Can/Will MindArk Ever Give Priority to Revitalizing PvP?

Captain Jack

Elite
Society
Endgame
Background:
The cost of PvP is significant, especially compared with returns, and this has resulted in a relatively sparse participation in PvP.
Many solutions have been proposed to reduce costs, including but not limited to:
- Reduce cost/shot in PvP to 10% of present on any shots landed on a player.
- Eliminate the expenditure of ammo/decay on missed shots in PvP.
- Implement a cost-based, shrapnel-only loot formula to players (and vehicles), and make return % comparable to that of hunting (perhaps even implement a Player Looter profession?)
Any of the previously mentioned solutions would provide a significant improvement to PvP and likely spur a revival of PvP as a sport - both in lootable and non lootable zones.

Significance:
PvP is very hands-on and engaging
, thrilling, and motivational. It cannot be done mindlessly.
PvP participation gives the thrill of a fight, the frustration of defeat, and the euphoria of triumph in victory. This strong palate of emotions gives the game some much needed vibrance.
PvP motivates players to improve their avatars to improve their chances of success in combat. This results in a significant increase in turnover in all professions as players push to develop their avatars.
PvP stimulates the economy. To improve their odds in combat, PKers aggressively pursue the acquisition of higher end equipment. To improve their equipment, PKers spend more on item tiering than what would be practical for traditional hunters. In their pursuit of avatar development (described above), PKers purchase materials to craft, amplifiers and tools to mine, weapons/armor/healing tools to hunt, and even spacecraft to diversify their skill sets for maximum HP.

Question:
Can/will MindArk ever give priority to revitalizing PvP?

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

Very respectfully,

Captain Jack

Greetings,

Within my time spent on Entropia Universe, the majority of it has been related to PvP - whether it's skilling towards more HP, a new and bigger weapon for it, etc.
With this comes a great passion for it, along with a deep mutual respect and bond with / for the other Entropia Universe participants who also enjoy it.

I think we (the participants) all agree that fair gameplay should be the priority within PvP, especially within a RCE (Real Cash Economy) game.
Currently, I have doubts that anything robust monitoring for fair gameplay is currently implemented, or enforced.

So, my question:
Are you planning to take any significant steps towards preventing use of cheating within PvP?

Regards,
VH

• Hi Captain Jack. PvP is an important part of Entropia and a lot of what you describe really is correct. There are changes planned to PvP in the short term but even more in the long term. Not everyone likes PvP and we believe there has to be a balance between PvP and non PvP content.
- Magnus Eriksson

I sure hope not there are so many other games out there u can play if u like PvP with other kids..

Fort Event Battles used to be very popular and have some of the qualities you mentioned. You could always try to reinvigorate the FEB scene instead of waiting for MA to pave the path.

What kind of changes are planned? I do not mean to sound pessimistic its just easy to say there are things coming, and then not follow through on that.
Personally, pvp is the only reason I play, so it would be nice to have some incentive to keep up the mindless grinding. With the scaling hp for avatars, and limited amount of access to pk weapons in game, it would be nice if there was a new crafted series of pk weapon, or more availability in drops. Mobs in pvp4 could drop weapons such as al 29 or pk 68, rather than the faps that are utterly useless. Another simple solution and perhaps a way to increase motivation in grinding, would be to put new series of crafted weapons in game, that have higher level requirements, higher dps, and damage types such as cold, or acid.

Also I can say with 100% certainty Jack does not cheat in pvp

Codex for pk's could be cool as well, or a leaderboard/arena for competitive pvp

This would be utterly awesome. Also agreed with his previous suggestions. And for anybody who may be wondering, Theocles is in the rival society and has a tendency of kicking my ass in PvP - and it's not because he cheats, it's because he's actually that good. He probably woke up this morning and forgot more about Entropia PvP than I will ever know. Nevertheless, ass kicking and all, I still have fun with it.

Last edited:
Codex for pk's could be cool as well, or a leaderboard/arena for competitive pvp
I agree a codex entry for "players" or something would be pretty kewl maybe with some unique rewards so it might be desireable for all to do a little at least :)

• Hi Captain Jack. PvP is an important part of Entropia and a lot of what you describe really is correct. There are changes planned to PvP in the short term but even more in the long term. Not everyone likes PvP and we believe there has to be a balance between PvP and non PvP content.
- Magnus Eriksson

It's nice to see atleast some kind of statement, but how long till we actually see these changes. Who knows.

To be honest, the game is too clunky for PVP to be on par with other FPS games. If the game engine changes to something updated that can better handle the fast paced environment that PVP enables then it would see a lot more action imo.

Adding a Player Looter profession would be a good addition.

A bounty system that ties into the leaderbpard would also be pretty awesome.

What is the problem with simply adding players to the current loot system like other mobs? It would be cool to get a HOF for killing someone in PVP the same as you do killing mobs?

I don't PVP much but might be getting more into it with my new weapon :)

Include space PVP in the table and you really will see who the pirates are :) just saying.
But back on topic, I suspect that MA will only revamp PVP if and when someone can prove to them they are losing ped by not doing so. All they see is that people simply go do something else, with less drama/exploits etc that need them to look at it

Back