Residue FAQ

Darkaner

Stalker
Society
Silly Underground Family
Keiser Darkaner Söze
I have noticed there's a lot of confusion about residue, even among the more experienced players, so here's a little FAQ. Let me know if I've missed something.

Here we go:

What is residue? :scratch2:
Residue is something you get mainly when crafting and hunting. When crafting, the residue pops up in the loot window on successful or near successful attempts. Depending on what raw materials (ores, enmatters, animal oils, robot components and/or tailoring materials) you were using you get different kinds of residue. Residue also drops for hunters and (on rare occasions) miners.

The following table shows how it works:

(Type of residue: Comes from)

Metal residue: Crafting with ores, crafting furniture that only use wood components.
Energy residue: Crafting with enmatters
Animal oil residue: Crafting with animal oils, Hunting (most mobs drop oil residue)
Robot residue: Crafting with robot components, Hunting (robots), Mining (robot spacecrafts), Robot Beacon missions
Tailoring remnants: Crafting and tailoring with wool, hide etc

What is it used for? :confused:
Residue is used for increasing the tt value of crafted items, and is only useful when crafting limited (L) items. You can use it when crafting non-limited items as well, but it is pointless to do so since you can get these items to max tt in the repair terminal. You can not use residue when crafting stackables (basic filters, standard dampers etc). The tt of the crafted item will be raised with the exact tt value of the residue added.

Why do I use it? :scratch:
Limited items can not be repaired, so it is important to craft them at as high tt value as possible. It is a way for crafters to get more profit (or limit their losses) since they sell the items for a certain percentage. 5% of 100 peds is more than 5% of 10 peds.

How do I use it? :ahh:
Simply drag it into the crafting machine together with the ingredients. You can use several different types of residue at the same time, and if you put too much in you will get the remaining residue in return (so don't worry about that). But be careful with using multiple types of residue, since metal residue seems to be used first until it's all gone.

When deciding what residue to use for your limited item you need to look at:

1. Blueprint ingredients. Look at the table above. If the blueprint needs ores, you can use metal residue. If it needs enmatters, you can use energy residue. If it needs animal oils, you can use animal oil residue etc.

2. Residue price. Always use the cheapest residue possible. If metal residue costs 120% and you can use animal oil residue which your friends will give you for tt, you should of course use animal oil residue.

Example: You have a Breer M4a (L) BP. This blueprint needs:

Binary energy (enmatter)
Kanerium (ore)
Animal Pancreas gland oil
Animal Thyroid gland oil
Electropositive Modulator

This means that you can use metal, energy and animal oil residue (we can forget about the Electropositive modulator as it is a crafted component). The clever crafter would then use animal oil residue as it is the cheapest one. The Breers maxed tt value is 175.6 and will probably use around 150 peds of residue, but to be on the safe side you should put at least 175 peds in there as you will get the remaining residue back anyway.

Residue prices :twocents:
Today, metal residue is the most expensive one, then energy, then oil and robot. Oil and robot residue comes from hunting so finding them for tt is very easy. Tailoring remnants are pretty much useless (I think you can use them for crafting whips, limited armor and other bp's that need tailoring materials, but I'm not sure). Metal residue is expensive because of some popular blueprints that only uses ores as ingredients, for example the ore amps.

Do I get more globals/hofs when I use residue? :money:
No. And residue used will not be counted towards the value of any global/hof

How do tailoring remnants work?
Tailoring remenants do not work with hides or wool, only refined tailoring materials. So if the blueprint needs hides/wool, remnants wont help you get higher tt. But if the blueprint needs refined materials (wool thread, cloth etc) it will. (thanks Mandy).

Last edited:
I have noticed there's a lot of confusion about residue, even among the more experienced players, so here's a little FAQ. Let me know if I've missed something.

Here we go:

What is residue? :scratch2:
Residue is something you get while crafting, hunting and mining. When

What residue do you get while mining?

Robot residue, if you find a robot ship.

Lol, you were prepared for that one, weren't you?! ;)

Thanks for putting this list together. I managed to find some info in some seperate threads, but that still left some things unclear. This is a very good and complete guide!

Rep given.

Nice. When crafting, and an item can use either metal or energy residue, will it pull from one or both stacks when making the item?

Metal residue: Crafting with ores

And wood only. Craft small plugs anything that just takes wood you get metal residue.

Dual residues in so far as energy and metal use metal first till it's all gone.

Tailoring remnants far as i know it' sonly used for clothing. Never tried it with anything else. But it works on shoes shirts pants etc.

Also..............

Stackables least far as i've tried it do not use your residues.

I've slapped metal residue in my windows all teh time for it and it just builds and builds never gets used up. Unless the stackable has a high tt value.

Most are 0.01 so resi never gets used.

I'm sure any stackable with say 1 pedor more in vlaue woudl use up residue though.

That seems to be the way ti works if it can use it to increase vlaue it will. If the item can't increase in vlaue it won't.

Ie it won't give you 500 more screws. Which is too bad I wouldn't mind making more stackables with my residue.

Last edited:
nice one and yes you did sound prepared for the question:)

Well, I did already mention it in the main post : "Robot residue: Crafting with robot components, Hunting (robots), Mining (robot ships)". :)

Btw... Anyone know if you get robo residue from beacon missions as well?

Midnght said:
And wood only. Craft small plugs anything that just takes wood you get metal residue.

Info added.

Midnght said:
Dual residues in so far as energy and metal use metal first till it's all gone.

Info added. If anyone knows in what order all residues are used, please let me know. :)

Last edited:
I thought residue could be used in place of materials as well. In the Breer example if you didn't have animal pancreas gland oil you could use animal oil residue in place of it. Not sure where I heard this.:scratch2: Don't do enough crafting to confirm or deny this.

Example: You have a Breer M4a (L) BP. This blueprint needs:

Binary energy (enmatter)
Kanerium (ore)
Animal Pancreas gland oil
Animal Thyroid gland oil
Electropositive Modulator

Tailoring remnants far as i know it' sonly used for clothing. Never tried it with anything else. But it works on shoes shirts pants etc.

At som point , tailoring remanant was used to craft som "new" tool that use other tailoring componant , like the animal brush.I dont know if that still like that or been "fixed"...
It would be interessing to do a test on the new armor that use tailoring material , like orca.

I thought residue could be used in place of materials as well. In the Breer example if you didn't have animal pancreas gland oil you could use animal oil residue in place of it. Not sure where I heard this.:scratch2: Don't do enough crafting to confirm or deny this.

nah you need to have all of the components required on the BP, otherwise it won't let you create the item. Residue is just an 'extra' , to make up the difference in TT value that you'd be lacking if you didn't use it. afaik it goes at a 1:1 ratio also.

Very well put together Darkener +rep to you.

It would be interessing to do a test on the new armor that use tailoring material , like orca.
It certainly does not work adding animal residue to Vivo T15 even though it uses Plastic I Springs which are made from only Eye/Thyroid animal oil.

It certainly does not work adding animal residue to Vivo T15 even though it uses Plastic I Springs which are made from only Eye/Thyroid animal oil.

Components count as metal, so for example;

A fictional bp uses:

5 Simple I Springs <-- allows metal res to be used
10 Adrenal Oil <-- allows animal res to be used

Could use metal or animal res.

+rep, great FAQ

Components count as metal, so for example;

A fictional bp uses:

5 Simple I Springs <-- allows metal res to be used
10 Adrenal Oil <-- allows animal res to be used

Could use metal or animal res.
Aye true, but as the simple springs are made from animal oils only i was expecting/hoping that this would allow animal residue to be added, but thats not the case.

I'm sure any stackable with say 1 pedor more in vlaue woudl use up residue though.

No. Only items with condition bar accepts residue.

Items which are stackable don't have a condition bar, therefore would never use any residues. Correct me if I am wrong please.

Items which are stackable don't have a condition bar, therefore would never use any residues. Correct me if I am wrong please.

Right that's what I don't know either. It's possible there's a stackable you can craft with a value above 1 ped. But I guess you'd be right if it doesn't have a decay bar then it woudln't work anyway is what your saying. hmmm.:scratch2:

Eheh, big minds think big, great one bud :wtg:

wonderfull faq..
i finally understand something i didnt before :p
didn't knew the residues went with 10 peds all the time.
thats why the tt didnt increase when i used it on 5 ped residue.:yay:

wonderfull faq..

That's odd, I didn't read that said....and mine increase (or seem to) with any amounts of res added ? Wasn't the 10 ped an example ?

Very good FAQ ...nice of you to share your experiences with us all :)

+rep of course too

t

Tailoring remnants do not work with hides or wool, only refined tailoring materials.

Last edited:
wonderfull faq..

This is not true, but I finally figured out where you got this from. I rewrote that part, hope it is more clear now. :)

How do I make the Cheapest Residue?

I have recently taken up the art of Crafting and am a lvl 11 Mechanical Engineer. I am trying to find the cheapest way to make residue. I tried 1000 clicks on basic dampers.....

After TTing the dampers and adding that to the TT of the residue produced I had a net loss of .... wait for it.... 50%. so my Residue (energy and Metal) averaged out to 150%!!! There must be a cheaper way to do it.

Any suggestions.... (and my BP is at 100 QR BTW)

Thanks.

Mandu

Anyone ever used robot res in crafting anything?

t

Anyone ever used robot res in crafting anything?

t

All the time, on H21 Scrof, H41 Mina and Vivo UR125. :)

Edit: Another little bit of info you might want to add.

Metal residue also comes from crafting something that uses crafted components.

Metal residue, and only metal, can be used instead of other residues regardless of the materials used in the manufacture of the item. For example if you were making a H41 Mina which doesn't require any ores, you could still add metal residue to increase the tt instead of using oil or robot residue.

Last edited:
Back