News: A Minute with Marco

this i an other amazing interview, thank you :D

as always can't wait to get back in the game again :rolleyes: hoping for a calypso "light" experince Marco ;) or atlest get your partner Nvida to start dishing out the graphics cards... That March On troy wont plan itself ;) :laugh:

all the best,

Matthew.

lol just read a few more posts, did FPC just forget about the people with shops in the new oxford mall?

Oh yeah, great, but what about 150mln people playing eu? So that factories could work for someone exept tt :laugh: And what about space age? taming? mindforce? vehicles?

Nice interview Skam. :)

It is always nice to hear from Marco and and what he has in store for our universe.

Cheers :beerchug:

As a Xzion, i must say i really liked reading this, thanks Skam! =)

- Several years ago you mentioned factories…

- Yes, that is one example of a job. Factories are still being considered. It would leave room for jobs, and at the same time it would be another big business possibility. Right now land-areas are pretty much the highest you can get in the terms of in-game business. A factory would be great, because it would combine the layers of players. Newcomers should need veterans and veterans should need newcomers, he explains enthusiastically.

- One idea for the factories is machines that allocate resources and workers that allocate time. Workers get skill-points for working there without using their own money on resources, while the factory owner gets the items and perhaps a skill-percentage. It's a win-win situation for both groups.

:scratch2:

How long before
our new virtual factory Jobs
will be virutally outsourced
to the new
virtual Chinese Planet
:rolleyes:

Factories?

Is this what he virtually meant by a "kick ass game"?.

They want to be known as the online game, not the virtual universe that MindArk is building. The game-play and storyline is in focus.

- We're not making a virtual world. We don’t have the same outlook. We're making a game, and we want to give the user the colonist MMO experience. Colonist being the key.

everybody remember this!
entertainment is what we pay for

this interview almost made me start playing again :) great work.. and Im looking forward to taking part in Marcos EU.. I read about factories for the first time in the #1 entropian..(how many years ago was that?)

It seems like Marco and his team really know what they want for the future and I like it.. alot.

Hmm...

He states FPC is NOT MA, but then tells us how "WE" are working on making the CE more accessible. Contradicting?

And the factory sounds like good news (unless for those who spent a lot of money buying crafting skills)

edit: and the new layer in the economy can simply refer to his earlier explanation of the factory system, with formalized labour relationships.

Last edited:
Marco resembles a friend of mine... he's a politician.
Oh and exactly the same hand gesture they both have when candid conversation is happening ;)

And the factory sounds like good news (unless for those who spent a lot of money buying crafting skills)

edit: and the new layer in the economy can simply refer to his earlier explanation of the factory system, with formalized labour relationships.

Factory is 7 years old dreams... so dont hope for it any soon...I think it will be still a dream for a long long time...

Factory is 7 years old dreams... so dont hope for it any soon...I think it will be still a dream for a long long time...

we have to wait for trucks, so we can transport the factory.. or something

Loot revamp sounds good... bring it on please !!!

Oh and what about the egg ?

:scratch2:

How long before
our new virtual factory Jobs
will be virutally outsourced
to the new
virtual Chinese Planet
:rolleyes:

Factories?

Is this what he virtually meant by a "kick ass game"?.

Brooklyn... this is a pretty negative post ... and that from you ??? You don't stop surprising me :D

Hi,

with all due respect to Skam, this wasn't what I'd regard as "serious journalism". IMHO it wasn't more than giving cues, and helping Marco to salivate the usual marketing jabbering.

Some examples where I had wished more courage and more "journalism" other than just fawning on Marco:
(added speaker names in [...]'s to the original quotes)

[Marco:]Calypso won’t be alone in the universe much longer. The planet partners are readying their launch, but that isn’t a concern.

Why not respond:
Right, Marco, but don't you fear that the complete change of Planet Calypso, especially with the abundance of very steep areas all over the place, might have made quite some colonists alien with their former home planet? Was it really necessary to perform such a huge change, and why?

[Marco:]We’re working on reducing the system requirements, which creates a threshold.

Why not respond:
I guess you have tested it in advance, and you should have data about the computers your customers have. Reducing the system requirements - now? When all is done? Why? Have you really thought all of your customers would be happy to buy expensive new machines, with multi-core CPU's and multiple high-end graphics cards, creating insane noise and thermal/ energetic waste?

[Marco:]One really big challenge is to transform the old Entropia experience into the new Planet Calypso experience

Why not respond:
Agree, it will be a hard task. After you created a complete new game and destroyed all of the knowledge and reminiscences of your customers ... Any hints how you'd plan to get this done?

[Marco:]We made a game out of an engine that wasn’t made for our needs. We were one of CryTek’s first clients, and the CE2 was not made for MMOs

Why not respond:
Ahem, you chose an engine that wouldn't suit your needs? Why? There's quite some engines out there that seems to fit better - what was the reason to choose CE2? Did it come for free?

[Skam:] Several years ago you mentioned factories…

[Marco:]Yes, that is one example of a job. Factories are still being considered.

Why not respond:
Ahhhhhh, the factories! And the vehicles! And the improvements in taming, melee fighting etc. etc. Not to forget the infamous egg!!!
C'mon, be serious - still considering after years?

Take it just as an example. This would have been questions/ reply's that a lot of participants would have loved to see. Such, or similar.

Asking such would have you earned a +Rep from me. This interview however is IMHO far from what it could have been, and some participants do even talk of smelling organs colored like tree barks - I explicitly distance from such.

But I've read better things from you. C'mon, we know you can do!

Have fun!

i am so gay about all those eggxaggerations, they really seem to hook people up! Good work Marco!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FjSchBoch0[/YOUTUBE]
where the hack is my glas of juice?
/sarcasm off
and thx skam for the nice article

Last edited:

well , wait and see...
I hope that will be the end of "no-loot"....but i prefer not hope to much and wait for it...
The only way to not be disapointed , is to not hope for anything...Hope is a fun killing in this game.

Don't worry, I gave up the concept of hoping for anything a while ago.

The only way to not be disapointed , is to not hope for anything.

and just play the game.. instead of doing stupid deals with money you cant afford to lose..

Hi,

with all due respect to Skam, this wasn't what I'd regard as "serious journalism". IMHO it wasn't more than giving cues, and helping Marco to salivate the usual marketing jabbering.

I agree to a certain point with this. But EF is a bit of a happy-go-lucky place and im sure that if Marco feels that hes being pressed in a interview hes gonna fall into the " I cant comment on that" place !?
Infact , every interview I have read with anyone from MA/FPC has been in the shape of this " light" version with promises of better timeas ahead if we just have patience :laugh:

Why not respond:

I haven't written this in a Q&A manner. (You'll find very few actual journalists do this.) So how can you know I didn't respond?

If there was questions unanswered then I wouldn't post them in my article. It'd be frivolous and only result in me opposing my view on the readers. I give you what I got, and what you do with it is completely up to you. Its not my intention to publish an interview with such content just so some readers would think "Man, she's smart!".

But in fact it rather boils down to the fact that I didn't have a full day, Xandra. :) Thats why its called "A Minute With".

Last edited:
Infact , every interview I have read with anyone from MA/FPC has been in the shape of this " light" version with promises of better timeas ahead if we just have patience :laugh:

Ah, better times... Am I the only one who think, that better times were somewhere in 2005 - early 2007? Times when we had those old avatars, that did not looked like a barbie... coats being such an uber thing... when you could see massive on your finder, walk with legs sinking under you towards the spot and say in chat something like "I am sure I'll get a big hof any minute now" and then BAH!:)
Times of maddox4+dante and opalo+a106... ah I miss those times.

And then skill nerfs, cloth decay and necessity to keep it in full tt, foot-guards, amp nerfs, prices going sky high on unlimited stuff... unlimited stuff (good stuff) being removed from lootpool... etc, etc...

I am not saying that everything happening in entropia is bad, no, maybe it's good for the economy and if it's good for the economy, it's good for us. But I really miss those times.

I completely forgot the best event, the merry Mayhem! Ty for reminding it to me. Now back to work work work :handgun: :handgun: :handgun:

Sounds all good, hopefully All of your plans and ideas will come to reality before the community had enough. :wtg: I LOVE that "Factory" and "Job" part, that sounds cool enough. :wtg:

I seriously hope its not going to be little more than an artificial bottom which we get alot now aswell... You know, you loot 1 oil, 1 animal skin and 1 medium BLP ammo instead of nothing, which basically is nothing from decent mobs.

You know what, i'll try and derail this and go for the standard "loot sucks" whine; anyone notice loot being crap last few weeks? Four days hunting argo's, NOT EVEN A global, 3 days hunting trox/ ambulimax... not even a global... crafting every bit of oil and fabric i find... not a single global!

Yes i am whining, then again i'm not being serious beyond the point of being curious if its just me or not. If its just me, anyone else who had a long dry spell can relighten my hope and tell me how long real nasty dry-spells last?

BTW, great work on the interview OP. Dont think i like Marco, anyone aching to create gossip and conspiracy with my money basically makes me nervous :laugh:

Nice article Skam.

My 2 pecs:

Personally, regarding those who administer this game and the Platform, I have learned the hard way not to put one single iota of faith in anything they say they will do. Talk is cheap. With these people it's proven almost worthless.

Unless I actually see it functioning in-game, it won't happen and never will. End of story.

Nice article Skam.

My 2 pecs:

Personally, regarding those who administer this game and the Platform, I have learned the hard way not to put one single iota of faith in anything they say they will do. Talk is cheap. With these people it's proven almost worthless.

Unless I actually see it functioning in-game, it won't happen and never will. End of story.

Marconomics 101

Marco said:
The number of No Loot situations will be reduced drastically and maybe get removed completely. It is on the to-do plan, and it will be realized quite soon. With it comes a whole new concept, a new layer to the economy.

I can't get around this one... only thing I can come up with is that they could make skills lootable instead of attained while doing a profession. That way you almost always have loot (skills), with no additional costs for MA.
But a 'new layer' it's not... hmmm very curious about it.

Back