popular areas that will be recreated. For example, there are large areas around that seem to be largely abandoned, for example around Eos. Zephyrus, Fort Ares and Limnadian District TPs, and many other such examples. MA could keep the Calypso map exactly the same but use such real-estate as an opportunity to create brand new areas for players to explore.

Notice that there aren't really that many who are saying "Don't change anything! Re-create Calypso exactly the same!" If we include both #7 and #8 in that category, that gives us only 20%, which is not nothing, but also not a very significant segment.

Some other conclusions to draw from the results:
- If MA was to create a totally new Calypso where everything was completely new and different, they wouldn't alienate everyone, but they would at the very least disappoint approximately two-thirds of their current playerbase, so, really not a good idea.

- By accident or shear luck, MA did exactly the right amount of recreation of the original Calypso versus new map/areas to explore when they moved Entropia to CE2.

- The community actually can tolerate a lot of change. The word "most" in #6 is abstract and not specific, for some people it could mean 60%, for others it could mean 80%, but even if it were to be considered to mean 75%, that means that 25% of existing TPs could be moved, name changed, completely new areas, and the majority of the playerbase would actually be happy about that. The fact that #5 (more change than #6), has more votes than #7 (less change than #6), backs up this conclusion as well.

Cheers,
Legends

TLDR: the results of this poll show that MA should keep most of the more popular, better known areas of Calypso (think Fort Fury, Ithaca, and many others) mostly the same when re-creating Calypso in Unreal. But the poll also shows that they can go ahead and redesign other less popular areas fresh so players have something new to explore and discover.

Last edited:
Thanks for the assessment from votes so far. May I note that your question was about Caly, whilst EU itself is now a whole lot larger. When I consider the amount of mobs and content on a single down-sized planet such as Cyrene (1 server area from originally 4, I believe), it is clear that Caly could undergo absolutely massive changes and yet still have 'most' of the original tps and close radius almost unchanged.

Also, since the main first upheaval many moons ago, strange worlds known as instances have proven themselves to be viable environments, although I have found few if any to be as fun as beacon runs. Even the Jennifer Island noob bot run was put in and then taken away again, which I think is a pity.

Thinking about what I personally consider to be 'out of town', then at Fort Ithaca, for example, it would in the one direction be a bit past the stable and bristlehogs, and in another direction would start behind the initial spawn of atroxes. I could quite easily feel at home with the centre staying the same and a few teleport rings with instant transfer maybe 1km in each main compass direction to newer content. The land plot villages already have this feature to take people to and from the edges of the settled areas, but are rather empty of people at the moment .... because reasons!

I hope that MA is trying to keep the workload as low as possible, but also in tune with the array of altered functionality, which depends on how much it is simply easier to create new landscapes than copy them. Hopefully this thread is good as feedback to them, though, as a guide to how we feel.

Last edited:
We all had to deal with the flip flop of every darn thing at vu 10. Time for a new generation to relearn every blasted thing and have to recapture every tp and the spirit of just how dynamic Entropia really is! :)

Make every mall shop estate now be a shack in the woods far away from everything else with weeds so tall you cannot enter the main hallway (similar to the flip flop that turned every building around at vu 10, that put some booths up on ceiling, sand traps in halls no one could access em, and put mobs next to cities without turrets, etc. so no one could reach em, and made booths unable to be used for about a six month period of time). I'm sure there'll be no support tickets as a result.

Make vehicles no longer work outside of a road. Flying vehicles should not be allowed except in special military fly zones. Every city should be destroyed to look like Zychion does with crumbled buildings, etc. and Hadesheim rebuilt as the new capital, along with all new estates in that city that will be on auction at insanely high start bids on global auction. ... oh, and no more auctioneers at every town, you have to go to the one npc auctioneer in Hadesheim to do any bidding... no more faps either... have to visit the hospital in Hadesheim any time your avatar gets injured. If you die everything you carried becomes lootable. When you revive you are at the only revive terminal on the planet that is a 10 mile walk from the nearest tp. ...

or better yet, no tps at all exist, and have to be built from scratch with crafted items, and they will be L items that only have so many uses. Only tps that can exist must be crafted by those that own an estate, and you have to be put on guest list to use them.

The old Falco maps can be used as references by devs as they develop things.
I like that idea, but it's notgonnahappendotcom.

They should give incentive to invest, for all current LA's and all taxed lands (non LA's, like arkadia underground etc) there should not be a tax upon tax system. Basically MA will forfeit that portion of the tax to the LA owner. The hunter/miner will not lose the extra % TT return based on tax. I personally avoid taxed land like the plague because of how it currently works, even though I'd love to do some Arkadia underground hunting.
Also they should publicly confirm if they do this, so there's no doubt.

As for rebuilding the planet, they should see how a tiny planet like Cyrene can have such success. Mob densitity always good with almost never a reason to walk between mobs and never have to go far to reach your next destination.

They shouldn’t make new mobs, over 100 mobs have the same drop table already. It’s pointless to make new mobs without first fixing loot to make each unique

I don't see this as a problem, tbh. Let them have 150. People can go into the pixel space they enjoy, and fire at hitboxes they like to aim for.

All I'm saying is, If I wanted to shoot at a monkey man, I'd go to NI. One of the things that I do like about Caly is that over time even as they redid the mobs, there's a fairly consistent set of features and it's not usually earthlike. I see the pics of the OG model and this one is in fact closer though.

Nothing wrong with identical loot tables at all. Not enough different loot tables is another issue. TBH the way things are they could use a few less kinds of loot altogether :LOL:

Maybe Deadmau5 (there are a lot of well known Canadian players in Entropia for some reason), not to mention that Deadmau5 is a fellow gamer, though more into the arena-type online FPS genre. Seven Lions' music is very dreamlike, fantasy type of sound, not really the sci-fi or spacey kind, but if he slows it down a little, maybe.
In that case you'd want to ask Dezza to participate. Another fantastic Canadian EDM producer.

In that case you'd want to ask Dezza to participate. Another fantastic Canadian EDM producer.

Dezza is great but not known internationally yet the way that Deadmau5 is. Also, Dezza so far is very much EDM whereas when I think of Deadmau5 doing music for EU, I think of his album While(1<2), which shows he is capable of doing a variety of ambient mood music which could lend itself well to a virtual world like Entropia. And even still, Deadmau5 wouldn't be my first pick, I'd much rather like to see Dj Sasha involved.

I think mob spawns and densities could be made much more pocketed, like on Cyrene, where they wander much less. UE5 will make it far more visually viable to have clusters semi-hidden away. In areas with ruins/military bases all the way to open vistas, the mob maturies are in tight spawn spots, only moving around when you get close to them.
As far as loots go, if MA keeps the underlying concept of feeding pools of loot via waves, then please allow pps to layer the spawns a lot more freely, which includes choosing exact mob levels in the individual smaller groups to also have an impact on what is lootable at what levels of mob aggression.
For a Caly example, I can imagine the need for explorers to need to leave the roads by only a short distance to activate low-distance radar clumps, such as the beryl cluster by the river near the mega-volt, or even really close to a tp and service centre, such as little sabakumas at, is it half moon cove/bay? - on the way to the cave there. That reworked area (a while back) would be an example of what I find attractive, although it is an area with mostly very small mobs, and thus for new players especially.

TBH the way things are they could use a few less kinds of loot altogether :LOL:

Since I typed this out I've come back to it a couple of times, and I want to clarify.

Take extractors. Please clean that up. We need a couple of categories, let's say mineral, metal, and organic. You want strong and weak varieties? I'd rather not, adjust quantity per click.

Components. We need speed, power, and durability. You want strong and weak varieties? I'd rather not. Adjust quantity per click.

No mob needs more than 1-2 mob specific loots. Maybe three to encourage movement across maturities. With differences in environment, appearance, etc... and a TT in/out spread across maturities people will spread themselves around and do different things anyways. Less "fighting" over spawns and some other issues go away too.

In my opinion (which is actually a few years out of date with the changes at Toulan, Cyrene, and NI since I left) RT was the worst for this. Took things WAY too far in the wrong direction - worse than the old NI crystals, at least most of those were easy to get. When a mob has too many "special loots" they all become de-facto rare items just because there's not enough loot dropping in the first place.

This plays on into BP complexity as well. But end of the day, and in my opinion, they could simplify things a lot and it would actually improve engagement with several areas of the game. Sorry @Legends I know it's fully OT.

I'm also trying hard to keep a relevance (staying OT) to the shape and look of Caly in the future at various levels of 'zoom'. Loot variety is important for how well distances are managed, and how well players spread out or congregate in the environment. Loot waves may affect advantages for alts, simply swapping to a different virtually running sibling instead of having to travel to a wave that will have been dried before genuine travelling avatars can get somewhere (else). It all ties in to how areas and movement costs are structured (time and possibly peds, maybe via food consumption from running) in whatever MA throws at us. Insta-teleport rings may make travelling times very low in an attempt to not disadvantage genuine single-avatar players, but a new high metabolism cost (food) could also be used to dissuade spawned but inactive brothers and sisters waiting to 'activate'. Loots could be increased to cycle almost all of this new metabolism cost back to active players.

It's just one example of how what looks like a completely unrelated problem of alts can tie into how MA plans landscapes, travelling, activities and time itself on Caly and elsewhere in the future.

I thus see this poll as a strong aid to MA in designing UE5 Caly at a zoomed out level, whilst we can also discuss what we think within this, such as the spread and variety of loots in mobs, and how a revival of the old Twin Peaks argos etc. might work, or for newer Twin Peaks an implementation of travelling out in a land vehicle along that narrow road with the mini spawn near the big corner half way along, before opening out onto the plains.

Why we might choose to go out to the plains due to a higher mob level and strong extractor rather than weak will depend on markets, demand within professions etc. in the bigger picture, but I hope a lot of Caly hubs stay recognisable in UE5.

It won't happen you won't see completly new map because all the shops will loose their value and there will be a lot of outraged investors if their shop is not in the same place as it was !

Back