Entropia Universe Unreal - Preview of HUD UI

Status

Dennis|MindArk

MindArk Official
Staff member
MindArk Official
Hi all!

I wanted to share the early work in progress for our Entropia Universe Unreal HUD UI. The important thing for us in this stage is to define a style, how easy it is to read and placement. You will also see some bonus elements in this image the Setesh Moon test environments early stages, a creature in action plus more ;).

Would love to hear what you think about this!

index.php

Disclaimer: Pre-Alpha Development, Not final

Radar looks good.
Text in general is too small and hard to read (the font family you chose looks futuristic but it's also very hard on the eyes).
Gun reticle is a bit too big for my liking, it's in the middle of the screen and can obscure important visual feedback of whatever you are pointing at.

I'll add more feedback later.

Overall i like the looks, but the colors should be darker imho, it makes reading them easier. If we wont be able to drag the objects around anymore, then please dont put the health bar and buffs right in the middle, or at least make them smaller. :p
Good to see the progress thanks for sharing!

We are far from final and readability will be more in focus in future iterations. We will have UI customization to address the wishes you have as much as possible. In general, working with the UI in Unreal Engine is far superior in comparison with CryEngine.

I see the avatar here has objectives behind him, You can see a dark blue one on the right towards the south, and a bright green one to his/her left.

Objective icons usually clip around the screen so people don't have to rely on the radar, which means in this case a blue icon should be seen on the lower right corner of the screen. Just an idea, otherwise you are only aware of the objectives directly in front of you.

Also, ditch that dark blue color since the radar is dark grey and it can barely be seen.

Now is probably the best time to remind you UI scaling and how important it is.

In general, the UI needs a darker background that's for sure (the chat pane specially).

Good job ;)(y)

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

I'm guessing a lot will change but wanted to note that I don't think we really need a zoom funciton on the radar. AFAIK no one uses atm.

Can we have mobs health draggable again or avatar health setup out of team as before?
Reason why i want it for avatars is due to healing, sometimes in the current engine mobs "swallow" and cover the hitbox for the avatar you are healing making it near to impossible to do our service.

I would appreciate if you could have this into consideration when working on the UI even though i know it doesnt count to the three main proffessions.

Otherwise i think the UI looks great, and as some has said and you replied the font size is small.

Keep up the good work! <3

Wow brilliant thanks for sharing! First real look at the next generation of EU is great to see. Hopefully the HUDs colour, opacity and text size will be customisable, which I expect it will be! Looking good.

Going against the grain a little, I kinda like that the HUD isnt in your face, maybe have it as options to make it bolder/bigger, but I like that the focus is more on the game than the HUD. Also, can you tell us some things about what we are seeing? It looks like we will be able to see a hpcurrent/total? Can we reposition stuff like before? ( Ie if i want to move the compass)

Looks great - i like the new look and there seem to be some new things comming: Bodyshields ? Pickups to refill energy ? markers for mining / special ? Destructible objects to continue passage ways ?
Missing a few things too still hope they still come: pvp indicators, zone indicators, onscreen time / timer / calendar

feels a little too messy... abit "childish" theme.
personally I prefer a more modern and stylish design

Also, ditch that dark blue color since the radar is dark grey and it can barely be seen.

Now is probably the best time to remind you UI scaling and how important it is.

In general, the UI needs a darker background that's for sure (the chat pane specially).

Good job ;)(y)
This (y)

And I don't like the green colour on the healtbar.
You really need to focus on making it easy to customize for players as well.
I posted in "Preview of Upcoming Interface Changes" with a link to swtor UI editor, take a look and get ideas from that and other games as well :)

We are far from final and readability will be more in focus in future iterations. We will have UI customization to address the wishes you have as much as possible. In general, working with the UI in Unreal Engine is far superior in comparison with CryEngine.
Honestly, like the focus lock reticle we already have. Don't feel that one needs to change too much to still work in this UI

Radar

I'd like to see this move to top-left by default, like many other games have it. It's eye muscle memory for a lot of people to have it top-left.

Iconography

I like the simpler iconography, but wonder, in this new world of Entropia, if we will continue to have the ability to use the mouse at any time, in order to be able to hover over those icons and get hint messages for them?

Energy Bar?

I see the health bar, but what's the energy bar for exactly?

Weapons slots

Are we going to be restricted on what we can bind to our avatars? It looks like a primary / secondary kind of functionality, or is this just some UE5 out of the box stuff?

Text Scaling

Others have mentioned this, chat text is definitely on the small size, but allow the user to scale the text in a gradual and linear fashion would be great.

The UI does look cleaner and more fresh compared to the UI elements we have in place right now, for sure. Scarab is a new mob coming in UE5, or just a test asset?

You really need to focus on making it easy to customize for players as well.

This.

it looks great, but as long as a great foundation is created that we the end users can tweak or customize the better.

imho a good option on that would just be to in simple terms look at say FFXIV and adapt some of the ideas of how that UI works, its foundation is great and out of the box it works well. but players can resize individiual elements as they please and scale things around. and make it fit and adapt it to each our own how we please within that working foundation.

To early to comment on specific colors etc but it is a little brightwashed perhaps, more contrast will likely come later in development id guess anyways :)

It looks cool. However you do it, I'd love it if there was an option to turn off the extra effects you do... for me personally, they tend to get in the way in the game.

Okay, so one picture with no info that's very inefficient way of giving news. Last UI update you shared what each icon UI etc did and its purpose why not this time?
Please do the same with this one and update the first post.

1. Think about keeping the Entropia theme but a bit more modernized. I get 0 entropia vibes from this new UI, not fun.

2. Customizability super important, like color selection options,resizable icons and UI along with transparency option.

3. Can you elaborate what the new UI means on the energy bar, and the ammo shots icons and ammo shot at the bottom right? By the looks of it seems like we only have 100 shots before we must reload and we have options to shoot with different ammunitions or shot types that will expend energy. If it is this way we must get a confirmation as soon as possible since it severely affects current gameplay.

I can only ask that you please don't completely change core game hunting mechanics out of the blue without making a poll both on this forum and perhaps in-game, or something to see if people actually want that type of change. It scares me how it will turn out.

Atm all this post is doing is creating speculation and scaring the living crap out of me. The graphics looks like it was painted over like big blob. So not really giving much hype there either. But yes I know it's pre-alpha. So this is just my first impressions, the current game graphics looks better.

Last edited:
Iconography

I like the simpler iconography, but wonder, in this new world of Entropia, if we will continue to have the ability to use the mouse at any time, in order to be able to hover over those icons and get hint messages for them?
this would make me really sad not be able to move mouse at any time over stuff

Looks pretty cool!
However, it looks a bit less flexible then the current UI. I like that it's possible to tailor your UI by adding/moving icons and widgets around.

I like the HUD a lot. I think the text is pretty readable and I would assume there can be a setting to adjust font size in options. (if you open the image in a new tab you will see the screenshot was taken from a high resolution setting and the text is as big as the one we have now)

Given there will be quite.a few colours in icons showing various stuff, I would like to have the option to switch off the colours if possible. Right now they are a bit ugly, I would remove either the border or the background from the icons and would like to have the option to control opacity on pretty much anything.

Looks like custom icons will be gone and with this cursor mode, an end of an era, this will be hard to adjust to if it's the case...

What's the graphic setting set at for this screenshot? It looks a bit more cartoonish and I really hope you stay in the realistic type of game, this is is also very important I'd say...

Nice :) The clean radar reminds a bit of the old PE. I'm no artist and not sure how to express this but if there is any way of keeping an air of nostalgia while being all modern, that would be great. Like, subliminally transmitting that your product is really mature in years and has history under its belt.

For user customisation options, it would be good if all elements were individually switchable on or off, like now you can only show all or nothing. Streamers may want to hide PMs, or at least make them not popup in the middle of the screen if you ever forget you're live (I suggested earlier to enable directing them to a different terminal connection so you could communicate using another screen or device). Or one might want different sets of information on the screen in various situations which you can't all foresee. Make these settings saveable similar to the current item sets.

If the old loot window is kept as an option, it would be cool if it could aggregate the stacks and display a total, too. Would make most of the 3rd party loot trackers redundant.

API, Linux and other unicorns... but they're outside of the UI ;)

Bra fortsättning :thumbup:

Status
Back