Question: 3rd party PED buying

Status

Xanato Xan Kaso

Stalker
Society
The Frozen Flame
Xanato Xan Kaso
Hello, I was wondering if buying PED outside of the game instead of through MA is expressly against the rules. I read the FAQ's and the links in it to the TOS and while MA gives a lot of good reasons NOT to buy peds other than through them, I didn't see anywhere actually forbidding it.

They mentioned credit card fraud and the potential to get your account banned as a result of buying PED from a fraudster. However if my buddy gets a big HoF or ATH and doesn't want to wait for MA to send them the money in two months is there anything explicitly stating I am not allowed to send my friend real money for the PED so they can get the money faster?

I recognize all the potential risks and problems that can arise from this, I just want to know if it is actually against the rules, or just highly recommended not to do it for safety reasons.

Please be constructive in your comments, I am curious. Especially given the worldwide shutdown due to the virus and the financial stress it has put on people.

Many people bought/sold peds/items/avatars via RL cash, with and without MA knowing, they didn't get banned. As long as you keep it in private and if you get scammed, don't brag it everywhere ,-)

Many people bought/sold peds/items/avatars via RL cash, with and without MA knowing, they didn't get banned. As long as you keep it in private and if you get scammed, don't brag it everywhere ,-)

Everything fraud related aside, is it against the rules to buy ped from someone other than mindark. IF you were to publicly advertise the buying or selling of ped, is it breaking the rules?

Publicly advertised way, i would say yes, its against the rules:

MindArk reserves the right to take any reasonably necessary measures for the purpose of preventing and acting against frauds and non-Approved Transactions, including, but not limited to, making a reservation against a suspected Transaction, and Banning and/or Terminating a directly or indirectly involved Account, if MindArk determines that the transaction was not performed in compliance to this Agreement.

The best answer i have read in a similar topic before:

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...-allowed-on-the-premises.271393/#post-3690813

Let me explain. There is a group of true scammers who steal money with thousands of fake accounts created every month to exploit the game's freebies. So you will see that outside they can sell you peds at 40% of the real price. That is a true theft to the game!!!. If you receive peds from a scammer, nothing will happen to him but when you want to withdraw your money from the game, MA could block your account for being part of that illegal chain.

I'm surprised admin haven't locked this thread and pmed OP regarding possible breach of EULA

Its not illegal to buy peds from a friend, or make him purchase for you and give them to you ingame. But it will always be at a risk that if someone does a chargeback on a creditcard that was used to buy those peds, not only will you loose the peds but also risk loosing your account.

Buying peds of a trusted friend ingame? I see no problems with that, neither is it stated as being a bannable offense in the EULA. Buying from strangers or some uknown 3rd party on the internet? Highly recommend to stay away.

Here is the section of the TOU you are looking for relating to this:

6.1. Transactions between Avatars

The Entropia Universe provides You with trading administration services (including the Auction System service, the Shop Systems services, Avatar Direct Trade System services etc) that enables You to carry out secure transactions with others, in which participating parts can exchange Virtual Items and Real World Items (the "Approved Transaction").

Please notice that transactions concerning payment for Virtual Items, including PED, outside the Entropia Universe often involve fraudulent activities. You acknowledge that any transaction regarding Virtual Items, including PED, carried out using any service or system other than one of MindArk’s Approved Transaction systems is at Your own risk. MindArk reserves the right to take any reasonably necessary measures for the purpose of preventing and acting against frauds and non-Approved Transactions, including, but not limited to, making a reservation against a suspected Transaction, and Banning and/or Terminating a directly or indirectly involved Account, if MindArk determines that the transaction was not performed in compliance to this Agreement.

MindArk acknowledges the responsibility to maintain records on all transactions with Virtual Items via MindArk's Approved Transaction systems. You agree that MindArk's transaction records shall be conclusive proof of the transaction carried out via Your Account.

You acknowledge Your responsibility to keep track of any and all transactions with Virtual Items involving Your Account. MindArk accepts no responsibility for misplaced or misused Virtual Items in any incidence, regardless of reason.

Yes I read the TOU. And I am not talking about buying from some shady website or anything of that nature. I simply wanted to know if acquiring peds through means outside of mindarks infrastructure was breaking the rules. per the example of a friend hits a big hof or global and does not want to wait and I send them money and they give me their ped.

I asked because of these words in the TOU
MindArk reserves the right to take any reasonably necessary measures for the purpose of preventing and acting against frauds and non-Approved Transactions,

The 'Non-approved Transactions' bit sounds like they can ban you whether there was fraud involved or not.

I'm surprised admin haven't locked this thread and pmed OP regarding possible breach of EULA
Seriously? What have I said that justifies this thread to be locked? I am trying to have a discussion about the rules and the TOU in order to better understand them and not break them. I am not advertising to sell ped or trying to get anyone else to do something wrong. If we can't openly discuss the rules of the game that this forum was created for, why have a forum at all? This thread could also provide valuable information to other people that might have been suckered into buying PED from one of the aforementioned fraudulent players but because I asked this question and it was openly discussed and warnings are posted what not to do, those people won't fall for the scam. So while the topic is of a questionable nature, it could prevent others from making a horrible mistake and locking it would serve to perpetuate ignorance on this subject.

Also something to be aware of is if you do aquire large amount of peds out of nowhere from another avatar and withdraw in the future, that can cause you trouble and may have to explain where it came from

Let me explain. There is a group of true scammers who steal money with thousands of fake accounts created every month to exploit the game's freebies. So you will see that outside they can sell you peds at 40% of the real price. That is a true theft to the game!!!. If you receive peds from a scammer, nothing will happen to him but when you want to withdraw your money from the game, MA could block your account for being part of that illegal chain.

I forgot to say scammers can also simulate HOFs because they take the fake avatar that consolidates the stolen peds to PVP4 where a clean avatar looting it. So check that your friend's HOF is a valid mob hunting, mining or crafting HOF.

2.11 - Entropia Universe Terms of Use/EULA Violation
Any thread, post, signature or publicly viewable content that clearly violates the Entropia Universe Terms of Use or End User License Agreement (EULA) will be deleted without notice, and may result in a temporary or permanent ban from the forum without notice, and if severe enough it may have impact on your ingame account. This rule includes such things as the sale of avatars, the sale of PED or items for cash, attempts to circumvent the official deposit/withdrawal channels, attempts to exploit a weakness in the client software and/or Entropia Universe servers, or defamation of any person, firm or entity, including, without limitation, MindArk PE AB, AR Universe AB, Forum Staff, Entropia Universe planet partners, MindArk's representatives and/or Entropia Universe.

Status
Back