Suggestion: Accounts on forum should have mandatory 'avatar name' field filled.

The most basic implementation of such a system would be to have the avatar name field required and check with db to be unique. No extra verification and in no way manual verification should be done. But havign that displayed for new avatars, the community (the curious ones) will do their research further.

potential benefits of such a system are unclear at best.
At the time of this thread was created, we had several new accounts trashing the forum and even if people figured out they were dodgy and reported them, your advanced systems took days and weeks to do the job even with reports from community. So yeah, the community would benefit from such a thing, anyone that would give two shits about this community could see that. But it's not the case, no MA staff gives the required two shits. Yeah I know this project (pcf) is greatly understaffed and having big workload took away any satisfaction, it's noticeable in your posts for some weeks now, this won't fix that, but this, along with other things you do, could help having a more clean air around here so new players could stick around for longer. We definitely need an active community manager but that's another topic......

I really did not appreciate finding out that Entropia Life was publishing my global data without my permission.
Now I think it's not so bad,
It's only linked to my Avatar.

I did not use my real name to create an MMO character.
I have not and will never create an account with Entropia Life.
I have not and will never join an SOC.
I have not and will never trade over the forums.
I have contacted sellers and requested them to list on the broker.
MA knows who I am when I created my PCF account.
I am not afraid to tell you what I am like, what I do, or my opinions.
You can probably find out who I am but I will not have a relationship with anyone outside of the game.

If you dont like it TS!

1. This an external web site!.
2. It is not part of the game.
3. Not everyone comes here for social media.
4. Many use the forums to express concernes to MA about current issues.
5. Many use the forum to get information about current issues.
6. Not everyone uses the forum to stroke their ego and get a really good social score.
7. Not everyone comes to the forum to sell their stuff so they don't have to pay broker fees.
8. Considering the current trend of doxing cancel culture and harrasment, using the forums should not require exposing any in game information.
9. Looking at posts it should be clear that the user is actually playing the game and inputing whatever contribution they deem to be reasonable.
10. Ignoring trolling and harrasing people who want privacy is the same reason that privacy needs to be respected.

While I love the idea and wish it could be done, truth is... There isn't enough manpower to handle it, no matter how easy you think it could be implemented. (Speaking as someone who's worked on the back-end of this forum, I should know)

It's easy to say "all YOU have to do is...", when you aren't one that has to do the work. But we have remember the ones involved in this forum are:
  1. Either doing it for free and have their other lives to handle
  2. or full time paid and already have their plate full

I wish there was a mandatory field for forum accounts to be able to post - full ingame name should be required.
There could be some limitations for the accounts without this filled, like in some help area or greetings area, but sometimes the alts created issue gets out of hand and it takes quite some time for them to be sorted, like in the past few weeks...

regards

Edit: at the time of creating of this thread, there were probably a few people that were keep getting banned but they kept coming back trolling hard.

i like it.. imo users should only ever see your avatar name if they wanna be to strict on not changing usernames!!!

and holy faak clearly i need to make some signature sizing adjustments jesus lol

How else are we going to find out who to put in concentration camps if people won't own up to what they say?

For security purposes maybe our username should be hidden and Avatar Name displayed prominently. Can't usernames be used as part of the logon information when logging in? None of the names need to be verified if it wastes admin time.

I chose a generic username for this forum before I decided to play Entropia. I wanted to ask some questions and see if this game was right for me. Back then your forum email had to be from a paid service (no AOL, Hotmail or Yahoo allowed) - made it harder to throw away an old forum account and create a new one.

I wish I could change my username to match my Avatar Name but @711 told me I waited too long ?

There is an increased practise of creating noname accounts on this forum lately through proxies to slander/harrass other players without accountability because such accounts have no consequences for the ingame accounts even though they intentionally break ToU.
Many games nowadays link forum and ingame accounts so players can not harass each other on the game forums without the game company being able to hold them responsible to the standards of conduct they want amoungst their playerbase.
A simple requirement to have a game account first and verify the forum account over the same email as the ingame account would allow for accountability even if a user wanted to keep their name hidden on the forum. Mindark would still be able to hold such users accountable if they were in breach of ToU.

I agree, there seems to be a lot more bullying and harassing of players lately across many platforms. It would be nice if pcf did link to our ingame account. Too bad it wasn't thought of in the recent revamping of the forum layout.

I agree , loads of games have a API that hooks in game account to their forums.
It would make this place better in a lot of ways.

Thinking about this more, i think it would do the game alot of good if accounts were linked, names were visible and game accounts who never made it out of the starterarea could only post in a forum rookie area until they became real players.
That would likely cut down on alot of pcf toxicity coming from 'altaccounts'/noname accounts - as not many would go through the process of creating an alt account and getting it through the starterarea before they could make up false statements about real players.

This is an RCE - our reputation is one of our most valueable assets - noname accounts are currently being used to destroy the reputation of many established players.

The email I use for EU is the same one I use for PCF.

If you use a different email for PCF then you should be able to have MA add a secondary email through a support case, with photo ID, to your EU account, for PCF purposes.

In the cryptospace theres a subject called KYC. Some tokens have taken it upon themselves to solve this problem. Litentry and Selfkey for two examples. Have fun being a dinosaur!

We do have moderation here, which is a good thing IMO. I remember an old entropiaforum that had "freedom of speech" it was mainly garbage spewing. I don't recall the name.
I criticise Mindark from time to time when I feel things have been dealt with wrongly, like the cyrene armor mess. If I have to register through the official game, would that also mean, I could get locked ingame for voicing my opinion? No thanks.
I do have my avatar name listed in here, and you can see I am from the Ministry and live in the Netherlands. I am not hiding, but I wouldn't like to face ingame penalties for raising concerns.

We do have moderation here, which is a good thing IMO. I remember an old entropiaforum that had "freedom of speech" it was mainly garbage spewing. I don't recall the name.
I criticise Mindark from time to time when I feel things have been dealt with wrongly, like the cyrene armor mess. If I have to register through the official game, would that also mean, I could get locked ingame for voicing my opinion? No thanks.
I do have my avatar name listed in here, and you can see I am from the Ministry and live in the Netherlands. I am not hiding, but I wouldn't like to face ingame penalties for raising concerns.
I dont think there would be penalities for voicing your opinion about armour, but for example this rule -
d. You may not take any action, post, communicate, upload or otherwise use any content, including text, images and sounds, that MindArk, at its sole and absolute discretion determines to be sexually explicit, racially, ethnically, religiously or sexually offensive, hateful, vulgar, defamatory, libelous, harassing or threatening to another person or organization or otherwise objectionable. This includes communications in the Entropia Universe and in any other website or forum with connection to the Entropia Universe.

Is currently getting-by passed by atls & trolls using proxies. As this forum is owned by MA, the same rules apply as to in game, and there shouldn't be an easy way to break the rules and get a way with it.

It goes so far as they have also started to make a number of fake accounts on other platforms, using other well established player names to impersonate them and trash talk to push the agenda.

Not sure if MA will be able to do much about that. We just have to be aware and be prepared that at some point your own good name may be at question.

But it should at least start here. Every other week there is a new hatchling that appears, with no name, being very vocal and spreading the same narrative.

Not to mention the Spambots!

I agree and don't agree

As a 'fair use policy' I think it is logical, common sense, that people fill in their full avatar name on this forum. It is straightforward, easy and a responsible thing to do.

Making this mandatory implies a serious breach to the rights of privacy and freedom of speech.

In some situations it may be ill-advised to have your contact data under every post. In this day of 'public shaming', posting a controversial idea may affect your future life in game, resulting in people rather not posting content that could have been valuable.

I value privacy and anonymity rather highly. In certain cases these values may be a necessary thing:
- Imagine your pcf account got locked for an illegitimate reason. You may get it back after your case is reviewed further, but in the meantime reaching out to the community should be possible with a secondary or new account, where you obviously cannot state your avatar name.
- Imagine something very fishy is going on at MA's office. It may be advisable to inform others about it, without risking being punished by MA with your EU account. (I'm quite sure today it wouldn't come to that, but you never know what the board of MA in 5 years will be like.)

Both irl as in-game, privacy is the last resort of self-protection if your boss, office or government has been corrupted and will pressure you into not talking about the facts. The generation that lived through WW2 understands this quite well. Unfortunately a majority of people today no longer do.

Another example: Imagine there would have been zero privacy during WW2: Absolutely no-one would have escaped from being arrested based on race, religion or political preference!

Freedom and privacy that is taken away from people, is never re-won without a battle.

Your claim to “freedom of speech” is irrelevant if you are going to hide behind multiple accounts anonymously.
The examples you use break the rules by having multiple accounts.

Your claim to “freedom of speech” is irrelevant if you are going to hide behind multiple accounts anonymously.
The examples you use break the rules by having multiple accounts.
NP is not NP? That's news to me.

I agree and don't agree

As a 'fair use policy' I think it is logical, common sense, that people fill in their full avatar name on this forum. It is straightforward, easy and a responsible thing to do.

Making this mandatory implies a serious breach to the rights of privacy and freedom of speech.

In some situations it may be ill-advised to have your contact data under every post. In this day of 'public shaming', posting a controversial idea may affect your future life in game, resulting in people rather not posting content that could have been valuable.

I value privacy and anonymity rather highly. In certain cases these values may be a necessary thing:
- Imagine your pcf account got locked for an illegitimate reason. You may get it back after your case is reviewed further, but in the meantime reaching out to the community should be possible with a secondary or new account, where you obviously cannot state your avatar name.
- Imagine something very fishy is going on at MA's office. It may be advisable to inform others about it, without risking being punished by MA with your EU account. (I'm quite sure today it wouldn't come to that, but you never know what the board of MA in 5 years will be like.)

Both irl as in-game, privacy is the last resort of self-protection if your boss, office or government has been corrupted and will pressure you into not talking about the facts. The generation that lived through WW2 understands this quite well. Unfortunately a majority of people today no longer do.

Another example: Imagine there would have been zero privacy during WW2: Absolutely no-one would have escaped from being arrested based on race, religion or political preference!

Freedom and privacy that is taken away from people, is never re-won without a battle.
I agree that personal privacy should be taken very very seriously, and RL information etc should never be exposed to the public, and is actually the one thing this sort of change would help. Currently RL private material is being exposed by the trolls who hide behind anonymous forum names with no link to a real avatar.

As this is a forum operated by MA, and falls under the same rules, then they same rules should apply. Anything that you would say/do here would be something you would also say in the game. You cant have multiple troll accounts in game, and should not be allowed to have that here either. MA needs to have some recourse for those who are trying to flood the game with toxicity via alt accounts hidden by anonymity. Worse still, as has been mentioned before, they have started using the avatar names of real entropians, old entropians with good reputations, who are completely unaware that they are now being branded a troll as someone has faked their name.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is suggesting in game penalties for voicing an opinion here or in game about MA or others, so long as that opinion is not in breach of rules regarding posts that are ' sexually explicit, racially, ethnically, religiously or sexually offensive, hateful, vulgar, defamatory, libellous, harassing or threatening '
Sadly we have seen all those rules broken both here on occasion, and far more frequently in game. Why more frequent in game ? less or zero moderation.

I therefore believe moderation is very necessary and if done correctly can make the forum and the game (especially Rookie) both more pleasant and of greater value.
If someone has a quick rant and it is evident why, no reason for a moderator to step in tbh. Being able to vent can be very therapeutic and can even let others realise they are not alone in their frustrations.
If someone goes on and on and on, and especially if they try to destroy the reputations of others without very clear proofs, rather than assumptions and lies, then maybe a mod should first pm them, ask if they can assist, and politely ask them to tone it down, as point made.
The same should also apply to others that troll that person.

If they are then stupid and rude enough to ignore mod, or worse abuse mod, then I don't see a short timeout as any more serious than a child being told to sit on thee 'naughty step' until it calms down. Sometimes we all just need time to calm ourselves. Used wisely this may even stop people saying something while in a temper that they could regret later. Obviously if they are repeat offenders then maybe the time outs should get longer (with a reset after say 3 months of no timeouts), and for the worst offenders, as now, a chat and/or forum ban.

As for people with temp bans not being able to post in forum, simple.. allow them a 2nd account, clearly marked as such, and auto locked by the system when first account is unlocked. The second account having restricted access to a general chat only, so they can seek community advice etc if the need arises.

This has nothing to do with this topic. Some players do criticize MA, some d it on a daily basis, some went to the extreme and even if it's against TOU in some (again, extreme) cases, I never heard anyone being banned from the game for criticism or for cussing at MA... no saying they should get banned or not, but that's not the topic.

At the time this thread was created, there was a big influx of 'brand new' players that were spreading a lot of BS when it was clear that they weren't new and that they had a hidden dirty agenda. The forum picked them as alts and banned them eventually, but it took some days and weeks and probably few reports.

You already gave your avatar name, I'm not sure why you are against this suggestion... not sure you understand the topic... it's just to link the forum account to the ingame avatar, mainly for the benefit of the community, not for a way to punish people, they could've punished ppl for talking shit long time ago if they wanted

Last edited:
No one is suggesting that your personal information be disclosed.

Suggesting that your human rights extend to your virtual avatar or multiple anonymous forum accounts for that matter, is a bit of a stretch.

You are not free to say what you like or discuss certain topics on this forum or in game that would break the rules set out in the terms of use.

Last edited:
Neither your forum username nor your avatar name are considered private or personal information. Linking them, which is what this thread is requesting, would be perfectly fine.

Terms of Use, section 4, Privacy Protection:
MindArk respects Your right to anonymity in the Entropia Universe and intends to keep all Self Registered Personal Information confidential, and to handle such information with accordance to MindArk’s
And, section 8, Rules of Conduct, paragraph m):
m. You may not post or convey any other Participants’ Personal Information and/or Login Details, in, on or outside the Entropia Universe.

What this thread is asking for has nothing to do with freedom of speech or privacy laws. I'll say more, plenty of big games out there have been doing exactly this since.... forever.

Sometimes I feel like people in this forum are actively looking for problems everywhere they can, just out of boredom or something.

Also, have my +1 to this request :thumbup:

Let me approach this subject from a slightly more scientific perspective

Problem:
In this forum we have let's say, 1000 'good' users, and 5 'scammers'.

Bad Solution:
If PCF would require KYC, the 1000 'good' users would be required to take action and verify their accounts, while the 5 'scammers' would not. They would just find another way to do their damage. Basically you would be requiring action from the innocent, while the guilty ones don't have to do anything. This is called 'punishing the good, for the actions of the bad', and is morally wrong, inefficient an inappropriate. It is the wrongdoers that should be made life more difficult, and not the 'good' users.

It is like spraying and poisoning the whole lawn for two unwanted herbs, rather then removing the two unwanted herbs.

Perhaps Better Solution:
I would suggest a voluntary verification, where your avatar name would get a tag "verified user". I'd gladly participate in this.
Your "Avatar Name" should be the same as in-game and be non-changeable after verification.
Although it would require more man-hours from MA's side, perhaps your pcf account could be added to your user details in the Entropia Account after verification.

Security:
Obviously, from an internet security perspective, it is safety suicide to use the same email address for both PCF and MA accounts. This is about the same as using the same code for every payment card, using the same password for every website. Security experts like myself often prefer to use a different email address for each website, so that if one website gets hacked, your online security is only compromised for that one website, rather than all the websites you have an account with.

The Art of Combating Fraud:
First of all, know your enemy.
If you make it nearly impossible for ppl to post messages on pcf without verification, the scammers will find a new way to hide and conduct their fraudulent business elsewhere. On the other hand, if you can identify them, you know what to do.
"Keep your friends close, your enemies closer."

Last edited:
Back