Animal scanning

davidgr1200

Elite
Society
Gloryhound Irregulars
Maxic
Not sure if this is the correct forum for this but there appears to be no forum for scanning. Taming seems to be the nearest I can come.
Naively I assume that if I scan uber mobs I will get more skills than if I scan low-level mobs, but it doesn't appear to be that way so I thought I'd try an experiment to see what happens. I will post the results here. I will just look at Scan Animal

Equipment: Life Scanner IV
Starting skill level Scan Animal: 517.7

First session:
Mob: Ambulimax
Start Scan Animal skill: 517.7
End Scan Animal skill: 529.6
PED used in scanning: 10.14
Skill gained per 10 PED: 11.74

Maybe test using a TT scanner, it had a higher skill gain per PED cycled pre VU10 but I've not tested recently.
I don't recall being any difference of skill gain amongst different mobs but it will be nice to see if there is now.
If you convert your skill level to skill TT value it will be clearer to see if there is a difference with the bigger mobs as it will compensate for skill slowdown but you will need to do lots of scanning!

Cheers,
/MP.

Second session:
Mob: Daikiba
Start Scan Animal skill: 529.6
End Scan Animal skill: 542.7
PED used in scanning: 10.18
Skill gained per 10 PED: 12.87

Maybe test using a TT scanner, it had a higher skill gain per PED cycled pre VU10 but I've not tested recently.
I don't recall being any difference of skill gain amongst different mobs but it will be nice to see if there is now.
If you convert your skill level to skill TT value it will be clearer to see if there is a difference with the bigger mobs as it will compensate for skill slowdown but you will need to do lots of scanning!

Cheers,
/MP.
If this is true, you might as well grind it scanning a sabakuma with the occasional fapping thrown in. Probably not very eco though.

chompers don't bite ;)

If this is true, you might as well grind it scanning a sabakuma with the occasional fapping thrown in. Probably not very eco though.
Even more economical would be to scan Chirpies or Gibnibs. No need for fapping there!

Third session:
Mob: Combibo
Start Scan Animal skill: 542.7
End Scan Animal skill: 550.4
PED used in scanning: 10.10
Skill gained per 10 PED: 7.62

You click your tool and you get a skillgain (maybe). It doesn't care what or who you're targeting, aside from the category it belongs to. Neat and simple.

And that's my theory. :)

Also, this is a test by me that i posted on the DB forum. Might disprove the last of your hypothesises, steff ;)

DarkFire said:
Did a little test to find out if you got more skills/click if your costs were bigger.
For the test i used an ES400 (decay: 0.85 pec) and a lifescanner-IV (decay: 3.25 pec).

After clicking through 100 ped on each scanner, my results were as follows:

ES400: 2.95 ESI worth of Scan Human
LifeScanner-IV: 0.76 ESI worth of Scan Human

Conclusion - more decay does NOT give more skills, at least not when it comes to scanners.

Carry on :)

Fourth session:
Mob: Snablesnot Male
Start Scan Animal skill: 550.4
End Scan Animal skill: 557
PED used in scanning: 10.08
Skill gained per 10 PED: 6.55

I'm beginning to think that 10 PED is too small a sum to produce meaningful statistics. Either that or Daikibas are special when it comes to scanning. Maybe we can invent a new sport: Scawunting.
First you sweat a Daikiba until you are attacked and have lost (say) half of your health. Then you kill the Daikiba and pocket the loot. After that you scan the next Daikiba until your health has been restored. Keep repeating this process.

Well, it's marginally more fun than swunting...

Even more economical would be to scan Chirpies or Gibnibs. No need for fapping there!
Won't they run away a lot even when scanned? Loss of concentration?

You should not be counting skill gains but chip size diference in my opinion. Every next skills you need to gain will take longer than previous (example: it takes much longer to get from 2000 to 2010 than from 500 to 510).

Subscribing

Falagor
:bandit:

Won't they run away a lot even when scanned? Loss of concentration?

Scanning is not a "hostile" action like sweating, attacking or even going too close is. It does not provoke or scare the mob.

Scanning is not a "hostile" action like sweating, attacking or even going too close is. It does not provoke or scare the mob.

In my opinion that this statement is incorrect. Scanning did provoke mob, but simply needs a longer time.

In my opinion that this statement is incorrect. Scanning did provoke mob, but simply needs a longer time.

Yer, just ask that dude whom the Leviathan just killed when it aggro'd after I scanned it with Scanner-IV, first scan too! Funny part is, GD was waaay on the edge of radar and Levi just turned and attacked ^^
The second Levi just sat there for a bit, I gained a few skills, then it came and chewed me up! :eek:

Ossi!

silly question but...what are those skills good for anyway ? :confused:

silly question but...what are those skills good for anyway ? :confused:

Don't think the scanning skill itself is any good......but like sweating there are other skills you get that are. ;)

ok ^-^

I never really tried, so i dont what skills you are talking about tho :silly2:

The only problem i see with your system is that I *think* skills run in a similar fashion as tier levels. Where level 1 might only take 10 clicks, level 2 might take 15, level 3 might take 25 and level 4 might scale back to only 18. The levels arent linear, and are difficult to pinpoint in this fashion. Since you are only running 10 peds through at a time its difficult to really determine much of anything, im so sorry to say. Good initiative though, keep thinking and trying :)

Yer, just ask that dude whom the Leviathan just killed when it aggro'd after I scanned it with Scanner-IV, first scan too! Funny part is, GD was waaay on the edge of radar and Levi just turned and attacked ^^
The second Levi just sat there for a bit, I gained a few skills, then it came and chewed me up! :eek:

Ossi!

Is not a scaning that provoked it.
Its agro range.
You need more than 50 range.
Scaner V maybe will help - 60 range but a lot of decay.
I use ES500 - 80 range.
Scaning make mobs move but if you are out of agro range then mob just move. For robot too. Try miner bot - if you keep distance - like out of 50 meters he will newer attack you, he will just move. Same for lov lvl drones, higer ones have biger agro range.
Hint - fish dont move but as i said you need about 60 range scanner and no other players near to agro it. And a lot of patience to see fish at 50+ range in this post VU10 underwater bad visibility.

About skill gains on different mobs per 10 ped.
As you proggress your gains (chat message of gained skill) will become every time more sporadic. At lvl 0 you start with 1 to 3 skill gains on single click but latter on higher lvl you start count empty scan clicks before skill gain message show in chat.
To do statistic you shud start with each mob on same scaning lvl.
Mean you shud chip out all gained skills after each different mob what i dont see ussefull and easy lol.

Scaning make mobs move
AFAIK they move no matter if they are scanned or not.

I'm not incorrect, at least not on this point. Mob may be provoked by someone going too close, but they don't care about being scanned. Try scanning some low aggro mobs or scan from outside aggro range and you'll see.

AFAIK they move no matter if they are scanned or not.

True and after VU10 some pach they move a lot more.
If you get small mob like bery, pull its healthbar and aoutoscan on him and observe rest of bery crowd you get feeling that your bery move a lot more than others. Same for feffoid and maffoid.
Maybe is just feeling, you know after 10k of scaning one bored to death start to see his imagination as result of some frustration lol.

Last edited:
Back