AGP versus PCI

Queen

Old Alpha
Queen Queen Jezebel
A question to you pc gurus out there.
Awhile back i remember agp was the bomb had best results for graphics and speed. But now i hear from my tech friends that pci is back and better then ever makeing agp cards takeing the backseat.
What are your views and commits on this?
As i am haveing to get another videocard cause my last one burntup,:( it was a agp.

there is a difference between pci and pci express. pci express is the new standard and has higher bandwith than agp.
if you have an agp slot on your motherboard you would usually not have a PCIe slot, atleast not x16 that is usually for gfx cards (you can get PCIe slots with different lanes, x1 is very short with a lower bandwith and x16 is long with higher bandwith).

a agp gfx card is far better than a regular pci (not express) gfx card.

hope that helps :)

Thanks sob, see thats how much i know about computors enough to get me into trouble.:D
Now i know i got to get me a agp for this computor.:ahh:

Thanks sob, see thats how much i know about computors enough to get me into trouble.:D
Now i know i got to get me a agp for this computor.:ahh:

Hi,

Good luck finding decent AGP cards at a sensible price / spec :( Over here in the UK they are getting harder to find and from the few bits i've read its not uncommon to for a lesser spec AGP card to cost more than PCI-E. Also as i understand the higher spec cards are only available a PCI-E anyway

Was looking to upgrade my current AGP machine with new processor, ram and video card but to be honest will be more cost effective overall to replace the mobo etc with "modern" kit. The alternative is hunt around ebay etc for compatible bits and suffer all the joys and hassles that come with it.

Cheers
TJ

A friend of mine has an AGP pc (as do I) he upgraded his AGP Radeon 9800Pro to an X1950 Pro several months ago.

I dont know if they still make decent graphic cards for AGP although I hope they will do as I dont really want to upgrade everything yet.

You may also want to consider SLi which will let you run 2 PCI e cards linked together to share the load.

You may also want to consider SLi which will let you run 2 PCI e cards linked together to share the load.

or quad-sli...or tri-sli...well, its your decision

Level.

well i found me a agp card cheap today ati radeon x1050 256mb agp works better then my otherone which was a ati 9800 pro, plus the old drivers work better then the new ones. go figure.:scratch2:
anyway thanks all for the input and will be seeing you all online.:)

well i found me a agp card cheap today ati radeon x1050 256mb agp works better then my otherone which was a ati 9800 pro, plus the old drivers work better then the new ones. go figure.:scratch2:
anyway thanks all for the input and will be seeing you all online.:)

I installed EU on old pc with 9600XT and drivers from 2005 and EU is playable.
Go figure indeed :laugh:.

Back