Transcript of live chat session with Marco|Mindark at the Leipzig Games Convention

Site Admin
Admin
711: ok type your questions for Marco

hooters: have you revealed any new previews for VU 9.0 besides the armor graphics re-design at the convention?
Marco_MindArk: No, we haven't. But VU 9.0 is coming late Sept/Early Oct.

Pheonix: Marco, can you give us a list of everything that is going to be updated visually in the upcoming VU?
Marco_MindArk: Avatars, clothes and armor.

Midori_Fairlona: Are you planning any more trips on the convention circuit, or is this just a one off event?
Marco_MindArk: We are looking at at least 4-6 world wide event per year. After Leipzig we will go to Los Angeles and then to Las Vegas. We will also step up presence in Asia.

DrPaddo: Marco will it be possible to either buy / loot the 3 statues of the Trox longu and hogglo? :)
Marco_MindArk: Nope. Not as of now anyway. But I have put 50 pcs in storage for distribution to EF-members. Check the Leipzig-thread for info.

Stryker: Is LandGrab going to remain a thing of the past, or can we expect something within the next few months?
Marco_MindArk: Nothing within the next months. Next-gen of Land Grab will be very different, and it must work without any glicthes. Maybe next LG will be on another planet even.

Casay: What kind of updates / changes can we expect to the event system? More event options or??
Marco_MindArk: Yes, we will continue to update the event system. We consider it one of the core systems in Entropia. But no major changes will come before the CryENGINE2 update.

hooters: In a recent article from Gamespot you stated : "'that a contract system is inevitable for the game. Is there anything you can share with us about this at the moment?
Marco_MindArk: Not more than that, it is something that is necessary at some point. No ETA though. We have a lot of cool exciting updates in store but some of them will have to wait until we get the CryENGINE2 update in order, in order to save work.

P3T3R: How long we will have to wait more for the "Banks"?
Marco_MindArk: Hopefully they will come in 9.0. The delay are not on MA's side but getting the bank office building designs from some of the buyers. The actual bank system has been in testing for over six months now.

Recoda: Is there any specific reason for the extremely low drop-rate on the high-end paint cans, will the drop-rate of the White/Red/Black cans increase in the near future?
Marco_MindArk: I cannot comment on specifics, but I do know that the Balancing manager is closley checking the paint market.
Marco_MindArk: There is probably coming a coloring system update as well, which will impact on the paint system. It will be more balanced and fair than today.

Usurper: Will the avatar creation process mess up our paid-for body modifications or can we opt to just "keep as is"?
Marco_MindArk: Yes, old mods will be lost, unfortunatley. The new system is just that, new, and the old mods could not be stored. We are still checking out if there is a possibility to allow for some of the custom beauty changes to carry over, but I cannot ....
Marco_MindArk: ...promise that will happen.
Marco_MindArk: The avatar creation will be limited in variation like when you start a new avatar today. But beauticians will have designs and options unlocked in the new system like in the old one.

Hellfire: has MA ever considered releasing patches from somewhere other than the FTP servers, such as using torrents?
Marco_MindArk: Yes, our technical production director is evaluating new and more speedy ways of distributing the client software and future patches.

Mercury: Q: When are bank cards FOR SURE going to be back? (sidenote) Why were they removed so quickly and with such short notice? Why did 1 month become 8 months +?
Marco_MindArk: Because we underestimated the level of work and the time needed to get a good and reliable partner on board with the Cash Cards. The banking world is very conservative and bearucratic and things just takes a lot of time. For instance, just getting ..
Marco_MindArk: a design approaval of the actual card can take 3 months, and any changes made will take one additional month.
Marco_MindArk: We want the Cash Cards out as soon as possible, as we see them as a part of the withdrawal strategy, to easily and fastly get money in AND OUT of Entropia.

Arkonen: As Land Grab is not foreseen in the next future, is there any posibility that MA starts realy to really manage those LA's as a normal owner would do ? It's really sad to see so much deserted lands.
Marco_MindArk: I agree, we have been discussing various possibilities. One would be that we will auction the old LG areas to the colonists. But no decision has been made yet.

Eve_Venus: Are we going to see some more "special events", like the recent Eomon and Bot invasions?
Marco_MindArk: Yes, we have several. Events like that are popular.

ReadBird: Will there ever be some sort of team mining?
Marco_MindArk: Maybe, but it is not a priority in the near future.

P3T3R: We now have free proffesions for newbies as sweat gathering and fruits/dung searching, we will get any other "free" proffesions in the future or not?
Marco_MindArk: Not planned right now though, but as Entropia grows and new systems are integrated, I wouldn't see it as something that will come. I guess it will work like the Sweat/Dung system conceptually.

Shinigami: Are we going to see more options for the use of Mind Essence/Mind Force in the near future?
Marco_MindArk: Probably not before CryENGINE2. But CE2 will allow for some really cool MF-abilities.

Recoda: Can we expect any improvements to the melee profession in the near future? you've already told us that melee amplifiers are on their way, but is that far away in the future, or can we expect these sort of improvements soon?
Marco_MindArk: Not in 2007.

DrPaddo: Marco is it possible to offer services outside of EU and get paid in PED or is this against the EULA?
Marco_MindArk: It is entirely on your own risk if you do, and if suspicious activity is found, MA can lock you. But we normally don't go after such activities, as long as it isn't damaging Entropia and/or MA.

Olaven: The stadium for CND has been in development for 1.5 years? When will it come?
Marco_MindArk: Later. I don't have any ETA for it. But it requires some technology currently not in Entropia to function in a good way,.

Midori_Fairlona: A chat session wouldn't be complete without the traditional, "Is there any news about the egg?" ;)
Marco_MindArk: Ah, the egg.
Marco_MindArk: It is still one of Entropia's mysteries.

Pheonix: Will there every be live streaming movies and television ingame? By that a mean actually films, not ads
Marco_MindArk: Yes.
Marco_MindArk: It is a priority getting that into Entropia. I think it will come within 6-12 months.
Marco_MindArk: *fingers crossed*

ReadBird: Will the crafting proffesion change? Can we be able to put x amount of ores and just clcik "go" and it will process all?
Marco_MindArk: Yes, some changes will be done to it to allow for more automatic handling.

Hellfire: Any thoughts on showing the name of the person who first discovered an item in the info section of that item?
Marco_MindArk: It is on the Entropia ToDo-list but currently has a low priority. Sorry.

Olaven: What happens with the ped income from sale of landareas, cnd, malls and bank licenses? Are they recycled into the game or removed?
Marco_MindArk: I cannot discuss the mechanics of Entropia, I am sorry.

Recoda: When can we expect to see more previews of the upcoming Version Update? ;)
Marco_MindArk: No dates, but there will come. The new avatar system is very good looking.

ReadBird: When will the beer shipment arrive? :)
Marco_MindArk: It got rerouted to Leipzig. Sorry. ,-)

Donald: I'm sorry, but I've only just arrived. Has there been any discussion as to when the Banking system will be coded and online?
Marco_MindArk: To repeat - the system is done, we are waiting on some building designs from some of the buyers. We are working on a VU 9.0 release but if the bank buildings aren't finished, it could generate more delays. The system has been in testing on the ...
Marco_MindArk: test servers for almost six months.

Pheonix: will there be any new DNA realeased in the near future?
Marco_MindArk: Maybe. ,-)

Cougar: What about vehicles, should we expect them before CE2 or only after?
Marco_MindArk: After. It sort off comes automatically with CE2.

Mikass: Can you release more information about the nature of the upcoming planets?Will those be hunting/mining grounds or just online 3d shops?
Marco_MindArk: It will be varied, depending on MA and on the MA partners desire and goal and vision with each individual planet.

Recoda: We all know that fishing is fun, when will we be able to catch something bigger than a Rippersnapper?
Marco_MindArk: When, I don't know. I do know that the main MA creature designer has a lot of cool fish like creatures in the pipeline.

Joat: Any plans for a urban-pvp area?
Marco_MindArk: Yes. We just have to think of cool ways to make it exciting and not just add a PvP area to a city and just let it be.

Mcalhoun333: With the new graphics engine, will players that already have a low quality system be still be able to play?
Marco_MindArk: Hard to say, it depends on what hardware you have. CE2 will allow for more options which means you can shut off more advanced features that takes system resources. But some systems will not be able to handle CE2.

hooters: Not too long ago, you had a trip to Washington and i assume there were discussions about Virtual Universes. Who did you talk to and what topics were discussed in Washington?
Marco_MindArk: I don't know if I can disclose the actual names of the persons, but it was represenation from Joint Economic Committee (hearing led by Dan Miller, Senior Economist), the Treasury, IRS and CIA. We talked about trackability of funds, terrorist ...
Marco_MindArk: financing and training and money laundering.
Marco_MindArk: And also taxation.

Rick-Chi: Wanshang Marco, the chinese are coming, hows your grammar ? Ni hui shuo Zhongwen ma ?
Marco_MindArk: (thanks alot for that one 711! ,-)
Marco_MindArk: I haven't a clue. Chi Chi?

Joat: Will there be possibilties to create more clothes and worned equipment that has a more personal design after VU9?
Marco_MindArk: I don't dare say it will come in 9.0, but yes. Maybe in 9.1 or 9.2. No date but yes.

Cougar: What are your plans for PhysX after CE2, will you integrate PhysX on CE2 or will you abandon PhysX and use CE2's physics system?
Marco_MindArk: It is being investigated, but the latest I heard from the Senior Developer in charge of CE2 integration, we will probably use CE2 own physics engine.

jdegre: any chance of getting a more complete web-based display of avatar info, such as skills, profession levels... and not only items, as it is today ?
Marco_MindArk: Not this year, maybe in 2008, if we believe it to be a good idea.

Sharah_Mai_Lyn: will there come somthing new like beacons to do activitie in bigger groups?
Marco_MindArk: The beacons are appreciated and a fun team activity. We have some plans, but nothing in the near future, no.

Waheed: The biodomes located different places on amethera and Eudoria, will there be some use of them in the future?
Marco_MindArk: Ah, the biodomes....
Marco_MindArk: One of the mysteries. There are a few.

Recoda: Are there any plans of updating the auction system? we'd love to have a search function among others.
Marco_MindArk: Not in the near future, but later yes. A Search feature is much requested and we are looking into it, the main deterrent is the database strain when doing searches.

Midori_Fairlona: There are very few apartments being sold on auction these days. Are there any plans to release more in the future?
Marco_MindArk: Not really. When more land opens up and new continents and/or planets come, of course new apartments will come as well.

Creman: Will there be any real-life ads on ingame screens? Let's say Coca-Cola ads or such...
Marco_MindArk: There are already, but the real life adverts are based on your real world location so people from Sweden sees other stuff than a person from the USA.

Usurper: Why aren't MA taking advantage of the Voting terminals to get player input? It must be an invaluble tool.
Marco_MindArk: Priorities. We believe we are better off allocating the resoruces on other systems and upgrades atm.

NEVERDIE: Ive noticed lately that th Atrox Queen Egg feels less like its full of Yolk and more like there's something Solid inside, do u think there might be any danger to the public if it hatches?
Marco_MindArk: Ah, the egg. Maybe it will explode and destroy the structure it is located on? ,-)

Waheed: The new shadow design looks awesome - But is it a overall "redesign" on everything from all armors to weapons and creatures ?
Marco_MindArk: No, the redisgn in
Marco_MindArk: *redesign in VU 9.0 is done on avatars, clothes and armor.

Rednexi: Will there be any real useful purpose to scanning profession in the future?
Marco_MindArk: You gain skills and you get information. That is a purpose?

Eve_Venus: Is the current skill system going to remain as it is or are you planning any changes?
Marco_MindArk: The skill system will remain, new skills may be added in the future to cater to new systems.

Mercury: Is trading PEDS via PayPal a buyer and seller beware activity, or is it a EULA violation in some way? If advertised in Twin Peaks via chat spam, is it ok again if legitimate?
Marco_MindArk: Buyer beware. We may act if we believe the trader to be suspcious.
Marco_MindArk: (buyer and seller beware, actually)

Hellfire: whats the drink of choice in the office at MA?
Marco_MindArk: Coffee. Enormous amounts. And water. Not much cola or Red Bull though.

Creman: Will all the redesigned armors have the same 3d-model (with different colors), or how many different looking ones are there?
Marco_MindArk: I don't know the numbers, but the underlying system is the same as today, so armor charing models today will share models after VU 9.0 also.

The_Nightbird: Can you offer an estimate on how much of EU's total turnover occurs from hunting, mining, and crafting respectively? (% if allowed, or rank if possible) This is to give us an insight on how many people are occupied in each of the various prefessions.
Marco_MindArk: I cannot really comment, but I can say that Hunting is the most popular activity.

Joat: With CE2 it's possible to create caves. Any plans to make Calypso hollow? //0
Marco_MindArk: YES!
Marco_MindArk: At last!

Usurper: Can we have new dancing emotes soon?
Marco_MindArk: I don't think we will get new emotes as such. We are looking into a complete dance system instead, with skills, activities, purpose, etc.

Pheonix: Are MA planning on introducing churches into EU to give the increasing number of faithful followers of Lootius a play to pray/repent thier sins/sacrafice small animals?
Marco_MindArk: Lol. No, we will stay away from religion in Entropia.

ReadBird: will we have day/night cycles and/or seasons in vu9.0?
Marco_MindArk: No, but after CE2.

Ethar: Any plans on introducing items like music instruments?
Marco_MindArk: Music instruments will surely come in time. Not in the near future though.

Jimmy_B: Hi Marco. Thanks for giving this chat! Thought I'd give this a go hehe :) Do laser sights and scopes perform any function on maxed out weapons?
Marco_MindArk: I believe that the attachment mods come after the Skill mods but I am not sure about that.
Marco_MindArk: Meaning Yes, the affect it.
Marco_MindArk: (it should be like that anyway)

Pheonix: Would MA every consider implementing society bases into EU, where societies could hold official meetings, gatherings and parties?
Pheonix: Will there be a more in depth society system in the future? With possabilities of things such as official society vs society wars, or even just friendly social competions??
711: (posted together since they address similar issues)
Marco_MindArk: Yes, of course. I am currently looking into the next generation Entropia society/community/communication system. It will not come in 2007 though. I will also bring questions to the EF community about this subject when time comes.

Usurper: Will MA make more RL items available in the future like bumper stickers, maps, figurines to be looted or bought in the TT?
Marco_MindArk: Our focus is Entropia. Merchandizing is not our core business. If we do such things it will be PR activities, and not for sale items.

711: ok well take a 1 min break, and marco will answer one more question, so make it a good one!
711: ok last one:

Sloan: Will the 2006 and 2007 turnover numbers be released the clienloader still showes the 2005,,
Marco_MindArk: Yes, i will kick gently on Frank to get the figure up on the site. The 2006 figure was about 365,000,000 US Dollars.

711: Thanks very much for this chat session Marco! It's great to see Mindark really making an effort to promote EntropiaUniverse at gaming conventions such as Leipzig
Marco_MindArk: Thank you 711 for this opportunity. I hope the next chat session will be in the near future. =)

Last edited by a moderator:
Fun chat, failed to pry new info on the next VU though :D Must try harder next time :laugh:

It was a great chat. Hope to have more of those in the future!

Well, at least now we know a coloring system update will eventually come and that PayPal sales are okay :).

Nothing new on the egg though :(.

And dance skills... woohoo!

Thanks Marco and 711 was a great chat session!

Last edited:
Thanks Marco :)

Chatroom said:
NEVERDIE: Ive noticed lately that th Atrox Queen Egg feels less like its full of Yolk and more like there's something Solid inside, do u think there might be any danger to the public if it hatches?
Marco_MindArk: Ah, the egg. Maybe it will explode and destroy the structure it is located on? ,-)

Eggsciting news. :laugh:

I'm not an economist so I'm not quite sure what this means:

Sloan: Will the 2006 and 2007 turnover numbers be released the clienloader still showes the 2005,,
Marco_MindArk: Yes, i will kick gently on Frank to get the figure up on the site. The 2006 figure was about 365,000,000 US Dollars.

How does the turnover figure work?

ie if I spent 100 ped hunting, does that add $10 to the figure?

Interesting stuff, thanks for answering the questions Marco.

Well, at least now we know a coloring system update will eventually come and that PayPal sales are okay :).

Yes and no. There was some further clarification from Marco after the end of the chat session:

Marco_MindArk: Merc - it depends on what is going on. It is a high risk area and if you are implicated in anything suspicious, you could lose your account.

So, it is possible to sell PED through PayPal, but you risk being locked if anything goes wrong.

Jimmy_B: Hi Marco. Thanks for giving this chat! Thought I'd give this a go hehe Do laser sights and scopes perform any function on maxed out weapons?
Marco_MindArk: I believe that the attachment mods come after the Skill mods but I am not sure about that.

Wow! First time I see Marco actually answer a question on ingame system instead of the usual "coming soon/cant comment on that"

Yes and no. There was some further clarification from Marco after the end of the chat session:

So, it is possible to sell PED through PayPal, but you risk being locked if anything goes wrong.

Pretty much like anything you do in EU. As soon as something looks suspicious you get locked. I do think there are ways to make the buying and selling safe on paypal.

But hey, i rather go through a secure system for now :).

What I would like to know is, are we getting any goodies before C2? :confused:

Thanks Marco for the chat session, and nice work 711 on the transcript. :wtg:

"Marco_MindArk: .... We will also step up presence in Asia."
Asia is close to Australia, so this could be good news for us Aussies.
Maybe oneday a server might appear in the southern hemisphere, then goodbye to high pings. :laugh: :yay:

nice work guys. :)

Sad I couldnt be there but beer and sun called for my attention at that time.. back o the real world now.. *cough* :D

Gr8 questions and very nice and open answers marco! again gr8 work both MA and 711. onwards and upwards!

Rip

Verry nice chat :yay:
The one thing realy sucks is no melee proffesion update in 2007 :(:(:(
Thx anyway to marco for this chat

Timbo

Jimmy_B: Hi Marco. Thanks for giving this chat! Thought I'd give this a go hehe Do laser sights and scopes perform any function on maxed out weapons?

Wow! First time I see Marco actually answer a question on ingame system instead of the usual "coming soon/cant comment on that"
Hehe, I have noticed it also, it was probably caused by fatigue (no more Red Bulls, as Marco said), or just he was relaxed by previous questions and lost concentration (good work of 711).

What I would like to know is, are we getting any goodies before C2? :confused:

I don't think so :( , i was going to try asking that in the aftermath (specifically taming as someone mentioned it while we were discussing in the irc), but a thunderstorm prevented me from doing so.

I guess everything that isn't coming this year will only appear after CE2. (what i believe to be, in fact, everything. So no new stuff for an year :()

I guess everything that isn't coming this year will only appear after CE2. (what i believe to be, in fact, everything. So no new stuff for an year :()

Not entirely true, don't forget the very substantial avatar graphics update that will happen in VU 9.0, as Marco described.

Not entirely true, don't forget the very substantial avatar graphics update that will happen in VU 9.0, as Marco described.

Ok, but that's a given, apart from that updates to MindForce, Taming, Socs, etc, only after CE2.

Thanks Marco for answering our questions, chat was really interesting! hope to see MindArk in EF chat again! :):yay:

The chat was really interesting. Too bad music instruments are way from being implemented :D They would probably be like playing Guitar Hero.

Ok, but that's a given, apart from that updates to MindForce, Taming, Socs, etc, only after CE2.

Yep will be a long period with "ordinary" upgrades only.
But on the other hand, if they develop it now, they might be forced to
redo some in CE2, so better to wait IMO.

Great chat with great answers, thanks Marco,711 and everyone else involved. :)

Usurper: Will MA make more RL items available in the future like bumper stickers, maps, figurines to be looted or bought in the TT?
Marco_MindArk: Our focus is Entropia. Merchandizing is not our core business. If we do such things it will be PR activities, and not for sale items.

No wonder EU isn't better known since it seems MA doesn't believe in merchandise.
Merchandise is very effective promotion where buyer pays for ability to promote something.
T-shirts, coffeemugs, badges, posters etc would bring much more interest than some halfassed booth at convention where are tons of other game companies luring players.
Besides, merchandise can be outsourced so it won't bother MA.

:rofl:

That's an answer? I think my understanding of attachments just decreased. :laugh:

Well, nice try, anyway, Jimmy B.

Everything seems to be on hold until Cry2 in 2008, except of course armour graphics and things that no-one asked for and that will change with Cry2 anyway? Something strange when the word "priorities" kept cropping up. Wouldn't most players have a long list of higher priorities if asked?

No LG ...not as before at least, that was an interesting little hint wasn't it? Add the next hint about it maybe being on other planets (mentioned several times despite not being asked about, maybe the planets aren't as far away as we think?

t

That's an answer? I think my understanding of attachments just decreased. :laugh:

Yeah, I was thinking he didn't really know, or did not say it well...

No wonder EU isn't better known since it seems MA doesn't believe in merchandise.
Merchandise is very effective promotion where buyer pays for ability to promote something.
T-shirts, coffeemugs, badges, posters etc would bring much more interest than some halfassed booth at convention where are tons of other game companies luring players.
Besides, merchandise can be outsourced so it won't bother MA.

Yes, i find marcos answer very disturbing.
You could ask any band, sports club or whatever the same question and i bet you would never hear them say -"nah, we're into fotball and try to focus on that. We don't care about merchandise..."
I find it plain ignorant.

Hehe, well I thought I'd put Marco on the spot and see if we got anything.

My attempt at interpretating the answer was the Marco thinks that first your skills are taken into consideration to calculate your HA, which determines how often you'll miss, and then attachment mods give you a boost on top of that. So even if you have 10/10 HA the attachments still give you a boost in hit %. Maybe. But yes, given that attachments supposedly act as skill mods I'm not really too sure how to interpret his comment.

I would have pressed it further but Marco seemed a bit unsure himself so there didn't seem to be a lot of point. I guess all we can deduce for sure is that Marco thinks there is a point to putting sights/scopes onto maxed out weapons.

Maybe it'll stick in his mind and we'll get a better description of what they do in the item stats at some point soon, you never know.

And, well, could've been worse...he could have said "Yes, you can zoom in with the scope". :D

This one could have done with a follow-up question too:

Rednexi: Will there be any real useful purpose to scanning profession in the future?
Marco_MindArk: You gain skills and you get information. That is a purpose?

I wasn't there at that stage, would have like to asked something like "Yes, but do the scanning skills serve any purpose?"

For me the great news that has come out from this convention is the news that there'll be a contract system soon. I think it could solve a lot of problems, would like to see it sooner rather than later. Whilst I can understand they want to get the Cryengine stuff sorted out quickly, I'm looking forward to that too, and that it makes sense to do that before certain other things, I'm not sure I understand why the contact system is one of those things.

Thanks again for coming to chat with everyone, we all crave any lil piece of info we can get!!

HOLY F****NG S**T!!!!!!

edit:
and...what is with those statues?

Last edited:
For me the great news that has come out from this convention is the news that there'll be a contract system soon. I think it could solve a lot of problems, would like to see it sooner rather than later. Whilst I can understand they want to get the Cryengine stuff sorted out quickly, I'm looking forward to that too, and that it makes sense to do that before certain other things, I'm not sure I understand why the contact system is one of those things.

Maybe I am interpreting what was said wrong, but Marco hasn't linked the contract idea to the cryEngine or even said that it will be soon. Unless they are keeping it quiet for a surprise update at some point, the phrase "No ETA though" suggests it will be a long time off.

Back