Advice on Windows 10 upgrade

Oleg

Mutated
Oleg Oleg McMullery
Technerds! Help!

Let's say that I theoretically wanted to do a clean reinstall on my PC which is currently running Windows 7, and let's say I figure I might as well get my free Windows 10 upgrade while I'm at it. Should I:

a) reformat and install Windows 7, then do the update;
b) install the update now and hope everything will be fine anyway;
c) install the update now and then do something to get a clean install (not sure what that would be as I presumably then wouldn't have a clean boot Windows 10 CD - or do I get to make one as part of the update?);
d) just reinstall Windows 7 and leave it as it is because Windows 10 should be avoided;
e) other?

A quick Google seems to suggest c. Do you agree?

when you upgrade to window 10 your licence is converted to a win 10 licence. you can then do a clean install after (option in installer) windows 10 is stable and as the free period is ending soon its worth upgrading if your pc can cope (ideally more than 4GB ram)

b) and then clean install of Win 10. Although in my case Win 10 didn't pick up the license after clean install the first time, so I had to repeat with clean install of win 7, upgrade to 10 and clean install of 10.

b) install the update now and hope everything will be fine anyway

That is what I did and not only does my Machine run better and smoother, but I had zero Issues.
I use the same machine for work and play - and it was a blessing to get Windows 10, especially since I run so much software at once at work. Seems to run much smoother now.

Processor: I7-4700 @3.4 Ghz
Physical Ram: 24 GB
Video: GeForce GTX 750 2GB Ram

EU runs on Very High w/o problems

Technerds! Help!

Let's say that I theoretically wanted to do a clean reinstall on my PC which is currently running Windows 7, and let's say I figure I might as well get my free Windows 10 upgrade while I'm at it. Should I:

a) reformat and install Windows 7, then do the update;
b) install the update now and hope everything will be fine anyway;
c) install the update now and then do something to get a clean install (not sure what that would be as I presumably then wouldn't have a clean boot Windows 10 CD - or do I get to make one as part of the update?);
d) just reinstall Windows 7 and leave it as it is because Windows 10 should be avoided;
e) other?

A quick Google seems to suggest c. Do you agree?

Okay, so i've kinda the family PC nerd, so i've had a look at multiple PC's having upgrades from windows 7 to 10.

Some had succes with the upgrade and have no problems at all, while others experience hang ups and etc. 2 laptops had to be reformated to windows 7, and then upgraded straight to windows 10 to work properly. They had problems with freezing and even one black screened untill forced to restart... All problems went away after forementioned clean install and upgrade. Same story for both was, that they had those windows 7 installations running for atleast 2 years.

If you had windows 7 for a longer period of time on your PC, and a lot of stuff installed etc. i'd no doubt go the clean windows 7 to windows 10 path. just to avoid any unneccesary headaches.

Should you have a fairly fresh install of windows 7 on the PC. Then i would try just upgrading it

Just my 2 pec's :)

dont do it util windows 10 have sp2

Won't agree, Works perfectly fine, even with older games so far. But some prefer the "safe route" which is letting the OS age a few years before upgrading. Not neccesary in this case since windows 10 seems pretty solid already

I took the plunge last week and I'm very happy with win10. The problem with waiting is that the free offer is only till June (I think).

Install & run this program after the upgrade if you want to disable all the data recollection shenanigans SB anti-beacon.

gl

also don't agree - im loving it here in windows 10 world.

I run 4 screens, with a ton of diff software programs and some are old as dirt (my company is cheap!). My computer is def smoother with W10

I'm staying with Win7 until I move to a new machine. Nothing against 10 but 7 is a good OS and everything I have works on it.

Now if I had Win8 I would take the free upgrade.

if you want the option to take print screens in full screen mode keep windows 7. If you don't have an issue with that here some status about windows versions:

Resources needed in stand-by (Ram and CPU):

Windows 7: 20%
Windows 8.1: 9%
Windows 10 1511: 7%

Don't do it!

Step AWAY from the 10.

Dealt with it. Hated it.

Move up to 8.1 if possible.

I think option b as well. worked for me on 2 win7 and 2 win 8,1 no problem.

After that i made Clean inställs and backup images with acronis 2015

Some other usefull stuff ,if you like old start menu and Explorer download classicshell its free.

Another usefull link for privacy is fix windows 10

Direct clean install of Win 10 via ISO

You may want to investigate the "Windows media creation tool" which creates a bootable media (DVD or USB) to install a clean Win10 directly from an ISO image available for download.

Simple reformat and install full clean Win 10.

This mitigates the need for a Win 7 reinstall or any upgrade path, and should save you a chunk of time.

You will need to record your current Win 7 key before doing so.

There was a new version of the windows 10 install image released in March but you'll need to load it onto a dual layer dvd or a usb flash drive as it's close to or over 4.5Gb in size.

If you need to you can use the a windows 7 key but you'll need to use a newer version of the Win 10 install disk atleast TH1 otherwise there's a chance it won't work, better to use the TH1 version anyway although I've heard of people having problems with it. Not sure what the changes are in the March version but it grew by quite a lot.

I'd suggest doing a complete system image of you're machine as it stands incase anything goes wrong or use fresh drives (I'm still using hdd's for my system but moving my games onto a dedicated 512Gb SSD).

Windows 10 is not done yet.

I did try Windows 10 on a few computers, the computers it will work good on i really like the software.
But on some computer hardware it works just as good as Windows Vista. (really SHIT)

It might depend on what PC u have, if u bought a branded PC like HP or Dell or some other common brand you might do good.
But if u built ur PC alone with Asus ROG cards and highend hardware its a big risk the drivers and windows are not working good together becouse so low % of people use this kind of hardware.

I did reinstall back to Windows 7 again on my game rig, but i still use Windows 10 on my HP Laptop.

I've got 10 installed on an old HP Proliant ML115 and although it works it doesn't recognise the P400 raid sas controller and I doubt HP will be releasing updated drivers for Server 2012 that will work.

My home machine should work in theory but I'm not going to even attempt it yet.

The best windows 10 story came from my boss, while at a conference someone was working on a document on their Win10 laptops and decided it would reboot after updating and took all this guys work with it.

Windows 10 is not done yet.

I did try Windows 10 on a few computers, the computers it will work good on i really like the software.
But on some computer hardware it works just as good as Windows Vista. (really SHIT)

It might depend on what PC u have, if u bought a branded PC like HP or Dell or some other common brand you might do good.
But if u built ur PC alone with Asus ROG cards and highend hardware its a big risk the drivers and windows are not working good together becouse so low % of people use this kind of hardware.

I did reinstall back to Windows 7 again on my game rig, but i still use Windows 10 on my HP Laptop.

Win 10 with MSI R9 380 /asus rock MB Z97X / Xeon 4 core intel cpu / 16 gb ram and sound blaster sound card work pretty good. Much better as with win 7.

I prefer windows 11

I've got it running on GSXP-TSP-90007, with 32768 modulated core, 10 ziggibites of ZB-RAM, with 9 screens.

Comes with free VR glove which allows you to water-board an animation of Bill Gates, whist holding him around the throat. It's very satisfying.

Rick

Upgraded to win10 the second day it was out, works like a charm since then. I was happy with win7 and thought nothing can be more slick, especially a fresh product. I was wrong, never looked back. i7 5820k / Asus x99 deluxe MB / Asus gtx980 / Corsair ddr4 ram, all heavily overclocked, no problems with drivers or stability, works 24/7 for many weeks until some update requires a reboot.

Thanks everyone. It sounds like I should probably just do the update and see how it pans out, then reinstall either 7 or 10 at a later date if necessary.

I don't think I'll have any issues with my PC running it. It's about 3.5 years old so it's getting on a bit in PC terms, but it was fairly high-end when I bought it so it's still decently capable now. It's been running perfectly smoothly until recently when it's started to have some glitches that look like they're OS-related, hence the need for a clean install. Considering it's running for 12 hours+ most days, I think lasting that long without one is pretty good going :D

Thanks everyone. It sounds like I should probably just do the update and see how it pans out, then reinstall either 7 or 10 at a later date if necessary.

I don't think I'll have any issues with my PC running it. It's about 3.5 years old so it's getting on a bit in PC terms, but it was fairly high-end when I bought it so it's still decently capable now. It's been running perfectly smoothly until recently when it's started to have some glitches that look like they're OS-related, hence the need for a clean install. Considering it's running for 12 hours+ most days, I think lasting that long without one is pretty good going :D

My PC I built in 2011. Only graphic card been upgraded since. Still runs things fine. Although CPU is beginning to be a bottleneck. So a well built PC can go long before needing to put much money in it again

I also did test win 10 at this : amd phenom 4 core (from year 2009) and ati 7770 with a old asus rock mainboard, and was running smooth. I really like win 10, especial if you also have a win tablet and win phone.

Sounds like a plan.
Was going to say option C but if you pick option B you can revert back to win7 within a month, but thinking about it since you want to do re-install anyway... I'd still go with option C... Clean install really is the best, would let you really try 10 for real.

My personal plan is to stick with 8.1 as long as possible and then grab 10 in time for the big update scheduled for summer, making sure I get a free copy as well as waiting for the first "SP".

Upgraded to win10 the second day it was out, works like a charm since then. I was happy with win7 and thought nothing can be more slick, especially a fresh product. I was wrong, never looked back. i7 5820k / Asus x99 deluxe MB / Asus gtx980 / Corsair ddr4 ram, all heavily overclocked, no problems with drivers or stability, works 24/7 for many weeks until some update requires a reboot.
I sort of thought the same, but once I upgraded to 8, I realized just how ugly Aero is.

Sounds like a plan.
Was going to say option C but if you pick option B you can revert back to win7 within a month, but thinking about it since you want to do re-install anyway... I'd still go with option C... Clean install really is the best, would let you really try 10 for real.

My personal plan is to stick with 8.1 as long as possible and then grab 10 in time for the big update scheduled for summer, making sure I get a free copy as well as waiting for the first "SP".

Well if it's true, as I've been told, that having done the initial update I won't have to spend further time reinstalling applications, restoring data etc (I will make a back-up of what I need anyway of course, I'm not stupid :D) then I figure I can do that, make the boot disc or whatever, and if I still feel like a clean install would help I can do that later, without having wasted much extra time, and will then have the choice of sticking with 10 or reverting to 7.

Seems to me that if I do that, the best case scenario is I get what I need without having to mess around with reinstalling all my software, and the worst case scenario is I get to play around with Windows 10 for a bit before going for the full reformat that I would have had to do anyway.

Back