What can you do with a hanger

INTERNUT

Alpha
Society
Freelancer
INTERNUT
So what can you do with a hanger, like the one's at North Space Base, etc, on Calypso? For instance can you spawn mobs, or what can you do?

The CryEngine 2 system update is still new and not all prior functionality has been reimplemented. Please have some patience. Spaceship and hangar functionality will be integrated as more aspects of CryEngine 2 are unraveled in the coming months.

What can you do with a hanger?
Firstly, you can hang
Secondly, you can use shopkeepers to turn it into a shop that remind of a flea market
Third, you can get drunk over that fact that you probably never will be able to land a space ship there as it was originaly intended
Fourth, you can /pogo

only if you have a shopkeeper or do manual p2p sales... you cannot convert hanger item points in to shop points...
Ah I see. So I couldn't display stuff on tables then, ah well.

May be more of an outside the box option but host events?
What sort of events? I couldn't see any furtilizer stations so couldn't spawn mobs.

For me its more about what they once were which was launch space ships into space and the potential for them to be in the future
Right, so they were actually used for getting into space. Not much chance of that now seeing as you can hitch a ride in someone's quad-wing.

Hangar owners were "compensated" for losing its space use with a privateer. What's left is fancy real estate.
That must have been a fair number of owners then, as I've noticed quite a few hangers on calypso.

Another good idea, although I'd have to buy a crafting machine as well from auction.
There are terminals inside hangars already.

I'll agree with others that mentioned having a shop. At the prices you'd pay for estate + shopkeepers, you'll get a whole lot more item points for shop items by buying an actual shop (maybe excluding small PA shops) than you would trying to make an estate work as a shop.

If it is a high quality hanger, you can hang someone with it.

Edit: Shit, should have read the thread first, @halftoasted beat me to it :)

There are terminals inside hangars already.

I'll agree with others that mentioned having a shop. At the prices you'd pay for estate + shopkeepers, you'll get a whole lot more item points for shop items by buying an actual shop (maybe excluding small PA shops) than you would trying to make an estate work as a shop.
Didn't know about crafting machines in hangers, so thanks for saying. Last time I saw a shop in auction it was about 70k iirc and even a shop stall was about 55k, but there's a hanger for about 30k. That wouldn't include additional costs for shopkeepers, but...

Didn't know about crafting machines in hangers, so thanks for saying. Last time I saw a shop in auction it was about 70k iirc and even a shop stall was about 55k, but there's a hanger for about 30k. That wouldn't include additional costs for shopkeepers, but...
Shops are usually 20-40k, maybe a bit more for some like in TP just due to demand. Sometimes lower too I’m somewhere like Deer Mall. I’ve never seen a shop sell for 70k though.

Hangars though I’ve seen for closer to 18-20k. If you honestly were going to get an estate for shopkeepers, then and apartment, etc. would be much cheaper.

Not only craft machines, also auction, trade terminal, repair and storage are in place at the bar. Let's say they are like a fancy apartment connect to the grid. I like their style and I think they fit well in our sci-fi game.

PS: the thread title says hanger instead of hangar :wise::p

thats a great idea - the shops would be much more lively if the traffic actually passed by them and the shopkeepers were live people. people do jobs in this game so it's not a far stretch to see hired hands managing them while you are away.

So that's why hangers are always empty! Because you can TP direct to bigger ships which made hangers obsolete.
Before the space as we know it, which was added in 2010, hangars were the means of travel to CP and CND. There was no actual flying in space, no space at all - you would enter someone's hangar, sit inside the static model of a ship inside it, and watch an animation, and then you were at the destination. Basically an elaborate private teleporter. Here's how it looked from the outside, but it also was just an animation, no ship was actually going anywhere. The people inside hangar would just disappear and appear inside the "CND" instance.

When the actual space was created, every hangar owner got them a privateer, a fully functional spaceship. But the old hangars also doubled as estates, houses. To compensate for that function, they also got the current "hangars" which are just houses, nothing else. Some argue that privateers don't provide the ability to board it from a planet, but for that every hangar owner also got unlimited Space Thruster, so they go to space and back without any additional cost, and then teleport to their ship from space station. Yes, it means additional steps but the whole space thing got immensely bigger than before. When you grow up, you tend to do more steps, you see.

The mistake that MA made was to make the compensative estates look like space hangars, retaining the perceived connection between them and spaceships, which raised the expectations and demands for an actual functional connection (like privateers landing into them). That never was the idea, and it's awkward to still hear it being pushed for15 years later. Most hangars aren't even owned by the ships owners anymore, but are hoarded by "investors" who are most vocal in lobbying the functionality ideas, for instant 10x profit on their investment.

The mistake that MA made was to make the compensative estates look like space hangars, retaining the perceived connection between them and spaceships, which raised the expectations and demands for an actual functional connection (like privateers landing into them). That never was the idea, and it's awkward to still hear it being pushed for15 years later. Most hangars aren't even owned by the ships owners anymore, but are hoarded by "investors" who are most vocal in lobbying the functionality ideas, for instant 10x profit on their investment.

Your not usually wrong but in this case you couldn't be further from the truth. I don't think it was a mistake for having hangars look like space hangars. I suspect they were planning on using hangars for a space ship to go from a hangar into space. However something went wrong perhaps they ran out of time and had to rush something out and cut corners perhaps they outsourced space development to a third party who messed up. We don't know the details and probably will never know.

Having said that there is plenty of evidence to suggest I'm right e.g. this statement by MA:
However, we are still including the history of the hangars in future plans for how to develop the infrastructure of the planets and the connection to space.
- Magnus Eriksson
Taken from 2020 AMA in this thread:
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...l-hangars-have-a-useful-purpose-again.277652/

They have said similar things in other places. Anyway from their statement above space and its connection to planets is very much in their thoughts for future development as is the role hangars play in those future development plans. So they are not just "regular estates".

Back