Change Calypso Space Port In to Athena (read details)

Status
Bump it up for sensible changes!

guys useless.. nothing more than a spoiled child not getting his way. WHAAAA WHAAAA!! whatever he has todo and whoever he has to step on to get there.. And amazingly thinks he succeeding at something.. noone really sure what that is

I find it hilarious how the players with the biggest mouths have the least to offer. If life taught me any lessons, its that when someone has a lot of animosity towards you, it's because they want to be you. They look at you for who you are, what you represent and what you've accomplished and deep down inside, they hate it. Now it's not the fact that they hate you as a person, it's the fact that they hate themselves for never giving themselves the opportunity to be in your position. So to all the haters out there, please continue your campaign as it will only continue to bring me comedic relief.

I find it hilarious how the players with the biggest mouths have the least to offer. If life taught me any lessons, its that when someone has a lot of animosity towards you, it's because they want to be you. They look at you for who you are, what you represent and what you've accomplished and deep down inside, they hate it.

I couldnt have said it better bro :)

I find it hilarious how the players with the biggest mouths have the least to offer. If life taught me any lessons, its that when someone has a lot of animosity towards you, it's because they want to be you. They look at you for who you are, what you represent and what you've accomplished and deep down inside, they hate it. Now it's not the fact that they hate you as a person, it's the fact that they hate themselves for never giving themselves the opportunity to be in your position. So to all the haters out there, please continue your campaign as it will only continue to bring me comedic relief.

It's either that or you're really smug and people dislike you, and quite opposite to what you believe, they want to be anything other than you.

There is no hate towards what you have accomplished because we all accomplish our own goals, it is the actions you have taken and how you took them that are at topic here, not the fact people hate themselves for not doing what you do. Do not try to victimize yourself for your personal grudges on others, like you so eloquently private messaged me about.

Alas, here is a life lesson for ya:

I will quote a lil' bit for you to learn a bit more on your life journey:
"People with narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) are characterized by the personality traits of persistent grandiosity, an excessive need for admiration, and a personal disdain and lack of empathy for other people.[7][8] As such, the person with NPD usually displays arrogance and a distorted sense of personal superiority, and seeks to establish abusive power and control over others.[9] Self-confidence (a strong sense of self) is a personality trait different from the traits of narcissistic personality disorder; thus, people with NPD typically value themselves over others, to the extent of openly disregarding the wishes and feelings of anyone else, and expect to be treated as superior, regardless of their actual status or achievements.[7][10] Socially, the person with narcissistic personality disorder usually exhibits a fragile ego (self-concept), intolerance of criticism, and a tendency to belittle other people, in order to validate their own superiority.[10]"

Another funny thing about life lessons:
We all have them, our own way, doesn't mean someone else's life lessons aren't any better than yours or vice-versa.

P.S.: Your attempt to derail this topic will fail. Athena is and will be a better landing area for all players across the board.

Athena Spaceport being the landing area from space just makes sense.. Lots of people have said so for years.
This was likely the intention when MA originally made Athena Spaceport.
You have only made it more apparent that this change needs to happen by deliberately turning on pvp and grieving people as they try to land on Calypso.

No one really cares about your accomplishments, whatever they might be. Most people on here have probably never even heard of you before this.
So congrats bendover for finally making a name for yourself.

Athena Spaceport being the landing area from space just makes sense.. Lots of people have said so for years.
This was likely the intention when MA originally made Athena Spaceport.
You have only made it more apparent that this change needs to happen by deliberately turning on pvp and grieving people as they try to land on Calypso.

No one really cares about your accomplishments, whatever they might be. Most people on here have probably never even heard of you before this.
So congrats bendover for finally making a name for yourself.

Just quoting Geo as a Bump

Pretty crazy. I had not noticed this as I always teleport down from Monria instead of landing on Calypso. I do remember entering Calypso's tile of space from odd angles and spawning places other than above PA mall years ago?
I like Athena and it would be nice to see it get some use. My one suggestion is that Athena gets laggy and its terrain is a real pain to navigate on foot. I'm sure these are things that could be tuned.

at 1st having the entry point of calypso being over port Atlantis mall made no sense to me, i would have thought it would have been the space docks or Athena space port
the later being the nicest looking and most logical considering its quite close to space, or to have the option of these places as to where u wanted to land..

what i dont get is why pvp would exist in a shopping mall in the 1st place lol... id imagine that a mall owner would want more shoppers to come and not to turn on pvp and potentially drive away any that may want to shop there, its also inconsiderate of the other investors that bought shops in the mall... only time pvp would make sense there would be for some fun planned event or something

however there is always more sides to a story and I would like to hear from the mall owner. what their explanation is and why they are behaving this way

His reason for behaving this way, is because after buying a little Privateer, he decided he would make an attempt to organize a price fixing scheme (which is against EULA) and called all other spaceship provides to a 'Meeting for the future of Space' to try and have them all agree to raise prices and fix warping fees. Naturally all other providers refused to agree with his price fixing attempt and he has been throwing an extended temper tantrum ever since. Part of which is the pvp of PA mall and further, the attempts to manipulate the market for Fuses and Warp Drives (Also against EULA) to try and hurt other providers.
Unfortunately, most of us farm our own materials for crafting warp drives and he is only hurting himself and his reputation.

Just want to being this topic back to the idea of making main portin, Athena spaceport. Would be nice if some videophiles made some nice videos showing off this spaceport. It is excellent, far beyond a bland launchpad.

His reason for behaving this way, is because after buying a little Privateer, he decided he would make an attempt to organize a price fixing scheme (which is against EULA) and called all other spaceship provides to a 'Meeting for the future of Space' to try and have them all agree to raise prices and fix warping fees. Naturally all other providers refused to agree with his price fixing attempt and he has been throwing an extended temper tantrum ever since. Part of which is the pvp of PA mall and further, the attempts to manipulate the market for Fuses and Warp Drives (Also against EULA) to try and hurt other providers.
Unfortunately, most of us farm our own materials for crafting warp drives and he is only hurting himself and his reputation.

Interesting information, I thought it was to do with the adult film market not being as lucrative as it once was. ;)

Bumping it up for awareness| Athena Spaceport could become the new tradehub for Calypso, specialy if MA decides to sell the several business oriented estates it has sitting there for some years now.

People would pay for such estates. Either way, all the previously referenced points on this topic reinforce it's importance of change.

Pretty crazy. I had not noticed this as I always teleport down from Monria instead of landing on Calypso. I do remember entering Calypso's tile of space from odd angles and spawning places other than above PA mall years ago?
I like Athena and it would be nice to see it get some use. My one suggestion is that Athena gets laggy and its terrain is a real pain to navigate on foot. I'm sure these are things that could be tuned.
If you haven't been to Athena Spaceport in some time, I suggest another visit. I totally agree the lag there used to be painful, but since the graphics/camera updates to EU the lag at Athena seems no worse than elsewhere, and often no lag at all. It is my understanding the lag used to be caused by how the gfx handles all those waterfalls and streams nearby, but the new system handles the physics very differently and thus removed this problem, at least in my experiences there it has.
How well the area would cope with a huge influx of avatars and vehicles is anyone's guess.
But please MA, lets have a Spaceport that does what it says in the name :)

If you don't want it to also be a major trade hub (which would allow all those lovely buildings to be re-purposed and maybe sold), then make them space related, use them as maybe mini museums and tutorial centres with some of the art from space, maybe videos of battles, hunting etc let the planet residents realise that you have put a lot of work out there and are now working at adding to it. Wet their appetites to come look for themselves

Personally I think some mini markets in the bigger buildings would be cool, Don't sell the buildings, just the trade stalls you put in them, that way you avoid any risk of another rogue mall owner upsetting players. But maybe put some of the 'EU webshop' things for sale on unused stalls so the place looks busy rather than dead, then as they sell reduce the number of stalls you use down to say a maximum of 2.. There has to be a sales opportunity there for you just waiting for some imagination. Space related, toys, art, Avatar clothing for space ???

But please MA, lets have a Spaceport that does what it says in the name :)
I too, am bothered by things ingame that defy common sense. A spaceport should be where you land and take off from a planet. A thruster should thrust you. A hangar should be where you park your ship. A dropship should dock on a mothership. A mothership should be the only way to transport goods through space. A moon should orbit a planet and planets should orbit a sun. Even science fiction has to be believable in order to work. Thanks be to Lootius he granted us another AMA. Hope against hope someone asks for a "continuity expert" like they used to employ in holywood.

This is really a small change which could still be done for the next mini patch. There is no sane reason to leave it unless you want to feed those who suspect conspiracy with in-game businesses.

I too, am bothered by things ingame that defy common sense. A spaceport should be where you land and take off from a planet. A thruster should thrust you. A hangar should be where you park your ship. A dropship should dock on a mothership. A mothership should be the only way to transport goods through space. A moon should orbit a planet and planets should orbit a sun. Even science fiction has to be believable in order to work.
Something like... https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...o-to-space-in-june.235304/page-3#post-3327787 ?

I too, am bothered by things ingame that defy common sense. A spaceport should be where you land and take off from a planet. A thruster should thrust you. A hangar should be where you park your ship. A dropship should dock on a mothership. A mothership should be the only way to transport goods through space. A moon should orbit a planet and planets should orbit a sun. Even science fiction has to be believable in order to work. Thanks be to Lootius he granted us another AMA. Hope against hope someone asks for a "continuity expert" like they used to employ in holywood.

While I agree in principle that the game needs a lot more continuity, and a good size nod towards real science. I think we are stuck with space as it is, rather than a solar system. I doubt MA has any reason to undertake such a huge change to achieve even a semblance of orbiting planets or even ones that rotate on the spot, thereby giving at least 2 or 3 entry points rather than one. There is no financial gain for them from such a change this late in the day.

Spaceport - yes it should be what it says.

Thrusters - do thrust in that they get us through the space / atmosphere divide as a rocket does in RL, but a graphic to show this instead of normal flight, that kicks in when we select enter space would be cool.

Hangars - While hangars were originally the place to go to get a crossing of space in EU, the name is by no means restricted to space related craft, and they are truly redundant to the current space format. Maybe they should be renamed 'old hangar' signifying they have changed use due to industrial innovations much like we see 'old mill' 'old creamery' as names on domestic buildings, craft centres etc in RL.

However not all of the above naming is necessarily incorrect.

Dropships - are a planet partner creation and sadly MA don't seem good at allowing PP items into space, even when they were busy ignoring it for years, but equally the name could be interpreted as a craft that drops a large number of troops into an area, ie vessel for team hunts.
Sitting under the wing of a vessel in space may be somewhat chilly and short on oxygen if we are looking for continuity

Motherships- They are not and never have been transport vessels in real life, and ideally should not be cattle trucks in game (even if I do run space transport service with mine).
A mothership is just that the mother hen with her chicks, the parent vessel to many smaller vessels, acting as repair station in RL for submarines while at sea. MA seem to in fact have merged this with the role of an aircraft carrier which is in some ways a similar role. They should therefore be a platform for smaller vessels to rest and repair, and to defend them with the big guns in a battle. There could even be different classes, or modifications that could be added (no doubt at a price) so that they could have additional weaponry, or have the repair shop for space mining and act as the mothership to mining drones or smaller mining ships. As well as defending them and their load and returning them to a space-station / planet

There is and should always be room for other vessels in space, but for different roles. The nearest RL analogy is the oceans. we have fishing boats, transport vessels, small gun boats, corvettes, destroyers and yes Motherships and aircraft carriers
The recent changes in space, seems to be the first wobbly toddler steps in the right direction. With differing gun types on privateers, the changes to Quad gun damage type, the introduction of BPs for devices that will allow increased sub-warp speed. The need for cooperation between different vessels (think carrier battle group).
It's a start, not perfect (please may MS at least have an equal chance to shoot and loot the boss, yes I understand MA don't want the MS be the big gun that takes all, but getting the least loot while defending others (with the highest cost per shot not to mention the biggest investment) is plain daft and will ultimately lead to MS withdrawing from these events, which in turn leaves the quads without a base, and the event becomes just for privateers.

So back on topic...Yes please MA start moving towards greater continuity and changes for space, lets have a spaceport that does what it says on the label
it's a simple change and would probably lead to a lot of locally generated income in return for only minor changes.

While I agree in principle that the game needs a lot more continuity, and a good size nod towards real science. I think we are stuck with space as it is, rather than a solar system. I doubt MA has any reason to undertake such a huge change to achieve even a semblance of orbiting planets or even ones that rotate on the spot, thereby giving at least 2 or 3 entry points rather than one. There is no financial gain for them from such a change this late in the day.
I don't think this would be such a huge undertaking. Look at the underlying technology: We don't have genuine 3D space, but a flat map of squares (servers), above which we can move within a limited range of elevation. Our Space is implemented on the same platform. An orbital pane would still fit into this scheme without fundamental changes. The only difference to the current "pizza universe" would be the animation of positions, as suggested in the link above (I can't believe it's been over 5 years :D).

The introduction of Arkadia Moon has paved the way how every planet could be approached, i.e. the technology is already implemented. Just expand the map to the outer fringes of the currently visible Space map, i.e. do away with "Deep Space" or just move it to the outside. As added bonus, map the ground coordinates from where you launch to your spawn point in space. If the cost for acquiring additional servers is prohibitive, the possibility of using virtual servers for low-traffic areas could be explored, at least temporarily.

About the financial incentive: Look at the example of Elite: Horizons. An original space game, it introduced planet landings for the first time much later. It wasn't perfect right away, but expanded the game enormously. I don't currently have it installed, so I don't know if its planetside can match Entropia's by now as it had a couple years to develop. Now Entropia is built the other way around, it introduced Space afterwards. It needs that little more still to become a believable space game, but actually has the necessary building blocks. Then give it the right spin in the press releases, and it should attract quite a bit of interest.

As a sidenote, this should qualify as on-topic since it's all in context and provides motivation for initiating a process only beginning with OP's suggestion.

If you are going to update space to actual 3d, why not do likewise with the planets, and make them actual spheres you can walk around... where you walk far enough east you end up going to the other side of the round world instead of the flat grid we have currently, etc.

I still see 2 huge moons at night on Calypso but where are they in actual space when we go upstairs? Also see a bunch of rocks orbiting the planet. Darn glad we don't have to actually maneuver around those in space, lol.

If you are going to update space to actual 3d, why not do likewise with the planets, and make them actual spheres you can walk around... where you walk far enough east you end up going to the other side of the round world instead of the flat grid we have currently, etc.

I still see 2 huge moons at night on Calypso but where are they in actual space when we go upstairs? Also see a bunch of rocks orbiting the planet. Darn glad we don't have to actually maneuver around those in space, lol.
This would require fundamental changes to the platform. We can't do seamless transitions and actual rendering of space objects in planet skies. The above is meant as a compromise to get the best out of the current platform.

This would require fundamental changes to the platform. We can't do seamless transitions and actual rendering of space objects in planet skies. The above is meant as a compromise to get the best out of the current platform.
Even though its not realistic it would be pretty cool if they could by technology from RSI for a seamless space. :)

Bump before the next patch/event/version update, it's such a small change to squeeze in. Make Athena Spaceport the default landing site, not anyone's private estate! (+televators between main tp and sky platforms ;)

Reactions: Geo
Even Lore wise it makes sense to have Athena as entry to the planet.
Hope MA changes this soon.
Lore is important.

Bump before the next patch/event/version update, it's such a small change to squeeze in. Make Athena Spaceport the default landing site, not anyone's private estate! (+televators between main tp and sky platforms ;)
A reason to use them too. Such a beautiful place and some people don't even know it's there.

This thread has garnered a lot of attention it seems and although I have not read every single post, it seems that there are a lot who would support this idea.

I don't know if this suggestion is part of a retaliation towards Ben Dover's belligerent attitude earlier this year but the timing of it sure would indicate it might be.

I for one don't think this is a good idea. Port Atlantis is a mega hub for Calypso, always has been. It makes perfect sense that it be the landing spot for the planet. If you remove it as the landing spot, all you have left is the missions that bring noobs there, since the major Trade Hub now (since ~2008) is Twin Peaks.

Back in 2006 when I started playing Port Atlantis was everything; it was where you started out, it was where noobs did all their sweating, it was the biggest trade hub in the game... Everything centered around PA. Now the biggest trade hub is Twin Peaks, noobs start out in Half-Moon Cove/Bay and Camp Icarus, and all the sweating is happening mostly at Boreas and Royal Club.

The argument that Athena Spaceport is higher in elevation thus making your ascent to Space a lot quicker is a good one, I admit, but the design for Landing Spots in EU is not based on elevation, it is based on Real Estate. On Ark you Land at Celeste, and so the shops there see a lot of traffic and are worth more for that reason. On RT, if you go straight down, you land at City of Dreams, it's the same for the shopping booths there, they get a lot of traffic and are worth more. The idea with having people land at PA Mall is the same here.

I don't think the landing spot for Calypso should be changed. And if it were to be changed, I don't think it would be fair to the Mall owner, say what you will about him but he invested in a virtual asset which was strategically located at Calypso's landing spot and it just wouldn't be fair to change that now.

I think the solution is to make Port Atlantis more relevant, for example by creating some apartments in those buildings and auctioning them, or things like that. Bring more people to PA, not less.

Legends

Last edited:
This thread has garnered a lot of attention it seems and although I have not read every single post, it seems that there are a lot who would support this idea.
Without being cheeky, cause I honestly like you, it doesn't really make sense so allow me to counter argue:

I for one don't think this is a good idea. Port Atlantis is a mega hub for Calypso, always has been. It makes perfect sense that it be the landing spot for the planet. If you remove it as the landing spot, all you have left is the missions that bring noobs there, since the major Trade Hub now (since ~2008) is Twin Peaks.

Back in 2006 when I started playing Port Atlantis was everything; it was where you started out, it was where noobs did all their sweating, it was the biggest trade hub in the game... Everything centered around PA. Now the biggest trade hub is Twin Peaks, noobs start out in Half-Moon Cove/Bay and Camp Icarus, and all the sweating is happening mostly at Boreas and Royal Club.

It doesn't really equate or is in any way related, Celeste isn't the starter area for Arkadia, nor is the skylabs for Cyrene, nor is Next Island's landing zone. They are totally unrelated topics and newbies can still "spawn" in Port Atlantis... They don't have ships anyway to traverse space back and forth.

And even as you said, starting points in Calypso vary now, so if we go by your logic, it would make more sense to adjust the space landing aswell, to make it make sense, in a spaceport.
I agree with the last paragraph, and having started playing in 2005 myself, i feel your nostalgia, but: the past is the past.

The argument that Athena Spaceport is higher in elevation thus making your ascent to Space a lot quicker is a good one, I admit, but the design for Landing Spots in EU is not based on elevation, it is based on Real Estate. On Ark you Land at Celeste, and so the shops there see a lot of traffic and are worth more for that reason. On RT, if you go straight down, you land at City of Dreams, it's the same for the shopping booths there, they get a lot of traffic and are worth more. The idea with having people land at PA Mall is the same here.
Not true, Skylabs on Cyrene has no real estate. Arkadias landing area is not Celeste, the city either, its Celeste Military HQ, which also has no estates. Same for Next Island, same for Toulan, and Rocktropia has a few shopping booths at the area.

So no, It is a good argument because it makes good sense. The design should be LORE intended and not business oriented, otherwise people should be able to land on different malls when coming into calypso to make it fair for competition. But I digress on that matter.

I don't think the landing spot for Calypso should be changed. And if it were to be changed, I don't think it would be fair to the Mall owner, say what you will about him but he invested in a virtual asset which was strategically located at Calypso's landing spot and it just wouldn't be fair to change that now.

I think the solution is to make Port Atlantis more relevant, for example by creating some apartments in those buildings and auctioning them, or things like that. Bring more people to PA, not less.
I apologise if it sounds negative, but the fact this mall owner uses this "leverage" and "benefit" for his personal amusement, by harassing other players through the activation of pvp features in order to interdict their business nearby, is clear evidence he should not have such a benefit in the first place.
As you said, it is also not fair that if i dont want to land there, in order to avoid confrontations, that i can't. Furthermore it is the ONLY space landing area in the GAME that is "controlled" by a player, or rather has player influence. That in itself is almost unethical if you ask me.

Would like to end this post by saying, i didnt know who the owner was until he tried to fix prices on warps, and is now underselling everyone out of spite... So I honestly have no quarrel with the player, but he sure seems to have with me and several others.

Not true, Skylabs on Cyrene has no real estate. Arkadias landing area is not Celeste, the city either, its Celeste Military HQ, which also has no estates. Same for Next Island, same for Toulan, and Rocktropia has a few shopping booths at the area.

So no, It is a good argument because it makes good sense. The design should be LORE intended and not business oriented, otherwise people should be able to land on different malls when coming into calypso to make it fair for competition. But I digress on that matter.

Cyrene has no Real Estate period. No apartments and no shops. I don't think Toulan has any yet either though I heard a rumor that they are coming Soon™.

Anyway what I meant was that the PA mall has been the Calypso landing spot for 10 years and much of the value of PA mall is actually derived from that fact. The same is true of the 2 shopping booths at City of Dreams on RT. Changing the landing spot changes the value of the assets so I'm against it.

I apologise if it sounds negative, but the fact this mall owner uses this "leverage" and "benefit" for his personal amusement, by harassing other players through the activation of pvp features in order to interdict their business nearby, is clear evidence he should not have such a benefit in the first place.
As you said, it is also not fair that if i dont want to land there, in order to avoid confrontations, that i can't. Furthermore it is the ONLY space landing area in the GAME that is "controlled" by a player, or rather has player influence. That in itself is almost unethical if you ask me.

Would like to end this post by saying, i didnt know who the owner was until he tried to fix prices on warps, and is now underselling everyone out of spite... So I honestly have no quarrel with the player, but he sure seems to have with me and several others.

I don't think he's doing that anymore, I think he was warned by MA or his ability to trigger PvP there has been removed, one or the other. It hasn't happened to me and believe me, I travel quite a bit.

Also you don't HAVE to land on the mall roof. I'm pretty sure you can fly to the Port Atlantis TP proper (though there is a 'no fly' zone around it, you can still land pretty close to it).

I don't think he's doing that anymore, I think he was warned by MA or his ability to trigger PvP there has been removed, one or the other. It hasn't happened to me and believe me, I travel quite a bit.

Stated without basis or verification. Turning on PVP is a land area/estate function. It can be done if he wants.

Status
Back