Amazon takes CryEngine to the lumberyard

Superb, I love it. I wonder how hard it is to make a game with this, with no experience.

Rick

Superb, I love it. I wonder how hard it is to make a game with this, with no experience.

Rick

I am not a game developer, but it fascinates me. I would assume its a lot harder than people imagine to do it right judging by the size and budgets of companies that seem to do it well. Its free, give it a shot! :)

Rick

I can tell you, it is not so easy as many think :) You need to know and learn a lot!

Thanks for the heads up, didn't know about this til now, downloaded. :)

The scripting is unlike the other engines Ive used anyhow so far, uses workflow rather than an actual language, which will be an interesting learn. I tend to like the flexibility/complexity with manual scripting languages, but well see. Great thing is the native code is C++, so still able to do some pretty hefty things if needed with your own tools/core code changes.

*Turns out it uses Lua for scripting. I see a pretty big learning curve on this one, documentation is fairly lacking at the moment. But man it looks robust. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. Didn't knew this.
It's amazing and making things much more interesting for creators of virtual reality.

Sorry, can't + rep ya so soon again (rules:ahh:)

I know from experience licensing can get very messy and VERY Expensive with some partners. I'm curious about MAs licensing situation. I wonder if this would have an impact on that. I wonder what it would take for them to make a move to this to cut current licensing costs, assuming they are paying a lot for their current licensing situation.

If they cut costs here, then possibly they can improve in some other game related areas, hopefully not just management bonus/salary...

"drag-and-drop visual scripting interface", this might sound like a brilliant idea if you have no code/scripting experience but for someone who have that experience this is complete garbage, :).

Judging by how they talk about it this seem to be a loss leader for twitch/Amazon in some capacity. Will be interesting to see if they are able to join the top tier pack of game engines or not.

Cheers
- Jonas

"drag-and-drop visual scripting interface", this might sound like a brilliant idea if you have no code/scripting experience but for someone who have that experience this is complete garbage, :).

Judging by how they talk about it this seem to be a loss leader for twitch/Amazon in some capacity. Will be interesting to see if they are able to join the top tier pack of game engines or not.

Cheers
- Jonas

It's always nice to be able to lift the hood and crawl into the engine compartment and get your hands dirty :)

I was thinking about whether it could be used to create an EU planet as well but from what I understand the license agreement says that any content must only read/write data to AWS servers and no other.

So i guess this rules out using this software to develop an EU planet unless MA make the switch to using amazon servers... Or unless MA are already using service?

Still really cool to be able to look at software like this to get a free for it. Might see some interesting developments in the future.

I thought Amazon sold books, are the doing computer software stuff also?

Kind of shows how far out of the loop you are these days :)

I am not a game developer, but it fascinates me.

Fascinates me too.

I can tell you, it is not so easy as many think :) You need to know and learn a lot!

I believe you....lol

Cheers
- Jonas

I think drag and drop game development is the future, who cares how "garbage" it is, if the end product produces something fun and interactive. Players don't care how beautiful the coding looks under the hood.

I can build really nice spread sheets, but I've not got a clue how the software was programmed. If the whole game development process is automated, that is fantastic for creative people.

The most frustrating problem I see is even if you've got a creative mind, you might not have the artistic skills to create the mobs and avas, or animate it how your mind sees it. However if you could create mobs, similar to say MA's avatar creation tools, then you're 90% there with the visuals.

I think many corporate IT people these days are not really coders, they're system operators. They click and activate. It's not like the 80's when you needed some coding or DOS experience to run anything. So why can't game development be as simple as that?

Rick

I think many corporate IT people these days are not really coders, they're system operators. They click and activate. It's not like the 80's when you needed some coding or DOS experience to run anything. So why can't game development be as simple as that?

Rick

About it is not easy: it is not only one job.

It is one job for artist
it is one job for animator
one job for programmer.. level designer, concept artist, storry teller... and and and.. depending what game you make.

All this needs special knowlege, and it take ages, if one person want do all of this :)

Making a game is big project with a lot stuff involved. No generator can do all this jobs. But It have tons of tools around, making game developing more easy. But make a game button will never happens :)

Kind of shows how far out of the loop you are these days :)

Haha to be honest, I know Amazon sells more than books these days, but I actually thought they only sold books until like a year ago. So I have no clue when they switch from books to other stuff, I have not great Interested in them, feels more like an American thing.

Haha to be honest, I know Amazon sells more than books these days, but I actually thought they only sold books until like a year ago. So I have no clue when they switch from books to other stuff, I have not great Interested in them, feels more like an American thing.

They have had their head in the clouds for a while, google AWS (Amazon Web Service) :)

more than books......

In October 2015, Amazon.com said in its Q3 earnings report that AWS's operating income was $521 million, with operating margins at 25 percent. AWS's Q3 2015 revenue was $2.1 billion, a 78% increase from Q3 2014's revenue of $1.17 billion.[31]

I think many corporate IT people these days are not really coders, they're system operators. They click and activate. It's not like the 80's when you needed some coding or DOS experience to run anything.

Rick

Many of the "corporate IT people" in our S&P 500 listed Large Cap company would disagree :)

They have had their head in the clouds for a while, google AWS (Amazon Web Service) :)

Okey, I thought they only sold hardware stuff, sound like companies do all kind of stuff outside their original core business these days. :p

Call me pessimist but I think there is/will be some catch.
Amazon is not non-profit organization, so either there is some revenue stream already in License or there will be in future...

Okey, I thought they only sold hardware stuff, sound like companies do all kind of stuff outside their original core business these days. :p

I am sure you have heard of such things as Kindle, Amazon Fire, Fire TV, etc.... as well as Amazon Video, all stuff powered by their farms....

Amazon is not non-profit organization, so either there is some revenue stream already in License or there will be in future...

Of course there is, and they are upfront and honest about it.... if you use online networking parts for your game and do not use your own servers, then you have to use theirs (which obviously isnt free)

I am sure you have heard of such things as Kindle, Amazon Fire, Fire TV, etc.... as well as Amazon Video, all stuff powered by their farms....

As well as all of the other companies offering basically the same/similar stuff, GOOG, MSFT, IBM, etc. :D

Of course there is, and they are upfront and honest about it.... if you use online networking parts for your game and do not use your own servers, then you have to use theirs (which obviously isnt free)

If there is option to use own server with no other conditions, then this actually is pretty ok.
Surely they won't charge too much for it, at least at beginning....

mentions the amazon cloud on the site in a few places.

I think drag and drop game development is the future, who cares how "garbage" it is, if the end product produces something fun and interactive. Players don't care how beautiful the coding looks under the hood.

I can build really nice spread sheets, but I've not got a clue how the software was programmed. If the whole game development process is automated, that is fantastic for creative people.

The most frustrating problem I see is even if you've got a creative mind, you might not have the artistic skills to create the mobs and avas, or animate it how your mind sees it. However if you could create mobs, similar to say MA's avatar creation tools, then you're 90% there with the visuals.

Rick

Why cant game development be as simple as that, because it isent? I just recently wrote a 10000 line long inventory system for a project that can never be replicated using a node based drag and drop system, its impossible. Thats not me saying im great by the way(All though i am clearly amazing), its me saying the systematic limitations of not interacting directly with code or script means you are removing a layer of posibility from the end product.

I regularly work with Drag and drop node based systems as well and there are clear advantages to them in certain situations, for example when creating a custom PBR shader in a rendering engine you probably want a drag and drop system rather then source code but that dosnt mean they work for all issues everywhere at all times.

The problem with the assumption that this enables creativity i think is naive, your enabling visual creativity by removing functional creativity.

Cheers
Jonas

Last edited:

It's like an old joke of a prisoner who gives free sardines meal to other inmates.
Then he charges 100$ per glass of water lfao

Also if creation of a game and games mechanism was so simple, MA could be the No1 company at games industry on earth by now.

Last edited:
Also if creation of a game and games mechanism was so simple, MA could be the No1 company at games industry on earth by now.

(assuming you are not being facetious)

Nope, content is king which takes creativity and execution, neither are MA strong points. EU would be the same, just with less bugs...

Anyone saw the terms and conditions?

57.10 Acceptable Use; Safety-Critical Systems. Your use of the Lumberyard Materials must comply with the AWS Acceptable Use Policy. The Lumberyard Materials are not intended for use with life-critical or safety-critical systems, such as use in operation of medical equipment, automated transportation systems, autonomous vehicles, aircraft or air traffic control, nuclear facilities, manned spacecraft, or military use in connection with live combat. However, this restriction will not apply in the event of the occurrence (certified by the United States Centers for Disease Control or successor body) of a widespread viral infection transmitted via bites or contact with bodily fluids that causes human corpses to reanimate and seek to consume living human flesh, blood, brain or nerve tissue and is likely to result in the fall of organized civilization.

Maybe they know something we don't?

Anyway already downloaded the engine + all the other extras + docs they offer so I can play around with it.

Back